Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Speedy.  That's a decent pace!

GM: to answer your question, mile splits were 6.19, 6.21, 6.25, 6.18, 6.18, 6.20 and then 1.09 for the last bit.  Pretty even apart from losing focus in mile 3.

• Keir, 1 is okay but I don't look good in white, so 7 is attractive enough in theory, but wouldn't look good on. Not that my current club vest has much going for it.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

My vote would be 1 or 6. 

Well done Jools and Speedy - you two are flying! 

Kier - you could do without that. Hopefully a bit of ice will sort it. 

Gerard - how hot is it with you at the moment? Damn that knee. Definitely take a few days off then reassess? 

Oh and Speedy, I was in the money today. A fiver! Which covered the £4 entry into the show and the £1 for the race!! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It's tempting but I'll resist commenting on ladies discussing the attractiveness of the club vest...image

Well done ladies, excellent running as usual

• Oooh, money prizes are great! Can't beat cold hard cash image

I think they're all hideous, and on the basis I've just paid for my vest I think they should keep the current one - number 8. 

• Oh, that's true. I'm certainly not parting with any money until they make their minds up. Actually this isn't really why I'm considering a move, it's to be able to do more team events (cross country, relays). But I have to decide if it'd be worth an extra £50 a year.

• Plus track fees (£3 per session), or a track pass (£50 for 6 months or £90 for a year). It ain't cheap.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Goodness, my club is 15 quid for the year and I pay £20 for my second claim. 

Thinking about the Comrades in 2015 (not that long!) I've decided to start adding bigger hills into my long runs now when I'm not marathon training.  So today was 17 miles on a hilly route, including one grade 5 hill (300ft in one mile), total elevation gain over the 17m was just under 1000ft. Avg pace 8:49 and it felt pretty good. image

Its a lovely day here, bright and sunny, but also windy.  I imagine Poacher will have the wind on his back during the first half of the coastal marathon but be into it on the way back. NB: my geography is not that good so I might have that wrong!!

• Redhill is only £20 and I'll pay £10 for second claim there. Notts is very expensive, but they offer top level coaching and opportunities to run in higher level competetions. 

Unscheduled rest day for me today. I've been carrying a niggle since Wednesday and I don't think it liked me racing hard on it yesterday. I've had it before and I know it will go away in a few days, so I'm just letting it go away (I hope!) before the thread showdown this coming Wednesday. Also I woke up at 2am with calf cramp, so I'm tired and sore! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My club is £50 including free use of the track. Second claim is Keswick- £15 I think.

15 miles this morning in sub 8 min pace. 35 for the week.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Heck, turned up for a slow mara and went home with more trophies than David Moyes. The Northumberland Coast mara was fairly hard with swirling winds, a bit warm, all off road and some very soft sand. Only one long run since April but in a small field I had my eye on a top ten finish and an old git prize. Much easier to keep the pace going with a chum (the legendary Gingerbreadman who sometimes features in Tony's Trials). Struggled home eventually in 3.30 for 5th, 1st OG50 & picked up last year's club Grand Prix thing which is like a mobot done by someone with very short arms.  WInner did about 3.20 so not a fast course. Not going to challenge serial pot winners such as Speedy or PMJ but nice to have something for cobweb-strewn shelf. It's been a while image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Great work Poacher. Top 5 all within 10mins must have made it quite a close thing for such a small event. You must be really pleased to be able to run a marathon in such a time / conditions without any specific training (or LSR for 4 months!). Any chance of a picture of the cup (with or without post marathon feet).

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Tiny, but they all count....

/members/images/76130/Gallery/P1020851.JPG

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

No feet, promise.

• Poacher - that one on the left is lovely! I've yet to win anything with an actual good trophy. Must try and pick better pothunts. (edit: trophy on the left. Not foot.)

Speedy - hope the niggle clears up. I have to say I'm not feeling confident about the thread showdown but am relieved to hear there will be a bar and chips available afterwards.

...and my current club is £15 which is pretty bargainous considering it includes the £10 UKA fee. No track facilities or coaching or anything though, and we're lucky if we can get a ladies team together for anything at all.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher - well done! I must try and make it next year. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

AR - great LSR and goose dodging.
    SJ - hope the shin is better.
    Moof - hope you're having a nice holiday.
    OO - good parkrun.
    Lorenzo - good use of running tops!
    Minni - well done on the Fell race.
    GM - sorry to hear about the knee again. Here's hoping it gets sorted quickly.
    Jools - congrats on smashing that 3k PB and going sub 11.
    Speedy - that's a fast 1500 - well done.
    Keir - take care of that ankle.
    Poacher - that's quite a haul - well done on a great race. Nice trophies.
    Just about to go out for 4 slow miles to start the week.

• Nice dogs everyone

AR – nice paces on the 11miler session, and good LSR

Moof – good MP session, have a good couple of weeks away

Kier – nice 5k-ing, are there more 5ks in the series? PB seems well within your grasp

Fraser – bodes well that the 4M was fast doesn’t it

Gul – good 12miler

SJ – hope the shin improves

PMJ – welcome back, are you following a specific plan for VLM?

Lorenzo  - hope holidays going well, putting on running kit and sweating is basically training isn’t it?

Minni – nice fell racing

GM – hope your knee clears up quickly, have you tried foam rolling?

Joolska – good new PB!

CC2 – good PB too!

Poacher – excellent result, and nice trophies.  Have you got another lined up already?

Things have been Ok here. Didn’t have to run in the early morning on Friday, so was able to do something more useful: 11M with 2x 3M. Aiming for sub 7 for the first three (slightly uphill) and sub 6.50s for the second 3 (slightly downhill), both came out on target and with a HR below MP HR (from the one marathon Ive done) so that was very pleasing.

Sunday I had a sore knee and the sensible part of my brain was thinking –‘ just go out and see how it feels, if it hurts knock it on the head’, the rest of my brain was trying to decide whether I should do 16 or 20. In the end it warmed up a bit and I did a P+D stylee 17miler with the first half at about 8.15 and the second half about 7.25, for a 7.49 average. Two good runs in a row, that hasn’t happened in a while.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Thought it was time I caught up on here. Have endured a miserable few weeks fitness wise. The runners knee I carried through my last weeks of training for Halstead is still not recovered fully despite a number of weeks of rest.

I will try to have a good catch up later. Can see lots of good stuff going on. - trophies!!!

Happy running!

• JD3 wrote (see)

PMJ – welcome back, are you following a specific plan for VLM?

The current plan is to follow P&D at one of the higher mile counts so the 55 - 70 but use the shorter time plan (I can't remember exactly but it is 16 and not 24 or something like that). I don't think my body will hold up to sustauined high mile weeks but that seems to be the best option open to me (either higher volume or higher quality) so I need to try for longer weeks but a bit less intense than the last two compaigns.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Very good splits for your 10k bar the 3rd one as you said. I work in metrics and normally drift between 6-8 and that has stopped me running a sub 40 10k so far but have only raced about 3 in that past two and a half years. Awesome 3k btw, can't recall if you said that it was a road race or track meet. Impressive time nonetheless and if my knee behaves itself I will be doing a 3k road race next Tuesday. Would be happy with low 11 though.

Minni - Have not run since Friday's debacle and will continue to rest until Wednesday and will go for a slow jog to see if it is better.

Speedy - Super 1500 time. Am dying to race one of them but can't imagine I would get near that sort of speed!!

Poacher - Great performance and nice trophies! Been 25 years since I've won owt!

JD3 - No, I haven't tried that. I fear there may be ligament damage, do you think it would help at all?

DS - What's the matter with your knee?

Cheers Gul. Been meaning to ask how come you race so infrequently? Any luck in the job market yet??

On an aside I passed my exam I was swotting for a few month's back. Three more weeks and it will head down again until xmas!image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a great run poacher I know it's a tough course- 2 mighty big trophies for your mantle piece!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

The trophies are barely visible to the naked eye.  I'm thinking of buying a mantelpiece for a dolls house, to create the illusion of grandeur 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Those trophies look bigger than mine Poacher. Well done on the result yesterday; one for the chaps as the thread ladies still seem to be tearing it up on the track.

Treadmill session today, 14m in total. Some interest added to the run by

- forgetting go-faster trainers and having to run in a manky old pair of much abused trainers (turned out to be comfortable)

- a 10k threshold bit in 37:50

- followed up by easy pace while watching the 3000m steeplechase heats, and trying not to jump when they got to the hurdles

- and then a bit more pace when the 400m hurdles came on.

Watching athletics proved to be motivating.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Those trophies are much bigger than mine too Poacher given I dont have any. Nice running to bag them.

Lit/Speedy - When is the ladies slapdown and is it a straight forward winner takes all thingy or are ther perms?

Out for a 4 or 5 miler test later. I am now at least a belt notch up on where I was a few short weeks backimage

• Mennania, it is a battle to the death.

Not really, it is a four-race league and we are currently joint first with one race to go, so fighting it out for first and second place, basically. Much more exciting than the men's race, where the leader can just win by turning up. Though I notice that there are no rules covering what happens if the bloke in 3rd beats the bloke in 2nd by one place.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Just thinking Amy hasn't been back. I hope she's writing her training plan. image

• Oooh, nice trophies Poacher!

Lit - it goes on countback. Whichever of them finished higher than the other in more races take it. Of course that worked fine when there were 5 races, it might not work so well with 4... 

Niggle is improving but I was taking no chances and didn't run today. I managed 30 mins on the elliptical before I died of boredom. 

• That's what I meant - they'd end up with 2 races each... I didn't run today either because of the 'no running two days before a race' rule that only exists in my head. Glad the niggle is getting better, or the showdown would be a bit anticlimactic.

• Trophies indeed! Super stuff.

Well done to other recent racers too. Very impressive results all round.

Nothing happening here I'm afraid. Shin is still very sore and I am seriously doubting my autumn marathon attempt image