Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oops missed keir.  Well done - these LDWA events are usually pretty good. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

There were a lot of folks out there putting in some big miles today one way or another, nice work. I ran 6M easy myself before an away cricket match, but I did do 18M y'day.

• I'm not envious of the racers in this heat, well done all! Did you win a good prize Jools?

Minni, I recall the headwind we had at Christmas, I hope it wasn't as bad as that!

Edit - missed a whole load of posts somehow! Keir - you're a nutter. A marathon and a 90 mile week. You're turning into Race Jase. And all the bike miles too, yup, you need a rest day. 

Congrats to Moof (happy birthday) and Lorenzo on silly bike stuff too. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

The prize-giving was postponed because of the collapsed runner.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done all, seems to be a tough day at the office. You're time sounds good to me Frazerelli, and well done Jools on a great placing, even if the time was off. 

• Moof - the results are already up on the website: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/rider-times/wss_magnificat_2013.pdf 

Well done on the pace - no way I could have kept up with you at that speed, especially as I needed to stuff my face with flapjacks, jaffa cakes and a gel at every feed station. I found from 60-80 miles the most difficult but once I'd got past the 100 mile mark I almost got a second wind as the end was in sight. As you say, there were plenty of people struggling towards the end.

Thanks for letting me share your birthday with you! image

Keir - well done on the victory. Two thread winners in one weekend ain't bad.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

/members/images/297347/gallery/CoastalRunStart.jpg

Start of the Coastal run (last years race)

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Keir and Jools, excellent running and victories. Well done to all who raced yesterday, it was unpleasently warm when watching the Lytham runners racing. Hope your trip back was uneventful Frazer, was nice too meet up and chat with you post race - That was a good result in those conditions.

Lots of cycling talk on here and well done to Moof and Lorenzo on their ride- its something I maywell have to get into shortly.

• Frazer - Well done on that 1:24 - hot and windy is a horrible combo. A bit gutted I couldn't make it and meet you and Mennania.

Great stuff Jools and Keir, and nice in-the-saddle action from Moof and Lorenzo.

Good miles from Gul, too.

I did 19 miles running down the Lancashire/Merseyside coast, through forests and across dunes. 2 hours 30 mins means improved time on feet for me.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good luck on Wednesday Speedy and I hope the foot behaves.

that sounds like a lovely event Minni and OO

Jools! Congratulations on the win!

Frazer, how did the HM play out? Did you drop off the pace at the end or did you never get on target?

Lorenzo and Moof (happy birthday!) nice biking chaps. I'm itching to get out there myself now....

Epic mileage Keir and that's an impressive podium tally. Don't overdo it though!

I managed a couple of swims over the weekend the first of which was very gentle and the second was a short but hard effort having been inspired to athletic greatness after watching Mr Foome. Lovely 6mile run in the sun yesterday too. Apart from a bit of tightness in the hammies, I felt very smooth and easy image Another gentle week planned before stepping it up again.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I'm toying with doing this in September next year - needs to be raced in pairs. Anyone fancy it? 

http://www.otillo.se/

video of the event here http://www.endurancelife.com/bucket-list.asp (although the commentary is in Swedish)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Minni / OO - well done - it wasn't a good weekend for racing!
    Jools - congrats on a great result. Hope the runner who collapsed is OK.
    Frazer - very respectable time considering the conditions. I have no doubt you will get that sub 80 one day very soon.
    Lorenzo - great bike ride - strange choice of name for the event though!
    Keir - joint first in a marathon at the end of a 90+ mile week is some going! Looking very good.
    Moof - belated birthday wishes - epic bike ride.
    TR - good running.
    Ant - sounds like a great place to run.
    SJ - good luck with the recovery. And finding a partner - I can't swim to save my life (well not for too long anyway).
    6 miles plus some hill sprints to start the week for me, followed by walking the dog.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Belated birthday wishes to Moof image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed moof and don't be depressed by your youthful age image

• SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

I'm toying with doing this in September next year - needs to be raced in pairs. Anyone fancy it? 

http://www.otillo.se/

video of the event here http://www.endurancelife.com/bucket-list.asp (although the commentary is in Swedish)

SJ - I'll have to pass I'm afraid. I think I'm doing my hair that day. But I'm sure that one of the thread nutcases will be up for it!!

Jools - don't suppose you're doing the Little Stoke parkrun on Saturday are you?We're down in Brizzle this weekend for my nephew's first birthday and it looks as though younger Lorenzito and I have negotiated a pass out first thing in the morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

4 miles recovery with my Nordic poles at 5am this morning, avg. 14 m.mile pace. I was skipping on the beach- surpised how quick I could go. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: no, it's the local 10k mob match on Friday evening, so just an easy run for me on Saturday morning.  I've still not made my way up to Little Stoke - just stuck with the hills of Ashton Court!

• I was only popping in here to boast about my longest ever bike ride at the weekend - 27.5 miles.  But now, having read about the exploits of others, I don't think I'll bother even mentioning it.  Two hours and 8 minutes.  Don't think I'll mention that bit either.

Happy birthday Moof.

Why the Nordic poles, OO?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

TAR - well done on whatever it was you didn't mention. Pleased to hear you're back in the saddleimage
    11 slow miles and some more cross-training chalked up this morning.

• Had a look at http://www.otillo.se/ and feel the need for a bit of a Danny Norman rant.

This is the bit that gets me: "Ranked as one of the toughest endurance races in the world"

So, firstly that is mis-quoted, the original article is http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/28/sport/toughest-endurance-challenges and Otillo gets a photo credit but no more: "The Swedish archipelago is the setting for the Otillo, which sees teams of two swim 10km and run 54km over the course of 14 hours. The cold water is continually entered and exited and many choose to swim in their shoes, even wearing a rucksack, and run in wetsuits"

The way I see it is this. People want to push themselves further and harder and that is fine. If you can run a marathon, why not go  further, what about adding a swim and a cycle as well? I now see you can do a triple deca ironman, so each day for 30 days you complete a full ironman race. All this is fine, you are trying to test yourself and it is for your own fulfilment and enjoyment. It isn't about toughness or hardness or anything else. Lots of events now use the tough tag as a marketing ploy to get more money.

So, the bottom line is this. If you want to push yourself fine, but don't call yourself tough or hard or expect respect simply for picking such. I will respect someone who completes Comrades, and more respect with better medals, but none of them call themselves tough. I admire people who can complete an Ironman and am in awe of people who run sub 3 for a marathon in such, but they don't call themselves tough.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Slokey- I would have given it a go but PMJ has just talked me out of it. image
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Does this mean I should remove my Tough Mudder orange headband PMJ?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I only fancied it cos it looks pretty and the race outfits look cool. Not sure what that says about my "tough" credentials! image

• Keir wrote (see)

Does this mean I should remove my Tough Mudder orange headband PMJ?

If it is worn in an ironic manner that is fine image. Don't get me wrong, if you do these events and enjoy them it is fine, but if you do them because they say they are tough that is wrong: tough is training every day through the winter to run VLM sub 3:15 and it is not a badge you buy for £55 to £120 depending on how early you apply: http://toughmudder.co.uk/events/south-west-2013/

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I don't care what you say, I think I look really tough (goes off to cry in corner) imageimage

/members/images/521453/Gallery/Tough_Mudder2.gif

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

, tough is training every day through the winter to run VLM sub 3:15

Sh*t - I'm 48 seconds away from being classed as tough. image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

So that is a no from PMJ image.

Reading back, some great racing by Jools, Keir, and Frazer, tough out on the Costal for OO and Minni, and epic cycling from Moof and Lorenzo on their tandem. Belated birthday image to Moof. Good to read Gul is building that base

Nothing much going on here at the moment other than some down time, a bit of jogging, and plenty of walking. Visit from the CNBA fairy.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

, tough is training every day through the winter to run VLM sub 3:15

Sh*t - I'm 48 seconds away from being classed as tough. image

And I didn't train every day. Clearly we're all wimps except Keir, who has photographic evidence of toughness.

• We've only got Keir's word for it that that's actually him. Doesn't bear any resemblance to the well groomed bloke I've met!  I reckon he's just downloaded a photo from the official Glastonbury website. image

Minni - anyone who goes running on the Northumberland hills in the middle of winter is tough in my book. And I've seen the way you neck pints!

Rest day yesterday and back on the bike this morning for the 20 mile commute into work. After 6,500 ft of climbing on Sunday, today felt like a stroll in the park.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm sure I have a photo where I'm covered in mud and have the added toughness of blood ozzing out of a knee wound.  If not I'm going to make one. image