Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

I've done BB on a humid day and it did get the better of me, but it's still pretty!

10M easy tonight was a vast improvement on 11M queasy on Sunday image

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Joolska wrote (see)

AR: Burnham Beeches is such a lovely course - well worth a day out!

That surely needs some emoticon (image) as the year I did it it was horrendously humid and the woods that seem to offer shade do not help, all they do is shepherd the humidity. lap 1 was easy, lap 2 a horror show. Others tell similar tales for other years. From their website:

The 2012 Half Marathon took place on one of the hottest days days the year, making the course much tougher than usual. Sunday looks to be a clear day after a wet Saturday = humidity.

I did last years and it was really humid and hot. I will probably decide on the day. If a late night kills my interest I may end up  walking  the dogs round there. As Jools says, it is a nice place.

Good to hear you are recovering Jools. Hopefully that is it now for this campaign.

One Gear  - I never intended you to step into the dark side  ........ but welcome. Finding how to switch off any time limits the gym/hotel put on the treadmill is the first bit of sorcery you have  to work on image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - sounds pretty good then, back to bombing along already. Abo is 50/50 at the mo, not doing enough mileage, but we'll see what Sundays 1/2 turns up. The 10M was a track and trail race through woods etc up on the South Downs, 63min, no idea of how accurate it was but I came 5th and was 1st coffin dodger, it was hard work so thats good enough for me. Think I'm pretty running fit, I did a 5M race in 28:49 back in June, all races untapered of course.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - Overall pace for the reps was roughly what I was aiming for, just a bit disappointed that they weren't more consistent. I'm a bit surprised how many races there seem to be on Jersey! I would be a bit cautious with the knee - maybe you  could do a slow MLR with the option to add a few miles on the end if all is well?
    Minni - I'm very fortunate to live only just over a mile away from a parkrun.
    AR - good dreadmill session as ever. Burnham Beeches sounds like it ought to be a horse race!
    Jools - get well soon.
    SJ - thanks for reminding me why I don't do workouts!
    OG - another one gone over to the dark side!
    Speedy - hope you're OK in time for the smackdown.
    9 slow miles d&d.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thats a nice 5m time and I guess a pb TR? You're having a storming year. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - It's easy to go a fraction too fast and then the rest become slighty distorted. Still they are fast reps and well done. I can't imagine I would manage that pace without difficulty. Indeed the next three weeks or so are looking like this, 3k road race 20.8.13, 10k road race 25.8.13, 6k xc 1.9.13 and another 10k 15.9.13.

Will see how the knee is today with an easy 5k lunch run. Maybe a good idea re MLR.

Keir - Glad your on the mend!

Jools - Nice recovery with that 10 miler. Strange lurgy!

Bike It - Will you be doing another Comrades?

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

GM - Yes I will run Comrades again.  Not sure which year though.  I'm not decided to enter this year or not due to my work situation.  I will defenently be back to get my BIll Rowan (sub9) for the UP run so 2015 or 2017

Treadmill running is not so bad.  My run from yesterday was 10.4 miles outside at what feels like MP at the moment (7:40image). 20 minutes on the threadmill at 7.5degrees gradient at about 10:00m/m, then another mile run back to the office.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I only tuned in to enjoy the sledging between Lit and Speedyimage. Enjoy the race ladies.

• Options

Yeah... it goes like this: "you'll probably win", "no, you'll probably win"...

• Options

How to run for an hour on a dreadmill without it having a paddy 3 minutes from the end? Come on, you know what I mean, the point at which it says "Cool Down Period" just at the point when you are ramping it up to beat Usain Bolt to the line.

Durr

It's not hard.

You set it for 1 hour 05 minutes.

Anyway, just over 3 weeks until my next marathon. A sub 3:15 it will not be.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

good luck to speedy and lit.  look forward to the results and reports. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - I race rarely so that was a PB, most of my PBs are soft as most races are B or C priority and I rarely prepare for them or taper for them. I must set some decent PBs before I get too old. Not a storming yr really, VLM was solid after a bad start to the campaign, but I was probably fitter than I thought I was and maybe should have aimed a minute or 2 quicker, low mileage numpties like me shouldnt run such an even pace. Just trying to keep up a better level of running year round this year which means I wont have so far to come back from in January, the odd race keeps the enthusiasm up. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - busy race schedule! Good luck with the knee.
    Bike It - nice mixed terrain run!
    Blisters - yes, but you'll probably not stop after 1 hour!
    TR - I think you would certainly set some pretty mean PBs.
    5 easy miles this morning.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

erm, have I missed something? Did the smackdown happen?  image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Yes and there are many more in the autumn too. Did a 20 min lunch run as opposed to running 5k, logic was that if I was running the time as opposed to the distance I would go slower and it worked. Got to 10 mins and turned around and did the 2nd half in 9:58 so a very successful even paced run with no knee trouble. I think the best thing for it now is at least 3 more days of very gentle running and see how the land lies. Another lunchrun today, this time it will be 25 mins.

Lit/SG - Dying to know how it went??

Blisters- Pls remind me what marathon you are doing? I thought you said you were doing Amsterdam or maybe I am confusing you with someone else. Why do you think sub 3:15 is not a goer?

• Options

The suspense will make it more exciting. Unless we're still out there running it or something.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lit - I can't bear it! Pray tell.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

The results must be out there somewhere

18m with 3x3m intervals. the plan for the ints was 2m @ PMP (6.25) and 1m @PMP + 10sec. However after reading the Hudson 5k to marathon book I've started to think that I need to work on my speed endurance a bit more so replaced the final 1m of each rep to HMP (6.10). First int was hard, stopped with 1/2m to go in 2nd rep for a breather before completing and after 2m in the last rep. Legs tired now. 

• Options

Well, I can exclusively reveal that the sub-3:15 ladies won the league, though we didn't win the race as a speedy U20 whippersnapper turned up. Here is a picture of us with our confusingly identically-coloured medals to prove it.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/IMG_4316_(640x513)_(320x257).jpg

(sorry Speedy, I realise this one doesn't really show either of us from our best angle. Everyone else: we're both way more devastatingly attractive than this in real life).

• Options

DS2 – good to hear from you, hope the knee recovers soon

PMJ – sounds like a good plan, my P+D offers 18 and 12 week plans, but I think the first edition offers longer ones still. I’m about 12 weeks into a slightly customised 55-70mile 18 week plan at the moment.

GM – I’m scared to suggest anything one way or another RE your knee, especially if you think it might be ligaments. I find foam rolling helps me when my legs get tight though, (and my legs get tighter quicker when I don’t foam roll.) Congrats on the exam pass

AR – nice treadmill sessions. I remember doing some rowing on the machine once and the world champs swimming was on, when they put down the moving line to some WR pace I look at the screen and was going much faster than planned as I tried to force the swimmer under the record pace. Could have been dangerous if you started hurdling though! Any more thoughts on Burnham Beeches? I’m doing it as a MP session, hopefully it’s less hot than last year. PMJ’s right the woods did make it muggy.

SJ – hope that the shin is improving

Lorenzo – 7.40s a reasonable pace for a first run in a little while, sure it’ll come back soon enough.

Gul – sorry you weren’t pleased with your intervals; I’d be chuffed with 4 miles averaging under 6mins. Hope parkrun goes well

Jools – sorry about the lurgy, hope it’s cleared up now.

Keir – I agree about hills for strength, might be tempted to look at the book you mention. I need to get less precious about the splits that I get and more interested in the training benefits. Nice 18miler too.

TR – not sure I like the idea of a loopy hilly 20, but I’m sure that it is good training. I’ve read several places that the long runs need to (nearer the race at least) mimic that profile of the race you are doing, so flatter might be better pre VLM like you say. Nice 5Miler too

One Gear – you’re braver than me, I can’t stand the idea of treadmills

Blisters – what marathon is it you’re doing?

CC2 / Literatin – well done on the medals!

A ploddy start to the week for me, with 8 plods on Monday and 9 plods with strides on Tuesday. Then yesterday I did the first P+D VO2 session, except instead of 800m I did about 830m (from the junction to the line in the tarmac) they all came out OK, and averaged approximately 5k pace, though I lost my concentration on the last one so it was a couple of seconds slower than the rest. I washed them down with a 10k plod today.

Starting to have thoughts of a spring Ironman creep into mind. 

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Hi JD3 - still not decided on BB.  I am planning a very slow 18 - 20 first thing tomorrow, then on Saturday I will be at Rewind Festival in Henley all day, probably standing in the rain, and then spending 3 hours trying to get out the car park at 2am.

I  too was looking to use BB as a MP session, but I notice last years pace on that hot day (an all out effort) was a bit slower than my planned MP

Just the thought of an ironman make me feel ..image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lit/SG - Nice foto & bling there!

JD3 - Thanks re exam and advice re foam roller. I must invest I think as quite a few folk have spoken of their benefits.

25 uneventful minute run along seafront this lunch. 5k at roughly 8mm pace it was very warm today and the knee felt grand although it's not 100's but much better. Easy does it again tomorrow and the day after me thinks!

• Options

If I was a little bit injured going in to the race yesterday, I am now a big bit injured. The injury bench is mine. My lower leg looks like it has swallowed a mango. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Shoot, sorry to hear that Speedy.  Rest and cross-train, although it sounds as if there is now no other option...  Fingers crossed for you.

• Options

Gerard - glad to hear knee seems to be getting better.

Speedy - ouch - a mango-sized swelling where that tiny plaster was yesterday? Hope it clears up soon.

*whispers* btw, I think we've totally got away with not telling them who won.

• Options

Yeah, the magic sticker failed to work. image

• Options

I think I have finally identified the injury - Tibialis anterior tendonitis. Pain underneath the trans-crural ligament where it crosses over the tibialis anterior tendon. Anyone know how to fix that?

• Options

Um, the internet says 'rest'. Not sure how well that fits in with your plans though. image

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Super thread-lady bling that. Excellent work. Speedy, get well soon.  But if it persists, cut it out with a Stanley knife and make a tasty chutney image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I love Mangos.  I hate injuries - sorry to hear that Speedy.

I don't have a fix for your symptoms, but I believe the cause will be in your hip.  I suggust to try a good foam roller session at all angles of the hip and find any pain there. (My tibial perisotitis is due to one of my adductors being too tight).  If you find any pain then strech that localised muscle

• Options

I can recommend a good local sports masseur if that would help, too.