ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

Comments

• Hello? Hello? PT?image 

6m recovery run for me today- start of week 2 for VLM schedule (following the P&D 70-85m 18 week plan). Much slower than normal cos wading through snow- fun thoughimage

• I remember Pete from the Super Six bootcamp in Birmingham and he did well on the 5k time trial. Probably finished a good 200m in front of me by the end. His current PB certainly suggests he can do the sub 3 he aspires to. A worthy winner from the day in Birmingham.

Come on Pete the posters on here are just having a bit of friendly banter at the moment - nothing to be freaked out by, we are all nice peeps! 

Looking forward to reading your thread to see how you are getting on.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

http://www.barney-wol.net/video/testcardf/TCFscan_medium.jpg

(Showing my age now aren't I! image )

I remember this well - although I'm sure mine used to be in black and whiteimage
  • Good luck Peter. I will be following this thread and the sub 3 dream

;-)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)

6m recovery run for me today- start of week 2 for VLM schedule (following the P&D 70-85m 18 week plan). Much slower than normal cos wading through snow- fun thoughimage

That's a lot of miles Jason.  What kind of time are you targetting and have you done that many miles before?
  • Well this is confirming pretty much every cynical thought posted about the SS over the past few weeks...
  • Zapo wrote (see)
    Perhaps the other 2 should not rush off to soon! Mite have to draw straws!

Draw straws? What out, watch out, there's a Humphrey about...  (Freaky Unigate/Milk Marketing Board TV advert from when I was a young 'un... )

http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/images/humph2.gif

I'm sure Pete's out there doing the miles, or fighting his way through traffic... My 'pre-marathon / get through the Xmas period' schedule of turning over my legs as much as possible continued today, although I had to attack the old dread mill after work, as the streets of olde Bristole towne aren't safe to run on this evening (but then again, some parts are never safe to run on). I'm not sure if I could do that too often...

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

JBFAR - Hi Christina, you well?

• JBFAR very nice to see you again. Do you have a marathon you're targeting or are you keeping it quiet and doing it MM style and resurrecting your thread when you've done it? image
  • WB: keep up the training you mite win by default.
  • Rsalter- Good (ish) How are you? are you doing a marathon next year?

MM- How the devil are you? I am doing a marathon next year (I did say NEVER again, but hey, doesn't everyone) I would be happy with a PB though this time!
  • Down to an 85min HM at Birmingham this year and now targeting Wokingham HM in Feb next year. Are you going to tell us what marathon you're doing or are you keeping it low key?
  • MM is NEVER doing a marathon again, you won't catch him concentrating on shorter races this spring then launching into a sub3 attempt. No siree won't catch him doing that image
    JBFAR pop over to all new look sub315 thread, we're an ugly bunch without a sprinkling of Glamazons.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back here JBFAR. How has the past year been? Any tri's, biking or running? I didn't follow your thread too closely last yr, but were you able to benefit from some of the fitness you got from it later in the year?
  • 85 mins MM! Nice work- are you still getting coached??
    So is Windy right- will you be doing a spring marathon?
    I have a spring marathon in mind. Keir- unfortunately life got in the way a bit and haven't been able to race much.
    Planning on doing the boxing day 10k in poole to see where i'm at.

Peter: where do you live? I am sure I read that one of the sub 3 contenders was from dorset way.
  • JBFAR - no I'm not getting coached but am applying all the lessons learned from this years SSX into my running and have come on as a result. Peter did the Christchurch 10k the other weekend with a 36min time but he's not with any club yet. I'm hoping he joins the Bournemouth lot and benefits from training with them.
    Edit - JBFAR : your time at London may not have been what you wanted but it was good enough to qualify you for a Champs start this year wasn't it? image
  • Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    That's a lot of miles Jason.  What kind of time are you targetting and have you done that many miles before?
    Got one eye on sub 3, but happy with 3.05. Did 18 week programme for Snowdonia this year which peaked out at 120m (only to get hit with "pre-flu" on race morning- no energy for the race, out of breath climbing stairs in hotel, struggling after 8m...... and didn't know why until woke up the next morning full of it.... knocked me for 6 for week afterimage), so a few recovery weeks since and 70m feeling comfortable in comparison.
  • just a thought.maybe Peter is waiting for the mentor to contacting him first................would make sense that you need to know what you are expected to do before sharing it with the forum..........as its a mentored thing .........i think the onus is on them really to start the ball running with the advice on how to start
  • Congratulations Peter and good luck on your sub 3 attempt. I'll be reading and lurking with interest.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    Got one eye on sub 3, but happy with 3.05. Did 18 week programme for Snowdonia this year which peaked out at 120m (only to get hit with "pre-flu" on race morning- no energy for the race, out of breath climbing stairs in hotel, struggling after 8m...... and didn't know why until woke up the next morning full of it.... knocked me for 6 for week afterimage), so a few recovery weeks since and 70m feeling comfortable in comparison.
    Shame you didn't get chance to do the training justice at Snowdonia, Jason.  I would have thought following the P&D 70-85 schedule would almost guarantee you a sub 3:00.  It's certainly a lot more miles than the RW schedule.  I used the P&D 55-70 schedule to get a 2:59 at Abingdon and,if I had more time available, would have liked to have followed the 70-85 schedule for London.  I'll probably just end up following the 55-70 schedule but making some of the runs a little big longer.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Seren Nos - Peter is following theRW Garmin ready Sub 3 Marathon Schedule so shouldn't need a mentor in order to get started, nor to post a welcome or update on this thread.. Week 1 of the schedule looks like this:

WEEK ONE

Mon
    5M (miles) (approx 40 mins) easy
    Tue 4M (approx 30 mins) slow with a few gentle strides
    Wed 6M (approx 46 mins) slow
    Thu 5M (approx 34 mins) steady
    Fri 4M (approx 31 mins) easy or rest
    Sat 5M (approx 32 mins) brisk hilly cross-country run or race
    Sun 12M (87-93 mins) slow

Jason - 120 miles in a week image I've never managed half of that! Respect due,

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I thought there were new improved schedules and shouldn't they be Timex rather than Garmin schedulesimage
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

There are meant to be new schedules, but when I looked on the website I couldn't find them. Also Alice's link to them on the first post on this thread doesn't work. Prehaps that is why the mentor and mentee are not posting. Waiting for RW to sort out the training programs first. No worries, the Marathon is still months away. image

• Kier -  are you sure you have the right schedule?  You have linked the VLM Garmin Ready Schedule.  There is also a non-VLM Garmin Ready Schedule that looks completely different (this is the one Curly posted earlier):

WEEK ONE (Dec 27-January 2): approx 35-39M

Mon 5M easy (miles) (approx 40 mins)
    Tue 5M marathon pace (approx 35 mins)
    Wed 6M steady (approx 45 mins)
    Thu 4M with middle 2M at 10K pace (approx 28mins in total - 12 minutes fast)
    Fri 4M easy (approx 32 mins) or rest
    Sat 5M inc hill session or circuit
    Sun 10M easy (approx 80 mins) 

Non-VLM Garmin Schedule

Seems bizarre to me to have two completely different schedules depending on whether it's London or not.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Good point Moraghan. In fact, I suspect neither schedule is correct. The actual one is probably in French and uses kms instead of miles!
  • Congratulations and good luck Peter.

I'll be following the thread as I too have the sub-3 goal having ran 3:04 at 2010 VLM.

Hurry along as we need the coaching insight!!!

• Moraghan wrote (see)

Seems bizarre to me to have two completely different schedules depending on whether it's London or not.

Which goes to show that there's little value in the detail of these 'one size fits all' schedules.  They all follow similar patterns and avoid obvious errors like having the hardest sessions on consecutive days, or doing the long runs too quickly and as long as they keep to those basics the details can be adjusted to suit.  You get people worrying about finding a half to do on a given date because the schedule says so but the local half is a week later.
  • Details definitely being adjusted to suit down at the lower end of the pack.  I've been forced onto the dreadmill by the weather and as the gym closes for Christmas after tomorrow today's rest day has been postponed image
  • Hah I never realised it was meant to be a non VLM one image

Some of those training paces make me wince! Surely 40 mins for 5 miles easy is way too fast alongside the number of quality sessions in there?