ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Hello.................................very quiet on here....is anybody there?

My running has been decimated by the impossibility of going outdoors,- did 13 tedious km on tready yesterday, but all melted now..............  time to get started!

• Hello! Am looking forward to doing Key run #1(speed work) tomorrow. Icy roads meant no running outdoors last week but aim to do 13miles this Sunday. Have been doing strength training at home though image
  • Hi Alex!
    So pleased to see you're training has started well- I'm a bit out of routine having spent the holidays all over the place so am quite looking forward to settling back in to it. I'm really pleased you got it, and will be following you and trying to keep up!
  • Hi Steve,

Nice to have your imput on our sub 4  efforts, we met at Birmingham.

My question is:- I'm still 'marathon fresh' from November and my long runs are between 13 and 16 miles. Should I continue at that distance and wair for the schedule to catch me up or drop my mileage down to the schedule distance? Thanks

Jillimage

• Jill

If you are already at that level, I would suggest that you follow the long runs as given in the schedule on alternate weeks but do longeron the other week   ie 16 miles but only at a slower pace

• Happy new year!

Jst been out for first outdoors run for a month- AHHhhhhh, that actually feels ENJOYABLE! ( apart from the cold ears!) 9km "easy". Will try to do LSR tomorrow.

• Hi Steve,

Nice to have your imput on our sub 4  efforts, we met at Birmingham.

My question is:- I'm still 'marathon fresh' from November and my long runs are between 13 and 16 miles. Should I continue at that distance and wair for the schedule to catch me up or drop my mileage down to the schedule distance? Thanks

Jillimage

• jmc - Happy new year. almost confused as thought I'd answered that and you had thanked me!

• Sorry, I keep doing that - I have no idea how I manage it!
  • It's the dreaded 'refresh' button I think
  • Hi guys, and welcome Steve! Sorry for the short radio silence - I've been christmassing in Dublin and kept away from the computer. Despite a week of bronchitus, I've managed to squeeze in a longish run every second day, and will be running this week's long run back in London tomorrow.

Thanks for the speed tips- I'll do some calculations tomorrow mornng before I set off (being Australian I've a tendency to work in kms most the time) and will report back and reply to your helfpul tips and words of encouragement afterwards.

In the meantime, I hope you've all had a wonderful festive season and are looking forward to burning some of it off on the streets...!
  • Hi Alexandra Hope you had a good xmas in Dublin and the bronchitus is on the way out.

- I do most of my speedwork in kilometres now though because there are still so many imperial races like 5 miles and 10 miles and schedules still tend to use mile paces, it's diffiicult to be totally metric

• Glad your feeling better Alex, what's this weeks recipe?

I've just done a 11 mile trail run, good filthy fun! Hills on Wednesday.

• Hi guys! Right, a quick catch up with you all:

Jimmy - don't worry, I think London must be the week after Paris, so you're supposed to be a week behind on the schedule.

BWT & Steve - thanks for the pacing advice, that all sounds manageable. Steve - just to be clear, your figures refer to the time it should take me to run a mile?

KnightRider - thanks for the encouragement! Hope you're still aiming for sub-3:15 - will you still be running Paris?

Bexie - thanks to you too! I think you said you were running Brighton on Paris day? Is the half also part of your plans?

I'm off to run week 2's 8 miles shortly (after a brief sojourn at mapmyrun.com). More gingerbread baking today as I never got around to delivering some to the neighbours before Chrimbo. Happy running!
  • 11miles for me today- I MIGHT have stayed out longer, but at that point someone phoned from work (I'm on call) with a very oblique question, and by the time I'd figured out what he was saying, I was freezing, so headed back in.

Longest run for a little while, and felt very easy. Onwards and upwards!
  • USB, how have you added photos to a thread in the past? I keep trying to click on 'image' just above, but get an error message about java, and have checked that I have the latest version. Confused - any ideas?
  • yes if I say 10 minute miles (600 secs) then divide by 1.609 to get the metric equivalent of 6:13 (373)!

• Hi all (& Alex especially...!) - great this forum is up again for the lucky winner.  I followed it closely 2 yrs ago when I came close with 4:04, but big improvement on the previous year which was 4:25.  Last year was my first year of triathlon which I really loved, so this year I'm going to try and juggle a sub 4:00 goal with tri training.  Thought that would be impossible til I also fouind the FIRST schedule, so am trying that - i.e. 3 runs a week + 2 cross training which'll be swimming.   Findind mara pace a bit hard to quite get yet, but then, it is only 4 Jan!  Looking forward to hearing from everyone....and am worried that I'm going to end up baking lots more than running if the stories continue like that!
  • Hi Alex.  You're doing the right thing by clicking on the tree but when I do it I get a choice of where to get the picture from.  Like this one (my posh bag of gels to leave at Fetchpoint at Abingdon last year)

/members/images/17438/Gallery/Abingdon_drop_bag.jpg

• Happy New Year Alex image I hope you've had a good Christmas & New Year and getting settled into the training. 

Have the Timex watches been working well?  I've already got a Garmin 305,  love it to piecesand have found it really useful to be able to download the plans and paces direct to the watches.  I was wondering if you are able to download the plans direct to the Timex watches in the same way?

• Hello Simbix, Alli B, and USB!

Unfortunately I came away from yesterday afternoon's long run with a sore left knee. Not quite sure why (perhaps I was running too fast too far and too quickly- 5:30 kilometres instead of 6:25), but I've been in a knee support today just in case and didn't go to my running club's track session this evening.

To avoid total demoralisation I watched 'Spirit of the Marathon' last night - the tale of six professional and non-professional entrants in the 2005 Chicago marathon. I was bawling my eyes out by the end. Highly recommended, but made me very aware of the slightest injury becoming a major set back that can ruin the whole day.

To top that off, two books - 'Advanced Marathoning' (Pfitzinger & Douglas), and '4 months to a 4 hour marathon' (Kuehls) arrived in the post this morning. Both discuss the FIRST introduction to marathon training, which I'm starting to think is a sensible approach to the first few weeks depending on how much mileage you've been getting in prior to the program.

Next films up: 'The Steve Prefontaine Story' and 'Run Your Life'.

Ooh and Alli the Tinex is good so far - not that different from the Garmin (405, which I adore too) really. Similarly, I haven't uploaded the schedules yet - I had a lot of trouble with my Garmin and neither I, nor Runners World, nor Garmin, ever found me a solution. Perhaps I'll have more luck with the Timex...? Or perhaps the problem's linked to my inability to upload a photo of my latest batch of biscuits to this thread...?
  • Alex - have you looked at the sub 4 schedule today?  It seems to have changed somewhat.  For week 2 it is showing lots of 200m reps for the speedwork and 11 easy miles for the long run!  I did 2 lots of 1.5 miles for speed and then an 8 miler like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Oh goodness me you're right! It's all changed, despite saying it was last updated in 2006! There was no mention of a park run when I copied it all on to officious charts to post around my life two weeks ago. What has happened?!
  • A change is as good as a rest. There may have been a problem with the schedules being loaded before christmas as these were the ones I think you should have been following. Obviously while there are over 50 parkruns now, many areas don't have them yet so they are just a suggestion for those who live close to one to fit them into the schedules and get some company for some faster runs.

• Excellent idea I reckon - there's a fun one a 15 minute cycle away at Hackney Marsh - anyone in the area this Saturday?
  • Hopefully your knee is ok - may be worth doing some strengthening exercises and having a few easy days or rest until it feels right.
  • Oh dear, what's even more confusing is, that i've downloaded onto the Garmin Training Centre ready  to start training for Edinburgh and the runs are different to those on the RW page:

For the 3rd week - RW page says:

Mon Rest
    Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10K pace (or 8 mins) fast, with 400m (or 2 mins) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 5M easy (approx 50 mins)
    Thu 1M jog, then 4M at half-marathon pace (34 mins), then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4M inc hill session or circuit
    Sun 11M steady (approx 1:44)

Garmin Training Centre says:

Tues 3 x 1m Fast

Wed  Slow 6M

Thurs Steady 3M

Sat Easy 4M

Sun Slow 9M

• Hi Alex

Hackney Marshes is a little too far away from me, but if you're thinking of trying out Finsbury Park Run anytime, let me know