Options

ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options

Cake is the best, no doubt about it. How about a different version of the Medoc marathon, with cake at the drinks stations. Probably why I liked Ashby 20, chocolate, gels, sweets. Best race support I've experienced to date.

It's good to see you've retained the running mojo post marathon Alex and that you're giving yourself plenty of time to recover and taking it steady. You'll definitely do quicker than that for 10k and I would suggest 1.45 or better on the HM. After Stratford last year I was in bits, physicalyl and mentally. It took about a month before I started enjoying my running again.

Still waiting for my foam roller to arrive, going to jump up and down on Amazon if it doesn't get here soon. As for cold baths, I'm too much of a wimp but maybe some time in the future I'll man up and give it a go.

• Options

Ice baths really do work. I always always always have one after my longer runs. You do get used to them...eventually!

Meanwhile my knees are taking a toll on these long runs....did 14 miles yesterday and my left one ached most of the time. The only way I can describe it is that they feel like they need a really good oiling if that makes sense!!!

Richmond 10k this weekend but I need to make up the distance to 15 miles so will probably just keep running round the park.

Alex... the Peckham 10k I ran the other week actually measured 9.94 by my Garmin!

• Options

marmalade, I'll man up and try one after my next long run. I've been using Skins recovery tights, lucky enough to win a set late last year. Don't know if they work or not, but I like the feel image. Couldn't justify spending £130 on them though.

I ran a HM last month and it measured 12.86m according to my Garmin. You can only run the distance put in front of you and I'm more than happy for my Garmin to be short as long as I get to the finish line

• Options
    Slow - my advice is to take a cup of tea in with you when you do the ice bath.  it makes it slightly more bearable
  • Options
    Back to my running club last night for the first time since the marathon and it was awesome to see everyone - I even got challenged to a flourless ginger cake bake off for next week!

We met at Mile End Stadium and ran along the canal to the Olympic Park. Spectacular views over the stadium as the sun set - it's still all 'natural' out there - manicured, but pretty isolated. I ran with some Edinburgh marathon and half marathoners, a girl who is taking 13 other ladies 'from couch to half marathon' (and blogging about it) and saw some lovely friendly old faces.

Am really enjoying being back on a schedule - am doing the last three weeks of a 10km schedule, after which I'll start a 12 week half schedule. Back to five runs per week!

Anyone running Edinburgh this weekend? Don't forget your sunscreen!
  • Options

First run since Sunday's 12 mile LSR last night. I think I over did the crossing training on Monday, combined with a couple of poor nights sleep left me feeling sapped of energy. Common sense kicked in for a change and I ditched Tuesday's run. Last night felt good and it was a struggle to keep the pace controlled.

With the tea time race start for my run next Saturday, what would those of you that got baked in Paris and other marathons prefer? A warm start with the temperature dropping as you go, or start in the cool with it getting warmer as the run progresses. Forget the logistics side of things, just think about the conditions

• Options
    Forget the comment about the logistics, I was thinking about that as my race starts at 5.30pm and not the usual 9am. Throws up a whole host of other issues image
  • Options

Hi SRM! Sounds as though you made the right choice not to run. I read a motivational article in either the UK or Australian version of Runners World last week that listed the occasions when you should actually overcome the demons and force yourself out there, and when you shouldn't. Often you don't know until you view the decision retrospectively though!

I did my first speed session in a while this morning - am getting used to exercising before breakfast instead of late at night after work. 4 sets of 800m + 400m jogs in between. Definitely felt harder than it used to! But good to get the legs turning over more quickly - I love a good sprint.

Re temperature - I would far prefer to start in the warm and cool down as the run progresses. I usually become beetroot-faced after about 2km and then just get hotter and hotter. A cool breeze or a sudden drop in temperature is just bliss on an evening run!

Any flourless ginger cake recipes out there? I've found one that draws its moistness from plenty of eggs, black molasses and even some polents! Am going to try it out this weekend in advance of Tuesday night's bake off....

• Options
    GOOD LUCK EDINBURGHERS!!
  • Options
    Oh, I have been missing the notifications, I thought you were all being quiet until autumn. I do have a flourless seville orange cake recipe, wil have to dig it out. Glad there is still running, baking, training going on,
  • Options
    Haha hi Kate! Thought you must have been getting really stuck into your program!

Just pulled another flourless blood orange and almond cake out of the oven, as well as chocolate malt brownies - a friend is bringing her new baby over tomorrow so we're going to celebrate with cake and champagne.

Meanwhile, I'm gearing up for Tuesday night's bake off - flourless ginger cake trial went well during the week - I have my winning recipe!

Tried British Military Fitness at Victoria Park this morning - it was pretty good, but a little pricey for an hour of someone shouting at you - I think I'm probably motivated enough to do without. That said, it was a great work out jumping from sprints to press ups to sprints to tricep dips and lovely to be out in the bright sunshine this morning.

Long slow run routed with a friend from my running club tomorrow morning - I'm really looking forward to running gently and far tomorrow. Will be thinking of all those running Edinburgh - whether relay leg, half, or full marathon! The weather's looking good - 13 degrees and a chance of storms...
  • Options
    Hi all image good to see you are still running

Kate - belated response about races. I have Dartmoor Discovery 4th June which is 32 miles but no clear plans after that. I've done South Downs a couple of times, lovely scenery, and I heard Marlborough was nice too
  • Options
    And DUBLIN DUBLIN DUBLIN - apparently it's the friendly marathon!
  • Options

Marlborough was beautiful, still struggling with eating enough so the last 4 miles took me an hour! Tried to do the Richmond marathon the next day, could have made it but as it was laps my heart wasn't in it so dropped out half way. Having a rethink on the multi day as the logistics aren't really working out, so looking for some more things to do.

Dartmoor sounds good USB, hilly? Good luck to the Edinburgh runners.

• Options
    Congratulations on Marlborough! And for (a) getting to the start line at Richmond and (b) half way around! You are still my ultra-running idol.

What were you eating?

Went for a 12km run this morning with Icelandic friend Petra - we had a lovely time observing Sunday morning hackney wildlife, including a guy who followed me blowing kisses, and a police raid surrounded by reporters. All very entertaining.

BF arrives from Abu Dhabi on Thursday morning for two weeks! So excited!

Looking forward to hearing Edinburgh race run downs...
  • Options

Dartmoor is good and hilly Kate!  I've looked at the elevation on Map My Run and there are 5 hills with a grading from them.  The plan is to write on my arm where they will come and walk them briskly from the bottom rather than try to run and end up walking slowly.

Alex - have you got some leave booked while BF is here?  image

• Options
    Morning B! Oh yes, next weekend will be four days and the following three. I think he's just looking forward to spending some quality time in London - his first time back in a year!
  • Options

You were clearly looking good on your run this morning Alex! USB, if it wasn't for South Downs I would be tempted. On the early morning thread someone got shouted at 'Oi Lycra' by a drunk which is my current favourite.

I was eating jaffa cakes, malt loaf, raisins and shot blocks, I struggle with all the sugary stuff and don't eat, panic and eat too much and get a stitch. I am thinking of being truly random and trying honey, a bit squirty bottle!

• Options

Last LSR this morning before my marathon. This time next week, I'll be indulging in a beer or two for the first time since 2nd Jan and it'll all be over before I start the Long stuff again for Frankfurt in October.

So it went something like this. Got up, got dressed and reached for the Garmin which was a flat as a pancake. No sweat grab my trusty Polar, flat as a pancake. Ok, run as I feel then, 8 miles @ 9.30-9.45 pace turned out to be a shade over 9 @ 8.52. Ooops!

• Options
    SRM! Good luck for Sunday!
  • Options

*Skulks back into the forum*

Mittelrhein done in 4.28.42, a new PB by 13mins but some way short of what I'd hoped for. Lovely run and nicely organised if anyone finds themselves in Germany in May.

Having reflected on it a few things to think about. Jaffa cakes aren't the answer to the fueling. Maybe mini mars bars image

Pacing. My LSR's are always run too fast, I need to remember that the purpose of the LSR is time on feet and until I can run a marathon in 3.20 then my long runs need to take longer. That means more trouble and strife from the wife image

A week or so of gentle recovery than I'm going to do some shorter, quicker running before stepping up again in August to get ready for Frankfurt in October.

• Options
    No skulking SRM, a PB by that much doesn't need a skulk, well done. I am happy to put myself up for eating research, I have enjoyed the jaffa cakes but agree they are not the answer.
  • Options

I know what you mean Kate, it's all steps in the right direction to sub 4, which is what it's all about. I just needed the DOMS to kick in and remind me it wasn't that bad a run image

• Options

Congratulations SRM - SOUNDS LIKE A MASSIVE PB TO ME. How are you feeling today? Able to sit down and get up again relatively unassisted I hope!

Big news from me - I've decided on my next marathon. Originally, the BF had given me very firm indications that I was not to run another, but I've since twisted his arm a little - it's Dublin (he's Irish), I'll have time to train (he'll still be overseas) and it will be this year's anti-cancer fundraiser (as I didn't focus on fundraising for Paris). I'm pretty excited. Actually, very very excited. Time to email Steve I think.

In other news, just finished reading 'Why we run' by Robin Harvie. Interesting stuff - bit more historical than other running books - he's clearly well read and more academic than Dean Karnazes for example. The book follows his year-long journey towards his first attempt at the Spartathlon - vaguely following his emotional ups and downs, but largely avoiding the difficult internal questions to chart the history and development of marathon running. Inspiring stuff at the same.

• Options

Feeling good today, thanks Alex. Legs are doing ok, really itching for a run, but I'll wait until tomorrow.

Haven't run Dublin, although I think it's definitely one I'd receive approval for if I do it in the future. The wife is a big Guiness fan. All the best with the training.

• Options

Hi, been a bit busy but thought I'd pop back in for some cake and a chat.

I did talk to my BF about me doing Dublin and he thought it was a good idea and he offered to do his own version of a marathon and drink 26 pints of Guiness in the time it took me to run 26 miles.  I didn't think this was such a good idea as I wanted him to carry me back to the hotel not the other way round.

Did the Bupa 10k yesterday and got my 10k time down to 53:48.  Got a 5k on Thursday and a 10k on Sunday.  I am currently enjoying the shorter distances.

Well done SRM.

• Options

Welcome back Suze! Today, we have mars bar slice on offer.

I think you should defo do Dublin. It would be amazing - apparently the crowd support is second to none. And think! An autumn marathon. Perfect. Not sure about the 26 pints either though - perhaps he could drink a shot of Guinness for each mile you run?

Congrats on Bupa 10km! PB! PB! Love it how everyone on here's smashing their PBS over a quarter of the distance - definitely bodes well for sub-4:00.

Emailed Steve today and told him about Dublin plans... he's going to email in a few days with instructions on how to train until the 16 week pre-Dublin plan begins at the end of June/beginning of July. Will re-post on here!

SRM - please get your partnerial application form in to your wife asap. We're all going to need to start training in tandem shortly. Imagine the carb loading! And Guinness is a very rich source of iron.

I also feel we need some consistency on nutrition. I was getting all excited about being able to eat a form of cake on the run but it seems we agree they're not the answer? Sigh.

• Options
    Next up for me is making flapjacks but without the butter, thinking of soaking the oats in apple juice, adding dried bananas and honey. The last attempt was as dry as your drinks bottle in Paris Alex.
  • Options
    Ohhhh Kate that's pretty damn dry. I have a recipe without butter - try these (I won't be for a while after eating way too many in the lead up to Paris):

320g rolled oats
    1/3 cup plain flour
    100 mL vegetable oil
    200g mild honey (try 100g honey and 100g golden syrup for a deeper flavour)
    50g brown sugar
    2-3 tbsp smooth peanut butter (can be omitted)
    40g desiccated coconut

150-200g of assorted nuts and seeds (I used pepitas, sunflower seeds, pecans and almonds)
    150-200g assorted dried fruit (I like apricots, sultanas

Bake at 180 degrees for about 12 minutes - but check and see how golden you want them.

Good luck!
  • Options

Alex, glad to hear your getting back on the horse with the Dublin Marathon. glad you managed to clear it with the boyfriend, however what about work? i remember you saying that your boss was commenting on how they want the "olde alex" back for drinks.

SRM- surely the answer is mini snickers rather than mars, especially given their former name.

I'm glad to say, i am finally mentally over the marathon, not quite ready to commit yet to another however. Not a fan of hot weather running to be honest. However i did do a 14 trechous mile run last weekend, St Albans half marathon in two weeks. Havent done enough speed work or hill work. Oh well. I think after St Alban's i'll take three weeks off and then plan for the next 5km, then 10km, then half and possibly marathon.