How long do you give new shoes?

I saw an offer for some Mizuno Wave Rider's and decided I'd switch from my normal shoe (Nike Lunar Glides). Just been for a run in them and they felt terrible. Fit was fine but they ended up really hurting me - and this was after 2 miles. Is this common/normal, should you give new shoes longer to get used to or do you know straight away?

Comments

• had you tried them before buying?? I'd always buy from somewhere I can try shoes out first even if it's only a short run outside the shop, and agree a course of action if they don't work out.

talk to the shop and see what they say, but be prepared to be disappointed if they don't refund after use
  • No not tried them before. I think I dumbly assumed that the only differences lie between neutral and stability shoes and apart from mumbo jumbo all were essentially the same.

Lesson learned as I bought online. Just hope Pro Direct's 30 day return policy holds true. Gonna stick with my Nikes I think.
  • lesson learnt that neutral and stability are NOT the same!! next time go to a decent running shop for best advice.

once you know what suits then buying online isn't so bad but even then there can be differences between similar gaits but different brands so you're always best trying first.

good luck with the refund
  • I'm just wondering why you wanted to change brands anyway? I operate a "if its not broken, don't fix it policy" myself....image
  • I've taken shoes back that caused a blister after 7 km on the first outing. I've kept using a pair that almost give a blister on 30 km runs but not otherwise. So the threshold is somewhere in betweenimage
  • why change brands? Dunno fancied a change. I've only ever run in Nikes. Originally bought them for the ipod nano thing but I've moved on since those days. For some reason in my mind, now I'm more serious about running I thought i should go for a more running orientated brand. Also bought some Walsh trail shoes for off road runs and got on really well with them so thought that changing brands wouldn't be an issue so long as I stuck with a neutral shoe.
    However, lesson learned, sticking with what I know. Pro Direct very slow at responding to emails btw.

blister after 7km.
    It's amazing how quickly you can get a blister. yesterday out in these new Mizunos I reckon I'd have got one if I'd have stuck with my planned 5k.
  • Another thing I've learned. Don't buy from Pro Direct Running. Unless you like sending emails that never get answered and a permanently engaged phone line.
  • I tend to buy online and have never had a pair I could not use. I don't think that I could tell by jogging on the  pavement outside a running shop anyway and once they have done a few miles after takling  them home then I don't think most shops would change them.

Although not needed a new pair for 2 years through lack of training.

• Could get no reply from pro Direct Running (they were very efficient at taking my money) so sold them on Amazon - lost about £5 in the deal but there you go. As luck would have it a local store was doing a 2 for 1 offer on my regular shoes so I'm sticking with Nikes.