ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

1252627282931»

Comments

• Hi Pete, sounds like you are easing back into things. I know a lot of the guys on the sub 3.15 thread rave about Abingdon. A good PB course by all accounts. Might be worth contacting some of them to get their views - probably a cheaper option than New York unless you can wangle a free flight & accommodation!

I've entered the Chester marathon in October (the week before Abingdon I think?) which is supposed to be a good flat route as well. Was toying with doing London next year, but have entered Brighton again - unfinished business!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Brighton has definatey got a lot going for it KR although I'm still not keen on those first half "undulations".

Pete - I did Abingdon last year.  I would thoroughly recommend it - it's low key but very runner friendly and a fast course.  The weather has been good for the last couple of years and the stadium start/finish is brilliant.  The only negative is that the number of runners at the sharp end is small so that you might end up running large portions of the race on your own.  For my 2:59, I ended up running on my own from 7 miles.  Having had injury problems at London, I'm now beginning to regret not having entered Abingdon, so if you do decide on New York, I might be interested in the Abingdon place.

• SBD, from mile 11 it is pancake flat. I didn't think the first half was that bad, but then I just had my head down.
  •  Glad things are getting back to normal AG and seems like youv'e got a similar plan to me. Steve has put the plan together for me below for next few weeks and then has kindly offered to then progress it onto a more structured plan for the build up to the next marathon. Not entirely sure what it will involve but have explained to him i'm am willing to really throw myself into it, uping millage, doubling up etc as really want to push on an target 2:40-2:45 next time out. Whats your target for your 10k in july?

Thanks Kr I have decided to stick with Abingdon which i'm sure my bank balance will thank me for. As much as i'd love to do new york financially it would be a bit of a stretch and the competitor in me wants to run as fast as possible to which abingdon is defiantly the best bet. I dont think even im lucky enough to get another free big city weekend so maybe next year image. I like that your returning to brighton for 'unfinshed buisness', i'm sure you'll put the demons to rest by the sea next year.

Guess that means i wont be passing on the place to you SBD but worth taking clearlys advice and seeing if there's any knocking about on the other threads. Thanks for the advice, last year at the new forest was a bit like that but i'm sure there's always someone to chase or be chased by not to far away to spure you round.

Did my first real speed session of 10x 400 (which was 2 more than planned) i blame my sieve like memory! Did the first 2 reps in 90secs, then 2 x 85, 2 x 83-83, 3 x 80 and last one in 73 putting it all in. Really nice to be out on the track again and there was a few athletes and there coach out there to so i pretended he was encouraging me round when he was shouting, little things image.

* Easy 30-45 mins at around 7 min to 7:30 miles.

Sun April 17- Sat Apr 23  - 4-5 runs, maximum one run of 1 hour and one easy fartlek session

Sun Apr 24- Sat Apr 30 5 runs maximum 1 run of 80 mins,  1 session of 400s (8x400), 1 session of sustained 20 mins at  HM race pace

Sun May 1-Sat May 6 – 6 runs, 1 run of 90 mins, 1 session of 800s (6 x800), 3.5M race at Poole

Sun May 7-Sat May 13, 6 runs longest run of 60 mins, 1 session of 1000s, 1 hill session, 1 sustained 20 minute run at 10M race pace.

• Nice one Pete, thanks for posting your program. I've devised a two week program- as in two weeks that I'll alternate between until late july when I'll start upping the mileage for Abingdon. Each week has 3 different speed sessions and one longish easy run. Week 1 I've put 400m reps tuesd, 5-8M tempo thurs weds 12M 7.10-7.20pace and saturday 14-19M easy. Week 2 has 200m reps for sharpening, 2M reps thursday and long run with 4/5M mara pace at the end (with a steady run on wednesday). Will decide what my 10K target for elmbridge should be on the basis of the 3x2M sessions in june. Well done on ur track session the other day, sounds great.
  • Sounds like a good plan AG. With all those speed sessions im sure the 10k time will come down quickly and give you a good base for a quick time at abingdon.

Thursday i did the 5 mile tempo run with 3 miles at half marathon pace (6 min miles). Headed round with my bro who is a pretty good runner himself and nice to have the company and just win the battle of the thompsons! Even got my mum running now, the local running shop must think christmas has come early! Sunday was my longest run since paris covering 11 and a half miles in my 80 mins. Felt really good so aimed for 7 min mile pace and pretty much hit that which was good. Rested yesterday and 5 miles at 7:30 pace tonight so feeling fresh for the 800's session tommorow.

• My new trainers arrived today! Got some Asics Gel DS 16's, as Steve advised me that using a lighter shoe during faster sessions and to compete in may help to reduce my times. Took them to the track today to give them a test drive during for my 6 x 800m session. Did a mile warm up then started on the reps which went as follows:  2:50, 2:45, 2:47, 2:48, 2:40, 2:37 all with 400m recovery in-between. Not sure how much difference the shoes made but they felt really good and when the suns shining and your pretending to be an aging rodger black things cant be bad. Also took the heart rate monitor down for the first time. The first few splits were around the the 170 -173 mark and maxed out during the session at 180 in the last split. Dont entirely know what that means but by the caluclation in Pfitzinger and Daniels book of maximum heart rate being 207 - (0.7 x my age 26) = 189. Therefore working at about 90% MRH during the last split. Maybe this is a bit quick when still in a recovery period but i finished strong and wasnt dead to the world afterwards so i guess thats a good thing.
  • Hi Pete. Some good 800 splits there, what sort of pace were your 400m recoveries? Have you got any races lined up over the summer?
  • Don't worry about the theoretical calculations of HR.  You need to get to know your own and it can help tell you how your body is responding to training.  If you were to train by heart rate then Ideally you'd do some kind of maximal test, work out your zones for the different type of run and start targeting those.  You've done pretty well so far following how you're feeling so I don't know how much use it would be to be honest.  Interesting though if you're a stats freak like me image
  • Hey KR hope alls good. The 400 recoverys were around 9 min ile pace so 2:15 although that prob went up nearer the end! Im doing the poole 10k in early june and that probably the bristol half in september but not set in stone yet. What about you? Your prob right Clearly although i thought i should try out the H/R monitor atleast once as it was only gathering dust. I think i might leave the stats for you for the mo but ive been reading up and is all very intersting. You mite make a stato of me yet!! Hope your ok and things , any races coming up?
  • Hi Pete, sounds about right for the recovery pace. I've started back doing some track sessions this week and hope to get in 2 a week with some longers runs in between. Got a few Club league races to do this summer and want to try and have a go at my 5 mile PB before getting stuck into training for the Chester marathon. Got a Half marathon on Sunday, but not sure how I'll do in that as I've not really trained for it like other races. I've done it for the past 6 years and they do a good t-shirt, so that sold it to me!
  • How did your 3.5M Poole race go Pete? Which half were you doing KR? How did it go?
  • Hey AG sorry for the late reply. I didnt end up doing the 3.5 race in the end as was working at a weeding in north wales over the weekend all very random. Sadly ive hurt my knee abit so am out of action for a couple of weeks due to physio advice. Just started getting a sharp pain in m yleft knee which is never good but the physio only thinks that ive agrevated it a bit and some rest should do the trick. Ive got the all clear for cross training though so have started spinning and rowing in an attempt to fill the void. Not sure if i like spinning though as its all abit pantomine for me but it'l do for now. Hope alls good with your recovery training.
  • Sorry to hear about your knee, very frustrating. If  you are signed up to a gym try the crosstrainer- like a step machine where you also use the arms. I find that the closest thing to running with no impact and spent months on it last year when my knee went.
  • I love spinning, give it a go - but don't become too much of a convert or you'll end up with a name like mine!!!!

Cross trainer also excellent - I use it a lot as I tend to be a bit  bouncy when I run and it helps keep my stride at a better height and stride length.

Hope you get better soon!

GB.....

• Thanks for the tips image. I'll def mix it up and get some time on the cross trainer in there. Hopefully wont get to addicted though GB, the road will def always be my weapon of choice.
  • Hey! The knee is still not much better, i headed out on monday after a couple of weeks of cross training and it felt fine for the first few miles and then the pain kicks in again. Its not so painfull i couldnt keep going but its def not right and want to get it sorted before beggining another 16 week training programme. Does anyoe know any training programmes for cross trainers as im just a bit unfocused when i get on there as opposed to the strict focused running sessions im used to. I put it in but like marathon training im not sure if i should do a simlar scedule e.g intervals, hills, mid week long stints and longer weekend efforts. Any advice would be welcome an hope alls good in your running worlds.
  • Sorry to hear that Pete, I know that Zattu on the sub-3 thread did an incredible amount of work on the cross trainer about this time last year when he had a knee injury.  He seemed to translate his base training to the cross trainer in terms of duration and intensity. 
  • Cheers clearly i'll get working on a plan or might try and ask him for some tips. Hope alls well with you?
  • Wouldn't mind some sleep!  Just about ticking over at the moment but not doing anywhere near the volume of training that I'd like to be doing.