Talkback: ASICS Super Six 2011: The Vote

Comments

• Hello All,

Jane 362 here

Here's my story.  

I started to run last October when friends persuaded me to run the London Marathon. I had not run since school. Initially I said no as I was too unfit I actually thought I'd not make it, but eventually agreed to join their team. Once I'd agreed to this I reckoned that if I was going to do it, I was going to do it in under 4 hours.

I finished in 3.54.

I was now 3 stone lighter and quit a bit fitter.

I continued to run and immediately signed up for Loch Ness 6 months after. I ran this in 3.33.

I then treated myself to a place in New York in November where I ran 3.26.

I would say I'm now pretty hooked. I run 6 times a week. I do on average 40+ miles a week. I get up at 6am to do it in the rain or snow but its not a chore as it makes me feel great. I run with my dog Archie who does 7 min miles image

I already have confirmed places in 3 marathons in 2011 but I want to win a place in Paris for no other other reason apart from the coaching. I have plenty kit, I've seen the Eiffel Tower and i don't eat croissants. 

I know I can go faster but I need proper, expert coaching from people in the know and I will not waste that opportunity if i'm lucky enough to win. I am fully prepared to work (and work hard). 

Help to keep up with my 7 min miler dog image

Pitch over

Please vote Jane in the sub 3.15 category

Merci Bien x 

• Et volia, tres bein Jané326

Some manifiqué posting recently - getting into le spirit.

Danke schön. Bitte Stimmen Sie nach Knight Rider!

Ich habe sich für die Freiheit (I have been looking for freedom!)

• Well i still can't read the latter part of Page 3 but at least it is back image

Must dash as I'm handing out numbers at parkrun this morning.  Thankfully the temperature is in the positive numbers today.

• I just had croissant... and now off for a run and then let the Christmas shopping begin....
  •  Hey, its back! Thought i'd return with a few more facts about me and a pic from a recent mud run i did. Im the idiot on the left!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/407294/Gallery/mudrunner_2010.jpg

Favirote Quote -

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasm, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat” 

- Theodore Roosevelt

Proudest achievement in running - Running the last 10k of london in 41 mins to achieve may target time of sub 3:30

Favirote food - Pigs in blankets

Sporting hero - James cracknell

• No swallowing involved your be pleased to here! Just the 10 showers to get it all off!
  • Try applying baby oil beforehand next time

• /members/images/17438/Gallery/Sodbury_Slog_-_the_clean_version.jpg

This was me before the Sodbury Slog

• and after??  is it photo time?image

• /members/images/17438/Gallery/Sodbury_Slog_8_miles_in_1.jpg

8 miles in.  Somehow i had mud in my hair but kept my face clean image

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/219208/Gallery/IMG_2505.jpg

me 23 mile in at stratford this year.  such a low moment.  help me asics, i don't want to be in that situation again

• oh dear Tempo Tom .... with not much Tempo! image

kate - you have my vote image

• yeahhhhh not good.  even a pb of 4.14 wasn't enough to cheer me up after this horror show

• Poor Tempo Tom - I think anyone who has done a marathon in whatever time can empathise.

Was it an injury of "the wall"?

That pic is such a good reminder of the need to pace yourself, however fabulous and fleet-footed you feel at the start. 

4:14 still pretty awesome.You'll smash it up next time am sure. 

• thanks kryptonite image

it wasn't a specific injury, i was cramping up and sadly just crumbled.  i can think of a few things why it might have happened.  a lot of it was in my head but yeah i certainly overachieved in the first half, then the sun came out and it was all no, no, no!

• I am similarly not good in the sun. My first marathon was Edinburgh in 2009 - I grew up there so was relying on it being cloudy, windy and a nice temperature for running... but no! It was about 25 degrees, flat calm and not a cloud in the sky! I really struggled and came in at 4:16...

But then knocked over half an hour off for the next one, which was a bit cooler but still sunny, so there is hope!

Still, if I win my 3:30 category, I'll have to lose at least another 15mins - eek! How exciting!!! image

Also tho, I took up Bikram yoga to try to get better to exercising in the "heat" and I think it's really helped. 

• Oooo Kryptonite Bikram yoga that's an ingenious idea for getting used to the heat! i've recently started a bit of yoga on the Wii (don't laugh!!) and this seems to have really helped my flexibility and recovery times, i start a proper class in a couple of weeks in the hope that this will help convert me into uber flexible elastigirl!! But bikram would help with the heat tolerance wouldn't it...... oooo i'm going to quiz my bosses on this one tomorrow - both are yoga guru's!

Am hoping i have a chance of emulating your first mara time in my first, i'd be very happy with that!!

Tempo tom - that picture is the epitome of all my worst nightmares about my first marathon yet to come!! Your next one will be a massive improvement i'm sure cause as you say you can think of lots of different things it could have been so you can work on them all and fingers cross you might have asics helping you in the right direction too!!

Running Rox Sub 4:15

• Tempo Tom - great photo!  You were running much better than that in B'ham.  I guess you just have to put that one down to experience and nail it next time - in Paris, maybe!
  • we've had similar experiences kyptonite.  knocking off 30 minutes is impressive - something that i will be looking to achieve myself.

i do wonder what the average time lost is for a runner in a +20degrees marathon, against realistic target times.  i've two marathons to my name now, stratford which was +20degrees and london in 2007 which i understand holds the record for the hottest ever...  26degrees i think.  darn unlucky!!  did you have showers on the route in edinburgh?

bikram yoga! i'm going to google this.  i reckon i've seen this on tv, is it yoga in a baking hot room?  sweaty yoga!  running rox - let me know what you find out!  and don't worry, the picture is taken out of context really - like i said many many things led to me getting to that point - your first will be much different (and in a positive way) i'm sure.

• Blimey, yoga in a room at 41 degrees with 40% humidity, surely this would be held in the sauna in most sports centres? I too did the VLM in 2007 and saw numerous people drop with heat exhaustion.

Out of interest has anyone trained occasionally using a running baby buggy? I ask as it will add resistance however I am concerned it may worsen my running posture, any thoughts?

• Seems like a lot of people have had similar experiences on their first marathon. Nice photo Tom - helplessness written all over. Similar experience when I completed my first marathon in 2008 - Hastings 100year marathon - only my 'helplessness' occurred round 19 miles.
    Oh the joy!
  • I like Bikram in the winter but not been since i spectacularly fainted i the FRONT ROW last year
    So embarrasing
    i cant do the heat image
    BUT on saying that it gives you some AMAZING mental strength
    thats the real benefit i reckon
    you need a bit of focus to keep it together and not fidget when beads of sweat are dripping off your nose
    quite useful at mile 22 i reckon when using mind over matter to keep going to the end

Vote Jane sub 3.15 image

good luck everyone by the way !!!!!!!! i hate all this voting malarky - isn't it a right pain. i wish we could all do it or that the 40 became 6 instead of 18 ....
  • Hi guys! Just back from the nippy Bedford half and would you believe it am heading to my first bikram yoga class first thing tomorrow morning - I reckon stretching in 40 degree heat is bound to get some knots out. I'll let you know how it goes.

And I think I might have a similarly mortifying photo to post later this week once today's photos are available - why did I think that leaping in the air with my mouth open at the event photographer would be a good idea?

Alex