Sub 3h15

Comments

• Minni - I can't offer any practical advice but I do wish you the best of luck. No-one told us about injuries when we started running, eh? What a bummer.

OO - Is that you in the red vest in that vid, the one who gets no encouragement in a funny accent from anyone at all?

Poacher - So, it would now appear you have curry for breakfast. After the foot/toenail debate, I'm worried that soon I'll be called upon to provide evidence that my guts really are less minging than yours must surely be.  

Cracking hills from "Sherpa" Martin.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

thanks chap.  Fraser - I think you're right and its just going to need longer. (But its had 7 bloody weeks already image). I decided last weekend that I was going to take another two weeks off but it's soooooo hard. 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Martin, if you have the same aim I'd be happy to have you alongside. I'm also hopign that also-ran will have the same aim and not something a lot faster.

The sunshine is gradually lifting the gloom, how can you not enjoy life when it is so hot you need to take recoveries under the shade of an oak tree with some geese and goslings (and all the shit they bring along with them as well).

PMJ - I am going to be sticking with my approach of not setting any target times for races. When I did that before, my training became a chore, and I lost the enjoyment temporarily. 2:45 doesn't mean anything to me, other than a different toilet to stare at at VLM (if I was a member of a club to take up a champs place). I will definitely continue to push myself hard in training and see where it takes me, whether that is GFA, sub 2:50 orSub 2:45.

One thing I am clear on, is that VLM 2013 was a race when all the cards in my hand were aces. I arrived on the day healthy, rested, trained, confident, the weather was great etc etc - having all these things come together probably doesn't happen that often,

I appreciate that targets such as 2:45  mean a lot to others, and I'll support you all the way. My joining the running world was motivated by others factors which I lost sight of last Autumn - something that I'm not going to slip into again.

Martin 5:44 on the last hill was a bit pathetic - what a slacker. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO - meant to say how strong you were looking at the end of that race.  That's a very fast time you ran. image

• Big wheel barrow Ant!

You are right with all those race names Martin. Hungarton does feature, but I see it more of a running for the Club type of race given the profile of the route and all those hills. Having said that I am doing a few more hill reps in preparation. You missed a good one last week down the Club up & down Cooks Lane. Good fast hill reps from you tonight.

Can't pass on any advice Minni, but Fraser seems clued up in his response.

Had an hour to kill this evening waiting for my youngest lad to get back from a trip to the House of Commons where they met the John Bercow, Speaker of the Commons (part of a national prize). So fitted in a crafty 5 miler in 32.11. Think the pressure of having to get back in time to shower, change and get to the school made me move a bit quicker. Turned out to be a progressive run starting at 6.47 pace and ending with 6.07.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - hope the 1k reps go better tomorrow.
    AR - good to hear you're improving. My next race should be GER (Peterborough HM) on 13 Oct, when I'll be looking for sub 90.
    KR - speedy 7 miler. And a cracking 5 mile progressive too!
    PMJ - nice consistent track session.
    Poacher - good 10 miler - about 1 min faster than me.
    Minni - sorry, I'm not an expert. Sounds very frustrating.
    Martin - good hill sprints.
    7 easy miles this morning. Anyone remember joking about a sub 3:15 this summer, as in start before 3:15am? I thought Sat 22nd June might be a good date as it's nearest to the longest day (21st this year?)

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Curse your memory Gul!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice philosophy Ant and it served you well this year so you are right to stick at it.

I'm sorry I can't help Minni- it's the one part of my running anatomy where I've never had trouble. My calves look like something off a butchers hook image

I had a crap start on that hill race but a strong race thereafter. This Sunday's race (Blaydon race 5.3 miles) is the real deal. I'll be slower than last year but it's all about improving form and not letting too many club rivals trounce me....They all have funny accents up here Ant (especially in Sunderland where the race was image) .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Minni: that sounds really frustrating - I hope things improve for you soon, as you'd had a great spring marathon campaign.

Feeling a bit tired and creaky this end.  On reflection, perhaps recceing my CWR leg on Saturday and then doing about 12M hilly on Sunday followed by my first speed session with the club since March on Tuesday (18 x 200m as well, so really got the legs turning over...) was a bit much.  Glutes, quads and hamstrings were really tight Weds/yesterday but felt a bit better this morning after I spent about an hour stretching whilst watching the Diamond League on tv.  Midlands League on Sunday: 3k and 1500m.  Should be interesting!

slokey: I'm washing my hair on the 22nd of June.  Sorryimage

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I'd use that excuse too Jools but it would only take 7seconds including drying.

Rest and patience has been prescribed Minni - you'll be back before you know it.

Speaking of which, glorious run up Gummers How last night. Spectacular views over Windermere and the Lakeland mountains. Fartlek racing on the way down through the woods. image 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What are the Gummers of which you speak Slokey?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

well I never knew that Slokey. I seem to only stray as far as I can run from Keswick

• Jools, I'm also down for the 3000 and the 1500 this weekend, but I've ended up running the UKWAL on Saturday rather than the Midlands League this time round. God only knows why I agreed to such madness!

Minni, I really hope you get it sorted soonimage

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That sounds like a terrific place to run Slokey...

I read a stat a while back suggesting that the vast majority of visitors to the Lake District never stray more than 1m from a main road. Seems a shame really, and one wonders why they buy all that rufty tufty outdoor gear in Keswick & Ambleside and don't test it out.

Joolska - an hour stretching. Yikes.

BTW whoever wrote the spellcheck programme for IPad should hang his/her head in shame.

10m tonight, running along the A6 is such a joy. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

3 miles on the track for me- final session for Blaydon. In the car all day tomorrow, collecting my daughter from Manchester Uni as her 1st year ends.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

It would be a hell of a run from Keswick OO. Good luck at Blaydon!

I'm off to Wales tomorrow for the Rhyl Tri - Olympic distance warm up for Outlaw. Excited!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good luck SJ. Remember to pack 2 elastic bands!

I've had a ridicously busy time recently and not read back since the weekend. Tomorrow I am out all day to do Tough Mudder. (check out the video on the site). I was persuaded to enter by the fact that there is no finishers medal - just a beer! 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Tough mudder is not my idea of a good time. The beer sounds good though!

Elastic bands?

• Proper running training day today, because I felt like being a runner.

15 miles at "bouncy" pace. It started as 7:30s, but was kept within 8:00s apart from the fertiliser stop. No fuel or fluid taken, and the last bit was a fight, but pace and HR comparisons were interesting to last week's 23 miler. Total was 2:02, passing 13.1 in 1:43. Ave HR was 135, ave pace 7:56.

The Hr profile when compared to last week's 23 miler shows some interesting data
    - between 2 and 3 miles to warm up the HR.
    - from that point, the HR rises gradually by 10.
    - today I did 15 @ 8m/m ave 135hr
    - last week I did 23 @ 8:24m/m ave 130Hr

So, the Massey Fergusson needs some bedding in to get back to 3:15 pace unless it's my lucky day. In that regard, miles make champions. Another view is that today's MLR left the leggies feeling that they had worked for their living. No rush, no injury.

• Hope it's wet for your tough mudder Keir - good luck! Does it still go ahead if it is dry?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Nice run Blisters. The good thing about Massey Fergusons is that even when left rotting in a barn for years, with a bit of TLC they can have their day in the sun  again. Keep on tractoring I sayimage

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I am doing the 'not quite so tough' dry and summer condition Tough Mudder KR. 

Elastic bands for your shoes SJ. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - good luck at Blaydon.
    Jools - sounds like a tough schedule. Hope you're recovered in time for Sunday.
    SJ - sounds like an idyllic run. Very jealous. Good luck in Wales today.
    Speedy - and good luck to you too.
    Poacher - never more than 1M from a main road?! That's unbelievable.
    Keir - I'm sure there are easier and cheaper ways of getting a beer!
    Blisters - good sensible running.
    15 miles d&d at silly o'clock this morning. Out in the middle of nowhere singing Supper's Ready at the top of my voice when I turned a corner to see a dozen bemused looking cyclists - I probably turned a nice shade of beetroot juice. Discoverd when I got home that the sole of one of my shoes is hanging off. Oh well, they were only Aldi specials and did 496 miles (so that's about 3p a mile!) 51 miles for the week image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Speedy: I can't do UKWAL as I have a concert today.  The last I heard our team was a bit sparse, so I've no idea who your B&W oppo will be in either event!

• Notts have had to split the team over the three track leagues we do, hence I'm the B runner in the UKWAL. I think the plan is to have a strong A runner in each league and the B runner is just there to pick up any points that may be available. In fact in Midlands Division 6 I don't think we even have a B runner in any of the events other than sprints. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good tip Keir. I'm still in the "put your shoes on and then get on the bike" camp though I'm afraid image

Impressive early running again Gul!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

18M very steady for me (8.11m/m on a pretty flat course) to try and maintain some sort of balance between keeping the mileage up but not completely trashing the legs before tomorrow's track efforts.

Speedy: we're div 2 in Midlands and I don't think our team is too sparse.  I think I'm the B runner for both.

• Jools, that's a very impressive opening line. Just looking at my stats and realising that I'm playing in a different league now, 2 divisions below you folks.

Gul, impressive on just so many levels. The one that stands out is that you know the words to classic Genesis tracks. The Aldi shoe story reminds me of the inimitable Barnsley Runner, who liked paper thin shoes and aimed to develop his running style to be able to cope with them.

One week to my half ironman.

Swam 3 laps of Cotswold Lake 32. A total of 2250m. I have realised that I may have to lock up my bike in transition. Not only am I going to be last out of the water, I'm going to be so late they might think the bike's been abandoned. I guess I'll be able to find it easily enough.
    30 miles on the bike, mostly in aero tuck. Pesky wind. Got navigationally confused a few times, so the pace wasn't all it could have been. Legs feel exercised.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

After much dithering about whether I was well enough to run today, I loaded up on pharmaceuticals, and headed out at 6am in search of the South Downs Marathon. Billed as a point to point trail race, with 5,700ft climb, and 5,500ft decent I was keen to try something different.

Parked up at the Finish point, and we were whisked off to the start by coach. Hung around Slindon College for toilets, croissant and coffee. Really nice surroundings. Went off into dark corners to deal myself drugs and to take swigs of cough medicines. Relay Race started at 9am, and then the Marathon Runners were off at 9.30am.

First 400m was on a grass track, followed by a mile of flat woodland. My objective was to run it as any other LSR, which I run easy, and without gels/energy. I took a load of gels just in case as I had a crappy week.

After the running track I felt I was working really hard, then the same with the flat mile, and coming to the first hill I was definitely overworking. I realised I was chasing the leaders and had forgotten the objective; I was in no racing condition anyway. So, I gave myself a big talking too, and got back to sensible pacing. Nice steady pace, with no gels/energy drinks needed.

The race goes through a series of climbs and decents. This was a fantastic course and I really loved the scenery, infact I wish I had taken a camera to this one. Some of the climbs are fairly brutal, and the downhills often too steep to not put the breaks on so the poor quads took a bit of a hammering. I'm not convinced we climbed 5,700ft though - but I'm not complaining.

Ended up back where we parked up in 3hr:27min, to receive medal, decent technical t-shirt, goody bag etc. Lots of food vans laid on to pig out, sports retailer, massage etc. Quality race organisation from 2:09 Events. Definitely do it again, but I'm not sure if I would have the balls (current thread parlance) to race it, whether I felt well or not. I'm sure the winner had big balls.