Comments

• Options
    Poacher wrote (see)

Might just change gender for an easier entry....image

You won't get that done by June 24th!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hey Poacher, we do enjoy a good rant- get it off your chest man image

Rubbish session on the track last night- really struggled to get going. Not ideal for a busy week ahead; parkrun tomorrow, 3 mile hill race (Penshaw) Wednesday, then Blaydon on Sunday 9th- there could be tears image 

• Options

Literatin - Thanks for that, I hope you're right. Thing is, why would they not want the URL link? It's more definitive than a dodgy photocopy from a faded article in the Pootlington Herald, or whatever. Still, we'll see on the day, I suppose!

Blisters - Could be worth a try.. Just think, after all these years of lying and saying I'm younger...

Poacher/Windy - Now, where's my Stanley knife?

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - great VLR along the towpath.
    GM - well done on 2nd place - good report too.
    Ant - good set of mile reps.
    Poacher - nice bird-spotting. I just ran out of the village and round the local lanes. We explored some of the countryside - beatiful area. 20 years ago I lived in Derbyshire for the best part of a year and would love to return.
    Speedy - loving the stats!
    Minni - when you're doing those exercises just think how it will be worth it eventually.
    Lorenzo - well done on those hill sprints - come to West Norfolk if you need some easier ones!
    Frazer - good reps - 50 people sounds ridiculous.
    OO - busy week of racing - that's as many as I do in a year!
    literatin - I managed to visit Scarthin Books and picked up 3 more of Zola's Rougon-Macquart novels - that should keep me going a while!
    Final run of May d&d this morning to make a total of 29 runs, 195 miles in 27:07:54 and 4 rest days. Still base-building.
    Forgot to include 1 PB in the stats - d'oh!

• Options

Gul - Nice stats and good mileage. Which books did you get?

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Le Reve, La Bete Humaine and Le Docteur Pascal. I almost missed the foreign language section - you have to go through the café, out onto the patio and round the corner into a lean-to!

• Options

La Bête Humaine is one of the greats - enjoy!

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Nice base building going on there Gul

I see marathon of the north, where everyone ran short except the winner are being given an adjustment for GFA acceptance. Some relieved people there.

Poacher wrote (see)

Although putting this online is entering the 21st century, IMO it's a pain in the ar*e as I will be working in the ar*e end of nowhere with little electricity let alone web access.

Poacher, I did watch The Village on the BBC, and I sympathise - it looks like a tough place to live and work

Slight deviation from the 10k training. Decided to take a little pootle over the South Downs next weekend which will be a vLvSR.

Take care with the come back Minni

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Really AR?  I'm surprised VLM have done that but good on them. A friend of mine ran well under the qualifying time so she'll be delighted.  Where did you see that?   This might look hopeful for Ant too. 

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Minni, I saw this from a posting Oliver on the Sub3 thread wrote. Here was his post:

Oliver Truby wrote (see)

Update on the Marathon of the North fiasco, got an email tonight from them saying they are accepting our times for London's Good for Age, as long as our times are 80 seconds below qualifying times (which mine is; 12 minutes inside as I ran a 2.53) I only ran the race as qualification for GFA but I've now signed up to Brighton 2014, would I be better off saving London for a Championship place, which is my target for next year or is there a good opportunity for running clear from the Good for Age pens? I'm on the "Elite" start at Brighton so hopefully shouldn't be much weaving there. If I miss out on my sub 2.45 effort I'll still be able to use my time for 2015 GFA. Any thoughts from anyone who has gone from the Good for Age starts? Or from GFA and Champ?

I saw a tweet from the Almost Marathon of the North organisers confirming this

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Poor session from me last night was supposed to be 4 x 2k reps at 3.40m/k but ended up being a good 5 secs off on each rep with only 3 finished and the last one split into k reps. Means I couldnt hold current 5k pace for 2k. Hey ho,  I havent done any real speedwork in 12 months and it shows.

Might do Paris instead of VLM and take the missus away, but might do both..

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AR - good stuff.

Mennania - you romantic devil.

Poacher - copied from next door....

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Freemers wrote (see)

http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Have to go onto the site on 24 June.  It's not clear whether that's the only day it's open or if they will keep it open for a period of time.  I'm making a note in my diary just in case.

Someone called them and was told it would be open for 3 weeks.

If it works like the online system for championship entries last year, you'll first submit details and proof of time (and age for GFA I suppose), then wait a few days while they check it and send you an email inviting you to log in and pay.  There's a second deadline to do that or you lose the place.  I don't know whether that second deadline will fall within that 3 week period, but I suspect not as they're going to have a lot of GFA entries to sift through.

• Options

Gul - I'm still working my way through Les Miserables. Think Zola might have to wait for a bit.

Mennania - perhaps you could say to Mrs M that she can treat herself on the Champs Elysses but only for as long as it takes you to do the marathon? Should inspire you to a massive PB.

20 miles door to door in 1hr 10mins this morning - much better than a 1hr 20mins commute on the train.

Can't say I recommend the Wandsworth one way system as the most scenic route. Think I might do a slightly longer but more attractive route back through Richmond Park on the way back, especially as the Sun's out now.

Is anyone else having trouble writing posts on an iPad? Every so often the whole thing goes a bit funny. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo- you are not running 20 miles home I hope, or are you biking?

Paris and VLM are same day next year so you have to choose Menn. 

I've decided on Keswick this w/end. Will do the parkrun in the morning then head off Saturday night for a long hilly run on Sunday image. It's gonna be a scorcher at the coast if you fancy parkrun heaven Minni....

• Options

At least you went out running last night Menn. I felt so knackered & run down I decided not to go out - don't think I would have done anything special. Might be doing a Parkrun tomorrow or a race on Sunday, so think I will regenerate and have an early night tonight.

Good stats for the month Gul.

• Options

OO - Definitely cycling! Got a 100mile sportive in the diary for Sunday as well.

KR - regenerate?! Is it true you're the new Doctor Who?

Other than parkruns, anyone got any races this weekend?

• Options

Right, that's twice now I've posted something and it hasn't appeared on here...mysterious...

• Options

Nice day for a run down to Hyde Park this lunchtime, perfect weather for running a fast 5k.

Splits are below, same as last time the 1st k comes out fast and short and and the second one is long and slow. There is a small uphill section from 3 to 4 that makes that one slow.

1    3:27.8    0.62    5:37
    2    3:39.2    0.65    5:38
    3    3:31.0    0.59    5:55
    4    3:42.7    0.63    5:55
    5    3:37.0    0.62    5:49

Big turnout today and I started off on the third row behind two rows of slim 6 foot plus runners and 2 short women. Boxed in for the first 500m but that controlled the speed so no sudden O2 dip at the start. At 500m pulled out and past a group and settled in behind a big bunch. At 1k started to stretch the legs a big and the group started to fragment a bit and I was sort of in the middle.

At 2k it started to feel hard but a 5k is supposed to feel hard and I just had to make a decision to fall off the back of the pack of 7 or 8 with the leading lady in it. 3k came up and the Garmin showed that sub 18 was definitely possible and all I had to do was bring it home at 6 minute pace.

4k and 5k were just about steady running, Garmin showing 5:5x. Started to get pissed of with someone behind me who was definitely coaching a runner, trying to egg them on to better and greater and I supposed it was the 2nd lady so the incentive was just to keep on ahead of them and with the last bend and 3 or 4 hundred m to go I was able to stride out for home and cross in 17:58.

All in all very happy. The plan was 17.xx in 2013, didn't expect to get it so soon. My po10 PB is 17:52 on a suspect course so it would be nice to get 17:51 by the end of the summer.

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Nice one PMJ. Sounds like a lot more to come if later ks were "steady" running.

Ipad posting is indeed very weird - lots of nonsense with the predicitve thing and it hates paragraphs and refuses capitals at beginnng of a new line. Most irritating. Seems fine on PC though

Are you going to wake up with a new face KR. Who would you choose to be ? Brad Pitt or Haile ??

• Options

Speedy stuff PMJ - you must be pretty pleased with that. Lovely day for a jaunt round the park.

Frazerelli - that's the same iPad problem I've got. Glad to know it's not just me!

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Yes - IPad woes here. Keeps deciding I have typed enough and refuses to continue.

Nicely done on the 5K PMJ, getting your planned target early on, so hopefully 17:51 will come.

I've got a 10k on Sunday, although I am planning on using it as a filling for a tempo sandwich. The plan is 6 miles easy to the start, 10k tempo, 6 home. It is a low key trail/road affair.

A chunk of acrylic award thudded onto the doormat this morning. Apparently I won a category at Newbury 10k. Can't quite work it out based on those ahead of me - probably an award voted for by the crowd after the spectacle I providedimage

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Post above edited due to IPAD predictive text woes.

• Options
    Also-ran wrote (see)

A chunk of acrylic award thudded onto the doormat this morning. Apparently I won a category at Newbury 10k. Can't quite work it out based on those ahead of me - probably an award voted for by the crowd after the spectacle I providedimage

Sometimes the oddities of prize categories brings gifts your way, other times it takes it away.

Looking at the results, the first 5 home got the first five prizes so that is easy. Now the guy who won it was also a V40 vet so generally they don't award two prizes. The next proper vet was a V60 so he won the V60 prize. That leaves you coming home as third vet over the line but winning 1st V40 (I'd guess).

Of course the rules can be anything, so the guy in first could be awarded two prizes, the V60 could have won the V40 prize and you could have been third v40.

The race I was in the other day had a V40 in 2nd, so he was given first V40 and not second., so my club-mate in 4th got 3rd overall and I was 4th V40 and prizes down to 3 so I lost out that day.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I'm hanging onto my Comrades dream by my finger nails. I've got tonsilitus since 1:30am today.  In fact the whole familiy has it.  Sore throat, achy legs, accelerated heart, temperature.  I've been to the doctor who has eight Comrades finishes.  He thinks there is an outside chance I could make the start line. So I travelled from JNB to Durban and will lurk in the room today and tomorrow apart from picking up my number and do everything I can to make it on Sunday.  And if I do the outcome may be substantially different to the one I planned.

At least I would be in illustrious 'dropper' company - Ellie Greenwood won't make it either after a 2nd place last year and of course Wiggo is out of TdF

I'ts only running after all

Now going to look at ultra races in 2 or more weeks from now.......

• Options

Oh no, fingers crossed for you Bike It. It's probably all that aeroplane travelling you've been doing. 

I just completed my VMLM 2014 entry online (ill or injured). It's £31 this year.

• Options

Aaaagh! No! Really hope you can make it, Bike It. Wishing you all the best.

PMJ - The Summer of Speed is upon us! Great 5k time, and that PB is going to take a tumble very soon, I suspect. 

Mennania - I think tbh that the thing is to get out there and do these challenging sessions. Maybe you don't hit the target pace on some of the reps and/or fall short on the planned number of reps - well, bad luck, but you'll have better days. You've still done a hard workout and you'll reap the benefits in the long run. (Did you see what I did  there?)

Lorenzo -  Tomorrow afternoon I'm doing the Candás-Luanco-Candás race, which is about 10.6kms. It's a hilly one, very up-and-down. Here's the profile. Judging from people's times from last year, I think 45-46 minutes would be respectable.

I am feeling very pleased with life at the moment, because the organisers of the Langreo Marathon have modified the official results, even the online ones, to take into account the extra distance we had to run through their marshalling error. So, now it is on record, 100% offically, that I did 3:13:25, and so GFA should almost certainly be mine!imageimageimage

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Oh no, fingers crossed for you Bike It. It's probably all that aeroplane travelling you've been doing. 

I just completed my VMLM 2014 entry online (ill or injured). It's £31 this year.

Get better bike it all my positive vibes going your way

Speedy, assume that is champs and not GFA, but I can't see a link at all. Did they post you one?

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭

I've had a busy week so just a quick skim read.

Bike-it- fingers crossed for comrades, getting ill sucks.

Well done on the HM PB Badbark. Big mileage planned for your next Mara campaign, if I recall correctly you don't do anything faster than MP, is that still the case for next time?

Well done on the old codger prize AR, I'll check out the local rag to see if you get a mention.

Hope your injury woes are just a minor blip Minni.

Nice to see you are getting back to your best PMJ, I may give a park run a go tomorrow morning but don't expect anything special after a troubled month of running, maybe sub 19.30 would be a reasonable time to aim for.

Good luck with the ton Lorenzo and good luck with the sex change Anthea.image

I've run three times this week and hip/glute felt ok. Just shows a weeks total rest is the best thing, although this was enforced by illness.

Stats for May.

Run 70 miles.

Bike 417 miles.

11 rest days.

Way too much Beer.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭

x-post. Phew Ant! you can keep your knob!

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good news Ant!

Excellent running PMJ!!

Fingers crossed for you BikeIt. I'll take some vitamin C tablets in your honour. Get well fella.

Busy couple of days for me; run yesterday morning and got spooked by a massive heron, fast hour on the bike last night and rode past a decapitated squirrel (nice!). 2hr hilly ride this afternoon past a decomposing badger and had to swerve outside the house to avoid a slow worm which was trying to cross the road (first time I've ever seen one) so my daughter and I helped it into the bushes so it didn't get run over (or get caught by the mysterious squirrel beheader). Then this evening had my first open water swim of the year in Windermere. Baltic. Feet are still numb. No wildlife or corpses observed in the lake.