ASICS SUPER SIX-PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!

Well here goes...
I seem to have been challenged by self imposed obesity since the age of 10 (and yes at that point i announced my retirement from the Olympic team!) I am now ready to come out of retirement and see what can happen. I do want to continue to lose weight and attempt to shift away from the 24 pack stomach that is presently wobbling away in front of me and having a belly button that is like a cave- sorry that's gross but true- i do think it could be a cave though and that's where Osama's been hiding all this time! This is a great chance to get help and support to be the healhiest/fittest I have ever been and to set my family up for a different way of living.
My family and I had a bad springtime this years with me admitted for a prolonged stay in hospital with enchepalitus (brian inflammation). After two months I was able to start my recovery at home and trying to get back to where i was before.
I slooowly survived the Paris marathon in 2009 (5hr 55mins) when i was well and so to have the chance to go back, with all the support from the professionals, to at least get back to where I was before (or hopefully way beyond) will be an emotional journey which I will share every plodding step of the way.
I have a young family and i am a teach so training time is precious and the coaches have already made me start to realise that i need to examine this sacred exercise time to utilise it better, instead of just plodding along like i have for years. My kids, Emma and Owen, already have enjoyed doing the physio exercises with me. This also goes really well with my work as the example can be seen at school that similar kids to me at a young age can see that things can change if you try.
Photos, videos and blogs to give you regular up-dates of every fact from the running prophets that are the ASICS coaches, all the titbits (physio found my glutes and stretched me in ways finding body parts i never knew existed!) and training advice to see how much it can really help the tortoise of the running world.

Its as cheesy as two slabs of edam with some chedder in the middle but i'm hoping for a life changing experience that i will make sure will benefit as many others as possible.

Join in with me and we can all do it together and see how much the expert advice and support can hlep us to achieve our goals in the springtime.

Many thanks- please vote for me image

Comments

• Errrr should you be revealing yourself?   image

Oh yes, I see the voting has been released under cover for some reason ??
  • The chosen!

All out in the open now!  Congratulations on making it through to the final 18  image

• Hi all! Just to let you know I've been a member for a long time on runners world using the site for advice and events so pretty please don't be too harsh on a newbie to the forum world. I am really excited to have the chance to go for this opportunity and will share absolutely everthing with you-gross photos of blisters an all!
  • Sorry theres no photo my computering skills are so weak- i've tried so many times to get one on but as the top show little Britain says- computer says no image

• whoop whoop- let the merry go round begin!!!  image

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/344226/Gallery/boy_physio.jpg

This is my son demonstrating some of the physio picked up at the birmingham weekend! The physio on the day was soooo lovely and showed me some great stretches to do. She could tell i was a plodder and recommended that i do what is shown above. Back flat at end of the bed and i pull 1 leg towards me (hes helping me get it up) then push the other leg in the opposite direction and I got this feeling of what the hell is that part of my body but helped immensly with jogging later! PS thats my wifes twilight poster she is obsessed- its always oooh edward soo dreamy! lol

• kittenkat wrote (see)

Which part of the interpretation of 'you will already be a member' did I miss in the entry instructions??

Indeed. I voted for Bridget because I've heard of her.

I know that's the same spirit that got Ronald Reagan elected, but it's all I've got to work with. 

• Wobbled wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Which part of the interpretation of 'you will already be a member' did I miss in the entry instructions??

Indeed. I voted for Bridget because I've heard of her.

Ditto.

Last year's thread gatecrashing was a bit image

Good luck Sparklyimage

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Errrr should you be revealing yourself?   image

Oh yes, I see the voting has been released under cover for some reason ??
    I've finally revealed myself, even with a spot on my head!
  • Hello Mustkeeptrying!

I wish you all the luck in the world. I have to say from my experience last year that this week is the worst bit. I'm sure you will develop a thicker skin by the end!

•  Mustkeeptrying wrote (see)

Hi all! Just to let you know I've been a member for a long time on runners world using the site for advice and events so pretty please don't be too harsh on a newbie to the forum world. I am really excited to have the chance to go for this opportunity and will share absolutely everthing with you-gross photos of blisters an all!

Fair enough but why have you only decided to join in with the forum now you've been shortlisted? As I see it you only want to talk to us now you want our vote.  I'm sorry but I'm not impressed. On a personal level, I hope you achieve your goals and wish you luck but I'm not voting for you.

And also, becoming a RW member in order for a chance of selection and then appearing on the forum order to get votes is cynical in the extreme. RW you should be ashamed at pandering to this year after year.

I voted for Bridget and only Bridget - good luck Bridget!

• Thanks sprinkletoes! your right i do need a thicker skin i'm just a sensitive soul that is asking for help with my shuffling attempt at running!

Screampillar- i have been a member of runners world for a couple of years and have used the site for hints tips, looking at races and equipment-which has been ace.

The reason i'm getting involved with the forums now is that I have renewed confidence in myself and i am really enjoying the chats with people. I have been put off forums before by people that seem to enjoy being nasty to others and for me this is a brave step.

I too wish bridget all the best and everyone else as everyone was lovely at that day in Birmingham.

• Screampillar -

Erm -  part of the 'deal' with the SuperSix is that you can host a thread, delivering news on training, passing on tips and product stuff (i.e it's a marketing thing). Mustkeepgoing is marketing himself here. As he is supposed to. It's. Part. Of. The. Game.

Complaining that Mustkeepgoing is here doing this is like complaining the wannabees on X Factor keep asking for your phone vote.

RW's job is to increase website traffic. It clearly works.

• Mustkeeptrying wrote (see)

Thanks sprinkletoes! your right i do need a thicker skin i'm just a sensitive soul that is asking for help with ............

*sound of fog horn*

*slams red button*

*trap door opens*

• I am still chuckling at the "Entries close midday, xxxday December xx."
  • I get your analogy Sprinkletoes,

But surely expecting forumites to vote for a person they've never heard of is like asking someone who has never actually watched the X Factor to vote for one of the contestants - in that respect it makes no sense whatsoever.

Perhaps nobody should vote for anybody - just let them all get on with it. image

• I think you can vote for newbies based on their pitch, even if you don't know them from the forum.

Personally I thought this pitch was rather too whiney and made me cringe... hence to quote Lord Sugar... "you're fired".

If their pitch is funny, engaging, interesting etc I don't mind voting for someone I don't know, but of course would be much more likely to vote for a known forumite if it's someone I know and like.  image

• VMoxy isn't very ambitious - from a 5h5m PB to a sub-5h marathon? That's a breeze.
  • 5.55 to sub 5 is quite an ask tbh with you, over 2mins a mile quicker!! Not to be sniffed at really.

Lets be a bit supportive, even if he desn't get to be a super six, it's stll nice to support people in their endevours.

• Thanks for your comments ogee image.

I know its a big ask to shift down to sub 5hr but i think that this is the real point of the competition and opportunity- if someone is given all the proper professional support and equipment then how much of a difference can this make?

• I have no idea, it should work fine but it's down to the person at the sharp end, thats you that isimage to put in the training, remember, put in the right mileage & follow the schedule properly & you should be fine & be able to achieve your goal, however,if you don't then it'll be a painful process.

Good luckimage

*Goes off to train for his own race*

• He's lying Ogee doesn't train image
  • Mustkeeptrying wrote (see)

Thanks for your comments ogee image.

I know its a big ask to shift down to sub 5hr but i think that this is the real point of the competition and opportunity- if someone is given all the proper professional support and equipment then how much of a difference can this make?

Well, I am no position to comment on that image I managed a PW with all the professional support and equipment..

*scurries back to Fetch*

• Hay Mustkeeptrying,
    Firstly - well done on getting shortlisted - its an achievement in itself!

Secondly - Im a little surprised at some of the comments made previously regarding the amount of time participating in forum discussions. Like me, you have been a member for a while now and have had the opportunity to read some good advice from others no doubt, which Im sure you are grateful for. I can understand the view that you wouldn't vote for someone you didn't really know but I thought the whole idea of the running community was to welcome new people into the circle and hear what they have to say first. But each to their own I guess.
    All the best mate - keep running, thats the main thing!

• thanks Helen and yeah your right runners world has been great for advice over the years.

The majority of people have been welcoming though and for me thats the beauty of what we enjoy doing- whether its running, squash, going to gym, slasa, bongo drums, whatever, meeting nice people and getting some exericse and having fun is what i think it should all be about.

thanks again image

• Helen, I'm not remotely interested in running a big race, so would never want to apply, but I read and posted in the threads last year.

I think why some forumites (and I include myself in this) get a bit cynical about this process is that a large number of people suddenly appear (the SS nominees), going on about how great this forum is, then, when they don't get their place, disappear, never to be heard from again.  One particularly annoying aspect last year was threads being hijacked / gatecrashed by people just chasing votes - all they did was cut and paste their application form and stick it into as many threads as they could.

I'm also a tad cynical about these people with a few posts to their name who apparently joined the forum some time ago, "love it to bits", but never post. 

The whole point of this forum is that it is give and take and it seems to me that people who aren't prepared to give something back by posting are missing out and missing the point.  If they say that they are happy to lurk (ie take the advice) but not give something back in return, that seems selfish.  There are experts on here and they give of their advice freely, the rest of us are just happy to pass on whatever we've learned to help others.

I'd vote for people who are regular forumites, not because I know them, but because, IMHO, they have given something to this forum.  They have been doing it for years because they wanted to participate, not just in the last few days because they wanted votes.

• My sentiments exactly, Jeepers.

We ought to get RW Towers to do a "Where are they now" on them.image