Options

Giveback: Your chance for a Spring Marathon

Giveback: Your chance for a Spring Marathon

The Other Six

"Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be."

Following the successful shortlisting and voting of the Super Six we are offering a valuable opportunity for 6 more people to be mentored through to marathon distance using our own forum experience and advice.  This project comes with the approval of RW and it is viewed as a positive step to backing up the Asics Super Six and encouraging mutual support within the two groups.

We have six mentors signed up and willing to help, all you need to do is pledge your interest on this thread.  

Requirements

You will be an active member of this forum

You will be actively involved (should you be selected) in your personal training thread and hopefully in others

You will be happy to work from a schedule and be able to discuss this with your mentor, there are RW ones available if required as a base

You will have a marathon entry or access to one in April 2011

You will have a good base fitness and ready to start training January 2011

You will have a sense of humour and a willingness to learn!

Application and Selection

State your interest on this thread and include:

1 Your hoped for finish time

2 The marathon you have entered

3 Your current pbs for ½ M and Marathon

4 In no more than 100 words why you should  be one of our chosen six

Selection will be done per finish time category, you will be shorlisted according to your pledge and then will be selected by an independent person.   No voting will take place!

Mentors and the selected six will be revealed on …. Wednesday 22nd December

Meldy, KK and Hash

Comments

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Isn't there any free stuff? I like free stuff! image

• Options
    Yes, you get time and advice from mentors who are willing to help  image
  • Options

You will have a marathon entry or access to one in April 2011

Or entry to four marathons in April?! image

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Pffff. Can't store that up and sell on ebay now can I?!

<Slams door and storms off in a strop>

• Options
    Kaz .. no one likes a show off  image
  • Options

Woot, we're offimage  

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    what exactly does 'fine' smell like?

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I think I can smell the sweet smell of success, combined with odours of optimism.

Good luck to all snubbers and mentors image

• Options

Hello

I'm inimage

1. My target finish time- if it was London I would say 3h50mn but because of the hills I was told I need to add at least 15min to my predicted time so I would say probably under 4h15min...

2. I have entered Madrid which is on the same day as London

3. This is my first marathon so no pb yet.  I've done 1 half marathon in September in 1h52min but have improved since then.  My 10k pb has gone down from 50min 20sec around the same time to 47min44seconds (a couple of weeks ago).

4.  I should be one of your chosen six cause I'm totally obsessed with runinng and will make you proudimage,  I also have a good base already (running over 30miles/ week with my LSR at 16miles) so will be more then ready to go in Jan.

• Options
    Excellent Mon, thank you for being the first!!
  • Options

Good morning.

With little thought at all I shall enter this fine competition - so long as I don't win as that would get me hung drawn and quatered on the losers thread and I already get shot at for having won another competition. I am a regular on these forums so am used to wasting time in pointless endeavours and doing things just for the sake of it. I am really good at listening to advice as there is plenty here, often contradictory. It's great to be totally confused, makes life all the more exciting. I am a perpetual fidget. image

My marathon would be the Sussex Marathon.
    http://www.sussexmarathon.co.uk/

My anticipated finish time would be 4hrs. It is a hilly marathon, I think the website mentioned 2,000' ascent.

PB:
    mara 3:33
    hm 1:37
    5k 21:11

These where from last year when I was feeling esp fit and frisky. Right now I feel like a slug bagged out on FB's finest. My currnt milage is 50 miles per week and my longest run will hopefully be 20 miles today.

I can confirm that I also smwll like boiled cabbage if this helps.

Thank you.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    hmmm, I'm not sure which is worse, boiled cabbage or kitty litter - I guess if it's clean litter it would be preferable!
  • Options

Hello

Just registering my interest image

Too bleeding busy at work at the moment I shall be putting my nomination credentials in later

• Options

I am just here to offer support and wave flags and things...

Unless you want to mentor me and get me in to a marathon in SA in April?!

OR OR OR

You can FLY me over to a marathon of your choice?!

• Options

I wanna be in!

*jumps around like Donkey from Shrek*

But I'm shy.....image

I have a place in the London fun run on April 17th. Anyone heard of it?

PB. 4.55 (M)
           2.06 (HM)

I don't care what time I get as long as I kick the ass of my PB because I know I can do better than that. I walked HALF of Dublin and still got 4.59....image

Why should you pick me? Why the hell not? image And I'll do it in black and yella. And I'll give Barlos a smackeroo. And I need to train properly for this one and not arse about.image

Oh - and I'm not a 3 forum posts kid.image

• Options

Is that a smoocheroo or a smackeroo?!

Why would you give him a smackeroo?!

• Options

*polite cough*

I wouldn't mind being part of this - image (maybe I'm too slow...)

1 Your hoped for finish time - I'd like to get under 5 hours

2 The marathon you have entered - I have a guaranteed charity place for VLM

3 Your current pbs for ½ M and Marathon -image - 1/2 mara 2:35 and mara5.13

4 In no more than 100 words why you should  be one of our chosen six - I would love to have the guidance of a mentor - I run alone so the thought of the support of not only the mentor but the collective backing of the forum would be inspirational....my last marathon (I've done 4) was Belfast in 2009 - I banjaxed my hip half way but limped on to finish (trochantic bursitis which made it hard to walk for 6 months!!) followed by a broken toe and badly sprained ankle earlier this year means I'm only really getting back into running again.  (Well I did two slow half marathons this past Sept)

Theres probably more but I can't think of anything!!image

• Options

You did it! Just registering my interest in lurking and offering of advice. That's if the participant doesn't believe the other 3 trillion people's advice that will be offered image

Should be fun. Are we allowed to know who the mentors are or are you going all RW secretive?!

• Options

Ooh, fantastic, an opportunity to get my arse kicked. Sort of like my very own Riverside Fish Bar Super 6 but I don't have to do it myself. Are there proper mentors, or will it be Meldy? image

I'll be running Stratford and aiming for 3:29:59. My best is 3:47: shrapnel, also at Stratford. My 1/2M PB was 1:39:48, also at Stratford. Hey, it's a local race...

I'm currently an overweight and lazy former triathlete after my DVT/pulmonary embolism/near death experience post Transalpine Run; after all that, there's probably some base fitness, but little motivation, except for pies. I'm planning on running mostly off-road as I enjoy it more and it's kinder on my poor old body. I don't want free running tops as I have my Pirate gear. I promise not to die, unless dying would help. I look good and I'm funny...

...is a lyric from a Dave Lee Roth song; just thought I'd share.

• Options
    Cheers KK. That's as exciting as finding out the snubbed 6!
  • Options
    I'm guessing the three are KK, Hash and (not) Melds?
  • Options
    They don't ask you to go teetotal or anything mental like that do they? image
  • Options

Oh My!  How wonderful.   Why do I feel like I'm in a self-help group when I write about myself?

My name is Holly_G and I am an....

1 Your hoped for finish time

Sub 4:30

2 The marathon you have entered

None yet, but that can easily be changed cos I can run for sweet charity at VLM

3 Your current pbs for ½ M and Marathon

1/2 PB = 2:04
    Mara PB = 4:53 

4 In no more than 100 words why you should  be one of our chosen six

I started running 6 years ago, and I’ve achieved loads (7 marathons, 2 ironman) and enjoyed myself. This year I’ve been a frustrated, injury ridden layabout and had to cancel entries into races and received a rejection letter from VLM 2011, and failed in my entry to the ASICS 6. (cue violins) I know I can achieve better training and results, a quicker time and fewer injuries with guidance. I need strong mentoring to help me fit training around a busy job and commute.  I’m also a stubborn cow who likes to answer back but I can be lovely too.-----100 words dead.  I should get in just based on that.