swimming MP3s

Seren mentioned she was getting an MP3 to use in the pool for xmas anybody got experience of these or can recommend one another 4 months of IM lane bashing loomsimage helpimage

Comments

• Swim with a group if you can - helps motivate you. Or break up long sets into 200-400 reps! I wouldn't advice using one!
  • RBM - Speedo make one that clips onto your googles, cost about £60 and holds about 700 songs, should be good enough for a few lengths image
  • Yyou should be thinking about your swimming stroke, not about trying to pass the time.
  • I have a Swim MP3 that is great for keeping me going...sounds improbable (sits outside the ear and conducts sound through the bone), but does work.  It's certainly more reliable that the predecessor waterproof MP3 I had...the earbuds constantly fell out unless my hat was pulled down to chin level image

As for being focussed on my swim technique...music doesn't stop that.  it just gives the bit of my brain that says "mumble mumble gosh look another floor tile,mumble still thesame black line ooh how much more" something to focus on image

• TR I have spent years looking at my stroke, I love open water swimming and can spend ages doing that but pool lenghts do my head in cant see it stopping my concentration just helping pass the time
  • I do complex mathematical calculations in my head to pass the time.
  • not very good with maths even loose count of my lap
  • M.ister W wrote (see)
    I do complex mathematical calculations in my head to pass the time.

So do I....

Was that ten lengths or twelve...was that fourteen...oh I added them last time so will stick with twelve.....was that 18, 24, 30 etc. etc. etc.image

I

• Yep... that's pretty much it.  I can't even manage to count properly when I'm leading the lane at tri club.
  • I can't find my lap counter so i am having trouble......

to remember I have to do them in 8's.............and I have to sing the song..

so this is number 1 and the fun has just begun.....roll me over, lay me down and do it again................etc.......singing the same verse until i reach the end when I can then change to the next verse

• I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't count image
  • seren nos wrote (see)

I can't find my lap counter so i am having trouble......

to remember I have to do them in 8's.............and I have to sing the song..so this is number 1 and the fun has just begun.....roll me over, lay me down and do it again................etc.......singing the same verse until i reach the end when I can then change to the next verse

no wonder you have trouble with your breathing and need a nose clip if you are singing as wellimageimage

• I quite like having nothing to think about when I swim ....  obviuosly I am concentrating very hard on my stroke et.c  image
  • I do like the quiet and chilling thing but after around 60 lenghts of  120 I am chilled sh!tlessimage
  • Wow I did not know these existed! I was a v serious swimmer between the ages of 10 and 16...like used to train about 8 times a week, before and after school, but just got SO bored of the isolation when exercising so for the past few years have paid much more attention to my bike than the pool. This might be just the device to get me back into it though!
  • I'd be worried about looking a bit of a numpty to be honest - then again I think they could help me get through the hours in the pool hopefully
  • I've got a speedo aquabeat image

Bought it last year, after christmas as I get bored quickly & I needed to slow down to work on stroke so put chilled out music on.  I'm now replacing it with more upbeat stuff.

It did break after 6 months, but replaced no problems, my have been a one off, who knows?

The sound quality isn't great (better when head in water), but acceptable for what it is. 
    If you push off the wall very hard or don't wear a hat then it may stuggle to stay in your ears.... that said I think I just have funny shaped ears as no headphones stay in when I run, but I've not had any problems with this - i do wear  hat.

The thing is quite simple to operate just has a button on top for volume & one on front for on/off ffwd/back.

Hope that helps....

• I've got a speedo aquabeat and have only ever used it twice...

It's OK but too much of a faff if I'm swimming before work.

Also pretty uncomfortable.

• Miner is held up in the snow...................but the pool is closed due to the snow anywayimage
  • Just cracked and ordered the 2GB NU Dolphin for £49 inc PP hopefully will make the prospect of 100 + lenghts in the pool a little more bearable next yearimage