Options

A thread for those on the bench for the long term..

13»

Comments

• Options
    Guess I was a Friday afternoon creation image
  • Options
    Assuming that it must have been Friday 13 image
  • Options
  • Options

Hi fellow bench warmers!

Well, I've had a visit to see a consultant today. I was referred for ME and he does not appear to be disagreeing with this. Had some more blood tests and a chest x-ray - got to go back tomorrow for an ECG (shame as the hospital is a 150 mile round trip..). These extra tests seem to be to rule things out and he seemed happy that the likely outcome would be all okay. But he has recommended taking anti depressants as they can help in these cases especially if you are not depressed? No timescale for recovery but I guess it won't be anytime soon as the anti depressants can take 2 to 3 months before having any effect. So I don't anticipate being off the bench for quite some time yet! (Which is a bit depressing - maybe the pills won't work now!)

Hope you all are doing well.

• Options

Peter,

Looks like i'll be joining you for a bit longer. I too was at the hospital today having my cast off my leg. Sat with the physio and was told it will probably be 5/6 months before i am 'back to normal'. Physio was hopeless, clearly used to helping people get up out of chairs than someone who wants to run again. When i said i was hoping for an autum marathon she laughed. 'Do you do a lot of sport?' she asks. 'Yes, i run often and play water polo'. 'Oh', says the physio, 'Do you want me to refer you for physio then?'....... What did she think?

I mentioned the muscle wastage and asked what i could do now to start bulding it back up and i shit you not, the response was, 'well, you just need to strengthen it dont you'. ..... honestly, i gave up in there... 

made me feel quite down really, i had been hoping i would be up and about sooner, I should have been going to Jersey for a regional water polo tournament in march.... that is out of the window now, as is my local 10k.....

• Options

Hi 'sham - that must have been exactly what you wanted to hear... I know it will cost you but is it worth taking a private appointment with a more sports orientated physio? Even just 1 or 2 appointments to get some proper advice? I hate it when I hear of these issues - the NHS is not free - we all pay for it and deserve proper help when we need it. Could you not do a bit of research and find a decent physio and get them to refer you on the NHS?

I do hope you get some answers quick.

• Options

Hey all, thought I would stick  my left typy oar in. Right scaphoid fracture on 10th Jan following snowboarding practice for my first ever ski holiday which i then couldnt go on. Been off for 4 weeks following the initial break, signed off for a further 6 weeks. Surgery tomorrow to insert a screw and hopefully on the road to recovery. Been lucky as i have sat on the turbo a couple of times (though just literally spinning as high HR leads to sweaty mess and smelly Cast!) and a few times of doing strengthening exercises on my legs and abs.

However my right arm is now looking rather puny and I am missing running/cycling/swimming (triathlete here) lots!

Due to go to Fuerteventura 5th March for my Tri club's winter training camp.... just hoping that they put me in a splint!

Moan over..... early night as 7am admission to hospital! Good luck to everyone here, speedy recoveries all round. Kerry

• Options
    I hope all has gone well for you today Kerry. I've always thought those snow boards look dodgy - I prefer skis. Get well soon.
  • Options

Hey there, quick question. Anyone on here had a meniscal cyst appear after a a partial menisectomy?

Kakking myself as surgeon said he may have to take the rest of my meniscus out if it doesnt calm down itself. Yiiiiikes

• Options

Boing!

Well, I had a brief glimpse of life away from the bench then promptly got sat straight back down. Bar my mini break now had 5 years sitting comfortably. Stupidly still bought the odd pair of running shoes, just in case, but unlikely to be lacing them up with intent any time soon.

So how are any former bench warmers doing? New whingers more than welcome to pull up a pew and off load!