Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Did my last long run before IMW this morning, 20 miles. Glad to have knocked that one off.
  • Options
    good running CL image
  • Options
    Thanks Mr Z

LTP- I see you're back, I was online on Sunday willing it not to be the case as the doubts grew that you had missed a cut-off. Cruel sport. You are an inspiration in taking it your stride and still supporting the others round.
  • Options

I feel for you LtP - I know you will be back stronger and better than ever before. There are a few charity spaces left for Wales I think if you are tempted ? image

Good running CL. I really need to get some more long runs in, marathon training for May's race left me with little motivation for anything longer than 10 miles. I have done one half marathon since but that has been just about it, might try and get one or two 20 milers in during the next couple of weeks

• Options

^ ditto

apart from a couple of 13/14 and one 16 miler ive not done anything above 10miles since VLM - although ive still maintained above 30 miles run each week. looking at getting an 18 mile run this weekend and a cheeky 20 next weekend before the start of a 3 week run taper and then a 2 week bike taper

those in the know- does that sound like a good idea?

• Options

Hi guys,

Well not been running for 4 weeks to heal up the cartiledge tear but been doing 80% of my bike sessions (just reintroducing hills) and all my swims. I'm going to give Challenge Henley a crack whatever unless I re-tear over the next 3-4 weeks. Small runs coming back into it now - builiding up to 10 miles as my LSR. Not what I had planned but hey - I was never going to win anyway!

Been great and inspirational lurking over the last few weeks hearong aboutr successes and near misses along the way. 

• Options
    Good luck Slim (not that you will need it) unplanned rest day today for me bad migraine and feeling sickimage early night tonightimage
  • Options
    i did a whole 30 min easy spin on the bike!

recovery again tomorrow then its time to start doing some easy stuff....

5 weeks to IMW!
  • Options
    Nothing today for me as I was still feeling rough, headache has finally just gone got a 100 miler planned for the morning so its off to bed for me now to get some rest in
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Max - sorry you've been poorly. Sounds as though you've got some good training in recently, so maybe time for a rest anyway. I hope you're feeling chipper tomorrow and get a good ride in. Hilly?

OC - great performance at IMR! Will you be topping that in the hills of Pembrokeshire? Actually, it's nearer 4 weeks......

How did I miss Slim?! Having seen the videos of Embrunman, I think it's amazingly brave to attempt it, and I'm sure he'll do well. Massive Good Luck if you are still online, Slim. Will be thinking of you on Monday.

Mr Z your taper sounds spot on. I'm not going to have much to taper from as still not up to speed (literally) after Outlaw, so will probably be doing my longest stuff 2 weeks out from IMW (and then spending the rest of the time worrying that it was too much!)
  • Options
    Thanks Joddly, woke up pretty refreshed this morning and no headache image hilly? we are in Cornwall image the weather was cr@p this morning so we went for the hiiliest route we could find and when it wasnt hilly we time trialled till our legs fell off, only managed 80 miles before we ran out of time but although it was a very tough sesh I felt really strong and could have gone on for miles more so that was good, got a 2 hours coast path run and a mile or so sea swim out to the HMS SCHYLLA wreck reef planned in for tommorow
    Slim will eat up Embrunman my mate cracked it a couple of years back around 2 hours on his average IM time its a real tuffy but amazing scenery its on my to do list image
  • Options
    joddly wrote (see)
    OC - great performance at IMR! Will you be topping that in the hills of Pembrokeshire? Actually, it's nearer 4 weeks......
    oh bugger!
  • Options
    I need to get into some regular training...all a bit hit and miss.............will try and run in the morningimage
  • Options
    Just checking in quickly, hope Slim and the rest have a ball at Embruman - the scenery looks fantastic

Joddly .. will we see you at the pool on Monday?

Max, I hope you continue to improve although I think if that sea swim was on my to do list tomorrow then I may well take another recovery day  image
  • Options
    i fancy embrunman.....  but I am so fully booked next year......i need patience but I have none
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Only 80 miles, Max? Hardly worth getting the bike out.

Meldy, hi - looking forward to hearing all about IMR. Monday may be tricky. Are you about on Friday?

I don't fancy Embrunman.
  • Options
    Its a slight possibility ... depends what time we are departing for a girlie weekend!!

Will catch up soon anyway x
  • Options

Ouch, ouch, pathetic, blokey ouch!

10 mile trot yesterday. My "A" trainers were still soaking wet from a run in an Anglesey monsoon on Thursday, so I went with an old pair. An error not to be repeated soon. Hobbled home with three big blood blisters on my precious right tootsey. They looked uncannily like those honey stinger sweets - almost apetising! And in hobbling like such an old codger, I've given myself an old codger's stiff back. Text book. Not looking forward to squeezing it into my skinny bike shoes for a ride later, but squeeze it i shall!

So what's next, everybody? Any events still on your horizon this summer?

• Options

meant to be bike trainingh this week and next realised this week  i have swam 3 times.........(most ever)....rn 3 times and cycled nil..................image

will try and get out later or tomorrow

got a marathon at the end of the month

• Options
    Hilly off road run this morning for just under 2 hours, followed by a tough, tough swim off whitsand Bay out to the HMS Scylla wreck a fair old swell was running and there seemed to be currents sweeping all over the place you had to keep stopping work out where you were drifting and tack across what was a 2 mile swim ended up a lot longer but was a real morale booster for IM Wales as I cant see it being that minging unless its a really bad day at the office my new fitted Snugg wettie was lovely to swim in after striuggling for years with my old badly fitting mail order Ironman wetsuit all in all what started as looking dodgy has turned into a cracking weekends training image
  • Options

What a disasterous training week ... family holiday to Spain so cycling was off.. but figured on loads of sea swims and some good runs ..  Strong winds everyday meant that any attempt to get beyond knee deep attracted the shouts and whistles of the beach lifeguards and no swimming allowed .. arrrrggghhhh... they had a tiny fun pool at the appartment so was forced to make to with some laps of that image   got a couple of runs in but nothing to shout about and now to make it even worse i have to go on a 3 day work trip so again the training plan is screwed ... seems i have accidentally done my taper about 5 weeks too early .... better make it a big week next week i guess

On a brighter note i do at least now have a tan image  

• Options
    Some really cool, inspiring stuff going on, guys.... Clear Link, FB, Slim, Shaun, Witch, RBM (as always). You're all sounding like you're in Position A for your forthcoming jollies. Keep it going, folks. Great work!
  • Options

Sounds like a good effort on that swim RBM!

Is that a normal tan rather than a comedy one then slagiatt? image

Big weekend for me just there, 110M on the bike on Saturday, 1800M of climbing over three main climbs (two of which didn't really get to enjoy speedy descents from due to wet rims, hairpin corners and cattle grids approaching) - persistant rain and winds strong enough for there to be visible choppiness/waves on loch tay as I cycled alongside it. Fairly pleased in the end to average 13.7mph over said course/conditions, thought I was going to be even slower! Then 16M/2.5h run on Sunday basically gradual uphill for 8M then back down. Should have a good run in me at Henley even if my bike ends up incredibly slow!

• Options

Good biking sesh there WW, Loverly rest day today got in from work grabbed the dogs and went for a great couple of hours amble on Bodmin Moor in the rain really enjoyed it and it was nice to just wander and take all the views in rather than head down, lungs hanging outimage got tommorow off work for a funeralimage so gonna start the day off on a positive note with an early sesh on my new hardtail MTB and hopefully get another long sea swim in the evening

keep going everybody we are all nearly there!imageimage my mate has booked the caravan today couldnt get in at Kiln Park so we are around 10 miles out of Tenby at Caernarvon??? its all getting a bit realimage 

• Options
    RBM..............I hope you mean carmarthen not Caernarfon as the latter is up in North Wales near Angleseyimageimageimage
  • Options
    Good training all!

I have done a swim and a bike today, nice to do sessions knowing that the main event is behind me for a wee while   image
  • Options
    Seren thats the one! Carmarthenimageimage
  • Options
    which witch wrote (see)

Is that a normal tan rather than a comedy one then slagiatt? image

lol... yes vaguely normal WW... havent quite gone for the "something about mary" dark mahogany finish image ,
  • Options
    Started the day well with a trip out on my new hartail its lovely and all the better for being a bargain image the funeral went Ok but after a few pints at the wake there was no way I was going to make a swim so its a rest night tonight image
  • Options

hey all, getting close now!!!
    a pretty good weeks training last week.
    100mile bike round st ives, lands end, helston falmouth etc.
    18mile run,
    40mile bike 6 mile run,
    3500k swim
    1h strength and core session.