ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• I thought it might be a loss of running mojo, was definitely there myself after my first marathon. If things go to plan over the next 7 weeks I'm hoping that I can take my foot off the gas a bit for November and December, recharge ready for another assault next year image

Without doubt, nutrition/hydration is my biggest concern, I don't really want to carry my own but I feel I have no option. Just been reviewing the weather for the previous 29 Frankfurt marathons, interesting to see they caught the tail end of some of the American hurricanes in the earlier years, similar to the beating the UK was taking over the weekend.

• Hello all - impressive training and times. Glucose tablets are horrid, dried bananas are lovely if you can cope with dried fruit. I am completely converted onto Shot Blocks, not too much gunk in them and they don't leave a sugary residue on your teeth. Have to cut them in half first though.

Truro seems a bit extreme to get a half in Alex! Taper madness week for me this week, he's back.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/474980/Gallery/Tapir_1378406i_2.jpg

• Kate, I love it. I was missing him. You're not a big taperer though are you?

I tried some shot bloks pre-Paris but found them a mouthful. Literally. Love your idea of cutitng in half so am defo going to try that - I am a massive jelly fan in any case.

You're totes right re Truro - but need to simulate race conditions so I run really fast for 13.1 miles on Sunday! Eeek!

• I'm really impressed by you all running your long runs at race pace, do you make sure you find somewhere flat for the whole course? I seem to find hills irresistible which brings my average right down.
  • I've delurked especially to ask if you have tried this half marathon for sunday:

http://www.kettering.gov.uk/downloads/Cransley_Entry_form_pg1_1_.pdf

I think the closing date is today and you can enter on the day if there are spaces. Bit nearer to you than Truro.

best wishes

back to lurking and admiring all your efforts from afar!

H

• H! Thank you a million times! This is perfect - an hour on the train from St Pancras (Paddington is disproportionately hard to get to) and a late (11am) start. Thank you thank you thank you!

Even more conveniently I am meeting friends for afternoon tea in Kings Cross.

(will I see you there...?)

• I'm back! PB at Cransley despite the (unexpected) hills - 1:48! Pretty happy with that - and thanks again H for alerting me to the race. It was definitely one of my favourite races - firstly, I had emailed last week to ask about registering on the day as the first train from London got to a town 15 mins away at 10.15 and the race started at 11am. I got there about twenty to, apologised for my train being late, and the lovely ladies behind the registration desks said 'oh YOU'RE the train lady! We were worried you hadn't made it!'

Then there was the route - lovely rolling hills through small villages and alongside fields - impressively most of the half marathon route was closed roads - and as it was out and back up and down continuous hills, we all had a chance to say hi and encourage the ones coming up / going down the hill towards us. Lots of people said 'go girl!' and one guy I overtook ascending a hill said 'you're looking strong! keep going!'. Then, about 3 km from the end, a girl of about 8 called out 'I LOVE YOUR TRAINERS!' which was very heartening so close to the end.

Km splits were pretty consistent too - between 4:45 (last km) and 5:30 the whole way, with an average of about 5:12/km I think. It felt really good too - I definitely had runners' high for the first 10 miles, and am not sore today at all.

In short, I thoroughly recommend this race for next year. Even the taxi drivers to and from were lovely, and assured me that this was a very running focused area!

How was everyone else's weekend training?

• image I feel like a proud virtual running buddy, glad Northamptonshire was kind to you. Great time. Hope all goes well for the rest of your marathon prep.

H

• Well done Alex on the PB and I've made a note to run this sometime in the future.

Found out that I got 2nd "winner" for my age group in my 10K last weekend. Obviously my colleagues have reminded me that 2nd winner is actually the first loser image I'm happy enough, 11th out of a field of 375, although there were an awful lot of fun runners. Still probably the best I'll ever achieve in a race image

18miles again yesterday, was meant to be 9 at an easy pace, 9 at MP, but there was nothing in the tank so just kept plodding the miles out. I'm at peak mileage for the program so I'm starting to feel tired. Just need to keep plugging away though, only 6 weeks to go image

• Well done SRM! You should definitely bask in the glory of single digit results - Paula always mentions her place so there's no reason why you shouldn't.

I know what you mean about being tired. My legs are so much better at recovering now, but I still wonder whether they're just going to conk out one day. I'm on 20 this weekend, then 21 the following!  And then another 20m (when I'm doing the Royal Parks half so will have to map a 7 mile route home afterwards), then 18m, 12m and I'm done. Well, I have to run 26.2, but that's all.

EEK

• That's a lot of long long ones in a row! 
  • Well done SRM and train lady! Were your trainers the ones with flashing lights Alex?

Farnham Pilgrims for me on Sunday, forgot just how hilly the second half is (and was told off for underselling the hills to another forumite) but it was just as good as last year and 32 mins off my time to a 4.18, so very pleased. Legs felt heavy yesterday on a slow 5 miler, then did a spin class to flush them out so hopefully OK for track tonight.

USB, I've not been keeping up with your thread sorry, how are things going for you?

• No problem Kate.  It is very much like a blog with loads of views but not many comments.

Latest news is a twisted ankle on Saturday (I knew I should have gone to Cransley and not Woodstock) so dropped out so that I didn't completely wreck it before Abingdon.  If progress continues I may try a run tomorrow

• No running for the past 2 days, Monday was a XT day and yesterday I went to the Frankfurt Motorshow, so spent the day climbing over shiny new cars. A rubbish night's sleep last night makes me think that the 16 by 200m with 200m recoveries are going to hurt when I pop out and do them soon. Oh, to go back to bed and veg out.
  • Oh no B! How long do you have to sit with your feet up?

Amazeballs time Kate - well done! Such a good feeling to get a PB. How did you cope with track?

Moved up a group at my running club last night - fortunately it wasn't a baptism of fire as many of the runners are doing Run to the Beat this Sunday so were taking it relatively easy. Next week also likely to be slowish... so am apprehensive about the one afterwards!

Good luck with the intervals SRM - at least they're only short ones. I'm on 5m fartlek tomorrow morning...

• The intervals turned out to be quite refreshing, although give it another 30mins and I'll be slumped across my work desk snoozing image

Well done on your race KF, you're bouncing back from it well if you're doing 5miles and a spinning class so quickly afterwards. The only thing I done for the week after a race is eat, sleep and eat some more image

Chin up USB, got to keep thinking them positive vibes

• SRM - I really rather like the 200m reps image

Alex - I'm simply taking things day by day with the ankle.  It felt fine when I woke up but walking from car park to office produced a proper ache so I decided that another rest day was in order.  I think I ought to be painfree without any drugs before I try running on it.  I do already have physio booked for next week which was supposed to be a general review so he'll be able to work on the ankle instead if needed

I may distract myself with some baking tonight image

• Good idea B, and sorry to hear it's a slow process. I'm making Nigel Slater's midsummer cake this evening - a lovely almondy lemony cake with fresh peaches and blueberries, and some white chocolate cookies, all to take to my aunt and uncle's tomorrow evening. I suspect approximately a quarter of the cookie dough and several spoonfuls of cake mix will go atray along the way...
  • I'm sticking to his recipe for seed cake but am going to try it in muffin cases to make a few small cakes to take to the MiL on Saturday
  • Hey the baking is back! USB, hope the ankle sorts itself out, you're aiming for a speedy one with Abingdon. I've only got Beachy Head left this year so am having a little ponder over Florence at the end of November......

Track last night was OK, 8.5 miles total as I ran there and back, sandwich session of 2 x 800, 4 x 400, 2 x 800 and 5 miles this morning. So, should be back to it with a longer run in the morning. SRM, if I get out of the running loop I am grumpy, and as I eat enough for a rugby team in hard training I have to keep going so my insides don't become 100% cheese, wine and cake! Hope you managed to stay awake this afternoon.

What was your session with your new speedy group Alex?

• Kate I think you should definitely ponder Florence. I know someone who's done it in the past and apparently it's just beautiful.

Tuesday nights are Tempo Tuesday. We ran about 5 miles down to the Thames, then along the southbank for a bit and back across the Millennium Bridge. Speedy all the way.

7 miles fartlek tomorrow morning! Am so terrible at being spontaneous that I'm secretly just going to do 1 mile warm up jog, then 3 x 1.5 miles fast + 400m jog intervals, then 1 mile cool down jog. And early early early as I have a con call at work first thing tomorrow morning (at least they won't be able to SEE my beetroot face).

• Stupid o clock is the way to go! I will be out by 6am tomorrow too so we can share the pain, very amusing that the fartlek can't defeat your organised nature.

• Florence is lovely Kate.  The Duomo actually made my jaw drop!

The plan was to go for a pB etc at Abingdon and training was going well even with a 2 week holiday in the second half of August when I just did short runs.  Last 20 miler was supposed to be done this coming Sunday.  Will have to see what happens and if I can't do it discuss with steve what the best thing to do is

• Sounds brilliant, off to persuade Mr F he wants a weekend away to carry my malt loaf.....

Let's hope the cake has ankle mending properties.

• In more best half marathon ever news, I just got home to find a small third place trophy through the letterbox! I was the third senior lady! And here was I thinking I was 14th. Absolutely stoked.
  • MMmmmmmmm, malt loaf, food of the Gods image

21 miles today, felt much better than the 18 last week. Had a good week of training although the motivation was lacking prior to some of the sessions. Cut back week now, with a long run of 15, 13 of which I hope to hit race pace. If not, reassess and draw up plan B.

• Well done SRM.

I did 20 miles yesterday, which were hard, but I think that was probably as I'd spent the previous 2 hours jumping up and down and screaming my head off cheering for friends running the Run to the Beat half.

Still confused about why I was running long runs at marathon pace for Paris, but am now running long runs at 'slow' pace.

• I'm about 30 - 40 secs slower than MP in my LSR's. My run next week is meant to be a HM race, but rather than enter a race I thought it'd be a good chance to practice race pace. 13 miles at 9min/mile would be more beneficial than 13 miles at 7.30min/mile, so slower running really. I guess it's all a confidence thing trying to get close to what I would like to be my pace for the main event image and to be honest I need it after my 3 previous attempts at the distance.

Does the jumping up and down for 2 hrs yesterday count as plyometric training? That's impressive before a 20 miler image

• Haha thanks - starting to feel my calves now though, although that might have been powerplate this morning. I really just did the class so I could do the vibey massagey bit at the end.

SRM - I agree that doing 13 miles non stop at race pace is a good idea. I really wish I knew what running at different paces was developing inside my legs.

On that note, anyone else find it hard to keep toned arms when you're just doing so much bloody running instead?

• When your arms are nothing more than glorified pendulums when you run, then  your bound to lose muscle on them. The one problem with being a runner is that you will never be to use an expression from my teenager years "buff". Look at all those professional runners they look like twigs.

So Alex, would you rather have toned arms or sub 4hr (poss 3:45) marathon?