Sub 3h15

Comments

• Birch, thanks for the pointer to the 1170's - I have two pairs of 1160's that I have trashed or run into the ground recently, and my cheap source of 1160's had dried up - perfect timing.

Blisters - I wasn't being entirely serious about the 20's. Trying to be a bit more constrained this time and keep it to 6 or 7 20's. But, am impressed by all the midweek and weekend mileage being clocked. Surely OO's secret birthday party is out nowimage

• Belated welcome to the newbies

Belated birthday wishes to OO

Quite a few impressive 20 milers being posted already. I was planning on maybe increasing my 15 miles to 18 at the weekend.

After my rest day (missing my 13 miler out), I was due 9 with 4 at tempo today. After reading about intervals on here, I decided to cut out the tempo but mix and match. 13 miles with mid 7 at PMP. Hoping for 6:51, but came in at 6:54 and getting progressively slower (last 2 were 7mm plus). It was also a hell of a lot closer to tempo than PMP effort. Hopefully look back and shrug type run.

I went for a new pair of shoes yesterday, but didn't have anything to suit me in stock. I bought a new Blu ray player instead. Not quite sure how that happened.

• I was only planning on 18m tomorrow. Feel like I am the thread wimp!

• I'm very happy with the 305, and dread to think what I'll have to fork out for when it gives up the ghost. By the way, I don't even know what a bevel is.

A-R - See earlier comments. Wimp?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ant - I expect they're on YouTube. I could post a video of me doing it but that involves dogs trying to climb on, shouting at children and stopping for the odd glass of wine mid session!image
  • Gul, I like the way you are running late @ 7.15 in the morning after a 13 miler - hardcore!

Good to hear you've bagged a 20 miler so early in the year Lorenzo (4 days in). How many are you planning on doing? In regards to HM, I'd be tempted to do a flat HM so Dorney (although boring laps) would be my option. As it is flat it pretty much replicates VLM so a good indication to form on a (pardon the pun) level playing field. A hilly HM would be a good training run however, so depends on what you want to get out of it.

And WOW another 20 miler from Keir - nice pace. Again, how many are you planning in your campaign?

And Blisters too with a sub (just) 3 hour 21 miler.

Glad I'm not the only one not donig 20's at the moment TR. I just starting my mara training on Monday so a few weeks behinbd most on here.

Also Ran - I'm only doing a 13 miler on Sunday, probably mostly cross country though.

• KR - good thoughts re Dorney - thanks. I PB'ed (1:28) there a couple of years ago so would be a good benchmark. Will mull it over.

Planning on getting at least 5 20 milers in, but if I can do one every couple of weekends between now and end March that wld be good. May follow some advice from Poacher a while ago and try and get in a 26+ at very slow pace into the mix. The one element I'm not convinced about with P&D is the number of long runs - given that everyone says they're the most important element of the programme I would have expected more in the schedule.

Ant - best thing to do if and when the 305 packs up is call Garmin and they'll send you a replacement for £50 (UK price - not sure what it would be for Spain)

No problems if you can do without it for a couple of weeks while you send the broken one back and get the replacement sent to you.

Minni - have I missed something? What sort of video of you "doing it" were you planning to post?! 

• Spooky - a post I made at 17.20 reappeared at 22.24. It wasn't me. But just to be clear, I'm of on my 18miler now.
  • Poacher - very good set of mile reps.
    Blisters - 20 miler? Not me, unless it was a typo. I haven't run one in over 18 months now. Very nice sub 3 20 miler from you though.
    Carbloader - 50 miles! I could barely manage 1 hard 5 miler on the bike - very impressive.
    Lorenzo - John O'Groats to Lands End? We might have to build up to that one slowly!
    AR / FINgers - both beat me. 13 miles in my "long" run distance at the moment. Then again, I'm not in mara trainingimage
    Ant - very sensible.
    TR - ditto.
    OOlg - ah, I see. Sorry to disappoint you, but I make notes as I go along! Happy bargain hunting.
    Birch - enjoy the early startimage
    RFJ - best of luck with the XC.
    SD - still a decent session.
    KR - have you recovered yet? I think I finished my 13 miler at about 6:35, so very late for meimage
    3 mile recovery run @ 9:06 m/m done a while ago to make 44 for the week. Need to keep a lid on the faster stuff next week.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - turbo training!
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I think P&D really values the MLR and these complement what appears to be a slightly lighter approach to the long runs. I think essentially they wrote the 100+ mile plan first, then watered down each run to fit the lighter weekly mileage plan. I assume when people are hitting high weelky mileages, the 'lack' of LSRs is not so apparent. Any comment RJ?

Blisters - You make it sound so easy, but washing machines arn't all that light to lift! image

Well done on keeping it sensible in the build Gul. 

Sounds like a much more sensible (and popular choice) Scooby.

KR - On the plan at the moment are 10 runs between 18 - 22m, 1x 26.2, 1x 33, and 1x17miles. image

Surely you've cleared up all those empties after 5 dry days now Minni.image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Keir that is a meaty set of long ones. The date and pace of the 26.2 and the 33 are obviously crucial, likewise fuelling and refuelling during and after. It's unconventional but it could work to your advantage.

Who else is dry at the moment? How is it going so far
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:38 at the parkrun today. Not bad with a thick head. 15 tomorrow takes me over 50.

Any thoughts on when I should run my first 20 miler in prep for the VLM?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

6M easy today after a much needed rest day yesterday.  Legs are still a little bit tired but should be ok for tomorrow's XC.

Nice parkrunning, OO.

Not dry, Poacher, but plan is to drink less between now and 21.04.13, so definitely alternating alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and perhaps (shock! horror!) only drinking half pints/single shots when having alcoholic drinks.  I'm not a big drinker in any event, but the thought of no post-concert beers or no Friday night beer with my mates is a bit sad.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

Not dry, Poacher, but plan is to drink less between now and 21.04.13, so definitely alternating alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks 

Well done on the Parkrun OO. I'd be pleased to get within 30sec of that time at the moment! But if you haven't run a 20m yet, it is probably too late. Better focus on VLM 2014 instead image

I've just sen some of the new Team Sky kit. Very nice, but surely £240 is a little bit steep for anyone to pay for an anorak? 

• Some good running going on so early in the year.  Fingers crossed for a breakthrough year for alot of us!!

You've got a lot of long runs in your plan Keir.  I think you will have built the endurance!!

Certainly not going dry Poacher.  Not a big drinker anyway so not much difference for me.

Excellent parkrun OO.  My first 20 miler should be in two weeks time.

16.26 miles for me this morning.  First 8m in 60.08 (7.31 pace) & return 8 in 56.24 (7.03 pace).  Second half felt tough but was 1.36 mins faster than the second half of the same run this time last year so a little bit of progress. 

• Is anyone on Strava or Garmin connect here, would be good to see how people are training etc.

Find me on-Garmin-Davecarbhead

Strava-http://app.strava.com/athletes/686272

• Just 4 miles recovery for me this morning, and felt like the Tin Man out of the Wizard of Oz. I have got the tightest hips, and am probably the least flexible person, on Earth.

So I decided to find some exercises to stretch the hips, and came up with these, although that standing half-bound lotus looks like a suicide attempt to me...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - PnD write a plan as a whole, the copy of the 18wk plan I have (I use it for taper guidance), has Tues 10s, Weds 15s and Fri 11s and 12s. There are also some long hard sections in some of the long runs. Its a plan as a whole that needs to be followed as a whole. Stu Leaney and Marigold both ran 2:35 following PnD to the letter.Like Keir says I'm sure that RJ has followed it strictly too.

KR - I've learned not to do too many fast LSRs, too many progressive LSRs too early, too many MLRs too fast, too many MLRs, too many too long MLRs, too long a LSR...etc etc. I'm still in the pre training for the training and saving my matches. Its not about how hard I can train in the build up, its about how I run on the big day, took a while for the penny to drop for me. But I'm sure there will be some folks that start race day with a too few matches left in the box. I'm saving effort not expending it.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

parkrun for me this morning with the family.  Master Minni, Miss Minni's boyfriend (both first timers) and Mr Minni (second time).  Ran with Master Minni with BF about 30 seconds ahead and hubby about 3 minutes behind!  Dead proud of him, he started to tire in the second mile but kept it going.  I encouraged him past a female with a huge bum - well he couldn't be beaten by that, could he? image Then past another 4 in the last few hundred meters.  Finished just under 28:00, I think.  Dead proud of him - I almost wept! image Over 400 runners at Newcastle today.

18 for me tomorrow. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Come to Whitley Bay Minni, not as fast but much more scenic than Newcastle and great with the family. I followed Alyson Dixon  (if u know her) for the whole 5k today but pipped her with a speedy last 50 mts.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice one OO.  She's a fast chick.  Might well come to Whitely Bay - The family seem keen to do more!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My daughter has started coming too, but I couldn't get her ouit of bed today! I'm aiming to attack the V50 course PB at Whitley Bay Parkrun next Saturday- 18:08, I think.

• XC County Champs for me today. Not my best run out ever, but I did enough to qualify to run for Nottinghamshire in the Inter Counties. First time I've qualified rather than being drafted in. I need to re-write my schedule now though, it wasn't in it!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Steady Parkrun this morning in 20:37, could have gone for the win but needed to save myself for XC champs this afternoon...... so settled for a 2nd place...

Part 2 done, glad I didnt go for the win... the course was heavy claggy and slippery to the fact its the first time in many years I have put 12mm spikes in and still not had total grip in some places..... So the Hants XC Champs... I was 89th overall in 51:13 (7.2m) on a mainly undulating and grassy / muddy course (Old Golf Course), splits were 7:11, 7:12, 7:08, 7:10, 7:08, 7:16, 6:58 and a 1:07 for the sprint to the line.... really happy overall as stayed consistant, which meant I was not overtaken for position at all (and when I was I quickly got it back.....) steadily picking of runners as I went..... Was 3rd counter for the club, so cannot complain. Had I gone harder this morning I would not have done that... so happy, a pic can be seen here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/107928467537311515898/HantsChamps2013#5830009999780817778

2.3m of warm up and down making about 12.5m for the day....

• Fantastic result CC2. Qualification by merit leaves a lovely warm glow.
    Great Parkrunning, parkrunners. Nice that you restrained yourself to only outchick your hubby by 3 mins. I wonder when he'll realise just how much you still have left in the tank?

No run for me today, but went for a gentle bike ride. That was the plan. In the end we cracked out 57 miles and by 'eck I was toasted by mile 45. At 53 when we split for home my legs just gave up completely, but nobody was encouraging (beasting) me at that point. Once I was home I fell asleep in the bath until the water went cold.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good running, Speedy.  I doubt very much I will do enough to qualify for the combined Avon/Somerset Intercounties team at tomorrow's XC...

• Excellent XC stuff from Speedy and RFJ - Nice pic from the latter, btw. Were you enjoying a reflective moment, there?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Speedy and the Minni's at Parkrun

Ant for some reason I nearly always have my eyes shut when pics are being taken... even though I do not know it... bizarre....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

RJF - great pic and very well done.  It really motivates me when I read of others doing well and being pleased with their race, especially the tough ones like xc! 

Speedy - see, told you you were speedy!  Well done.  Will you be running in the Nationals in Sunderland?

The 'dry' isn't really going according to plan - busy cooking and everyone has buggered off so having a sneaky glass of white.  image