Sub 3h15

Comments

• PS nice trainers Minni - red is the fastest shoe colour, fact.

• ouch Moof. I too have suffered the dreaded "shredded sack" so I have nothing but sympathy. Stingerrific....

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Slokey- it wasn't a 'shredded sack.'

For a better image think of a Frankfurter (or maybe a chipolata) and a cheese grater being shaken vigorously in a bag.

Open bag and inspect chipolata!

• Moof – I can sympathise (though on your last post maybe not to the same degree!), I got back from a run the other day and it was like I’d been smuggling a belt sander in my running shorts. Plenty of Vaseline for the next few days! Will try that warm up next time I’m out early, looks sensible: thanks.

GM – like a lot of people I follow P+D and try and do the longer runs with the 20% 10% in mind- though I guess you have to compensate for the gradient of the run. And to be honest when it’s very hot I don’t bother so much and just go for the time on the feet. Good luck for the race tonight.

Menna – even MP seems a distant hope at times when I’m out early, though sometimes towards the end of the session the clouds part a little. I seem to do something like 9.25 for the first mile most mornings.

Minni – speedy looking shoes! I agree about learning from races, but only done 1 marathon so hopefully learned lots for the next one!

Keir – good racing and nice stats for the month. Hope that the wind is kind to you next time out.

Gul – I’m doing Abingdon. Nice reps, and I hope that job interview goes well.

Forced my self out of the door for an 8 mile plod to get 250 miles for the month, but afterabout half an hour (when the handfull of sweets I'd eatne prior to leaving kicked in) my legs woke up and I turned it into the progressive 14 I'd planned.

256 miles for the month

9 runs at least HM distance inc 1 x 20 and 1 x21

1 HM run at MP

1 parkrun run at threshold pace

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Yes, I do a lot of vicar-type things, but I don't get paid for it! Very interesting interview yesterday - shame the job is based too far away. I'd even have to give up running most probably! We have a new CEO, who is visiting the site today and he is totally shocked by the way the business is currently being managed (or rather not-managed!)
    SJ - nice stealth running!
    Keir / GM - I'm considering trying to get some classroom experience, just to see if it's something I actually enjoy and have some aptitude for! There's a 'learning coach' job going at the local college which I might look into.
    JD3 - nice progressive run.
    Somehow forgot my stats for July:
    27 runs
    213 miles in 29:38:11 = 8:21 m/m
    1 parkrun PB.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Stats so low I just can't talk about it.image  Zero grating though

My company yesterday announced it would no longer make smartphones.  I have a slight incling I too may be in line for redundancy as I work in smartphone development.  Probably a career change would be inevitable for me. Ironically I also got my house remortgaged yesterday.

I did 3x800m to cheer myself up and the first 2 came out at 6:06 pace and the last at 5:48 pace once I'd woken up a bit.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That's a bit sobering BI - hope it works out for you.  

Good luck too Gul

10m this afo + XT harvesting spuds, num num image

• 10 miles for me, walking from Bolton Abbey to near Grassington. image

Fingers crossed on the job front for both Bike It and Gul

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just done my first intervals since before the marathon!  10 x 600m and boy does it feel good to get it done. Wore my new racers to try them out. 

Bike It / Gul -  and they say we're coming out the recession. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - race shoes and reps ! I just saw your rep times on your new thread, do you mean 1600m reps or are those times wrong ?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

They are paces not times. Stop spying on me! image  (they sound really slow compared to everyone on here..... image)

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Not spying, just saw the new thread and thought that you should be running 600m reps faster than 6:xx per rep, especially have race shoes. FWIW I'd time the reps not the pace, I was going to be really impressed if you had done 10x1600m reps, I've done it before and the last 2 or 3 are pretty heavy going.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That is fast for me!!  I'm not build for speed. image And they are the first intervals I've done for 5 months.  And I have a cold. 

If I'd done 10 x 1600 I'd be dead now.

Actually they were to be done @ 10k pace and that is faster than my 10k pace!! lol

• TRTR ✭✭✭

You missed what I was saying, I though you had done the reps in 6:xx not at 6:xx pace. 600m in 6:xx is about 15min miling, so I was shocked.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Well done on the reps Min! 5K handicap race done in 19:12, not a PB but a course pb so happy enough!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sorry TR I did pick you up wrong. image

Nice one Gerard. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm glad you understand now, cos even if you have a cold, its your first reps in 5 months, you're not built for speed (whatever that means - I darent ask), the moon is in the wrong phase, your pet budgie isnt well etc ..............you should be running 600m at quicker than 15min miling ! I'll butt out now. Thats gone and got me thinking about the 10x1M session now !

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - sorry to hear your news - it's not a great experience to go through. I've been very fortunate to have never been in this situation before.
    Lorenzo - that sounds like a lovely walk.
    Minni - well done on the interval session - take care you don't wear out your new shoes before you get to race in them!
    TR - 10x1600m? I think the last 2 or 3 would be a bit more than heavy going for me!
    GM - very good 5k.
    3 recovery miles d&d.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Phew, I thought there was going to be another thread scrap there for a minute! image

Sending to you now Gerard

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Thanks Keir! Will check my personal email later.

5k handicap race was interesting last night. Not a great turnout with 20 ish runners or so. Given I have gone from 19:30 to 18:55 in the past 6 months I had a sneaking suspicion that the handicapper might be tough on me and that proved to be the case. Not sure how many minutes the slower runners had on me but three runners who I would say could beat me on any given day two were given 30 & one 45 seconds lead on me. Only three runners started after me, one sub 18 runner and two 16 min runners so the presurre was on. I set off at a steady pace not my usual desperate suicidal pace and felt really good considering the heat and a strong headwind on the way out (course is a flat out and back one). I could see the three runners who were given the 30/45 secs on me and I started to reel them in slowly. Got to halfway and reckon there was a 15-20 sec gap now. I could hear a fast runner closing on me and Mr sub 18 took me with less than a mile to go. I think the sheer fact I could sense him coming made me pick the pace up a bit and I tried to stay with him for as long as I could. I was now starting to overtake some of the less quick runners and was fast approaching the 3 runners I was targeting. One Km to go I could hear very fast feet coming and it was one Mr 16 min runner and again I put a bit of a surge on and knew it was only a matter of time before he caught me too. 800m to go, I passed two of the three runners I was chasing and held a fast pace for about 200m so as not to be overtaken by them. 200 to go and I passed about half a dozen more runners and was within striking distance of my last target. 100 to go I saw her look over her shoulder and that was enough for me to put one last effort in and thankfully I went past with no resistance. Overall pretty content as I was only vertaken by two runners one of who is a 2:39 marathon and the other a 2:46 marathoner. 19:12 was a course pb and  unsure if I could have shaved 13 seconds off if I tried harder. I was more interested in catching my three targets than a really quick time (well for me anyway) and that was job done. I love racing these 5k's!

Minni - Do you ever try 800 reps? I like them and try aim for 10 when I am in good shape! How did your new racers feel?

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Decent racing GM, I've never done a handicap race, sounds great fun chasing people down.

Hope it all works out ok for you Bike it.

Well if Minni is wearing her flash new racers for training I thought I'd dust down my DS Racers for a tempo run this morning. 10 miles with 5 @ tempo which came out at 6.19mm pace, although my heart rate was a little on the high side. Might have had something to do with the late night and a few beers I had, I need to cut that out especially on a school night.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gerard - I hate 5ks (and 10ks) but I acutally do enjoy handicap races and usually do better on those than mass start.  Sounds like you did a good job. image

I do do 800m reps - and every other distance.  I think I'm right in saying there's not one particular interval session that is guaranteed to make you faster.  Its just a case of mixing it all up - short reps faster, long reps a bit slower, cutting down recover times etc. mixing that with tempo runs and long runs and doing some easy runs..... simple really! image

keir - nothing but love here. image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

10x800m - sounds hard to me.  5m at threshold is much more appealling for some reason but exactly the same distance. I know I'm guilty of quantity over quality mostly so I'll have to give it a try as 5m at threshold is a bit of a staple session for me.  800m reps I normally do at about 6:00-6:10 pace and 5m threshold at about 6:40 pace. 

Physio today for me to try and find out the root cause of my calf trouble.  Hopefully he could find out why and try and correct it.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof -  Thanks, you are right, they are fun, brings out the hunter in me!image

Minni - I've tried 1600's/1000 and 800's seem to suit me the most. I'm looking forward to my slower 20 miler this w/end.image

Bike It - They are hard, I start with 5 and build up to 10 with incremental increase every week. Same, I aim for 3 mins per rep but that's fairly hard. Mind you that was when I was a smokers. 2nd attempt of wuitting going better than the 1st I must say 5 weeks now and hope I have cracked it! What's the matter with your calff? Hope it gets sorted.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - agreed, luckily Minni stopped making excuses long enough to grasp what I was saying.

Gul - you dont run the 10 reps fast, they were probably somewhere between HMP and MP I would guess as I only took 30sec jog rest.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni - yes doing coastal mara. First long run since VLM. Not going to be pretty but can always duck into the kitchen for a cuppa if the going gets tough. Any of your mates turning out?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck poacher- not sure when that is.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice 5k handicap Gerard. Hope you enjoy the psychodelic coloured spreadsheet.

Local 10k for me tonight. Didn't expect much with a strong headwind, day of chopping logs and Wednesday nights 5k in my legs. Worked hard with 2 others into the wind but they dropped me at the turn and I didn't seem to get any faster on the way home. Surprised to come home in 37.14 (9th place) which is only 6 sec slower than my pb of 6 weeks ago on a faster night. All things pointing in the right direction. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That's great news Keir. Well done.

Not sure Poacher. My ultra friend might be doing it.  What date is it? I might head down that way for my long run and catch some of it. Not up to 26 miles though, unfortunately.