Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• That's awful Richard. What about pool running? Could you do that to hold fitness until the race. No point doing permanent damage to yourself but if you can maintain fitness though other means like cross training and pool running, it might be enough to get you round if that was your aim.

• Oh no Richard, don't need to make the decision yet though?????? Could take it easy for another week or so with light swimming and biking.

Bloody pain, bloody pain.

The highs and lows of this journey on one page - very well done Shaun on the breakthrough session.
  • That is really harsh Richard image It's a pity that Henley is so late as if there was another maybe 4 weeks later you could try and enter that instead! As others have said I wouldnt give up just yet, you might be perfectly fine to run in 6 weeks for long distances with no problems what soever... so if you can keep your fitness up using other methods you might just be fine to get around!
  • Thanks guys. Yea - very annoying! I won't make any decisions either way and wont withdraw my place officially (as I bet there is a no returns policy at the moment anyway) but I figure I could:

1) Do Swim and bike and pull out at T2 (I bet I'd get carried away and give it a go!)

2) Ask whether I can enter the Half distance instead

3)  Drop out, take the time to get sorted and blast a new PB at 10k, Half Mara and century ride later in the year to finish on a high point

It's the same knee I've torn my ACL and the usual associated tendons and cartiledge on twice before and this is the third cartiledge tear in that knee over the years so doing permanent damage is something I'd rather avoid. I'm only 26!

I know I'm never going to be talented enough to win or challenge for endurance events but the important things for me is that I turn up fit enough to:   a) give it my best shot b) be fit enough to actually enjoy the challenge and not find it a gruelling/unenjoyable event c) be fit enough so that my family and friends are confident in me d) be fit enough so that I'm not wrecked afterwards e) be fit enough to appreciate the atmosphere and all that goes on around me
      Not being able to train really affects those 5 things.  As my gf said, I can probably get round but I'd imagine I'd suffer with lack of preperation but what then? Would it put me off Long Distance tri or marathons? Cause an injury that means 2012 could be written off? Seems like I'd be better served selecting one of the options above and picking an early Ironman like Outlaw next year fit and healthy with the background of middle distances, learning to ride a road bike and a year of training behind me as a base.... 
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Really bad news Richard  image  Only you know what is the right decision for you and it seems as if you have already probably made the sensible decision and let the injury heal properly before ripping it up next year!   However I'm sure you have passed the point of getting a refund...it might be worth contacting Just Racing and explain the situation.  Alan Rose the founder seems a very approachable guy...you never know he might let you defer to next year?  or at least be able to transfer your place  ...give it a go!
  • PinguPongu wrote (see)

Kiln Park is right by the start if you don't mind camping.

Thanks Pingu .. looks like a very good option .. £50 for the weekend image
  • For those still on the Ironman journey, I have a few nutrition answers!!

During outlaw I worked off the basis of 1g of carbohydrate per kg of body weight per hour. In my case 72g/Hr. This is individual to you guys, obviously. I really found the clif products to be brilliant! Someone on here recommended them and the proof is in the pudding!! The shot bloks are an excellent concept. I used one every 20minutes with electrolyte drink (~500mL/Hr) inbetween on the bike. Shot bloks are small cubes of jelly with the same "nutritional content" as gels however, not as messy!

I then took some solids too, as a pick me up. I factored in half a clif bar per hour. Mixing solids and carbohydrate drinks can give you stomach problems on the run so avoid at all cost or take water with solids if you need the lubrication! In fact, if you can cycle 112miles <6hour try and remain on liquid/semi-liquid forms of nutrition. 

In addition, for the first 30 miles on the bike, look at a bottle filled with a "zero cal" electrolyte drink. This reduces the stress on the bodies' degestive system. Also wait at least 1km after T1 before taking on nutrition, this reduces the potential feeling of nausea.

For the run, during the first 20 minutes (at a very slow pace), take on at least 200 cals worth of gels. Again, careful not to mix electrolyte and gels. I found holding gels in both hands worked a treat, replacing at aid stations. Take fuild onboard at every station, regardless.I worked on a gel every 20minutes. If this happened to coinside with an aid station, I took water only with the gel.

Finally the swim. One gel 20 minutes before the start is good. The sugar will help calm the adrenaline rush you will get at the mass start. Then breakfast I think is individual. But for the record, I like a cuppa, solid nutrition bars (3-4) and porriage made with water (yuk!) with a dilute electrolyte drink afterwards.

As a subnote. Coke is good, but do try in training first. Salted crisps (if available) can help reduce the potential for cramps. Caffeine gels are a strange one, I personally would avoid. 

Hope that helps some people. Please do try in training before a race and do feel free to comment or modify!!

Good luck.

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    image  Does this mean my Steak Pie's are out?   image
  • Quick question for the Pirates on the thread,, is there some rite of passage that i should follow to obtain the right to don the yellow lycra ? ( i guess thats just begging some colourful suggestions)  .... or is it literally just a case of being mental enough to enter an IM race in the fist place and an unexplainable desire to wear a skull and crossbones shirt while your doing it? .. Seems like my support crew for IMW are now all going to be no shows for various reasons .. so rather than spend my weekend in Wales as a total billy no mates I'm wondering if i can jump on board the PSOF and enjoy a morale boost from its enthusiastic supporters.

• Slagiatt I was just thinking exactly the same thing! I think the pirate support would be a great boost after hearing about the outlaw

I don't quite feel piratey enough yet, i suppose its because i dont have one of them little pirate logos next to my name image

• Just order some kit lads, and you're in! I think there is a thread on the go at the moment about kit, i'll try and find it. Failing that, or if you can't get anything ordered in time for your race, you'll probably be able to borrow a top from someone for a race. I've got two monacos (they're mens shape anyway!) and can only wear one at a time, so no problem to borrow one if need be. Though it might be too big for either of you, hahaha
  • Found it - kit thread is here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=155712&URN=12&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=1&sp=

Sorry, i can't do proper links on my mac! if that doesn't work, just search for Pirate LG Kit Order 2010. It is still the current thread as far as i'm aware.

I think originally you had to do an IM before you could call yourself a pirate, but now folk wear kit in the run up to, and during the IM, so just get some kit ordered and you're sorted image
  • Richard - Commiserations from someone who just had to pull out of Regensburg. In my case, my arm was what pulled me up so swimming and cycling were out. We could have done a relay image  I was wondering if pool running could work for you.

If you can't get any money back, as you've done all the training,  I'd go for the swim and the bike as it's good practice for next year. You've nothing to lose have you as they'll be the sports you'll be doing for the rest of the year anyhow by the sounds of things?

A 'fairly' wise forumite has said to me a few times, 'there's plenty more race but only of you.' She's right... unfortunately!

• Shaun/Slagiiat, pm Alice at RW to get the pirate badge image
  • Shaun/Slagiatt:
    I put myself down as a Pirate for my first IM (Outlaw) as I knew from reading last years training thread that the support would be invaluable. I can't begin to explain how invaluable it was. It also meant I avoided having to put "unattached" (unhinged, according to my friends) for my club on the entry form, as I always think that makes you sound a bit Billy No Mates.
    Practice your "Aaaarhhs!", as you'll be using them a lot...
  • Shaun/Slagiatt I have a pirate cycle jersey in a Medium to borrow for IMW as I will be wearing my monaco first come first served
  • Shaun / Slagiatt

a bit of background

l have a spare medium and spare large monaco you can borrow if needed

You mostly need a silly forum name, shaun, and a sense of humor!

• Just read the background and those race reports; hilarious!!!
  • Slagiatt wrote (see)

Quick question for the Pirates on the thread,, is there some rite of passage that i should follow to obtain the right to don the yellow lycra ?

Thanks for all the response Pirates...

IM entry .. check

Silly Forum name.. ok could do better but it was the best i could come up with on the spur of the moment

Sense of humour ... yep.. in the guise of sarcasm.. the lowest from of wit ( but often the funniest )

Pirate badge requested ( Thanks PP )

Will add my name to the kit list ( thanks LTP )

If i can borrow a top for Wales that would be ruddy marvelous .. thanks for the offers people, however  as a recovering fatty ( its been 12 weeks 4 days since my last mars bar )  i fear i may still be a challenge to the elastic limit to anything without an X in front of the L image   ..    ( about a 43"-44" chest ?? )

One more thing ... what exactly is a Monaco ?

• Slagiatt wrote (see)
    Slagiatt wrote (see)

Quick question for the Pirates on the thread,, is there some rite of passage that i should follow to obtain the right to don the yellow lycra ?

One more thing ... what exactly is a Monaco ?

Its very similar to a Mankini only its in black n yellow, I am sure Max would have washed his prior to lending it out again
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

Its very similar to a Mankini only its in black n yellow, I am sure Max would have washed his prior to lending it out again

Hmm i dont think that quite a look i'll be able to pull off ... although perhaps if i grow a moustache ??

• ... that all depends where    image
  • Richard, I feel your pain, if its any help....

I got knocked off my bike 8 weeks out from Regensberg, i broke my hand, sprained my wrist and ankle. But i have been quite determined to see if i can still make it

I have continued to turbo, keeping up the training hours as I went along, but starting quite gently and building up to some biggish weeks as my body got better. Then got into the pool at 5 weeks, just starting with 10 mins and then building up as the broken hand has gained strength - did 2.4 miles on three swims, a lot slower than i would have liked but still within the cut off. I finally have started running last week after really resting the ankle and have a huge 9 miles in the bank, another 4 to add in today and the big 6 on Saturday. The race is a week on Sunday.

I have had to accept that any chance of a time that I might have planned for is now not on, so instead looking at ways of making the run as achievable as possible, so slowing down to 12 min miles so that I can run for as long as possible before it starts hurting and I have to walk.

For a while I was only going to do the swim and bike, but over time I have got to a position where I am reasonably confident i will make it round mostly walking probably so certainly not how I wanted it to be, but still achieving the goal and most importantly raising two fingers to the oaf who ran me down in the first place!

I have compared my training times with my OH who has keep up with our plan Whilst i have been mending I am not so far adrift over the year certainly on the cycling which is the most important anyway. I just have to have the faith that its all there in the legs.

So i guess its also a question of how much you want to do it, whether you can do it without inflicting more damage upon yourself, and how much you want to achieve the other goals you listed.

Right I'm off for a run, lets hope it holds together after all that otherwise i will look very foolish........

• Cheers guys and girls.

Email Alice for my logo - Done

Get a better name - hmmm, any suggestions? I can't think of anything exciting...image

Sense of humour - as you can guess from trying to create a new name, got a long way to go. I can however take what ever is thrown at me with minimal upset image

a monaco - is this a tri singlet? I would very much like to get one, but cant imagine I'll get one in time if waiting for others to make the order numbers... might have to take you up on the offer OC

• I feel I am now race ready (not in terms of distance, that I am cacking myself about)...

Last night I practised that unspoken skill of long distance racing that is peeing on the bike, then had a moment's self reflection, as I realised I had to ride for another two and a half  hours in my own pish soaked shoes and a funny tasting water bottle...

Is it really worth it? Not sure I would fancy it again... not when the lost 10 minutes that I might spend in a race doing my *ahem* business would bother me as much as being soaked in my own wee for a further few hours.

Perhaps I wont need the yellow pirate kit afterall?image

• Shaun Mills wrote (see)

I feel I am now race ready (not in terms of distance, that I am cacking myself about)...

Last night I practised that unspoken skill of long distance racing that is peeing on the bike, then had a moment's self reflection, as I realised I had to ride for another two and a half  hours in my own pish soaked shoes and a funny tasting water bottle...

Is it really worth it? Not sure I would fancy it again... not when the lost 10 minutes that I might spend in a race doing my *ahem* business would bother me as much as being soaked in my own wee for a further few hours.

Perhaps I wont need the yellow pirate kit afterall?image

Actually even if I don't do so in the IM - I might do it at the London triathlon on Sunday!!! image
  • im holding out till after i finish my ironman to get the pirate badge added - making it a kind of badge of honour

i think it might be useful motivator when im struggling up a hill somewhere in pembrokeshire! image

• I'd watch out Shaun - the Regensburg website states that anyone who pees on the bike will be disqualified! Others may have similar rules - I know at IMDE they said anyone who peed in the bushes around the swim start area would be DQ'd too,

• this is Wales though... I can't imagine anybody minding image

Cheers UI - That's pretty much made my mind up for me then, it would be pretty embarassing to go home and tell people you were DQ'd for that!