ASICS Super Six: Maria (Sub-3:15)

Comments

• Well done on the sesson in those conditions - worth so much more than in the sun!

I heard Bud on the tv today in the background as he was the highly enthusiastic on course commentator at the Edinburgh cross-country

• That explains where he is this weekend!  I watched the women's race but only heard the TV commentary.
  • Steve - thank you for your advice on hill reps and your comments reg running outside vs treadmill. Roads are very icy today again and for a moment there I was thinking going to the gym but the thought of running 13 miles on a treadmill was not very appealing so I decided to try running with the YakTrax on my shoes (http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/) - bought them in Christmas sales! They were really great! In the end I ran about 11.5 miles and not fell or slipped once - I wish I had discovered them sooner! They do make it somewhat harder to run on a snow/ice free road but its a small price to pay in comparison to missing a session because of bad weather. Back home now and feeling tired. Early night tonight I think.

• I have some of those too. I think I got my money's worth in that first snowfall at the beginning of December!
  • Good running UD _ i did some runs in the snow in spikes but the Yaktrax are probably better.
  • the snow was pretty good in Edinburgh.

how did run go?

very  often  long run over snow causes stiff calf muscles so be careful to  ice ( sorry) and stretch as appropriate.  But great strength work so as ever take someting very  positive from  the run.

what are your plans next few days

• Hi Bud - great to have you on the forum image All snow melted today so roads are more or less runnable with a few patches of ice here and there. Run yesterday went quite well I thought - I was doing on average 9 min mile - not fast but I felt comfortable running 11.5 miles without getting out of breath or needing to stop. I could feel my calves getting sore by the end of the run - did plenty of stretching when I got home and all seems fine today.

As for my plans for the next few days - I am trying to follow the RW Garmin Training plan as closely as I can and week 4 reads as follows:

Mon 4M easy (approx 34 mins)
    Tue 1M jog, then 6 x 1000m at 10K speed (or 4 mins) fast, with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 8M easy (approx 68 mins)
    Thu 5M steady (approx 40 mins)
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4M easy(approx 34 mins)
    Sun 13M in approx 1:44 (First 6M easy in 52 mins, last 7M at marathon pace in 52 mins)

So far I find this plan manageable, although I think I should work on increasing my speed. Any advice?

Do you recommend making any ammendments to this plan?

• All seems pretty good UpsyDaisy ( favourite of my grand daughters).

Make sure  the kms are  relaxed and above all controlled even though you are running quickly.

Don t  know if you are used to doing strides after your runs but would definitely recommend you try 5-10 x 80-100m strides after runs  but these are  controlled strides  NOT sprints.

looks like some mild weather onthe way so enjoy your running.

Have fun 

BB

• My son's favourite too image

How are strides different from sprints? I have never done them before.

• Planned to do a 10k race this weekend but it has been postponed until March due to weather. When do you recommend doing a half marathon? And how many should I do before April?
  • Hi UD, shame about the 10k being postponed this weekend. Are there many races in your area anyway? Are you a member of a runnng Club. These are usually a good sources of races, some of which are League races and not open to the general public.
  • Hi Knight Rider. I am a member of a tri club and also have access to a hill running club where my husband is a member. All races were postponed due to weather - not much you can do about it. There will be 12.5 km race mid Feb which I am going to sign up for. Let's hope the weather co-operates!

Anyone knows what is the difference between doing strides and sprints? I am not sure I understand...

Run yesterday wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Legs felt heavy and gps did not pick up the signal until I was half way into my splits which was annoying as I had to just do it by minutes - 4 mins fast then 1 minute recovery x 6.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I'm sure someone much more experienced than me will come along with some technical stuff but in the meantime here's my attempt to answer:

I always think of strides as what the fast people do before races. An acceleration for a short period to about 80% concentrating on form. You can put them at the end of easy runs too in order to keep the legs ticking over, but you wouldnt do them on a quality run day.

• Thanks Curly45, Bud recommended I do them after my runs - will give it a go this evening, if I have the energy - seem really lethargic today, not had a very good night last night as Allan has a cold and started teething.
  • What Curly said - Sprints would be flat out, as if you were completing a session as fast as possible.  Strides are strong and controlled.

I wonder what the philosophy is behind doing them after a session?  Perhaps Bud could enlighten us?

• Thanks Badbark - very good explanation indeed!

• I always intersperse my strides during the run rather than at the end. No idea if there's any hard science suggesting if either option is better
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have done the kind of strides that Bud recommends as well as strides in the middle of runs, both having a different outcome and aim.  I found that they were excellent for forcing me to focus on my stride and style when quite tired after a run, so instead of shuffling along home on the cool down, I was more upright and less tired.  I did 10 x 100m and have to say really enjoyed them, they made me feel very strong and I'm sure they also built strength that I was then able to use at the end of races. 
  • I remember Phil Pub's description of the feel of strides as being excellent - having to run to catch a bus, but knowing you would catch it.

I do my strides during a race warmup, but also between my warmup and a quality session to prepare me for the pace. I also sometimes do them during easy runs (mid run, or in the last couple of miles), usually when I have an easy week to keep the legs ticking over. I've never tried them after a run though.

• Tried doing strides last night - 5 x 100 m during a warm up mile and 5 x 100 m at the end during cool down - felt stronger then the day before but legs still feel heavy. Monday this week was a rest day for me as hubby came home late and Allan wasnt sleeping well due to nasty caugh. I think I will have my rest day on Mondays from now on - I feel I need it more after a longer run on Sunday. 5 miles steady tonight. Will incorporate strides into them at the end as well.

• Well done for keeping it all up UD. Don't be scared to swap the sessions round if you find you have to, as long as you don't end up doing 2 hard sessions back to back.

I've only tried the strides a couple of times but have found them a bit of a revelation. As Hilly says, they're really good fun..you're allowed to run fast but you don't have to keep it going! As far as I understand it, they promote a good running style and efficiency, which helps with all distances so the important thing is to make sure you're running with good form. Keeping upright, having a good arm swing and stretching the legs, all done almost to the point of exaggeration are the things to bear in mind. If it helps, you could concentrate on one aspect of them for each set. For example, eyes towards the horizon for the first set, strong, pumping arms for the second set, etc until they come naturally. Also, it's important not to dive straight into sprinting from running slowly so a gradual build up over the first 30 or 40 metres to a good speed is how I do them.

Hope your son improves soon.

• Strides are  relaxed controlled faster  BUT not flat  out running  accentuating good technique without trying too hard or feeling artificial the way you are running. 

Over 70-80m   BUT relaxed

Have fun

• Thanks for that Bud.

Also wanted to ask you about taking part in races. Should I run two half marathons before April? When is the best time to run them? Are there any Asics half marathons I can take part in?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    UD - I would have thought two HMs would be ok if you were only racing one and the other was done at MP with a long warm-up and cool down to make a good quality long run.  Bud might have other thoughts on this though!  Personally I would avoid racing one too close to the marathon.  I think the traditional HM before a marathon used to be something like 3 weeks out, but I think that's too close.
  • UD - I've done a HM 2 weeks before a marathon before and ran it purely as a MP run. Got a great confidence boost from it but unfortunately picked up an illness for that marathon so didn't find out if it was a good idea or not.
    Last year we did a HM 4 weeks out as part of the SSX competition and were told to run it as a MP workout. I did a 15 mile race 2 weeks before that and was allowed to run it flat out. I would hazard a guess that racing a HM 6 weeks before your marathon will give you a good idea of your actual fitness and will allow you to start formulating a target time for Paris.

How's the training going? Do you feel that you're managing to work the running in around being a full time mum?

• Hi MM - to be honest this week has been harder than the previous three as my son has a heavy cold that seems to be never ending! This affects his sleep routine and as a result I hardly get any sleep either. This said, I still manage to go out for my evening runs and enjoy it however this week I've been feeling lethargic and sleep deprived which no doubt has an affect on my training. What keeps me going is the thought that there are full time mummies on this forum who juggle 2,3 and even 4 kids and still manage to go out and train image A slight lack of desired coaching and guidance is a bit of a pity but perhaps it is my own fault - I should not have set such high expectations...

• Understandable UD. But there are alot of people around here who would like to see you succeed so if you've got the questions, the experienced people will give you the answers and will help you towards your goal.

I was interested in your point the other day about your watch not getting a signal until you were half way into your run. Does the Timex really take that long or do you live in an area where it maybe hard to get a signal? To make sure my Garmin's ready before a run, I usually turn it on and leave it on the window sill while I get changed.

• Hopefull the GPS problem is sorted now - my technologically gifted husband has reconfigured something and the watch now gets the signal even when I am indoors image

• good to hear from you Matt.

" half mar are fine  but get the timing right.

Would suggest you consider Watford  on FEb 6 as marker to see where you are at  and then one in late March,  maybe Reading if you ca get in but  certainly  no later than  3 weeks before Paris

What are your plans for the weekend ?

Bud