Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike It wrote (see)

Fingers - 910XT only advantage is recording swim info for triatheletes I think otherwise the spec is the same as the 310XT

Yes my mistake - Ive got the 405CX.
    Does the 310XT do the job as looks like its a fair bit cheaper?

• Wow.
    HB to OO and Ant was it?
    Fantastic 20 there Jools. I was toast after doing one at 8:30m/m, and you post 7:59m/m. Respect.
    Plan is for me to do a 20 miler this morning, and back for lunch. However, a quick 30 mins in the kitchen became an hour, and then the almighty hit the fan: the washing machine broke. I've just finished fixing it.
    That means I'll have to do my 20miles at 1:30m/m, or adjust my target completion.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

FINgers: it looks like RW have joined forces with certain companies such as Adidas to make their names become automatic links to the products in question.  Not sure I'm a great fan.

• Joolska wrote (see)

FINgers: it looks like RW have joined forces with certain companies such as Adidas to make their names become automatic links to the products in question.  Not sure I'm a great fan.

Mmm, Adidas - sportswear, so I can kind of get that, but money lending at 1000000% APR (representative)...... a bit more questionable.

• Birch,DS2 Hi.....

Ok only ever done 1 HM in 1hr.33 min back in March, never done a 10k race but im down to about 41 atm on training runs.

Im 29 years old and do lots of Road and Mtb and have ticked over running wise 15-35 mpw depending if i was training for a Marathon etc.

I have been running for the last 2 years injury free, generally off up to 3 runs and a few bike rides of up to 60 miles all varying with weather and life commitments.

In the last few weeks i have been running 3-4 runs around 32 miles that consist something like this

run 1 - 8 miles @ 7.20 ish  

run 2- 8 miles @  6.50 ish

run 3 - 16-18 miles @ 7.50 ish ran progressive finishing faster than MP

And maybe a optional run around 7- 8 miles at MP                                                                     

Blisters wrote (see)

Evening All. Especially the knowledgeable and experienced TR.
    Hello to Carbloader, I see that you have an interesting approach to race preparation. This shows to me that you are not a sheep, but like to challenge the perceived wisdom. That's a characteristic in many of the very best athletes. However, there's a lot of experience held by the sheep. When you reach a performance plateau, that's the time to trash the existing training regime and review what's missing.
    FWIW, I think that your programme is typical of a certain type of athlete. You've certainly got the pyhsical capability of achieving sub 3:00, let alone 3:15. The speed is fine, but speed builds lactic acid, and is combatted by lactic threshold training. But before that stage you need the basic raw endurance. That's where the current gap can be seen, and it's a major gap. Endurance. TR suggests the simple edict of more miles per week. The key run in any marathon programme is the 20 miler. The biking you have done recently is a good basis, but nothing at all in the world can replace the 20 miler. Funny things happen in the later stages of a marathon.
    I know someone who did 3 fast marathons in consecutive seasons, then under trained and delivered an impressive crash boom 1:30/2:00 split.

Hi guys n Gals, bit of an update for you.

Got the milage up to around 40 mpw now and feeling good,although i think i still need to add that medium long run though. Im not going to do a P&D or any other plan as i think its a bit too restrictive as i like to just go out and do a session depending on how im feeling bar the long run which i have to prepare for time wise etc.

Got a garmin 310 for crimbo so that has helped loads too, lots better than running with an iphone strapped to the arm.

Did a 53 mile road ride at a fairly brisk 18.3 mph avg and now out on my log run of around 17 miles, not sure how the legs will hold up lol.

Anyway enough babble from me........Happy running

• Blisters - Thanks for the thought, but in fact no b'day for me - though I do feel more than a year older than I did a year ago...

Lorenzo - How about the Santander HM on 3rd march? You know you'd love to!

Minni - Can't you just watch those spinning DVDs on YouTube?

Slokey - Interestingly, I've been waiting for the "is this for you or for me?" beast to rear its ugly head, but so far it hasn't. 

Sensational weather over here, 2-3ºC first thing in the mornings but not a cloud in sight. Great for running, so 8 miles done today following on from 8.5 yesterday. Even did two of those hill sprints - actually quite good fun!

Starting to feel that higher mileage (at least sufficient to get myself on a Marathon start line in adequate shape) is going to be possible.

• Lorenzo - I'd love to get Mrs GD into running, but I think the best I could hope for is her cycling while I run. See anything good at the theatre?
    Bike It - enjoyed doing hill sprints last year, but there's only one hill within a reasonable distance and it's on a main road in darkness outside of daylight hours, so a big no-no this time of year. Wise move to play it safe.
    Keir - interesting reading your thread, but no time to de-lurk.
    Mennania - hop ethe visit to the fizz went OK.
    SBD - clocking up some good mileage.
    Jools - nice LSR and stonking mileage. Good luck at the XC championships. I did my "long" run today; not sure why, actually.
    Martin - they were planned as relaxed, but "slightly tense" would probably be a better description! Do I detect the mara target creeping down alreadyimage
    OOlg - sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.
    FINgers - don't sweat it; sounds like lots of factors working against you there.
    Ant - looks like one of those drop-leaf tables.
    FW - sounds like a good session.
    Minni - slowest? I don't think so.
    SJ - a good day's work.
    RFJ - nice track session.
    Birch - like the 3-2-1 session. My pacing is all over the place at the moment after weeks of the slow stuff.
    Bike It / FINgers - sorry, you've lost me with all that garmin-talk.
    SBD - target this year is a sub 40 10k in May and a sub 90 HM in October.
    Lorenzo - 20 miler in the bag! Good luck with the new job.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wow, Gul takes the dutiful readback award!  I don't think you've missed a thing!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Have just come back from a 'Jools' (aka 20m week day run). 2hr35min - 7.45m/m. Hilly. 

I have the 310xt. Also noticed it took ages to find sats and new updates seem to have helped. If it ain't broke, don't risk trying to fix it SBD. Lorenzo - Lydd is flat and fast so long as there is no wind (it is on the exposed Romney Marsh) I did my pb there last year. 

Off to kidz planet - indoor play centre. Should be good for some post run intervals / bending and stretching. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very impressed you fix your own washing machine Blisters. Don't think we can class that as cross training though. Home from the Lakes now. Hoping to squeeze in a few PM miles before a few B/day beers with my running pals.

You must have a very organised mind Gul image

• Jools - dutiful? It's a joyimage
    Keir - nice one.
    OOlg - sorry, you've lost me there!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Fingers - Yes I rate the 310XT - it does everything I want and is reliable. The plus points are a large capacity battery that would last the whole of an ultra marathon, it is waterproof which is ideal for just regular running in the UK and easy to switch mode to cycling.

Is Friday the new Sunday?  I've quite lost my orientation of where I am in the week  with all these 20 milers happening

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Blisters - mending one of those is more impressive than any run

Re 310XT - mine is virtually new with software 4.5, works well but the virtual opponent is over complocated (or I'm stupid)? Long battery life is a real bonus.

Ant - tell her it's a Laura Ashley or Cath Kidston radiator cover from El B y El Q or Juan Lewis. She wont suspect a thing.

Nice long runs happening. Couple of hard days here, yesterday 5m in the morning then evening track session of 8m inc. 5x1m @ about 6.10mm. Then 21.2 this am @ 8.10. Legs a bit tired now.

"Carry on everybody, you've all done very well"
  • Actually, she came in and went "Oh, I see my exercise bike has arrived."

I am amazed at some of the mileage you lot are putting in. Poacher, your legs are a bit tired? Hmm, wonder why that is?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just stockpiling some miles as there's an ultra on Saturday week then spending rest of month abroad and unlikely to be able to train meaningfully. Presumably MrsAnt will spend the rest of the month watching you monopolise the bike thing. image

• Carbloader, that’s the spirit. 50 miles on the bike, 17 in the legs, and a proper mileage week. Are you going to be keeping the bike miles going as the target marathon approaches? There are a few who do the biking as well, but time and energy wise it can take out a session that  could have been used for running.

Gul, I noticed that you slipped in a mention of your 20 miler. Well done.
    Poacher, another impressive 20, and 8:10m/m is worth a mention.
    Jools, worthy of two mentions for that 7:59m/m.

OK chaps and chapesses, I did manage to get out for 21.6 miles, the last 3 felt OK, despite being uphill, so I worked the pace. Then I started to realise that I might make it home inside 3 hours. That little figure was a blast from the past. With an effort, I stopped the clock at 2:59:57. That made 8:20m/m. Happy.

• Blisters- Yeah im going to keep the miles the up on the bike regardless,maybe even increase!!. I enjoy cycling as much as running but running takes more time to keep your fitness at a certain level, where as i can stay prettty fit on the bike of 1 hard 50 miler etc

• Great effort Blisters - Mr Fixit and a 20 miler on one day. 

Ant - what was your reply to Mrs Ant?

Battery life on a Garmin - I've got a 305 and never had a problem when doing an Ultra.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Lorenzo - I'd love to get Mrs GD into running, but I think the best I could hope for is her cycling while I run. See anything good at the theatre?

Cycling's good as well - John O'Groats to Lands End together?

We saw "The Children and Animals Took to the Streets" - very innovate, rather bizarre but one of those productions that you remember. Having started the day with a tour at the National Gallery and finished with a Cambodian meal, it was certainly a varied and packed itinerary!!!

• I was only planning on 18m tomorrow. Feel like I am the thread wimp!

• Don't worry Also-ran, you're way ahead of me - I've got 10 tomorrow and my LSR is a measly 15m on Sunday.
  • Yes, AR, I agree with FINgers. I'm doing 6 tomorrow and then 13-14 on Sunday. That would make a 45-mile week, which is where I want to be at this stage. It's early doors, so no point in burning too many matches too soon.

Lorenzo - I said I hadn't realised, but that I did think I'd heard the sound of camel hoofs in the night.

• Some superb efforts going on. Was it a 2p in the pump Blisters? I did 4.6 this morning at 9m/m  Going to build up to 12 tomorrow at slow pace again.  AR - deferred the VO2 max and LT test due to leg being niggly but have got them calling me back on Monday to rearrange. Am looking forward to it with some trepidationimage.

The shoes I was looking at seemed to be speedy and shorter distance stuff (upto 10m) so maybe not - but at 50 notes it might be worth a go for half marathons and progressive runs? Need some suggestions for a good neutral shoe please.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm only up to 16M so far too (I'm only just back into double digit run length). The 20s can wait til February, I'm still saving matches not burning them.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Was just admiring your ability to remember all the posts you want to comment on Gul- very impressive.

Somebody gave me a £30 sports voucher for my B'day- wondering if I can get some shoes in the sale for that image 

• LSRs... Pah

I'm going for a full 6miler on Sunday - eat that!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Some cracking long runs - inc Poacher following a double day with mile reps, and even more impressively, Blisters following the spanner & wrench wielding . . . .
    are you still doing Gloucester in a fortnight's time? 
    Another silly o'clock effort from Gul
    Speedy -
    are you at Wollaton Park tomorrow? 
    Poacher - no not gravel; had to be these with living where I do

/members/images/396841/Gallery/Steel_Shavings.jpg

actually I did try a gel once, but got flustered fumbling with the foil - took me back a bit. . . .image
    Shoes - just ordered some Asics 1170's at half price from Sweatshop  -  still had the main sizes as of half hour ago  . . .
    Good weekend running, all - have arranged a 7:30 start for 10.5 mile circuit - think my companions may end up with a dozen as they loop back for me  . . .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great Edinburgh XC on BBC1 tomorrow.  1pm. 

• Ohh Mennania - LT test - let me know how you get on, I've often toyed with the idea but not sure on the benefits.

Can't do advice on neutral shoes I'm afraid - I'm a super-over-pronator and if my podiatrist would have his way would have me running in bricks. I can just about get away with kayanos and orthotics but nursing a post-tib injury back so need to be very careful. I have raced in DS Racers in the past but haven't tried since the foot damage.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Whilst the XC is on the TV I shall be battling the joys of the Hants XC Champs tomorrow, all 12k of it....

some good running going on

Cannot comment on the 310 as have the 305, no issues with that as yet...image

• FINgers. With regards to shoes, I am also officially an over-pronater. In fact there are so many of us, and so few supinaters that I wonder whether the median isn't inaccurate. Sorry, that was a side-track thought. Shoes: I've had many different people analyse my gait. One chap at Nike got more and more extreme shoes out of the rack until he was happy, and I could hardly lift them up. After that I suddenly twigged a thought. My knees and ankles have been operating quite normally in their current positions, and if I alter the angles I will be trying to wear different wear tracks in the joints. That will surely spell trouble.

Also Ran. Just tag on a couple more miles if you're still feeling OK and join the flab busting party.

Mennania. Not a 2p in the washing machine pump, but it turned out to be simple (temporary fix). If you must know, the door was jammed by the electronic lock, yes, with a load of wet towels refusing to spin.
    I had to hump the whole machine out and disconnect the waste pipes to manually drain it. Open up the back and lid and THINK. Then I spotted the loose connector block that was the feed from the door lock. The hammering overloaded drum (blame the wife) had clearly clonked the wiring and a standard Post Office rubber band was needed to hold everything in place.
    Postie Postie. Thanks.

And now, cooking for a secret birthday party, just about complete.