Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• ST if you want to just complete an IM (Which should be your only goal for any first timer) what Slim says holds true if you have very minimal Outdoor swimming experience it is a MUST that you get some of this in before your IM some people had huge problems with this last year as Slim mentions, Open water swimming is a whole different kettle of fish to a nice warm pool all my long swims are open water ones the most I can stand in a pool is 80 lenghts once you get your open water confidence a pool swim is just DULL in comparrisonimage

One major selling point for Outlaw that nobody has mentioned is the pirate feedstationimage

Slim regarding swimming you modestly forget to mention your 1:29 was acheived in spite of the great cracked rib crisis of 2010 imageimage Respect!

• Nearly 9 mile done this morning, had little icicles in my beard when I got in image
  • Well done, madlot.

Sorry about the additional 'a', but it did make you sound like an Arthurian knight.

I'm just keeping things ticking over this week, before I start my 30 week programme next monday. Did a 20 mile mtb on the ridgeway Sunday and left loads of Tiago shaped holes in the snow drifts.

• In that case, put it back!!!
  • Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

Sorry about the additional 'a', but it did make you sound like an Arthurian knight.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haimage
  • Wot u tryin to say!!!
  • ridgebackmax wrote (see)

One major selling point for Outlaw that nobody has mentioned is the pirate feedstationimage

Thats not a bad point - with the number of pirates heading towards Wales in September there must be enough Pirate related supporters to establish a pirate feedstation somewhere in or around Temby?

• pah - the Hooters station at Outlaw was a big big let down....the large norked ladies were only there for a short time and I can only remember seeing them on one lap and by that stage I had lost the will to live let along get excited by them......I was far more interested in following some nice arses to keep the pain at bay.... image
  • I know IMs are tough, but I didn't realise they can compromise your large-nork admiring abilities. Now I'm taking this thing seriously.
  • Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)
    I know IMs are tough, but I didn't realise they can compromise your large-nork admiring abilities. Now I'm taking this thing seriously.

Yep

I was looking forward to the Hooters girls all day,  they could have been a right bunch of old hoofers as far as I was concerned as I was concentrating so hard on cracking a PB i cant even remember themimage

Remember the pirate support crews though imageimageimage  

• well training has sort of gone out of the window this week as I have discovered a new endurance sport called commuting by train image It has been pretty grim to say the least and takes up most of the non working waking day image I was considering using my MTB but I only use the back roads on my commute route and a few spills in ice under the snow has put paid to that idea no way would i risk the dual carrigeway, gonna try to get out for 40 minutes run in the local park at lunchtime fingers crossed. Life will be a lot easier on friday finished for xmas and I can actually get out in this up on the moors and enjoy the winter trainingimage keep safe peepsimage
  • Hi, My first IM will be wales, I have booked 4 Tris and other events between now and then.

I am 17 stone 5.10" run lengths at the moment are 3-5 miles No bike and No swim.

Aim: Lose weight Train hard finish the Ironman.

• Hi Mark
    crack in the training eat sensibly (ish) and you will certainly lose weight
  • newbie alert. I am looking at doing my first Ironman next year...Wales is the one I am leaning towards but not booked yet. This is serious stuff though as you guys are mentioning cycling A Roads in the snow and swimming in the Sea over Christmas.

I haven't cycled or swam for many many years. I am coming into this from having started running last year (2009) and getting into marathons. I did NY Nov09 and Rutland Nov10.

I'll jump back in to the thread when I book an event. Apologies in advance for daft questions and training tales of woe.
  • As they say, the only daft question is the one you dont ask

Most people on here have a good old bite but they will lick it better afterwards  image
  • At first, Oh fuck this I can't be bothered, but you "Just do it", You chuck yourself unwillingly into the pool and start swimming your ass off because it's so fucking cold. When you're finished you're fired up as it's really just a warm up, the cycle is a hard slog, by the time you've finished that, you just think, oh fuck this I can't be bothered to do the run, and start inventing excuses like, oh I think I'm coming over with the flu from overtraining, or my knees are knackered I better take it easy, but then you just say to yourself, oh fuck it, just do it, get your lazy pathetic ass on that treadmill and if your knees are so knackered just walk it, by the time you get on the treadmill you'll get so bored of walking you'll start running so you can get home quicker, then tah dah! you've finished! you did it! achievement! pat on the back
  • errrr right ...  thanks for that     image
  • The idea of an Ironman terrifies me and appeals to me in nearly equal measure. I have my first sprint tri in June, and will see if I get a taste for more. Most people seem concerned about the swimming, which doesn't bother me so much because I used to swim competitively as a teenager (but never in a wetsuit).

I would be more worried about the run (I am regular, but truly crap runner and have ever done fell/cliff half maras) and the fact I would be signing up to approx 16 hours gruelling activity with no rest. Which might be the end of me...that's the bit that worries me,,,

Still, I'm 26 and my mum has recently started making comments about a lack of grand children, so I feel this could offer a viable alternative,,,

"Yea, your mate Theresa's daughter has just got married and had babies.....but is she an IRONMAN? Yah, I didn't think so..."

• cara kong 3 wrote (see)
    At first, Oh fuck this I can't be bothered, but you "Just do it", You chuck yourself unwillingly into the pool and start swimming your ass off because it's so fucking cold. When you're finished you're fired up as it's really just a warm up, the cycle is a hard slog, by the time you've finished that, you just think, oh fuck this I can't be bothered to do the run, and start inventing excuses like, oh I think I'm coming over with the flu from overtraining, or my knees are knackered I better take it easy, but then you just say to yourself, oh fuck it, just do it, get your lazy pathetic ass on that treadmill and if your knees are so knackered just walk it, by the time you get on the treadmill you'll get so bored of walking you'll start running so you can get home quicker, then tah dah! you've finished! you did it! achievement! pat on the back

yep totally whatever I agree... I thinkimage

while we are here one for the ladies ....whats the difference between  Ironman and Ironwoman?

Ironman is a finely tuned endurance athelete , Iron Woman is an instruction ... boom boom I will get my coatimage

Tri-ing and Suka have a look back at the old Imtraining thread 2010

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=152089&V=6&SP=

there were lots of first timers there if you have a couple of hoursimage it makes good reading, they all were voicing doubts like you at first and as time goes on and the training kicks in you can see the confidence increasing with most of them raring to go race day

• Morning, runnings going really well, unfortunately nothing else is.
    I'll start soon! (I keep tellin meself)
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Morning, not even running's happening for me at the moment.
    Next Monday is Finkstart for the Outlaw, however......

Suka, I think you have just the right idea.

Max - Hmmm. Actually, you've just reminded me that I have to get on with the vast pile of ironing in the spare room as the in-laws arrive tomorrow. Joy.

Later I will put my new turbo tyre (Christmas pressie to myself)on my road bike, on the basis I won't be going outside on it for quite a while, & hope that's an incentive for a bit of a session.
  • How important is a turbo tyre?, with my new turbo staring at me from its position under the christmas tree, Do i need to get one,image
  • Flat Footed in a Pear Tree wrote (see)
    How important is a turbo tyre?, with my new turbo staring at me from its position under the christmas tree, Do i need to get one,image
    I have never used one but my turbo roller had a platic coating and doesnt chew up tyres I had an old turbo with a ridged aluminium roller that used to eat tyres unfortunately I didnt know you could buy turbo tyres at the time image
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I just started feeling nervous about my road tyre when I noticed that it had a smooth strip round the middle after only a few minutes turboing. I think I'll need all the grip I can get when it's finally OK to get out and on the roads again.
  • I've recently converted to a turbo specific tyre, being somewhat sceptical beforehand. Made the change because my turbo, with a metal roller, destroyed a nearly new road tyre in less than an hour. Rubber was coming off in sheets. The turbo tyre just seems to be designed for it, doesn't get warm, and no signs of wear yet. They are a bugger to get on the rim though. I've also had to make the decision that my road bike will be permanently attached to the turbo over the winter, as swapping tyres to get out on the road will be a bit of a ball ache, and no funds for spare wheels etc. Any outdoor cycling will be done on a hybrid or MTB.

I hate my turbo by the way, satans invention
  • My road bike is also stuck on the turbo for the foreseeable future and the fixie is sulking in the shed last day at work today so from tommorow the MTB will be getting a good caningimage
  • I love my turbo!! image  I only do 60-90 mins on it and I'm stuck in a freezing garage but I kind of get into a nice steady rythm and listen to my IPOD.

Just keeping everything very steady at the moment but plan a 10-12 LSR tomorrow so that i can feast and drink for the next 24hrs  image

• Have brought my turbo inside as outside has just been too cold recently. Though I find more reasons for mini breaks when I am inside. Music definitely helps with boredom. I find  I am OK with news type TV but any sort of action and I pause my cycling involuntarily!

I found out yesterday that if you are doing a Zone 2 HR session on the turbo, you have to cycle a lot less to maintain HR if you are watching Rihanna videos compared to other TV!

I had a tryre shredded by my turbo, which was odd as it was just the once. New tyre is a road tyre but so far so good. 

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I'd love to try using HR to train on the turbo, but must have a funny-shaped thorax as I can never get a decent reading.

Slim, you are a training machine at the moment! I don't know how you can say "only" 60-90 minutes - I think I've only managed more than 30 mins twice...

Might try the turbo in front of the TV once the in-laws have left next week, though.