Options

ASICS SUPER SIX-PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!

Comments

• Options
    Fair enough, I understand and respect that. Regardless of the outcome of this competition, I would like to think that the guys 'new to the forums' will now take the initiative and post more regularly reference training and advice. I've had a look at each SS contender and most of them are new to the forums - could be quite difficult to vote?
  • Options
    Well said Jeepers..... my sentiments exactly........ BTW where is Rio this year ???????
  • Options
    helen jamieson 3 wrote (see)
    Fair enough, I understand and respect that. Regardless of the outcome of this competition, I would like to think that the guys 'new to the forums' will now take the initiative and post more regularly reference training and advice.

It's not just training and advice - there are plenty of threads on those - as someone pointed out last year, there is already a lot of groups who have been posting for years in the same categories as the SS groups. 

It's about joining in the forum as a whole - look at the posts of forumites who've been posting for years - you'll probably find very little on the technical side and more on the social. 

I'm not having a pop at the newbies, but some of the posts of the SS contenders seem to think that they are the only ones who will be training "properly" - as newbies to RW, they'd probably be surprised at the depth and breadth of experience on here.

• Options

wowzers this is a scarey mary thread! There's a hundred and one valid points here, most crucially  a) never posting before b) crawling out the woodwork asking for votes and c) the unlikely ones probably scuttling off never to be heard of again - but can we possibly discuss a bit further the reasons for these?! 

a) never posted before - there seems to be a sweeping assumption that this is because us lurkers (ex)are too bone idle to type and / or greedy buggers who only want to absorb the posts of others whilst lurking resolutely thinking "i'm not going to tell them anything about me, nope, diddly squat, i shall keep all my knowledge wit and joviality to myself" - i'd hazard a guess that neither is really an accurate reason as to why someone lurks not posts, it certainly hasn't been my reason! Mine has been that it really honestly hasn't entered my head that i could or should post - i happily sit here reading posts from these people who, after a day or two, take on the status of minor celebrities in my mind and the idea that anyone would have the slightest bit of interest in something i might say has previously been outrageous!!

b) crawling out the woodwork - yep that one is spot on. Reasons: I entered a competition run by the magazine / website i've become obsessed with since dicovering it in July, 5 months after i started running. Much like when you complete a job application there are requirements you know you can meet in bucketloads: enthusiasm, dedication, commitment, determination etc etc and there are those that you know you have the key skills to do but you might need a bit of time to polish these skills. Having been stunned and amazed to make the shortlist, the lurkers amongst us have accepted the parts of the job appl that we don't feel quite so qualified in, because of course we all want to be part of this forum world full of names as familiar as Peggy Mitchell and now we feel we might have something worthy of mentioning!

c) the unluckly finalists scuttling back to where they came from never to be heard of again - i anticipate that i will be one of these as I have two exceptionally inspirational ladies in my category one of whom is a forum favourite who rightfully has open support by the bucketload.  My intention if i'm unlucky is to sign up to a spring mara and follow, support and virtually train with the winning sixer in my group because the mara is my goal. Will I be scuttling back where i came from? That depends on how the rest of this week goes on these forums! Have a read back over the earlier posts on this thread.... if you were an ex lurker for the reasons i've said could you face coming back?

Running Rox Sub 4:15

(Founding member of RSPOL.  Royal Society for Protection of Lurkers)

• Options

RR - I found this forum a few months after I started running.  I joined in a newbies thread, I just introduced myself, said "I'm new, can I join in please?"   But a lot of newbies just start their own threads "Hello, I'm X and I'm new to the forum, just introducing myself."

From the newbies thread, I moved on to post on other threads, relevant to my history, "real" not just running.  I have two children, both of whom are autistic, so I posted on all sorts threads vaguely connected to ASDs etc.  I also work in  primary schools, so posted anything that I found relevant there.  I've had injuries, I've posted on those threads, I've recommended phyios, pods and running shops, linked people to injury rehab websites that I've found helpful. When people post threads about problems in their life, I'll post, if it's with advice based on my own experience or just (( )), I'll do it.  If there are amusing threads, I'll join in.  I post regularly on a few in the clubhouse.

The list goes on, but I hope that you get my point.  I've noticed that so many of the newbie SS contenders are under the misguided apprehension that they should only post about training and I don't know where that misunderstanding comes from.  The winners will have to - many of us do anyhow, in our own training threads - mine started off as a weight-loss thread, but in the meantime, the forum's your oyster.  Enjoy it, there's so much more to it than just a training blog.

And what will you all do if you do get selected - will you post in your training threads, run the marathon and then not bother any more?  Back on my soapbox, but I do feel that it's only reasonable to give something back, and I don't mean the training blog because that's a requirement - if not, then it seems to me that you're just using the forum.  And that seems to be a comment made by one of the other SS contenders, that she'd only bother posting on the forum if it meant that she got the training that she wants.

I post because I enjoy it.

• Options

Thanks for replying Jeepers and fairplay I can now see exactly where you're coming from. I can only speak for myself and say that i have only delved into the training threads so far so thats why i might be a bit misguided about it being all about training. I had no idea that the forums were such a source of support across such a range of things, like as you have described ASD's. As i mentioned I'm new to running, runners world and the forum within the last few months so i'd like to think it would have been inevitable that i'd pluck up the courage to post at some point, infact i posted first just before the long listing because i was enjoying the banter going on on the thread of applicants so much; then low and behold about fifteen minutes later i got the "call" and got sworn to secrecy! I was in a catch twenty two then i thought cause if i'd have carried on posting at that point i'd have been hung drawn and quartered as a genuine forum "user" at a later point cause it would have really looked like i'd infiltrated on purpose!!  I'm following three threads at the moment connected with the super six and have posted on them, not plugging for votes just getting involved in the coversations happening because i'm finding it really enjoyable in a slighly-masochistic kind of way!!! Unless i come directly under attack i think by the time the weeks out i'll be well and truly hooked. Infact my husband and step-springoffs have alreday started giving it " are you still on there?!?" "whens my tea" and "what are you laughing at NOW?!". Thanks for the fair response and for opening my eyes to why the forumites are protective of the community.

Running Rox - Sub 4:15

• Options
    Running Rox wrote (see)

As i mentioned I'm new to running, runners world and the forum within the last few months so i'd like to think it would have been inevitable that i'd pluck up the courage to post at some point, infact i posted first just before the long listing because i was enjoying the banter going on on the thread of applicants so much; then low and behold about fifteen minutes later i got the "call" and got sworn to secrecy!

I'm sure that you could have posted on any of the threads in the forum - I think that the only requirement at that stage was that you didn't give anything away.  No-one would have known that you were one of the SS contenders, so you wouldn't have been asked any embarrassing questions.  Newbies join the forum daily, so you wouldn't have stood out to us, although perhaps to you it felt screamingly obvious.

I was in a catch twenty two then i thought cause if i'd have carried on posting at that point i'd have been hung drawn and quartered as a genuine forum "user" at a later point cause it would have really looked like i'd infiltrated on purpose!!  

TBH, it looks more as though SS contenders have "infiltrated" for the reasons that I've already mentioned.

Take a look at the threads and just join in.  If people want to know who you are, they'll ask and I reckon you'll get a better reception (and maybe more votes) if you just pretend to be one of us - the great unwashed.  If you're reticent about joining in, let me know and I'll introduce you on one of my regular threads.

• Options
    Evening!  Only just discovered this one but popped in to thank Wobbled, Jeepers and Screamapillar for their support.  I'm not going to get into the debate about newbies v oldies except to say that from my point of view having put myself around a bit over the years hasn't done me any harm image
  • Options

And for very good reasons

Also some newbies might do well to understand that most of us can't be bothered to read through a post if it's longer than the entire computer screen and telling us all about me me me and why we should vote for youimage

Vote Moraghan

• Options
    Jeepers in a Winter Wonderland wrote (see)
    I post because I enjoy it.

I agree with all you said there Jeepers - cut the post short  a bit as was long, but what I left in sums it all up.

I love posting up the runs that I have done each week and also when I am having a good week or race I like to talk about, similarly when it goes tits up I also talk about it to see were it all went wrong. I have learnt so much from other people on different threads and when you think you know it all - you find out you don't!

I also love all the stupid threads (you know the ones I mean by a Vet from Bromley - absolute forum class they are!).

Don't forget to vote on the sub 3.15 thread - Knight Rider.

I know it is shameless plugging, but hey why not image

• Options

I'm sure that you could have posted on any of the threads in the forum - I think that the only requirement at that stage was that you didn't give anything away.  No-one would have known that you were one of the SS contenders, so you wouldn't have been asked any embarrassing questions.  Newbies join the forum daily, so you wouldn't have stood out to us, although perhaps to you it felt screamingly obvious

Jeepers yes it would have felt screamingly obvious and a down right cheek to be honest at that point, it would have felt very much like infiltrating. I know you disagree but it feels way more honest to be upfront in the circumstances.

TBH, it looks more as though SS contenders have "infiltrated" for the reasons that I've already mentioned.

I'm a bit confused - i've only "Infiltrated" the SS threads - i don't think that this counts as infiltrating as they are threads about the SS?!?!?

Take a look at the threads and just join in.  If people want to know who you are, they'll ask and I reckon you'll get a better reception (and maybe more votes) if you just pretend to be one of us - the great unwashed.  If you're reticent about joining in, let me know and I'll introduce you on one of my regular threads.

Isn't this exactly what "infiltrating" is?!?!  Def: To enter or take up positions gradually or surreptitiously, as for purposes of espionage or takeover. Any which way i look at it Jeepers to be turning up on other threads, subtly joining in, at this moment in time feels sneaky and dishonest. Again, i feel more comfortable being completely up front and honest on the threads that are about the SS. I'm not comfortable with canvassing, i'd just like to have a good chat with those interested in the SS process and catch up with the people i have met through this comp and those that i've conversed with on here.

• Options
    Two screens' worth of me me me, then......
  • Options

Am I missing something?

I'm not comfortable with canvassing, i'd just like to have a good chat with those interested in the SS process and catch up with the people i have met through this comp and those that i've conversed with on here.

So the only reason why you've come onto the forum is to canvass for votes.  If it weren't for the chance to win the competition, you wouldn't have bothered.

Shame you can't see the forum for what it is.

Luckily I can.

*goes off to post on other threads*

• Options
    Does anyone remember the supersix's from last year? Did newbies become oldies?
  • Options

Jeepers - i know its taking a lot of effort to deliberately miss the point i'm making but i think i've been quite clear: I am not comfortable with canvassing therefore i am not. I did want to speak to people genuinely interested in the whole training for a marathon / SS thing old and new, current and past; thats what i thought the forums were about, but you're right i missed the point. Yourself & Hashette have demonstrated clearly what the SS threads are about for a few of you.

• Options

Hi Rox- remember me from Birmingham the guy who disasterly tried to guess your career! lol

There are some crazy people on here that seem very territorial over 'their' precious forums and that seem very closed and cold.

Do they know that you are one of the warmest, freindliest people i have met? Do they know that you were soooo supportive when you cheered me on when i was the slowest plodding around the track at birmingham?

I think the forum should be a positive, supportive environment where anyone is welcome. I feel sad for those that need to criticise, judge and put other people down.

Vote Rox image

• Options

Hi Mustkeeptrying.  Firstly congratulations on getting through to the shortlist.  I was the one who plodded round the track with you.  Can I just stick up for some "crazy closed and cold people" on here, who are not closed or crazy at all (although the forum does have a few of those!).   What you have to remember is that this competition has been held for a number of years and we have seen some Super Sixers selfishly blitz all kinds of threads so there is an understandable amount of sceptisim.  I remember even the cr@p swimmers thread being invaded by touts for votes (from non-swimmers) last year with no contribution to the topic at all.  At the end of the voting they all disapeared.  I actually agree with much of what Jeepers is saying - and the majority of this forum is very welcoming, supportive and positive.  It has got me through good times and hard times and I've met a some good real friends here.  If you all look around the place and forget the Super Six for a couple of moments you will see that new people are generally welcomed very warmly.  But its a two-way process.  image

Good luck to everyone.  I've already voted but its a secret. image

• Options

Hi Soup dragon- check me out for getting on my soap box and getting all political. I've been watchin the students all day- crikey look at what they did to prince charles car!

I'm sorry they did not put you through for the next stage but it was lovely to meet you and i've fond memories of when we crossed the line together in that 1st training sessionimage.

I agree most people are friendly and helpful. From what i've read it seems that some people have been scarred by previous years competitions but some seem so distraught that they are predisposed to launch an attack on those people who, hey, it mght be their first time posting, so what, lifes too short, lets have fun and make each other happy image. I just hope it does not put people off from joining forums as i have experienced in the past.

• Options
    P.S schoolboy error- must remember not to drink coffee after 10pm. I am wired can anyone recommend a crap TV show to induce sleep? am a vege so can't count sheep lol- not really life without bacon would be harshimage
  • Options
    Mustkeeptrying wrote (see)
    scarred.......distraught.......

I think that was last night's Corrie rather than the Super Siximage

Well said Soupy, sums it up nicely

• Options

I agree most people are friendly and helpful. From what i've read it seems that some people have been scarred by previous years competitions but some seem so distraught that they are predisposed to launch an attack on those people who, hey, it mght be their first time posting, so what, lifes too short, lets have fun and make each other happy image. I just hope it does not put people off from joining forums as i have experienced in the past.

Funny how you seem to accept what I'm trying to say from Soupie, who was one of the entrants, but find it more difficult to accept it from those of who didn't enter.

If you read my post, you'll see that I offered to introduce RR to some of the forumites that I know (I've never met any of them, I only know them on here) and to show her around the forum.

We're just trying to make the point and show you that there is more to the RW forum than just the SS competition and the winners' training threads.  We'd hope that you'd get enough out of being part of the forum to want to stay on afterwards.

• Options

I dunno Hash,

I remember many a time of distraughtness and scardiness (sorry - that's a Baby Spinkle word I've now taken into my lexicology) last year!!

I wasn't a newbie when I entered the Super 6 competition but neither did I feel image that newbies were shortlisted. The invasion of of non Super 6 threads to get post counts up and the names about was dodgy. Ultimately I think these people sealed their own fates.

• Options

There are some crazy people on here that seem very territorial over 'their' precious forums and that seem very closed and cold.

ooohhh... how to win friends and influence people.... image

• Options
    I'd agree too, but I might get shot down for saying thatimage.
  • Options

I think the experience of last year has affected the feelings towards the Super Six nominees negatively.

Last year was the first XFactor style vote because previously the forumites complained that RW Towers made the decisions choosing the Super Six. Playing devil's advocate here, I think RW Towers feels as though they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Mustkeepingtrying - you seem like a decent sort of fella but please do not under estimate the feelings of the forumites. This place is a part of their lives. Of course they guard it. Be careful what you type.

• Options

Hey MustKeepTrying are you still here?!? I hope so seeing as it was your thread to start with!! I was mega chuffed to see you had made the final and i've told everyone i know that they should vote for you cause you were a hilarious legend at bootcamp and a serious try-er who deserves this opportunity!

Thanks so much for the support, really much appreciated as have been feeling very imageimageimage&image  after the initial responses on here. I went and hid behind the sofa for a day or so (only coming out to wee and run) but having just partaken in the best part of a bottle of rose am feeling much better and thought i might be brave enough to log back in, but am very tempted to revert to previous lurking habits having had all worst fears about posting realised!

I hope you trained that boy of yours to perform those physio exercises properly else you may end up permanently damaged.... image

• Options

Hi Rox, thanks for being so lovely but i would expect nothing else as you are the definition of nice in the dictionary! I was worried about you as like you i take peoples comments to heart and  I to turned to self-medication- i did some rose while watchin X-factor (really nice bottle called black tower try it out-anyone from black tower that has seen this please send a case for the advertising lol).

After photos boy did not follow health and safety procedure landing his elbow in the place where everyones imagination can guess! he is now on verbal warning and is aware he may be sacked as official physio lol

If people turn to the dark side then i've decided to just be nice and wish them all the best with their training with a image.

i hope the vote goes well for you and i too have been spreadin the gospel of Rox!

• Options

Bluudy' L can you afford to risk a verbal warning? Me thinks perhaps instant dismissal would have been a safer option!! Lure te misses away from the Eclipse DVDs and get her working on the physio routine, much safer!

The original thread on "the Vote" article is back working and some interesting discussions going on about yoga in a sauna.... bikram revolution!! come across and join in! Also i had a good rootle around yesterday and found a sub 4:30 thread under "virgin london marathon" and have just started chatting to peeps on there, have a look for the sub 5 thread there and pop in and say hi - i'm putting money on the fact that if you do all faith in human kindness will be restored instantly image