ASICS Super Six: Maria (Sub-3:15)

Comments

• Thanks MsE - the planks are the way to go, we were shown how to do them during our physio session at selection day. Also doing the one legged squats by the wall - good for leg strength and balance.

Hello Mummycat! I've been trying to do 25-30 miles per week but with the snow and ice had to partly move indoors and run on the treadmill. Boring but better than falling over and breaking something. Weather seems sort of better now so will try to run outside as much as possible. Good luck with your training! Are you going to follow the same garmin training schedule?

Thanks Lotte32 - great result at Adingdon - I am amazed how you managed to fit your training in with 6 kids in the family, well done!! I have signed up to do pilates once a week as well, plus need to lose about 6 kilos still - can feel them weighing me down when I run!!

Keir - yes apparently we do get a 'top of the range' Times GPS watch with the SS package, did not realise until today! A very pleasant surprise image

• Congratulations on making the Super Six, UpsyDaisy. Hope you have a really great experience. I'm sure you will learn lots of invaluable stuff on the way.
  • Thank you Gul Darr. I am sure I will learn a lot and promise to duly share it all with the forumites image 
  • UD- good to have the first day of training ticked off.

You have a great coach/mentor in Bud - what is the deal there? How will the relationship work and is there anything you are specifically hoping to learn from him?

• AC - Bud has not been in touch yet - we were told our coaches will contact us at the beginning of the week. Will keep you posted! I am hoping to learn everything!! Endurance and speedwork plus proper stretching techniques to avoid injuries to name a few...
  • UD - what races do you have lined up in the next 16 weeks and also, when did you achieve your 43min 10K PB and 90min HM PB?
  • Hi Matchstick Man, there are at least two local 10k races in January I plan to take part in as part of my training runs. Reg PB's - HM 2007 (I know it was a while ago!) and 10k Sep 2008 - I seem to do better in longer distances. I was off runnning from about Feb 2009 until Otober 2010 due to having a baby image
  • @ud - have you entered any hm? if memory serves the training plan calls for two at race pace.  in feb i think.  good that you have got your 4m out of the way already.

• dm1974 - not entered any yet - waiting for guidance from Bud first
  • Your schedule calls for :
    a 10k in week 4 (15th/16th January)
    a race (5 mile to HM) in week 8 (12th/13h February)
    a HM in week 10 (26th/27th Feb)

Do these dates fit in with any local races near you?

• Hi UpsyDaisy! Another 3:15 threader here, popping in to say hello and good luck. I'll be checking in from time to time to see how you're getting along.

You'll be in safe hands with Matchstick Man until Bud comes along!

• MM - there is Jack Crawford 10k on 15 Jan which I will do for sure - struggling to find anything local mid/end Feb though - any suggestions?
  • UpsyDaisy wrote (see)
    MM - there is Jack Crawford 10k on 15 Jan which I will do for sure - struggling to find anything local mid/end Feb though - any suggestions?
    When I did the SSX sub3h15 this spring I was simply told to go and do a threshold run to replicate that day's session. So Sunday of week 4 I did 10k on my own as a solo time trial - pretty mindbending but v good to give an indicator of my current fitness. I then did a 10mile tempo run solo on Sunday of week 8 - again, harder mentally than physically but it did show me what my fitness level was.
    Having had a look at the difference between the schedule I did this spring and the one that RW have revised you have a lot more long distance stuff in terms of 20milers than I did.
    The point I made (keep making) on the sub 3h15 thread is that the RW schedule works because it forces people at our level to go out running 6 times a week for 16 weeks. If you hit every session in every week and don't get ill or injured you stand a very good chance of going 3h15 at Paris. I missed 3 sessions out of 16 weeks this spring and it was this solid base I'd created that led to my eventual sub 3h15 time.
    Every schedule has it's critics but the accumulation of multiple runs over 4 months leads to you being a stronger runner in my opinion and it's this "consistent consistency" that you're ultimately aiming at.
  • Hi USD.

I'm wondering about the advice you have been given from the physio people...........

The schedule you are following states that before you start it you should be running constantly 30 -35 miles a week over 6 days...............

as you haven't got this base and haven't for a while.....what advice have they supplied to avoid injury........seems like you will increasing your mileage much quicker than recommended if you follow the schedule....or have they adapted the schedule so that you build up a bit slower.......

Good luck for the task.........image

• Seren nos - not spoken to physio people about the plan yet and Bud has not yet been in touch either. I suppose I will be following the plan as it is and see how it goes and if anything needs altered I am sure it will be. Apart from core strengthening excercises and pilates I also plan to swim on my rest day.

MM - thanks for advice on solo runs. I suppose I could even go running with my husband - he is much quicker than me! He seems to believe the same theory as you - about every day running and high mileage per week with a couple of longer runs midweek/weekend.

• UD - belatedly, well done on your selection and best of luck.   Keep the fun in your running and you will have a blast. 
  • Hey UD, before I had children my approach to training was to go out 5-6 days per week and accumulate as much weekly mileage as possible. I got to a 3:17 marathon with that approach. Now that time is more precious, I was planning on following a schedule.
    I've read the update from MatchstickMan and he's convinced me that following the same schedule as you will give me best chance to achieve a good marathon time in May 2011.
    I'm planning on increasing mileage by end Jan and then starting on the schedule.
    I'm looking forward to learning from your experience of the schedule since you'll be a few weeks ahead of me image

I live in Stirling so interested to hear of any races you find out about. I have always meant to run the Jack Crawford run, but will wait and see how my mileage build up is going before making a decision on that.

• Hi Mummycat - we went to Stirling at the weekend - nice to know we are almost neighbours! image
  • Mummycat my wife and I have two children under 5 and the best thing about the SSX schedule was knowing in advance what sessions were happening on what days 16 weeks ahead. This allowed us to plan family life around my running which proved invaluable. The buy-in from my wife was as important as anything else when I did this. Without her support i wouldn't have achieved what I did.
    I was very lucky in that my wife was on maternity leave with our second for 13 of the 16 weeks of the SSX so it allowed me to run to and from work to fit in running around family life. Its all about routine and scheduling ahead with young children!
  • <waves at Lotte, Mummycat and Caro>

Well done on being chosen, UpsyDaisy! Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Do pop into the Mums' thread sometimes!

• Thanks Tatty Bogle image

I need some music ideas for my ipod - every time I go for a run there is this never ending tune of 'Ba-ba black sheep' and 'Old MacDonald had a farm' stuck in my head... I need help! What are people listening to these days?

• UD - hi and congrats from me as well.

Sorry I'm a bit late joining the party but have only just located this thread. Others on the 3:15 thread are clearly more switched on than me!

Looking forward to hearing about how the next few months pan out.

Has the young 'un realised his mum's famous yet?! image

• Haha - will talk about famous when I cross the finishing line with a sub 3.15 result on my new timex!Just finished writing the christmas cards and off to bed before the young one realises he is needing fed, again!
  • UpsyDaisy - Congratulations and good luck with your 3:15 attempt! I'm hoping for a sub 3:10 marathon a few weeks after London so will be reading this thread religiously hoping to pick up a few tips and to measure my progress.

Good to see plenty of familar edjits posting in the thread! image

• UpsyDaisy - I'm a bit late on the uptake but just dropping in from the 3:15 thread to say, "Morning, congrats and good luck!"

Well done on making it in - I'm sure that you will learn a lot on this project - I learned a massive amount from MM's last year so I'm sure you will gain heaps of benefit.

Good Luck!

• Oooh, and I meant to say - I'll be interested in hearing how you get on with the running/baby balance as that will be something that I will be having to pay more attention to from February next year... image
  • Hello Badbark and FINgers image

No morning run today as husband is away in Germany until Wednesday - waiting for our favourite babysitter to come so I could go for a run this afternoon. Cannot wait!

• UD - are you confident with the idea of doing strides in today's run or are you going to just make it steady due to the weather conditions underfoot?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Daisy - how old is your little one again? Have you thought about running with him? I have spent the last 7 years doing most of my running with children in a buggy to keep it going. If I had relied on other people babysitting I definitely would not have had the same degree of flexibility to get out there. Mind you, I have only recently (after no 3) thought about doing any racing and like you am doing my first marathon in April! There are pitfalls to buggy running eg messing around with your gait and pace and affecting how your core works but, on balance, I find it worthwhile continuing to do it so I can fit in running with family life. I just make sure I focus on form when I am running solo. Oh, and do those core and overall body conditioning workouts! Did I mention the pelvic floor too...? image
  • @mm - the schedule i am following doesn't call for strides today at least the one that isn't london mara focused doesn't

the link provided at the start of this topic does but there is also this schedule through the training sections of the site:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-marathon-schedule-sub-315/3180.html

which you can alter the race date on

the version 3182.html you can't tweak the dates i think

tbh neither are 100% in sync with the downloaded plan