Options

ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options

So if i am right both SRM and Alex are starting their marathon training today. Good luck and hope you can manage a perfect 5/5 training sessions this week.looking forward to the regular updates on how it is going.

Still havent doen any running since my half four weeks ago, planning to do some tonight. Good old run home.

• Options

So day 2 done, 3 miles at about 8.30m/m following yesterdays 3 miles at 9.20ish m/m and no complaints so far, just the left leg reminding me it's not overly happy with its quiet nagging. Hardly breaking the mileage bank image at the moment, but that'll come in time.

Learning a bit more about my Garmin and what it can do to as I've never used it to do anything other than map the run and give pace/heart rate, etc, so that's all good to.

• Options

Day 4 done and in the first week I've done more speedy work than I'd done in the entirety of my previous schedule. Strictly following the schedule so I'm not venturing into stuff I shouldn't be doing, I guess the Hal Higdon schedule I did had its main focus on base building. All good so far though. Only 118 days to go til race day image. It seems a long way off, but it'll fly by.

Decided to give the achy areas a bit of foam rolling last night, ITB, top of the calf and bottom of the hamstring. I guess it's the first time I've done it properly because it hurt like hell. What is that all about? Seems more like a medieval torture technique than something that can help get the body back to working correctly.

• Options
    what event are you doing SRM?
  • Options
    Frankfurt on the 30th Oct. Flat as a pancake by all accounts, although even a slight incline at 23 miles can dampen the spirits some what as I found at the Mittelrhein marathon in May. But as long as I train well and don't pick up any injuries then I will be in with a cracking chance of closing the gap to 4hr marathon running from my current PB of 4:28.
  • Options

Morning all - BV, have you done your first run after your half now? SRM, it will be interesting to compare the two programmes. Where's Alex, caught up in a baking and training whirlwind?

I'm hoping for a place on the North Downs Way marathon next month, left it a bit late and am on the waiting list, otherwise, horrors, I will have to wait until September for my next marathon.

• Options

Marathon running in August KF? Are you mad? image Then again, August in the UK is just as likely to be a washout as much as anything else.

Did my first hill repeat session at lunchtime, went for 4 x 1.30mins with 3min recovery but my hill wasn't quite long enough and I was probably running the repeats too quickly. Certainly couldn't have kept it up for much longer too but it was great fun.

Rest day tomorrow and a LSR of about 12 miles on Sunday. I've tried to do a longish run most Sundays since my last race so don't see the point in going with the 8 miler indicated on the program, especially as Monday is down as a rest day.

• Options
    Mid-way through week 2 of training, got a 5 miler today with the middle 3 at HM pace and a fartlek session tomorrow. Wonder how my Garmin is going to work that one out? Then a 10K on Sunday, should be interesting to see how that goes. I set my 10K PB over 2 years ago, although I ran a 5 mile race back in October last year that suggests if it had gone on for another 1.2 miles I'd have smashed it. 45mins is my target, 44.50 is my PB, if the legs feel good it's there for the taking image, but must remember to be sensible as well.
  • Options

I'm starting to really like this thread. Think I'll call it the "all about me" thread image

New 10K PB this morning through the drizzle of Kaiserslautern, quick course but why oh why does a bunch of 10 year old boys and slower runners feel the need to be at the front of the starting group. I nearly flatten one little lad as the person in front of me moved to one side and I accelerated, I had to slam the anchors on big style. Anyway unofficial time of 44min 10secs and still some left in the tank at the end so very happy teddy

• Options
    That is properly speedy SRM! Even early on the training seems to be paying off. Do you have any other races in the build up?
  • Options
    Hi Kate, training is going well so far, felt a bit tired Friday but I have to move the Saturday session forward a day to placate the family. I've plans for 2 or 3 more races before Frankfurt, although they'll be training runs and not raced as today's was. I've got a HM or 2 in September and a 30K trail run in St Wendel in October which will be my last LSR before taper. Looking forward to that workout in particular, I find trail running quite tough but very enjoyable.
  • Options

Just in case anyone is still around..........

Midway through week 4 of RW's Garmin Sub 3:45 program (which is my secret plan to get close to 4hrs), training is going well, although the love for LSR has waned somewhat. I'm enjoying the quick stuff, nice to have a workout that feels purposeful as opposed to grinding out mile after mile. Naturally, the grinding has its place and will be maintained and improved upon.

• Options
    Hello hello hello!

So sorry for absence - I thought I'd read my last unread post and was waiting for a notification from Runners' World! Have also been setting up a website based around... you guessed it... baking! Will post a pic of Friday's black forest cake after this post to whet your Sunday afternoon tea appetite...

Hope everyone's training's been going well. Kate - I think your next race is next weekend? I was supposed to do a Regent's park 10km this morning had such a late night last night and haven't had a chance to get a full night's sleep for AGES so packed it in (hadn't registered yet) and am about to set off now for 1 one mile warm up, 10km at 10km pace, and a 1 mile cool down. The program says I should be aiming for a 46 min 10km! Not sure if that's going to be possible - the plan says "if you're more than 2 mins over, you should reconsider your goals". Eek. Anyway, just started to bucket down with rain though so I might have to hold off for the moment.

As for training - I'm about to enter week 5 of the very detailed sub 3:45 plan (with demotivating / reality checks at frequent intervals as noted above). Training's been going well - I've been running in the mornings instead of the evenings and am finding it much easier to stick to the plan (as work can't interfere so much). Am also used to running on an empty (+ espresso) stomach now and don't get so tired later on in the day.

So, with greatest apologies for the temporary absence, how is everyone? How's training? What's the next goal?
  • Options

Welcome back Alex, is the plan the RW ultimate one or the Garmin? I'm on the 3.45 Garmin, really gets me to use more of the features of my 310XT.

Coming to the end of  2 weeks UK based training as we've come back to visit family and enjoy the lovely summer sunshine image. It finally showed itself today. Last week Rutland and Barry, 5 runs, longest distance was a hilly 9 miles to keep the family happy. The morning run is definitely my favourite, empty stomach, apparently helps the body adapt to fat burning which is what happens once the wall is reached.

This week Cornwall, love it down here and if it wasn't such a dead end place for kids I'd love to bring the family down here permanently. Something to think about in the future anyway. Running wise, it's fantastic, really just wish I had more time to spend finding new routes. Spent the day down at Perranporth beach, struck me as a great place to train for those 1-2 mile interval sessions in the close season.

Anyway, 3 miler easy tomorrow before we start the drive back to Germany on Saturday, stay over in Ashford before hitting the ferry Sunday morning, so no LSR this weekend either image. Will be dreaming of Black Forest cake tonight I thinks image

• Options

Welcome back Alex! Can't wait to see the website. My notifications have packed up so have had no idea of anything going on here. I am a big early morning fan, it gets the metabolism going and up to 12 miles without fuel is pretty achievable. Interesting to see how the pacing etc in the 3.45 plans will work out for you both.

Yes, I did a marathon last Saturday, I only got a place 6 days before after a mammoth day of boot camp, spin class and 3 hour run, so bad taper and intermittent training due to holidays and flu. The good thing about off road is the hills are a good excuse to be slow so 4.53 was OK. For the first time ever chatted to someone for 14 miles so completely forgot to eat so this one is marked up as a training run. Might do the Surrey Spitfire again in 4th Sept if you fancy another go at it Alex?

Pleased to hear things are going wellish despite lack of sleep and travel commitments.

• Options

Howdy everyone, hope everyone is well.

All these early birds on here make me feel quesy. I can't stomach a run unless i have been awake 1.5 hours which makes running before work impossible. My body, legs and head just refuse unless i have two cups of coffee, some fibre and gallon of water to flush away the drowsiness. I have always been a night owl prefering to run into a sea of car headlights rather than the sound of birds at sunrise. Speed session in particular i find impossible at 6 am.

Despite saying that i was going to start running in my last message - i never did. Although i have been working on my core. Various amounts of grunts and uncomprimising lunging, squatting etc etc which should pay off once i go back to being a proper runner rather than just being a weekend half assed jogger. I was always scraed of  starting this kind of activity during my marathon training as i did not want to cause additional soreness. Now its part of teh routine should be fine.

I don't know whether its the weather but signs are there that my body is starting to feel compel to run again. i think i'm officially back in training - even did a loathsome sprint session, a clear sign that i ready to accept the pain rather than just the pleasure.

Alex - lets us know the link of your new website. oh and i'm still aiming for the canal half marathon in november. i assume im going have to wear a pair of old trainers as it will be muddy.

• Options

First LSR in a month and I wasn't looking forward to it. Only 15 miles and although the first 9 miles weren't much fun, I finally got into it and even put in a quicker last 2 miles. Yesterdays run was much better, turned out to be nearly 7 miles in total with a 1.1 mile warm up, 1.7 miles warm down and 4 miles @ an average of 7.33 min/miling.

Welcome back BV, glad you're getting your running mojo back. Early morning runs really are the bees knees and it means my running doesn't impact too much on family.

• Options
    Hello hello! Sorry - notifications packed up again (like yours Kate!) and had a significant birthday to celebrate for most of last week so I've been a bit lax again.

Running, though, has continued (SRM - I'm doing the ultimate 3:45). I did the Purple Patch Maidenhead half this morning - which was a really lovely run, and excellently organised, aside from the bag collection strategy, which was seriously compromised by the pouring rain. It started bucketing down around 16km, and I mean really bucketing down - it was like running through sheets of water. My contact lenses started to feel water logged, I was being blown sideways by oncoming wind, and queueing for bags at the end, standing still in more drizzle, didn't help. But I made it, albeit with sodden sneakers, in 1:49, which was only one minute more than my PB from about week 12 of marathon training for Paris - and I'm only in week 8, so I'm happy. Also, I realised that I ran my first half less than a year ago (Run to the Beat) in 1:57. Following a marathon plan works wonders for half times!

Anyway I'm now looking for a 20 miler in a few weeks' time. Considering doing the Truro half, and perhaps Oxford? And did I tell you I got terribly lost again on last weekend's LSR? I was convinced I didn't need to look at my map until 18km, when I would get off the canal, but got off the canal, looked at my map, and discovered I should have come off at 15km. I was meeting a friend at her new house, so had to get her to pick me up once I'd done 27km (which was supposed to be 25km). Oops. Could something be wrong with (or missing from) my brain?

Anyway, hope today's Spitfire went well Kate - did you miss me this time? I actually considered doing it when they emailed a few months back, but declined as I was due to run a half on this week's schedule. I'm a big schedule follower.

In exciting news, my BF is moving back from Abu Dhabi at the end of October... just in time for the Dublin marathon! So he'll be shouting and offering drinks (I've asked for a full mini bar after the dehydration disaster that was Paris) around mile 20 along with his mum, who is likely to be in tears, crying "Oh ALEX you're so BRAVE." I can't wait. I'd run 20 miles for that any day.

Anyway, hope you are all well. Events news please!

Barry, lace up your trainers. I'm running the canal too and I won't have you lagging behind.

A slice of cake for you all!

p.s. website not quite ready for general distribution yet - will let you know as soon as, don't worry
  • Options

Morning - well done on the half Alex! Good news Mr Alex is moving over, and what good timing.

Didn't do the Spitfire yesterday, have had a niggly calf for a few weeks so 20 miles on the road felt like a bad idea, so went for a 19 miler in the countryside early yesterday instead, to top off my biggest ever mileage week at 65 (hmm, not so sensible then). Next marathon is 2 weeks away, the Farnham Pilgrims which I loved last year, it's a little bit hilly so no time pressure. Then 6 weeks after is Beachy Head, and then just need to find one more before the end of the year.

Have a good week of working, baking and training.

• Options

Well done Alex and Kate, take care of that calf Kate.

Alex - I know you were carrying some injuries in the build up to Paris, but how do you feel the Ultimate and Garmin schedules compare?

Another 15 miler yesterday increasing the pace from 7 miles, making it 42 miles for the week. It's been tough fitting it in as I've been on a course at work and lunchtime training goes out of the window, so it's up and out early to get the training in. Managed to catch up on the missed sleep though, Computer Networks is not an interesting subject Zzzzzzzzzz image

• Options

Yes well done and be careful Kate. You're more insane by the minute, but I love it.

SRM - I'm not sure how the contents of the plan differ as such - although I do feel I've been doing higher mileages sooner. I think the main thing is the monthly 'aims' they give you. I've got to aim for a sub-1:45 half this month! Bloody hell!

Anyway, I think training's going better this time around for a number of reasons - more mileage (thanks to less injury so far, touch wood, although i do feel as though I'm about to enter 'injury zone' and am going to be super careful with my ITB eg. foam rolling and ensuring rest days are observed), but also training in the morning, having many many more miles behind me simply by virtue of having already trained for one marathon, allowing myself more flexibility in terms of the order in which I do a week's sessions, and not having Steve in my head telling me that now i've started at a fast pace, I must continue (that happened in my pre-marathon half, which, although a PB, was faster than usual mainly because I started out fast and then feared Steve's reaction if he saw from my splits that I'd slowed down - he was big on maintaining a constant pace).

Steve's track sessions last time around were encouraging, but I was also the slowest person, so at times a little demotivating. And it meant having to miss my running club for the whole 16 weeks - which i am really really enjoying being back at now. So there are a lot of factors, including experience i.e. I know how terrible the last 3km felt, and i am determined not to go through that again.

How are you finding it?

• Options

I'm following the 3.45 Garmin schedule but my target is 4hrs. That said that'll mean an improvement of 28mins which may be asking a lot. I'm enjoying it, I struggle to stick to the indicated paces, in that I run quicker on the interval/tempo sessions which surely must be a good thing if it doesn't affect the recovery. Next Sunday will be a big test though, 18 miler @ MP, but then if I can't do that then a sub 4hr probably isn't on the horizon.

Another question for you then Alex, having run an overseas marathon. Refuelling? Did Paris provide energy drinks/snacks that you could get in the UK? I'll probably be lugging around my own again as I haven't been able to track down the brand Frankfurt will be using, although may try a camelback this time rather than my Inov8 waistbelt thing.

The end is certainly no fun and as people kept telling me after my last attempt which ended in a "poor" 14 min PB (I got over myself eventually and realised I had made progress), if 26.2 miles was easy then everyone would do them. It hurts because it's a hard thing to do, but I was already questioning myself at the start line. Next time, I'll try to banish the doubts and just run and take in the experience

• Options

Interestingly, the ultimate schedule doesn't really ask you to do LSRs at marathon pace, which I recall the regular garmin plan does. I remember Steve saying that that was quite an innovation (i.e training at marathon pace - although sounds perfectly logical to me) and a little bit controversial. The ultimate plan refers to marathon pace as 'steady' (I think) and usually has me doing only my long mid week runs at that pace. Am currently reading Paula's book too (How to Run), which says make sure you do your Sunday runs slow, and to resist the tempation to do them at marathon pace. I wonder why so much difference of opinion? Any ideas anyone?

Re fuelling - I planned to do my own nutrition in Paris, but to rely on the organisers for rehydration from half way. Silly mistake that, wasn't it? In Dublin I will carry a donut bottle for the first half as I did last time, then pick up a second one from my BF / his mum on the way around. This relies on me seeing them and them being ready for handover, but I suspect the water situation will be better organised in Dublin anyway.

In Paris they also did half bananas. WHICH IS RIDICULOUS AS THE NEXT FEW YARDS OF THE COURSE WERE COVERED IN BANANA PEELS. It was like a Roadrunner cartoon. And then cider and cake towards the very end but I was focusing on not having a heart attack at that point so ignored them completely. I ate jellybeans on the way around that I'd packed in my bumbag. This may have been silly as I calculated the night before that I hadn't planned to eat enough and needed to shovel more in. Think on the day I shouldn't have tried to eat so many. This time might try to do homemade flapjacks? Although they're a bit sticky. Anyone tried glucose tablets?

Paris also offered lucozade as they were a sponsor, and some kind of gel, but I didn't want to rely on them so took my own. You do definitely get a silly brain while you're running though - the number of times I've considered taking things I'd usually steer clear of! NB this sounds as though people were handing out hard drugs - I can confirm that offerors were limited to jelly babies and orange quarters (beurrrk).

• Options

I think I'll split Sunday's LSR into sections of 6 miles and run each section a bit quicker. I was meant to be running a HM on Saturday, but the organisers have had to change it to a 10K due to road restrictions and the problem is I know I won't hold myself back which could impact on Sunday's run if I go for it. So I'm of the mind to leave Saturday and just focus on Sunday, but I'll probably change my mind......... again image

I tried a glucose tablet several years ago whilst playing golf, had me buzzing, ripping up the fairways. The Greenkeeper was not a happy bunny.

I agree it sounds logical to do longer MP runs, but if we're talking a month or two to recover after a marathon you can't afford to take several days break in training. A 50/50 or 40/60 split seems much more sensible. The Garmin plan tends to have a longish mid week run, this week is 10 miles and to me that would be the right one to do at MP.

• Options

I agree with that SRM - I guess you don't need to be doing 26.2 miles at MP until the day anyway - seems to me that you just need to build up so you're ready on day 7 of week 16 of training!

Might try a glucose tablet this weekend. Also, have Pro Plus caffeine tablets, but suspect they'll just make my heart race and cause a heart attack. Anyone tried dried bananas?

• Options
    The problem with glucose tablets is you need water with them.it's a bit like eating four crackers at once without it.spitting sawdust. U need to eat one every fifteen mins. Interesting that the ultimate doesn't include mp on lsr, I didn't do any mp on my lsr and I thought that was a mistake.
  • Options

Had a tough weekend just gone, a 10K road race on Saturday and LSR on Sunday. In a way it was a good thing because it tested the mental side a bit. Still feeling a bit jaded so will mix the training around this week so today is fairly easy and do the intervals later in the week.

Race wise, it went well. It was meant to be a HM but they couldn't get approval for the course so I wasn't going to run it, but work got in the way last week and I missed 2 days running, so decided on Friday that I would. Warm day and giving it a good blast, I finished in 41.43, but I and several others measured the course a third of a mile short, so I'm using a revised time of 44.10, still a new PB. There's no way I could maintain a sub 6.42min/mile pace........ yet image

Should have been 18 miles on Sunday, managed 17.66 which was close enough in just under 2hrs 50. If I hadn't done the 10K the day before, it wouldn't have been a problem and if I hadn't had to share my drink with the guy who ran with me because he didn't bring any then I would have done the lot. I'm now calling myself the waterboy, but told him the next time he's on his own!!!

Next Sunday's LSR will be a 50/50 pace split, first 9 @ 9.30-9.40 pace, 2nd 9 @ 9.00 pace.

• Options

Nice one SRM - I did 18 miles on Sunday too! Found it really hard from about 8 miles - my route was an out and back, which is always a bit disheartening, and there was hot sun and a strong head wind on my way back. I got home with extremely sore legs / knees / feet and hid under a blanket on the couch, surrounded by drinks and bananas, watching Australia's Biggest Loser for the next two hours. The funny thing was that I wasn't sore at all yesterday! At all.

Running club tonight - I'm moving up to a faster group, so a bit nervous, but excited all the same.

Am supposed to do a half this Sunday (supposed to be aiming for 1:45 according to the schedule - extremely unlikely to happen given my PB is 1:48) and the only one I can find is in Truro! 

Had breakfast and a really good catch up with Ally (Kryptonite, sub 3:30 Super Sixer) this morning - she's barely been running at all, but cycling loads and loads.

Have a good Tuesday everyone! 

• Options

Just back from an easy 4.5 miler, averaging 9.15 ish and felt very comfortable. 

Truro is quite a hilly HM from what I've been told. I have family down that way and it is definitely one that I'll do sometime in the future.

Did Ally say why she wasn't running?

• Options

Ack hills!

Think she was just a bit fed up by the end - she's done quite a few marathons now and has been enjoying the cycling. She organised a charity cycle at her work shortly after Paris which I think she really enjoyed... bit of an all 'round sportswoman too.

Crumbly glucose tablets sound terrible - think I will try dried bananas. I had two or three jellybeans on Sunday's run and even that was nearly too much. And to think you're supposed to eat a whole packet an hour!