Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Hi Jenny..great to hear from you again   image   It all seems a long time ago since last year.    Well done on the 50 miler, do you have anything else planned?  keep in touch!

Woody has done really well and finished IMUK in 12.04hrs.  He was running faster than i can run a 10K!   Andy is still slogging it out on the course- keeping my fingers crossed.

• Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi Slim and Max

Just seen the livetracker again and it looks like Andy has finished! Yay!!! Woody did so so well- his splits for the run and bike were very well paced and evenly spread. ( I'm in touch with Colin on facebook now so can keep tabs on him! I also met up with him at the Gloucester Marathon in January)

Yep- I'm doing my second 50 miler in February- the Thames Trot 50- from Oxford to Henley. Also doing the Brentwood marathon before hand in October. There are a few things ultra based that I'd like to aim for. Eg a 24 hour event or a multi-stage event but am going to consolidate my ultra-fitness ( if you can call it that!) at the 50 mile mark first!  If any of you are on facebook give me a shout- I have loads of running/ crazy loon contacts on there now!

Hope all goes well in your events!  

• Options
    Well done Woody!!! What a cracking time image
  • Options
    Jenny are you still keeping up the swimming?.................................just in caseimage
  • Options
    Max...is she calling us crazy loons!?   image
  • Options
    Jenny, I have just done my first iron-distnace and am also considering the Thames Trot in Feb, as I live near Oxford. Any tips on doing a first 50 miler?
  • Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Slim- if the cap fits an' all that!  ...image

Tiago- my strategy for my first 50 miler was to adhere faithfully to the builidng up of the long long runs each week. In all weathers! image. Most schedules advocate back to back long runs- eg a 10 mile on Sat and 26 on Sunday etc but for my first one I chose to do a cycle session on the Saturday and then built up to 30-35 mile long runs on the Sunday. This was just a personal choice because I wanted to build up confidence in doing these very long runs. Also I wanted to see how my body would cope under various conditions and how it would cope with the gels over a lengthy period of time. It was blooming hard work! I also did my usual mix of 5 mile runs to and from work during the week plus one mid-week longer run.  Most of the time my pace was pretty low key apart from a tempo run mid-week. However, interestingly, since the 50 miler a fortnight ago I did my first 5k Parkrun and got a pb of 22 mins 29!  I have never run that fast before so clearly the plodding didn't affect my speed!

For the Thames Trot I will probably carry on in the same way although I intend to include a little bit of speed work mid-week just to keep my legs ticking over. I will also continue to use the gym bike regularly for good ol interval sessions.

Max- no swimming alas for sometime. I've wrecked my shoulder to tell the truth. I've been getting a lot of pain in the back of my upper arm and have problems lifting my arm straight over my head etc. Osteopath says its not tracking properly and I'm supposed to be doing this exercises with a resistance band. Which I keep on not doing because it hurts!

• Options

Good answer, thanks, I was expecting 'run lots.'

Maybe see you there.

• Options

so.....

The training is all done, and I am now bored / ready to rock and roll.

This is my second year, and I started a little  later this time, so did not get bored by the end.  Had a bit of a kickup inApril, but life resumed after that.

• Ive done 3 swims of the full distance, (incluideding one OW) so that feels great compared to last year, where the most I had swam was 3.2k.
    • I've done several full distance rides, but did have a crap day at the Chiltern 100, so I need to respect / pace the bike.  I think I did 2 full distance rides last year so should be stronger.
    • running..... hmm, My knee is a little fragile, possibly from dragging the sandbag behind me, and I have just done one 2hr run in the last month - most running has just been 45 minute stuff.....   
      I did lots of running last year, and feel i've not done much this year.... hmmmm

Oh and I've drunk lotrs of beer, sports drink, eaten too many gells, maltloaf etc.  Im still enjoying the training lark, andnufortunatley no longer feel like a pretend triathlete.

I've not been on my MTB all year  ;-(

• Options
    "I've not been on my MTB all year ;-(

know the feeling mate - ours still have last winter's mud on them. with the nicer weather this week I might dig them out and do some rides home over the South Downs instead of riding the roads. some good hill work for Tenby.

good luck at IMReg
  • Options
    back to the bike bottles again...I am now planning on taking two bottles and swapping out during the ride.

I would like to start with bottles full from the start and with my own stuff (Torq) and then use the supplied stuff during the race. I just prefer Torq to Gatorade and it will keep it interesting, stomach has been fine in trial ride.
    1) Do they give you bottles beforehand that you slot into the cages? or do you take your own and give those away on the first swap of bottles?
    2) I presume you are allowed back to your bike on the morning of the race, after racking the day before, if so I presume therefore you load up the bike with gels and bike bottles on the morning.

• Options
    I rode my road bike to the new forest this weekend - then hired a mountain bike a spent the weekend thrashing around the forests around Brokenhurst - great fun and nice to ride just for the enjoyment of it rather than worry about intensity/ HR / nutrition image
  • Options
    CL - most people take any old bottle that they are happy to "lose" during the race and then end up with whatever the race supplies. it's like a new for old swap....image

and yes - you will be allowed access to your bike on the morning to faff....
  • Options

I chose the evening that will forever be etched in the minds of Wirralians as "The Great Piss" to get back on the bike and re-enter training after a week of parties and boring my friends. Gordon Bennett - it bucketed down, but in the middle of that downpour of biblical proportions, i was visited by "Chopper" the Goddess of numpty cyclists, who said to me

"slower! Rest not upon the paltry, brown-tinged laurels of your mediocre Outlaw performance. You have events to enter, improvements to make, nutrition to conquer, running legs to find"!!

And as the rain sluiced down, i could taste the sweat of my Outlaw being literally rinsed from my helmet, as the event was metaphorically rinsed from my thinking. So - onward and upward to the Vitruvian, and then who knows where! In the meantime, my helmet is the cleanest it's been for 30 weeks image

• Options

Well done to all IMUK'ers! Hope everyone had a great day.

Did the London triathlon at the weekend in 2:13 image I came 16th out of the 1400 or so male-open category folk who did the Tower Bridge route, and my swim wasnt actually that bad for a change. Now to do four times the work and keep the pace up!

• Options
    Wow, good work, impressive!  image
  • Options
    Shaun - that's a disgrace. I suggest that you eat more pies and do less training.
    Congrats, mate. That's a pretty awesome performance.
  • Options
    Whizzy Shaun cracking resultimage can see a fast IM time on the horizonimage
  • Options
    Well done Shaun, tremendous result! Though you're putting us to shame, so take a few weeks off image

I'm off to pack stuff for IMR......i'm bouncing off the walls with excitement and terror, all rolled into one!!!
  • Options
    Lee chillllllllaaaaaxxxx!image what will be, will be just have faith in yourself, stay positive and keep in mind every session you have put in to get where you are, know that you have probably never been as fit or prepared for as much as for this and  you will be fine image
  • Options

Hmmm, just come from the Regensburg thread, far too organised this crew for pirates.

I'm off to put in my last load of washing before even considering starting to pack!

• Options
    Oooh Lee, good luck and have a bloody good time, will be thinking about all you guys image
  • Options
    Wow Shaun , just saw your London tri result ..well done mate, awesome result .
  • Options

Well done Shaun - great time!

Lee and all off to Regensberg- have a great time and enjoy it!  image

• Options
    Thanks folks image heading off in an hour.

Thanks to everyone for all the wise words and encouragement over the last few months, it really means a lot, and will help on the day. Have a fab weekend, and I'll be back next week with the race report image.
  • Options
    Best of luck to Lee and others off to Regensberg, i look forward to reading all about it next week image. Go pirates ! image

• Options
    Will there be real time tracking like with Outlaw, anyone know where that will be? 
  • Options
    Oh, and I ran this morning, hurrah, first run in 5 weeks.  9 miles in 1.45 due to large amounts of walking, but there was definitely running going on! image
  • Options
    Having a bit of a hard week training wise . Took some much needed professional help with my swimming at the weekend , money very well spent in terms of showing where I am going wrong , but applying the corrections is killing my swim sessions , really struggling to get a rhythm going again .... Hopefully that will improve quickly. Gonna get in the water everyday now until it clicks I think. Running on Monday seems to have destroyed my ability to bend my legs in the middle, so am moving around a bit like a fat extra from a Gerry Anderson super marionation special. No bike miles so far this week either... And only a few weeks of training remain arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh.

Panic and realisation at the enormity of the task ahead sets in . Must conquer the mind demons .....