Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Well done Jools and RFJ, those are excellent times over an 'orrible distance.

Birch - Tidy mileage from you, Sir - are you totally off the bench now?

Gerard - I'm 6ft3 and weigh 84kgs. My ideal marathon/race weight is 80kgs, any less than that and I start getting abuse from Mrs. Ant. And my trousers start falling down.

O.k., it's not orange, but check out the funky t-shirt I got at the HM on Saturday - it would look great on Mrs. Mennania:

/members/images/83537/Gallery/camiseta2013.jpg

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Interesting question Frazer. I've messed about with various methods in races recently.        

I guess you have to take the assumption that the course distance is accurate, and work to that. E.g Newbury 10k measured 6.43m. Whether the course is long, or gps is inaccurate won't be remembered in the future when I recall the race for 13th place. I've often dispayed the gps accuracy and in the open it reports 30 to 40 ft, getting worse in urban/covered area. Recent races included:

1. Used Garmin GPS for current pace and lap pace and ave pace. Don't like this where the margins are tight. Ave pace has been unreliable due to GPS inaccuracy. Current lap pace is Ok, for a rough guide, and current pace is too jumpy to rely on.

2. Used a time band, and Mile markers to check progess and also,

3. marked laps manually and dsiplay average Lap Time, along with current lap pace. Worked great at VLM, but too many races with dodgy / missing mile markers - even in big races like Reading Half Marathon. 

So recently I took a backward step in technology and turned gps off, but used a garmin footpod that I use on the treadmill. I have calibrated this on a track, for a specific set of trainers. I used this in a 10k race with lots of tree cover and it seemed to workout well. Provided it is calibrated, you get current pace, lap pace, ave pace etc

One option is to have gps on which supplies ave pace and lap pace, with the footpod supplying current pace and cadence data.

So, not helped with an answer - but some info on my recent tinkering

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great HM Ant, marathon Speedy and 10k Jools & RFJ.  (RFJ Always Aching was asking if you still posted on here because she has a random photo of you from London.  I'll get her to post it)

Speedy - well pleased for you.  I couldn't believe it when I saw it on FB.  After missing London then feeling some sessions were a bit hard on the effort side it was great to see you run such a fantastic time.  You must the thrilled.  Very well done.

Fraser - in London I had my garmin set to show total average pace and lap pace.  I manually lapped at each mile but the mile time was always different to what the average was showing.  In the end my garmin showed an overall average pace of 7:26 but the average pace on my finish time was 7:28. image  You can't beat the old fashioned watch and pace band - but make sure your pace band is easy to read on the run, and when it gets wet.  Those lucozade ones have had it by about 10 miles!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Minni - used to post with AA a while back on the 3;30 thread a few years back.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yep RJF I was there too.  A couple of old faces have just reappeared on the 3:30 thread - 3:30 or bust and caterpillar girl.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Been away for a few days so had to settle for a quick skim. Loved your report AR- always enjoy a sprint finish.

Congrats Speedy, you really delivered. I think that one has been brewing a while. 

• Options

The route we've been training on is pretty much traffic free. The thing is though you do really get caught out and need to dive for the bottom of the hedge.  Got a bit embroiled in the Gran Fondo -image - there was probably 400+ doing the 100 mile route on Sunday!!! www.d2ride.co.uk

• Options

Cracking report Ant - we were in that area when we were over in Asturias a few years back and I can vouch for the fact that it's a. beautiful and b. not flat. 1:31:xx on that course is pretty darn impressive. What's up next?

Speedy - I am so, so chuffed for you. All the hard work has paid off and provided you with a fantastic springboard for what I'm sure will be a successful attempt on sub-3 next time around. Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh (apart from the heavy breathing!) - hope you enjoy the post-Edinburgh celebrations even more.

Second day on the trot out on the bike for me - arranged to meet up with Mrs L and the Lorenzitos down on the South Coast so had a very enjoyable 60 mile trip down there. Ideal cycling conditions and very pleasant apart from the final hill at a place aptly called High and Over. Followed that with a walk, a pub lunch and another walk onto the Seven Sisters. Perfect Bank Holiday Monday. image

• Options
    Blisters wrote (see)

My hands are wrecked & back is tight. Moisturiser? I think I need that Norwegan stuff.

The 3:00:08 Norwegian lady who Speedy didn't catch?  She'd probably make your back worse.image

Speedy - enjoyed the report, it reminded me of my vomit-fest attempt at Edinburgh in 2010, power station, dirt track and cows, and glad to see the plastic matting is still there.  A mixture of space walk and jelly effect, Edinburgh should carry a health warning about that finish at the race course.  Probably cost the Norwegian lass her 8 seconds!

Ant, very tough picturesque race, not sure video of the air punch at the end had the full beans.  Looked like a TFFT air punch.

GM, I'm 6ft2 and 77kg, over 25kg lighter than my rugby days and only know that as I stepped on the scales last night for a comical how much weight could you lose 'after a pee' contest with the kids.  Don't worry much about my weight it is what it is.  Hope smoke free is continuing.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Great report AR. It’s only a matter of time before you stumble over a fast flat course and do that 10k some real damage.

Beautiful race pic Ant. Time isn’t really a thing to focus on over a course like that.

FANTASTIC RESULT Speedy! 7min pb! Get in. I love the bit in your report where you say they were pacing pretty well for men, then they both blow up! What have you got planned now to capitalise on your form? You’re not running an autumn marathon? 

• Options

Does the absence of early morning posts mean that Gul is actually having a relaxing holiday?!

Recovery run in the rain for me this morning. All 5ft11 and 71kg of me got wet.  

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - You are practically a giant in Asturian land!! Nice clip of the finish. Another pink race t-Shirt..... Looks much nicer than the VLM one though. Defo would like to get to Northern Spain one day, it really appeals.

Windy - Smoke free is continuing (1st weekend without) even if it is a mind bender, but will persevere. We've come this far as they say. 77kg for 6'2 is light. I like food and wine too much so will never be skinny, eat even more now I have kicked the habit.

Weather not looking too good for race tonight! Looking forward to run though.

• Options

Thanks for all the congratulations folks. The best thing is that I really enjoyed it. There are actually some nice photos of me smiling as I run in to the finish. Shame they're £14. 

No autumn marathon for me this year. I've already paid out for two marathons, even if I only ran one of them. I plan a summer of track rounded off with the GNR and the Robin Hood half after I've had a bit of a rest. So far I'm enjoying eating dairy again and have indulged in a cappucino, a slice of cheesecake, a pizza and a bar of Galaxy. Just today left for gluttony then I'd better behave myself or I'll make myself ill. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You've got me worried now Speedy- there's a serious chance you'll beat me in the GNR image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good parkruns by PMJ, Poacher, Menna

Good report and 10k race AR

Great HM Frazer and Ant. Great reports too.

Brilliant marathon Speedy! Sub 3 on its way

1 sec of a PB all things considered is a great 10k Jools.

Good negative split 10k RFJ

I ran the Newry Half Marathon on Sunday. My HM PB is 1:23:00 on a faster course but decided to have a go at breaking it considering I’d PB in a 10k and Marathon over the past few months. It was only 20 days since running the Belfast Marathon but I was feeling well recovered.

The course is mostly flat with one serious hill at around half way. To PB I had to run under 6:20 pace so decided to try and run 6:15 pace from the start. I knew the hill would knock me back but hoped I could regain most of the lost time coming down the other side.

The first 6 miles were comfortably completed with splits of 6:16, 6:11, 6:13, 6:16, 6:14 and 6:15 so I was very pleased as I reached the steep hill. I ignored my pace running up the hill and concentrated on keeping my HR level. I’ve worked too hard on hills in the past and suffered afterwards so only let my HR climb from 167 to 168 BMP which is about 95%. This mile was completed in 6:58 and my average pace was now 6:20 after being 6:14 before the hill.

I’d hoped to regain some of the lost time running down hill but only managed a 6:20 and was struggling. Although it was flat I continued to struggle and the 9th mile took 6:32 and my average pace had slipped to 6:22.

The 10th mile took 6:24 and with just 5k to go I realised a PB was slipping away. I had been about 10 - 20m behind a guy for most of the race who looked about my age so decided to target him. I slowly closed the gap over the next mile and was about 5m behind him and recorded a 6:16. I drew equal with him over the next mile and we ran side by side for a 6:17.

We caught 2 other guys going into the last mile and I tried kicking away from the 3 of them. I pulled a bit clear and was giving it everything I had. The last full mile took 6:11 and I heard others closing in on me entering the final straight. One guy went past and I tried kicking again to keep with him.

I couldn’t quite stay with him but recorded 5:07 pace for the last 0.1 mile to the finish. I did beat the guy I targeted earlier by 2 seconds. 

I was delighted to cross the line seeing 1:22:50 on the clock and ended up with a chip time of 1:22:48 for a 12 sec PB. It was also over 3 minutes faster than I had run that course before.  Yippee, job done! I finished in 7th place out of 591 and the first over 40 years old. I think I’ll be getting a prize in the post!image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Badbark, that was a properly gripping report. Well done on the PB! I think I'm going to try and learn from your example and make sure I use the runners ahead of me to drag me round in races, rather than thinking 'no chance of a PB now...' based on my watch.

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

AR. Thanks for your thoughts on garmin s etc. interesting that you found the footpad reliable though only if calibrated to you, a given pace and specific trainers!  Think I'll just set the virtual partner to rumatey e a minute faster than goal time for my next HM ie just over 1% quicker then hope when the sh1t hits the fan at mile 10 I can really pull my finger out. Good to have done a half to remind myself they really hound b hurting in the late miles if you're doing them properly. Even from the gun they should be feeling comfortably hard in my view. 

Great racing BadBark. Good to be in the prizes and impressive so soon after a full on marathon. Mighty effort to pull a 6.10 so late in the race. Always tough to pull it back when you think a PB is slipping mid race. Out of interest was that manual lapping for those splits ?

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Excellent PB BadBark and so soon after Belfast too. That report was as Literatin says gripping what a turnaround in the last few miles that was a very courageous effort.

• Options

Great run there badbark, have to keep an eye on all these fast young 40+ people about. Top 10 is always a happy place to be, 7th and first vet is even better. Are all your PBs now tidy and up to date or any out of line?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Fraser - use a stopwatch so you can keep an eye on your elapsed time in your next 1/2, but run it to feel and learn to listen to your body rather than a predetermined pace that a gadget tells you.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good advice, unless your body is saying things like 'Why are you doing this to me?' 'Walk don't run' and 'This hurts, are you mad or something?' in which case I find ignoring my body to be the best method!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Indeed, its telling you that it can't but really it can, you just have to find that out for yourself.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Excellent running Badbark. A nice shiny new PB is always good, so is actually winning (I imagine).

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

PB and first old fogey! Congratulations Badbark image

After such a leap in performance this year the obvious question is can you go on another step in the autumn / spring? It must be tempting to give it another solid crack to see what 2 great back to back campaigns can do....

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

8k race done and dusted tonight in 31:31, report to follow later.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done GM. Is that the time you were hoping for?

Jools, did you run round Bristol harbour tonight? Wasn't sure if I saw you..,

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

TR.  in some ways I feel I've done the perceived effort low tech route in recent races. Think I need to make myself push harder all the way through and i think maybe i need a little gadget bullying me. No one size fits all solutions to these little conundrums eh

How's it going Keir? Are you fit ???

• Options

Brilliant stuff Badbark! Prize in the post? I've only ever qualified for a prize twice, and on both occasions the awards ceremonies took place so long after the event that  I was at home, taking photos of myself in the bath by then and so forfeited my right to said prizes.

Nice one, Gerard! Look forward to the report.

• Options

Burnham 5k tonight. Did a low key 5k race at lunchtime just as a shake out of the legs after the extended weekend and got absolutely soaked but the rain had stopped by the evening.

The course is two laps, one shorter at just under 2k and the other longer. Both laps start with a fast downhill end with an uphill so you get very uneven splits. Final score was 18:29 with splits of 3:21, 3:51, 3:53, 3:45 and 4:00. I have decided the hill at the end isn't too bad as you are always knackered at the end, so may as well be doubly killed. Bodes well for Friday which is a flat and fast 5k and I did 18;23 a few weeks ago on the course so should be much closer to 18 dead.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Did I read that right PMJ? Two 5K races in the same day?image