ASICS Super Six: Maria (Sub-3:15)

Comments

• MM - planning to do the gentle strides where conditions allow - there is a good chunk of ice and snow free road so I will give it a go.

MsE - running with buggy is an option yes but definitely harder to keep up the pace if at all possible but better that than no running at all I agree. Not ideal when running on sleety snow and ice - especially if going up or down hills - there are quite a few of them in Glasgow! Working on my core and getting stronger by the day, I am sure! image

• 4 miles done, a lot of traffic and a lot of lights, got shouted at while crossing the road when the red light was flashing - apart from that a very enjoyable although very cold run (it's at least -6 here now) not as sleety and horrible as it was yesterday - even managed a few gentle strides image It took me a little longer than 33 mins but I suppose it does not matter too much taking into account current 'severe' winter conditions image

• MsE - forgot to mention - my son will be 7 months on 1st Jan
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Daisy - 6 months is when it is said their little necks are strong enough to take the jiggling that a run involves! My children loved me running pushing them. You just need to be careful of the effect not using your arms etc can have on your gait. It may give you more freedom if you decide to try it.
  • Yes neck control is in place and he is already sitting up by himself from 5 months. Will definitely keep running with the buggy (when no babysitters available) - thanks for the advice MsE!
  • Hi, UpsyDaisy, well done on fitting in the 4 miler. Road running when there's too much traffic around is not ideal. Please tell me you're not seriously thinking of running with a buggy before the ice and snow has cleared!!!
  • No of course not Gul Darr - will wait until its not so cold and icy image
  • That's a relief to hear. What's your training schedule for today?
  • Wed 5M (approx 41 mins) slow

I ended up running almost 6 miles - definitely feel I am getting a little bit stronger and faster too which is inspiring image

• Well done, UD. Have you heard from your mentor yet?
  • No not heard from Bud yet - a little strange as its nearly been a week!
  • Just keep following the schedule till you from Bud, UpsyDaisy, I'm sure he'll be in touch soon.
    Have you still got a lot of snow where you are? I went out last night and did 5 miles in the fresh snow. It did feel like a proper work out even though I was going slow “recovery run”.

• Hello people! UpsyDaisy, try not to run further than the schedule requires. Part of the secret of marathon training is to stick to the schedule, which saves your legs for the harder runs and prevents fatigue in the long run. Don't worry, it'll get hard enough soon enough! Well done for persevering without a mentor, a week does seem a little too long. You know what the schedule is so just keep going until he appears.
  • After a disasterous attempt last April (DNF), I've entered a marathon again - this time on 1st May, so I can follow the thread a few weeks behind.  Lots of miles behind me in the last 12 months so ready for the off.  Official target is sub 3:20, but I'd like to adjust down by 5 mins.

My schedule is a work in progress.  I am trying to marry up a number of club races with club sessions and running 4/5 times a week.  I like the look of the sub-3:15 schedule above, but with an additional rest day on the Monday.

I have a 10K on the 16th Jan to see where I am - 44 seconds away from sub-40 last time out...

• What you got planned over Xmas UD to keep things ticking over?
  • Hi Blisters and Beer - you are right, I am going to stick to the schedule and not do more than it states. Got my new watch in post yesterday so looking forward to trying it out at my next run on Friday.

Sandy Balls - good luck and happy training!

Knight Rider - going to spend my Christmas with my husbands extensive family out in the beautiful Scottish countryside. Friday is a day of rest so I am planning to hand my son over to his granny and put my feet up. Will do my best to shield myself from the mince pies invasion as fear they will be everywhere! Saturday and Sunday I am going to go running with my husband - he is much quicker than me so I am excited to see if I will manage to keep up! image

• Went for a 4 mile steady run in the evening - felt really good although it was freezing outside (-11C). Took me 35 mins with a very steep hill in mile 3, managed not to stop at red lights which makes a big difference.

• SB - sounds like you had a similar experience to me. VLM 2010 was my first marathon and should have been a DNF (or even a DNS), but I did hobble round in over 6 hours. All the best with your training and mara on 1st May - which one is it, Bury?

UD - Christmas in the Scottish countryside sounds like heaven! Have a great time and come back rested and rearing to go.

• UD - have you tried the watch on yet?  It looks huge and I have mini wrists!

GD - it's amazing how many of us make that mistake.  FLM 2008 was my second marathon and I had an awful sore throat and cough but still insisted on doing it.  I have learnt my lesson.

• Hello all and hope you all had a great Christmas! Just back home after our trip to the countryside, there was no chance of going online but I religiously followed my schedule and ran on Saturday and Sunday. Ran half of the route with the buggy yesterday - much harder in the snow! However, found out it is much easier to run pushing the buggy with one hand only. Back in Glasgow roads look too icy to run on so I think I will be better off running on the treadmill today.

USB - not used the watch yet - it's absolutely huge!

• You're more obsessive than me!  My schedule had the potential for a rest day on Saturday so I grabbed the option.

I've not tried the watch on yet either.  At the moment I use a Garmin 405 and while I can fasten it securely it does stand away from my wrist a bit.  

• I have a rest day on Fridays image Don't think I would have the will and stamina to run 7 days a week! 
  • What's on your schedule for this week UD? And have you heard from Bud yet?
  • WEEK TWO

Mon 4M (approx 35 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 2M (or 13 mins) fast, with 800m (4-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 6M (approx 50 mins) slow
    Thu 1M jog, then 2M (approx 14 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5M (approx 42 mins) easy
    Sun 13M (approx 108 mins) slow

Not heard from Bud yet.... image

• how were the intervals today ud? have you still not heard from bud? i guess with the bank holidays over tomorrow you would hope to hear from him...
  • Hi dm1974, still nothing from Bud - a bit weird but suppose sometime in the new yeear...

Reg training, my plan to run on the treadmill on Monday was abandoned as University gym was closed image I felt really sick on Monday evening (must have caught a tummy bug over Christmas) so did not go running. Went out yesterday morning and did Monday's 4 miles. Intervals today, will have to train on Friday or do two sessions in one day to catch up. Will see.

Could not get the GPS to work on the Timex when I was out running yesterday - what am I doing wrong?

• Hi UD. Sorry to hear there's still no mentor. Well done for keeping it going over Christmas...I didn't!

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to double-up or run on a rest day, unless your mileage is generally higher than the schedule currently calls for. It's all about consistency over the entire campaign so one short run missed won't make much difference at this stage. If you'll feel guilty, you can always do Thursday's run on Friday (as you are a day behind) and add a couple more warm-up miles to the front of the tempo session. Saturday can be a complete rest day to ensure you're over the tempo session before your MLR on Sunday. Just a suggestion.

Can't advise on your posh new Timex I'm afraid.

• UD - never try to 'catch up' missed sessions. You can rearrange so that you've technically only missed a recovery run if you've actually missed a more important session, but 'catching up' will lead to fatigue or injury. If you missed it, you missed it. No biggie. So long as you're not missing one every week.

I'm sure Bud would say the same. Maybe. Who knows?! Have you contacted RW to ask what's going on? It seems rather unfair that you're on week 2 now and haven't even heard from him. 

• Who needs olympic athlete coaches when UD's got the whole of the sub 3:15 thread looking after her, huh? image
  • I'm sure Bud's wisdom will be very much appreciated, by all of us, when he shows up. Until then....

I just wanted to add that if you've rearranged your days so that you've only missed a 4 mile recovery run, you could feasibly add extra recovery miles to other sessions if you're desperate to keep to the mileage, but I wouldn't do them all at once. I had to cut yesterday's run short (by 1.25 miles) as the ice was too dangerous to run on. I added an extra 0.3 onto today's MLR on the treadie and will probably add a little to tomorrow's run and a little to Friday's run. It's not necessary at all, but I do like my totals to be right at the end of a week image