Sub 3h15

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

That is a swift VLSR on that course Poacher - Well done. Wearing running gear must be a bit of an advantage.

Quite envious of a man with 10 toe nails - is that wrong?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice way to do a vlsr Poacher. There seem to have been loads of eventa on in the Lakes yesterday. 

Well done on the great pacing at the 3000m speedy. Had taper madness not hit yet?

I finished last week on 2.5 miles, 2.5 more than the previous week. image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

AR - so what range of paces did your 400s range over? You could split them into 3 sets. 4 x 400m @ 5k pace, 4 x 400m @5k pace - 3secs, and finish with 4 x 400m @ 5k pace - 6secs.
    Ant - there really is no escape from MacD's! Nice run.
    Windy - wheatbeer will do. Careful with the extreme gardening.
    Lorenzo - 1 in 5 hill sounds terrifying.
    PMJ - great 10k time and scary pic.
    Poacher - great time at Windermere - feet look in good shape, considering.
    OO - nice long run.
    Minni - any news on the calf?
    6 easy miles plus 20-25mins of drills d&d.

• Good outing there Poacher. What is the long term plan? After that sub-3 last autumn I was expecting to see a summer of maybe shorter and faster distances. Definitely a good VLSR but that has to be part of a planned campaign to reap rewards.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Some outstanding performances this weekend from the thread!

Speedy - excellent racing tactics. Like others have said, I wouldn't be too quick to turn that opportunity down. You are clearly in excellent shape, fully recovered from the lurgy, and I'm sure a successful marathon two weeks before will leave your head - and hopefully, your legs - in the right place.

mennania - great report. Excellently judged race.

PMJ - 80%. Fantastic performance. You are clearly getting back to your best.

Poacher - excellent VLSR - although clearly not very slow!!!

Sorry if I missed any other great performances. I had a busy weekend with eldest daughters 17th birthday yesterday and driving lessons etc. I feel pretty old!!! I will try to have a really good read back tonight.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Superb 10k PMJ. Obviously getting back into great nick.

Poacher - Hats off to you sir - a VLSR in 3.20 is mightily impressive.

• Some great racing going on from everyone later over the shorter distances, and the occasional VLSR! I paticully liked the fact that AR was thinking 'why didn't I do a nice 20 miler' while racing 10k, then treated himself to 20 on the treadmill the next day! There's been a lot of trophies and pbs of late from the thread.

I got my first 20 miler of the autumn campaign under my belt yesterday (8.16 pace at 70% heart rate reserve: the upper end of P+Ds recovery HR). A lot more comfortable than any of them last year. Thank you for the advice last week, which was generally - base building. I have now done 6 weeks of 6 runs a week and all of them have been in the 50m/weeks- so it's coming along. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Nice running Poacher! What's next?

Excellent work CC, reminds me of what I love about racing.

Impressive progression for PMJ. Not sure about the picture though.... 

Congratulations to Lorenzo on nicking a sub19 with a dash to the line.

Menn, that Christleton race sounds like quite an event. Well done!

Keir, I'll have you know that my helmet is fairly regularly shaped and not one of the pointy ones! http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1041269/products/giro-air-attack-shield-black---red-road-helmet.aspx

Big training weekend for me, 1hr run immediately followed by 3.5k swim (65min) on Friday, 2hr hard bike ride on Saturday (38miles) then 8.25mile run at 7:45mm yesterday followed within the hour by 86miles on the bike (ave 17.5mph /4hr55min with the last 10 miles being the quickest). That tops me out at a 15hr training week which would have seemed unthinkable a few months ago. Feeling in good shape - just need to get some miles in my legs (208 miles for 2013 so far image)

oh, and had an incident at a busy roundabout yesterday when I had to stop and couldn't get my bliddy foot out of the pedal so fell over and lay in the road like an upturned turtle until one of the (many) stopped drivers got out and unclipped my foot - most embarrassing! (And yes, I did stop my Garmin).

• Great sub 19 minute Parkrun Lorenzo.

Spot on with your spot on 6m/m 10k PMJ - you look like you are in pain in the photo.

Well done at the Windermere mara Poacher, I think you need some nail varnish there to cover up those black toe nails! I have had to “reshape” a couple of my nails post Manchester. Let's just say the summer sandals are staying the wardrobe for a while yet!

Slokey -  a busy weekend indeed. Glad you managed to stop your Garmin - that could have been embarrasing trying to explain the big mile split!

8 mile league race yesterday and a bit disappointed with the 53.00 time. Quite an undualting course with a killer hill. Was running 6.2x miles till said hill between 4 & 5 and it wiped me out (7.34 mile). Managed to recover and put in a 6.18 mile 7 to feel relatively strong at the end. Must do more hill work!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well done on your 10k PMJ. That's a very decent time.

Incredible Poacher that you can knock a 3:20 mara and call it a VLSR!

After three days of slackness I decided enough is enough and did a 5k lunchrun along the seafront today. A strong easterly made the 1st half a tad unpleasant and pushed on abit in 2nd half for a 4:04 average pkm. Felt really hard but enjoyed that run.

• The official results of the 3k are out and.... I'm still not in them image. I've emailed the team manager, he'll want to fix it to ensure we get our points. Anyway, the girl who came third ran 10.56.3 and she wasn't right behind me, so I may even have ducked under 10.56. I wonder if I'll ever know!

• Speedy, I've been looking at the UKWAL schedule and that is one hell of a schedule. This is the UK Women's Athletics League and has 4 divisions with 8 teams per division and 3 matches a year. The premier league has matches in London, Manchester and Edinburgh and has a team from Swansea: that is a big commitment from anyone. My daughter is running for Exeter (division 3) with a home match, Leeds (560 miles round trip) and Bedford (480 miles round trip) which is not too bad but still over 1000 miles for 2 races of 200m each.

• It definitely seems like the More Mile mantra is paying off big time on this thread. I'm not envious of the short distance races with long commutes. I had this theory that I was only really interested in doing a race if my commute to the event took less time than the actual race.

**exceptions to the loose rule can be made if additional warm up/warm down can be added in to save the day from being wasted.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice training JD, Slokey, Gerard.   KR that's still a decent workout

PMJ - the plan was - go short and fast-ish over the summer, this time with more LRs thrown in, then go for it in Abingdon as i'm still sure there's a 2.55 in there. However it now looks as if foreign trips will take crucial weeks out the equation. FCO kidnap warnings are a good excuse for staying indoors & keeping the head down image. Plan B is - get as fit as poss and maybe try to make VLM no.50.

No training tomorrow - off to the Chelsea Flower Show - hurrah!

• DS2 - it was my eldest daughters 30th birthday earlier this year, now that did make me feel old.

Every year before London I have done the full 26.2 as a VLSR. The last few times I have done it a little earlier in the training (early Feb). It provides me with a good indicator for my race target and every year I have done a race pb was also a VLSR pb. There is usually 15 to 20 mins between the two as my training route is much tougher than London with over 2,500 ft of ascent and descent.

Last year:

VLSR 26.2     03:13  pb

VLM               02:57 pb

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

One gear - that does make me feel a bit better!!image

I'm sure it can be a good thing to run a VLSR before. According to my Garmin at Halstead there was just over 3000 ft of ascent. I'm not sure how accurate that is but my long runs invariably have more climbing than that because of where I live so I'm sure that helped.

Looking forward to a flat one at Aningdon. Not sure how much 'faster' that is compared to Halstead???

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

JD3 - well done on bagging the first 20 miler. Sooo looking forward to doing that in the not too distant future.
    SJ - great weekend of training. Just need to keep your feet on the groundimage
    KR - good effort in the league race - what are hills?
    GM - nice nippy lunchtime run.
    Speedy - after all that effort you just have to get your points. Hope it gets sorted.
    PMJ - that's a lot of travelling for 2 x 200m !
    Poacher - don't forget to say hello Lorenzo's mate Alan.
    OG - thanks, now I feel young 'cos my daughters are only 12 and 15 image
    9 slow miles this morning.

• OG - so your VLSR is, er, only 2 mins slower than my PB. Ouch! Sounds like you'd recommend it in the build up so might have to see how I feel come February.

Gul - I've moved onto pastures new so I'm afraid Alan is in my dim and distant past. Might get a chance to meet Charlie Dimmock in the not too distant future though.

Poacher - have a great time. Green fingers, black toes - you sound like something out of The Gruffalo!

DS2 - don't worry. Abingdon is a lot flatter and consequently much faster than Halstead. Weather conditions should also be in your favour.

PMJ - that's alot of travelling but what price can you put on a "proud Dad moment"? Thankfully younger Lorenzito prefers the 800m so at least I get a couple of minutes worth of entertainment / parental stress.

SJ - impressive Jeremy Beadle moment on the bike. Did anyone get any pictures?

I've got two nights away on another tour of the UK's top tourist spots, so can anyone recommend good running routes in either Doncaster or Sunderland?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Lorenzo! I take it you have run both?

I'm targeting 3:10 which I think should be a reasonable goal. 5 easy miles this morning at 8;13mm average. Felt like a jog to be honest. I seem to have recovered quite well.

Slokey - we've all been there but it did make me laugh, nonetheless!

• DS2 - yes. I've done Halstead once - a very warm run in which I suffered badly from cramp from about 18 miles and somehow struggled home. 3 times at Abo, including 2 PBs. Even though I didn't make it a hat trick on the third time, I had the pleasure of running most of it with MsE which more than made up for the disappointment. image

• Slokey - What a scare - I mean, you could have destroyed all your stats, right there.

8 miles for me this morning incl. 8 x 500m. They came out at an av. 5:37mm pace. In fact, I planned to do 10 reps, but the first one came out @ 5:08mm and rather put paid to the rest of the session...

In terms of time they went 1:36, 1:42, 1:44, 1:48, 1:45, 1:47, 1:45 & 1:48 at which I decided enough was enough.

Quite happy, though, especially as my feeet were really sore after Sunday's hilly effort and felt like they'd been repeatedly bashed on the soles like that bloke in Midnight Express.

Public holiday todayimageimage.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice reps Ant. Has it stopped raining yet?

Lorenzo - the first year I did Halstead it was roasting and I was just glad to finish! This year it seemed constantly undulating but not really hilly so I'm not sure how much a flatter course will translate to. I think I was pretty lucky with the weather. it was about 16 degrees for the second half but a bit windy but I felt they were generally on my side.

SJ - I once stopped to let an ambulance pass in a lane and fell into a ditch because I couldn't unclip. Then I started to panic as I slipped down the embankment and my head disappeared under the water with the bike still strapped to my legs above my head. I was, fortunately, rescued ...........................by the ambulance I stopped for...........turned out the lady driver wasn't on an emergency call. Pretty embarrassing.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just reading back.

DS2 - that story is frightening, sounds like you were lucky. I don't own a bike (borrow my wife's occasionally) so wouldn't know what to do with those foot clips or whatever you call them

Poacher - Enjoy the CFS, you there on business or for pleasure?

Ant - Nice session there and enjoy the public holiday. When I was out in Isla's Canarias there seemed to be a public holiday at least once a month.

Lorenzo - judging by what you said I don't think I will be doing Halstead anytime soon. Abingdon sounds like a very popular choice though, whereabouts is that and how many runners does it attract?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Gerard - Halstead is a brilliant event, but pretty tough, I think. I intend to do it every year (done 3 now) but now I have my GFA will do it as a 'nice to do' in future years and target VLM as my A race.

Abingdon is by the Thames in Oxfordshire, although I think it was Berkshire at one time??? It sells out really quickly but it may be possible to pick up a place later on once people decide not to partake. Others on here will know better than me so I wait to stand corrected.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

DS - Thanks for the heads up. I am rubbish at running up hills of any sort. Did some winter training in a very hilly part of Tenerife this year and hated it. I have practised but I just don't seem to get any better at them. Abingdon is something to think about for the future. I'm focusing on the Jesey marathon which is in October and guess what, it's hilly!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I love hills Gerard, seem to be good at running up them and often gain places in races.

Stinker of a cold here, might do a slow one tonight but the mid week 10k tomorrow is a definate no show image  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

00 you'd like the Jersey mara course then. First 3 miles are flat as a pancake and then you climb for approx 7 miles. There is a 2 mile downhill section between miles 20-22 I will look forward to that bit! Sorry to hear about your cold and missing the 10k but it's the sensible decision.

Another 5k lunch run today, progressive splits 4:30, 4:29, 4:24, 4:13, 4:12. Felt like a good workout and wanted to average 7mm.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Yikes DS2, that must have been a scary moment. I seem to fall off my bike every other week, mostly due to unclipping faux pas with an occasional head on collision but in future I will console myself with a quick thought of "at least I didn't drown!"

No pictures Lorenzo, thankfully - could have been a YouTube moment if someone was so minded. image

Holiday again Ant? It's no wonder the euro zone is in such a shabby state. Get some work done!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Indeed it was Slokey. I was a pretty novice cyclist at the time and new to SPD's. Initially I was thankful to be 'saved' but felt somewhat embarrassed shortly after! I think there is little worse than that moment when you realise that you are going to fall and there is nothing you can do - it all seems to happen so slowly!

• Slokey/Gerard/DS2 - Eh? What's that? Sorry, I was having a little nap...when in Rome, and all that.

I went to have some x-rays done recently, to see if there was a day's work in me. The results were inconclusive.