Sub 3h15

Comments

• Dipping in quickly to congratulate the thread ladies. Fab performances all round.

Impressive running from Keir - what's your target race? Abo again?

Hope you're feeling better GM. 

Brief stopover in Singapore - staying with a mate. Far too humid to even think about running although there were plenty of folks out yesterday evening, but none seemed to be doing more than a smail's pace. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Sounds like torture Minni, but well done for finishing it! Yeah you're right there is an underlying issue and I need to try and get that sorted. The run today really hurt but as others have said we experience these type of runs and you have to take the rough with the smooth I guess....

Speedy - that a very impressive time and you must be stoked?

Literatin - Well done on your 1st place today! Yeah, totally now what your saying re form and thats what I am trying to improve on and have got the lower half sorted but you might be right. I think I also might have got a bit of sunburn/heatstroke today. Normally wear a cap or if not put sun screen on but today I did not! Ah well I am ok, so real harm done.

JD3 - I've only ever donetwo handicap races, both were 5'ks and they are are fun and require a different strategy compared to normal racing. Try do one if you can!

On a more positive note, Dan Halksworth, a local Jersy boy, retained his UK Ironman title today. Awesome acheivement! Hats off, big time!!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

GM dont worry about it, you will be stronger after having a tough one

Lorenzo I hope you went out and snaffled some Singapore street food, some of the world's finest

Nice long and longish runs going on, also good work Literatin & CC.  Impressive podium finish Minni

43m for the week, not too bad, taper time now, although not much to cut back from

No dead animals but a herd of live reindeer spotted this week, in the Cairngorms, very impressive in the antler department

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - well done on the 10k PB and a trophy to boot! That must have been a very satisfying moment.
    Keir - I've just done 12 weeks base training, which included 4x16M, 3x15M and 1x14M. Just reducing the mileage to allow for some speedwork, but hope I'm not overdoing the cut-back. That was a fair pace for your long run. I haven't spotted many woodpeckers or sheep on the loose lately, but plenty of deer (can't compete with Poacher's reindeer though). Impressive mileage. Do you plan those random weeks - they're all over the place! 
    Lorenzo - Holiday in Cambodia - wasn't that the Dead Kennedys? I'm sure you'll have an excellent time.
    OO - nice parkrun. Sounds like your form is returning!
    Moof - great LSR with MP mile too!
    GM - sorry to hear you had a bit of a nightmare on your long run. Hope the blisters are healing.
    JD3 - yes, that's the plan after the speedwork, to build up the mileage and focus on MP/HMP runs. I can't speak from experience, but I think the high mileage will be doing you good - just take it easy and don't over do it.
    Speedy - excellent 3000m - congrats on the PB. You must be very fast now that you're quoting split-second times!
    literatin - great result at the Jaegermeister - sounds like you had a great day. Congrats on the PB.
    Minni - well done on the PB/win - hard-core fell racer now!
    3 recovery miles d&d.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Not random totals Gul. First 2 weeks were low due to VLM recovery (8, 39). Then I upped the mileage but at a slow pace, back to pre VLM taper totals (70, 72, 63). Cut back week (59) followed by a bit of quality meant I let the mileage drop a bit (51, 55), followed by a toe injury for 1 week resulted in the only sub 50m week (48). Then as the 18 week marathon plan kicked in I have tried to progress the total mileage over 3-4 weeks followed by 1 wk cutback (61, 71, 88, 58) August should look something like this (73, 77, 80, 84, 54) - but it does depend on how I feel / life and work commitments. 

Yes, all about Abo again Lorenzo

4-0 to the ladies. Nice pbs. Liter and Minni. image

• Solid work Keir and incorporating lessons from your previous campaign has to be a big plus.

Hats off to the thread ladies. Very impressive list of PBs and podium places. Come on chaps, who's gonna respond with a result?

Sounds like a rough day out GM, hope your sensitive parts are healing up.

Lots* of off-road hilly miles this weekend for me, making the most of the excellent conditions (although its lashing down today).

* = not as many as anyone else on here though

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

MRI  scan and X ray yesterday on my dodgy hip. I'll have to wait 3 weeks for the results but fluid on the joint and arthritis were mentioned by the doc image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - sorry, my mistake.
    SJ - nice hilly miles.
    OO - that's going to be a long 3 weeks waiting for those results. Hope it's not as bad as you fear.
    9 miles for me this morning with 8x800m off 200m recoveries:-
    3:00, 2:57, 2:53, 2:53, 2:55, 2:54, 2:58, 2:54.
    Quite a tough session.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

sorry it was ultrasound not MRI

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - They are impressive 800's! What is your target for the half and what is your PB?

Will attempt a run later tonight after my lovely long run on Sunday!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

No worries Gul. The numbers do look random without the background story. Those are mighty impressive 800m reps. Especially if you ran them solo. 

Hope the ultrasound results are good OO

16m nice and easy over a scenic off road hilly route today. Was meant to be a progressive run but after getting home late after romantic Thai meal I swapped the sessions around. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hope the results of the ultrasound are ok, OO and that the knee feels better during today's run, GM.

Nice 800s from Gul, especially early doors and off such short recoveries.  Sounds like a  lovely run, Keir.

10M easy for me this morning on the flat, so came out at 7.49m/m and felt pretty comfy.  Hills slow you down - who'd a thunk it?image

• Indeed - hot reps from Gul. Quietly chipping away into genuine speedster territory Sir. How's the job hunt going ?

Good luck with the hip OO - slightly unusual to have an USS of that bit of your anatomy. Seems a long time to wait for results too....

Great consistent miles from you Keir. Take it easy on yourself when you need to mate - we don';t want any nasty niggles creeping in

I'm still chugging out 55-60 mile weeks and have now got 4 * 20s under my belt. Still trying to do two quicker sessions a week. Have to say I'm quite glad all this hot weather is over

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - My HM PB is 1:32 in March 2010 and I haven't run one since. Nominal target of sub 90.
    Keir - they were solo, unless you count a couple of dog-walkers. Sounds like a nice 16 miler this morning.
    Jools - hills? What are they?
    Frazerelli - I had another interview yesterday, a bit closer to home. However, during their peak season, they work 8am to 6pm and 45 hour week, which would have be an even longer working day then the other job. My latest application is for a job at the local college, which is a short walk awayimage
    I don't do my intervals on a track, but on pathways round the local park, so wouldn't pay too much attention to converting those splits into paces. However, I've used the same markers for several years and the reps are getting faster.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - That Half PB is under serious threat and given the right conditions and all else being well I would bet that you can shave at least 5 mins off that! That would be nice hey! Hope you get the job you want Gul.

OO - Hope you get a positive result re the Ultrasound.

Jools - That's a decent 10 miler! Thanks re the knee, I have opted out of a 10k race tonight after my run on Sunday I think I need to slow things down for a bit. Gutted as I ran a poor time on the course last year after coming back from injury and I was hoping to run a 39:x but that will have to wait. Am looking forward to conquering the long run this coming Sunday and will take every precaution to ensure same thing doesn't happen again!

SJ - London marathon was less painful but thanks and I am feeling less sensitive today. Nice trail running there!

• Speaking of trail running, I've entered this:

http://www.traildeparis.com/   The long option image. Should be fun!

OO hope the news is positive - frustrating wait though.

Gul, you are shaping up for a solid PB.

I did an actual speed session this morning! First since last September so it was a bit of a shock. 4x1K off 2mins. All turned out a bit longer than 1K due to my dodgy planning so I ended up with 2.8miles at 5:51mm ave. (a smidge quicker than my 5K PB pace). The last felt easier than the first but was still painful. 

• Some speedy reps there fellas. It must be the day for it as I also did intervals. My last track training session of the season it turns out. 4 x 600m, 1 x 200m off 3 mins. The 600s were meant to be at 1500m pace and they came out at 2.05, 2.04, 2.06, 2.04, then the 200m all out was 33 seconds. This should come in handy as I'm down to run the 1500m in the Midlands league on Saturday. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

That looks "formidable" Slokey, trail racing + French food and wine = running heaven

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - sorry to hear you've had to pull out of the 10k, but probably a wise decision.
    SJ - looks like a great event! Good interval session.
    Speedy - fast track session - looking good for Saturday.
    3 mile recovery run d&d.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What's you target for the GNR Speedy?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

4 miles last night at 7:15mm pace. Knee fine apart from when I came down a hill it felt a bit twitchy. It's not painful just feels stiff and sometimes almost locks when I run up steep hills /steps or descend them. Anyone else ever experience this?

Good reps there SG. I would love to race a 1500!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Gul- very decent 800 reps from you and I'm sure your plotted 800 metres are more accurate than my garmin 800s.

OO- fingers crossed for the hip.

Frazer- do you have an autumn marathon planned or are you just keeping your hand in with the 20s.

Good luck with the ultra SJ, running 80k doesn't appeal to me.(at the moment)

Slow down a bit if your knee is playing up GM.

15 miles for me this morning, first 10 at 8.15 pace and last 5 at 7.30 pace PnD style. Showered and in work at 7.45, feel a bit shagged now.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Jools, Lit, Speedy, Minni and Keir for PB/wins.  (I'm a bit late as I've been sick a few days)

And Speedy your 600m reps are looking, well, speedy

The Ecotrail d'Paris sounds great SJ.  The French really are sadistic with the final twist in the race of running up the Eifel Tower.

I ran Parkrun at the weekend in 32minutes ish.  My boy (4)  part ran and part got pushed.  After the organiser told me he can get a runner barcode even though he doesn't run all the way - so I guess he will soon be getting his '10' T-shirt.

I also won a months free gym membership in the gym challenge in which I was the person able to hold a wall sit with a dumbell held outstreched in the arms.  So I'll be ddoing a lot of strength training this month.

• CC2 – excellent new PB and gross road kill, nice intervals too

TR – I hope that the millage comes good, I’ve been up in the 60s for a little while now- did 7 weeks in the 50s averaging 54, with the last 1 being the best week of running I’ve done, based on Beats per mile basis, since then 49, 64, 60, 42, 30, 60, 68, 33, 68, 63, though the last 5 have all been early morning running which is slower. Aiming for about 50 this week and then 2 harder weeks before a week off.

Kier – excellent millage: 88 in a week sound very daunting- was that all off singles? Nice mid week 16

Mennania – I hope the easing in is going well

Moof – we’re on very similar tracks then, I’m following P+D  55-70, but do alter it a bit, I generally do the mid week MLR with 2 warm up, then 11@MP+30s, then 1 cool down, rather than the 20%/10%. I’m also aiming for more longer runs, hoping to get 10+ 20 milers in (have done 7 so far), I also try to do the long MP days at a half marathon, since it’s that much easier to do the session with a number pinned on.  I find the threshold sessions very tough to do though, sometimes just settle for HMP or even MP.

Good work on the early morning 15 miler!

Literatin – congrats on the new PB, and county medal!

Minni – well done on the PB and the win

GM – I wouldn’t know where to look for a handicapped race- are they done through clubs?

Poacher – enjoy taper time, it must have been nice to see reindeer- it’s always the highlight of my run if I see a deer, one ran about 5m in front of me the other morning.

SJ – off road hilly miles are the best kind of miles, that looks like a good event too.

OO – hope that your hip is OK

Gul – excellent 800s, definitely seems like your HM PB needs revising.

Joolska – good paced run.

Fraser – good millage, are you aiming for an autumn marathon?

Bike It – well done on the strength test, and well done to Bike It jr!

8 miles of intervals at the park this morning, fast down one side, slow along the next, fast up the third and slow along the fourth and repeat. Don’t look at times or speeds or anything, they’re more like structured fartlek training.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

7mile at average pace of 7:30 this lunchtime.  It felt more like LT than MP though.  It is the longest run I've done for 2 months and my calf feels OK so far, although a little sore to start.  Maybe I might even creep into double figure this week....

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Bike it- your running is no longer important, you are now the strongest bloke in the gym.
  • /members/images/646024/Gallery/Fly1_1.JPG

Finally managed to upload a piccy of my new running buddy - who's a cutey little fella then?

• /members/images/646024/Gallery/whitbarrow_1.JPG

And while I'm at it, here's a snap from one of my runs last week up one of the local fells (Whitbarrow Scar) - I'm on the right

• Oh how I have missed this group, hope everyone is well image I entered GFA into London next year and a serious attempt (minus fancy dress) for under 3.15 should be on the cards.  However, at the moment I am seriously lacking motivation! I get the guilt feeling constantly but seem to be too lazy to move off my sofa image anyone in the St Albans/Herts area fancy running behind me with a whip please make yourself known (yes I know how dodgy that sounds!) failing that, is there anyway I can get an elite athlete brain transplant?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OMG Slokey that is one cute pooch. You'll never tire him out.  image