IT Band

2»

Comments

• I have been hearing conflicting reports on how long a rest to have before running again.  9 months has been mentioned on some other web pages. 

I guess it takes longer to recover than others.  Thoughts please

Oh, thanks for all the replies. image

• Hi Cheshercat I was wondering how you got long with your IT Band issue? Mines started playing up and I've been looking into increasing my stretching and getting a roller.

How did you get along with yours? Did it solve the problem?

Also for anyone else. I bought new trainers at the end of August and they have been great, but in the last few weeks my IT band has been sore. I've had this issue before and I reverted back to my old trainers, which fixed the problem almost instantley. So I'm wondering if my new trainers are to blame.

Has anyone else experienced this? Obviously I'd like to keep using my new trainers so I'm wondering if I should keep going with my new trainers + roller + stretchs. Or switch back to my old ones for a while?

Any thoughts?

• I had a severe case of ITBS on my left side for 4 years which in some cases lasted for months without running (I'm a cyclist actually and ITBS only barred me from running not cycling). Stretching didn't help at all.The only thing I did was the running gait change and it was gone.

• I had a bad spell of this a few years back. I managed to get rid of it by hip strengthening exercises which I still do and a series of sprints. I just had 2 weeks off running and then did a series of sprints 3 times a week. It is important to walk between the sprints for as long as it takes to recover. I got the details on what to do on the net from a DR. Fredericsson , doctor to a U.S. track team. Those details are no longer on the net. But I have them and I can send you them by e-mail.

But if you are happy with the exercises you have done, then just go with the sprints. You can do them anywhere, on the way to the shops if you like. But you can't do them every day due to other muscle soreness. The other thing is to increase your quad strength, i didn't get any knee pain as I am a cyclist. But I didn't do any cycling at the time, because it definitely makes it worse. If I even cycled a small amount I couldn't run at all.
  • has anyone tried pilates as a teatment? i have ITBS but have recovered once from it 18monhs ago and am just getting over anothr  bout of it..my trainers are helping, (less supportive, more minimalistic)...and i agree with the above about changing gait..im slowly trying to change this to forefoot strike..and ive found the pressure on my knee definately less...im condsidering pilates as extra help as ive accepted that this is something that will probably just keep re-occuring for me and i have to find best ways to deal with it...image
  • I've just ordered a foam roller and plan to follow the routines on this utube link. The first exercise shown on the link is the one I currenlty do, so i guess it can't hurt to expand and do the others.

The thing that I find strange is that I changed my trainers in August, but I haven't had a problem untl now. Last time I had this issue it was a couple of months after changing my trainers. Does this sound 'normal'? Can it take a while after a change of running shoe to cause an IT band issue? Also, seeing the problem didn't start instantly should I carry on with my currentl pair of shoes and try and fix this issue with stretching?