ASICS Super Six: Maria (Sub-3:15)

1262728293032»

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Maria,  agree with running with a faster runner to improve your times.  I bullied a chap in my club to do a weekly session with me during my marathon training.   This started off as LT sessions, then went into 800m reps and MP runs.  He's faster than me at shorter distance but I ran a marathon with him at the end of last year (his first) and we were about the same.   At first I was a bit daunted by him but I knew it would be to my benefit and he also got something out of it because I was teaching him about LS running.  My marathon is this weekend so I can't say at the moment whether or not its paid off but I definitely feel stronger and more confident from my sessions with him.

Can you join a club?  Its a great way of meeting new runners  to team up with at others times of the week.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Honest race report, UD.  And Allan is sooo cute!

• hi UD! i just read your paris race report and couldn't help but comment, since i ran paris last year (my first marathon) and suffered stomach issues as well so i can relate! around mile 10/11 my stomach went crazy (and there were hardly any toilets en route, it was horrible) - reaching the finish line was one of the toughest experiences of my life, and at times i didn't think i would finish but i did and felt especially proud having pushed through it all. it's incredible what you can get yourself to do if you're really determined, isn't it?! so well done on your race!! i hope you're recovering well this week.

when i ran new york in the fall, i was extra careful about my nutrition - cooked everything myself, meticulously planned my menus etc rather than go out to restaurants as i did in paris - and i was totally fine, what a relief, because i never want to have to experience what i went through in paris again!
  • UpsyDaisy wrote (see)

my training was lacking some company quite literally. I was always running by myself - if I was running beside a faster runner I would have had a better chance of consistent improvement in my performance and speed.

UD, of course there is no substitute for a good running partner but most of us will do most of our miles on our own. I get one track session a week as a group and if I am lucky I can find a partner at the weekend for a run of sorts, but few want to do 20 milers and fewer want to do it targeting 3:15 pace.

One thing that does help is these forums, and obviosuly runners world is not the only forum, and facebook etc can help. With a garmin on your wrist you get that continual pace nagging that a partner can bring but you dont get his fluctuations so when he wants to go fast and you don't it isn't an issue.

The 3:15 thread is quite friendly, pop over and say high and spend some time enjoying running away from the limelight.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Philip - my youngest will join her sister in nursery three afternoons after Easter which potentially means I may be free to join you for a lunchtime run! image Will be a novelty for me to run with others too as all my running is done alone which has been out of necessity really with such a busy family life but does make me feel a bit like Norma No Mates when I pass the ladies of West London chatting away as they run along the towpaths!
  • MsE wrote (see)
    Philip - my youngest will join her sister in nursery three afternoons after Easter which potentially means I may be free to join you for a lunchtime run! image Will be a novelty for me to run with others too as all my running is done alone which has been out of necessity really with such a busy family life but does make me feel a bit like Norma No Mates when I pass the ladies of West London chatting away as they run along the towpaths!
    As soon as you are released drop me a message: company woudl be great this year and into next year for London 2012, especially for MLR which does get tedious but has to be done.
  • I think the lack of people to run with this year is the main reason behind me deciding to give marathons a miss for a year or two and get back on the fells. Last year, whilst I didn't have anyone to do any LRs with there were people to do midweek and recovery runs most of the time - this year I reckin I've done 80%+ of my running alone.

At least on the fells I can take the dog to talk to!
  • I did the majority of my training runs on my own this year as the sessions did not fit well with what my club were doing. My omnipresent running buddy was my Gsrmin. I don't think I suffered by this.
  • Agree much easier to do your long runs with someone but occasionally disadvantage as you run at someone elses ideal pace rather than your own which could be too slow or fast.

Ultimately what happens in a marathon is often how well you grit out that last six miles on your own and it does seem that those who are used to fighting fatigue solo in training may be able do it better in the marathon itself but of course it is possible that runners with company do better training runs and therefore build better fitness. 

• I think I've struck a happy medium as regards my long runs - I do the first 8-10 miles with clubmates then do the remainder on my own - definitely easier than doing it all on my own. Steve is right about the pacing though as sometimes I've found myself doing the first section at a pace faster than intended, but I've usually managed to get the balance I think by doing the early miles with runners who are usually slower than me, so they're doing their medium runs at the pace I want to do my longer runs at. As I'm a low mileage runner I tend to do my long runs faster than many anyway, so running with the 1:35-1:45 half runners for the first part works quite well.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Steve - I agree there are downsides to running with company and I actually like running on my own but do find when racing that other people around me are a bit of a distraction (all that heavy breathing going on!). Philip is much faster than me but I think the mid-week MLRs will be a good middle ground for us to run together as I think a range between 7:30-8:00m/m would work (correct me if wrong though, Philip!)
  • I agree it is hard to find a person to do long runs with who would run at the same pace and I do not mind doing my long runs alone. I actually really enjoy it! What I was talking about was having some company for speed sessions or hill sessions. Having a running buddy would be of more benifit there I think.

I just thought of one more positive taken from the competition - having to report back to the forum about what I have done. It did put extra pressure but made me go out and run even when I did not feel llike it. So I am definitely sticking with the forum!

• MsE wrote (see)
    Steve - I agree there are downsides to running with company and I actually like running on my own but do find when racing that other people around me are a bit of a distraction (all that heavy breathing going on!). Philip is much faster than me but I think the mid-week MLRs will be a good middle ground for us to run together as I think a range between 7:30-8:00m/m would work (correct me if wrong though, Philip!)

MsE, spot on. My MLR is done somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00 (actually closer to the 7:30 end) but in my opinion the important thing is doing it rather than the pace and over the years I have found that having someone waiting for you is a good motivator. Obviously if there is a bug difference in pace it won't work but closish is what we are looking for and not an exact match.

There are sessions when pace is important, so track work for sure, bu tthe nice thing about track work is that you all get together at each recovery.

The other thing is that you can run with somebody but at a different pace: I had a NZ girl coaching me and she was a rower and fit but not a natural runner so we went out together and then she would say "Run to the bridge and back fast" so basically I did a fartlek session while she jogged round.

• Good luck to everyone  who is running London this weekend!!! You will all do brilliantly!!
  • I do agree there is a big benefit of doing speedwork in a group - the training group that Alex and Alison  joined had around 30 in and it's easier collectively doing something which lots of others are doing and suffering with you. Usually there is someone of a similar pace and if you are doing 400m or mile reps the difference in speeds with someone is less pronounced than if you were doing a 20 mile run together.

I also agree that with a little bit of compromise, that is better to do training with other people as long as one person isn't slacking or straining too much.

• If you have any aches or niggles after your spring marathon, join our webchat with ASICS PRO Team physio Sarah Connors. She's live on our forum today giving recovery advice from 1-2pm, or you can start posting your questions now: http://bit.ly/gOb6SW
  • very excited as have just checked NYC marathon website and turns out I've been lucky again - bring on more training! image

• So Maria, the big question is what is your target time for NYC, and more importantly, what thread are you going to join in with and become part of a family rather than a star in a spotlight?