ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Was that with your club Alex?  I'm finding that there are weeks when I just have to accept that I will need to do sessions on my own in order to do what is needed.
  • Yup - we met at the track but ended up doing a road run instead. Their track session is now scheduled for Thursday, but I'm going to do my intervals on the treadmill tonight.

Any thoughts on the use of ITB straps? There was some chat last night of rolling being quite controversial i.e. causing bruising and therefore more doing harm than good...

• good luck with the intervals - remember start gently - yesterday's session was quite hard and almost counts as speedwork and usualy best to avoid two hard days days on the trot but as on treadmill, it should be better for your legs
  • Okey doke - thanks for the advice Steve.

Might pop an extra physio appointment in the diary for the end of this week too...

• Actually Steve I think I will read in to your advice and do an easy run tonight, with speed tomorrow night instead.

I have just presented my running shoes to the lady at Runners' Need for her assessment and she declared them well and truly worn out. It only took six months to wear them out this time! Totally unexpected. And may explain the knee problem...

• My mileage for 2010 was the equivalent of more than 3 pairs of my shoes
  • That's wise Alex to go faster tomorrow and also wise to change your shoes, which could well explain the knee problem

- 3 months is probably the average wear and tear on a shoe though if you rotate 4 pairs, they may last a year!

• Alex - I often have 3 on the go with varying mileage.  I realised there was a point where I started to get an ankle niggle so changed shoes and since then I always change them at around that mileage

Edited to take out the bit asking Steve to look at my thread as he was there while I was here!

• Hi Alex S

You look the spitting image of an ex-housemate of mine. She was a burgeoning runner too with a great spirit, so I will be following your thread with interest!

Good luck on the Sub-4.

• Tried out my new shoes and in-soles on the treadmill for this week's speed session tonight. Cardio-wise, it felt fine - the 1km intervals were a bit tough, with only 200m in which to recover each time (and five times!) but towards the end I lengthened my strides, pumped up the volume and made it through.

I could feel my ITB at various points, but spent ten minutes non-stop foam rolling this evening when I got home and the physio is booked for tomorrow morning. I'm wondering - is it ok to foam roll an ITB that's already a bit sore?

A gentle 3 mile pre-work run around Dalston tomorrow morning should take some of that bright white sheen off my new shoes...
  • Well done Alex  - presume your reps were faster than 5:30 ?

I would have thought foam rolling won't cause a problem and should actually help as long as it's not agony when you go in.

• Thanks Steve - yup, run intervals were 5:15, jogs were much slower at 6:30. And I'm just back from 3 miles this morning at 5:45.

On the ITB - those ten minutes on the roller last night (timed with a stop watch so I couldn't cheat and roll off) helped enormously. I think new shoes and insoles may have done the trick too.

And I stepped in a puddle so those bright white trainers aint so bright anymore.
  • Hello everyone and well done Alex on getting through to the super 6!!!

I am following this thread every day and taking in all the tips and advice on offer..so thank you very much everyone. I did my first marathon last year at Brighton....was aiming at round the 4 hour ish mark and all was sailing along marvellously when I got major IT problems at about mile 14 and basically hobbled all the way to the end and finished in 4.31. After all my hard work I was gutted that the olde body didn't stand up on the most important day. Anyway I was booked in for the Abingdon marathon last October and about a month before that marathon a slipped a disc in my back and all the running and training came to an abrupt stop! Again very disappointing. So I have not been able to run since then and just in the last 2/3 weeks I have donned my trusty old running shoes and have been.....well would like to say pounding the pavements around Blackheath/Greenwich but to be honest it really is more of a veeryyyyy slow jog at the moment just to see how the back holds out. So far its ok...just the odd ache. I am booked in for the Brighton marathon again this April...I re entered straight away as I just knew I didn't have a cat in hells chance of getting into the London marathon...its now been 3 years on the trot that I haven't got a place which is disappointing as I live virtually over looking the start line and so it would be great to be part of it. But I still stand out there and cheer and clap every runner past until the very last one to give all my support for the next 26+ miles to come.

I hope to get to Brighton in April although I do feel like I am starting as a complete novice again. So we will see. Anyway enough of my rambling on . Thank you for the cake ideas Alex....I would love to participate but 1. I can't bake!!!! and 2. I need to lose the weight I have put on since I had to stop running!!!!

Anyway happy Friday all and good luck with all your runs this weekend.

x

• Alex

Those reps show your speed levels are good so it has to be building endurance that is the key for you to break four and a good run this morning even if it got your shoes dirty.

Hopefully ITB will be ok over weekend

• Hi guys (and welcome Marmalade!)

Just back from 18km along the canal to Regents Park, around the Park and back via the extended uphill battle that is Pentonville Rise. I tried to keep the first half slow as per the schedule (6:30/km), but ended up averaging between 5:45 and 6:30, then felt great for the second half and kept up a pretty steady pace between 5:30 and 5:45. My ITB niggled from the outset, but warmed up and was fine by the time I reach the park and started eating jelly beans - to which I attribute how great the journey home felt! The whole trip took 1:45.

Now off to the Tate after some double chocolate tart (photo to come).

Happy running!
  • Good running - probably needed more contrast and more control on the first half but encouraging that you ran the second half at around 4 hour marathon pace and good that the ITB warmed up and you felt strong. Well done. Enjoy the cake!
  • Oh this is getting very mathmatical, I still work in miles and keep getting a shock when I see you doing 5.30's! That's Paula territory!!!

Banana and seed muffins again this weekend.

• Know what you mean jmc...although i work in km's too so its great for me as normally I'm having to do the sums!!!

• The physio just put needles in my knee and ITB.... eek!

Sorry about the maths - but I did just find this great website that does the pace conversion for you: http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/KilometersperHour/ToMilesperHour.htm

To convert that to speed, divide 60 by the pace.  

I think.

• Hi Alex - going through the wars with your ITB aren't you??    Well my news is I finished up with my physio today after 6 appts and some calf muscle.  My first appt she also did 'dry needling' - she explained my calf muscle was so swollen/full of scar tissue etc she couldn't get into it - and the needle in the muscle kids the body that it is being injured (err...it is...) and so it sends bloody there...and makes it possible for her to massage.  Was a bit sore the next day, but no ill effects.    I realise she may have given me the Janet & John explanation tho....!

The Furst 3 x week programme has got a 20 mile run in it this week....image

Think it's time to get my Camelbak rinsed out...!

• That sounds like the explanation I had!

On a positive note, I had months and months of seemingly uncurable hamstring pain, only to have it disappear after three sessions of dry needling. Success! Fingers crossed it works on the ITB, although I'm not sure the principle's the same.

Chocolate cookies in the oven!
  • Am sure I'd end up even fatter if I had that kind of baking habit...

Meant to ask, have you got 1 or 2 half marathons lined up in the next couple of months?  I'm doing Watford in 3 weeks - wondered what others are up to?

• Anything to take my mind off dry needling. It proves running marathons can be a piece of cake but that picture takes the biscuit and shows you're a tough cookie but a bit of a smartie too.
  • Oh god...what a great time to find this thread!

Hi Alex. Great news on you getting through as 1 of the Supers image Good luck with your training, sounds like everything is going well so far and that you're well on target. Hope your ITB problem doesn't get any worse and that foam rolling is a great help.  I'm just glad you found out about it early on before it causes too many problems, as my ITB  story didn't have a good ending....overtraining, lack of stretching and worn trainers....seems you've covered these areas so you've nothing to worry about....apart from running 26.2 miles that is!

Anyways, I shall be following your thread like the others, with great interest as it has been a lifelong (well, since the start of my running) dream of mine to run a sub 4 marathon. I came no-where near in 2009 with 4:36, but that included a toilet stop at mile 18 (there was a long queue). It was my first attempt at marathon distance and rather naively thought that 3 (half hearted) training runs per week and only 1 x 20 miler would be sufficient - who was I kidding? (self)

Your approach is much more determined, structured and sensible and that is what will see you through to success. Hope this time, I can say the same...I'm doing London the weekend after your Paris run so will be a week behind you....it shall be interesting to read ahead about what to expect the following week!!!

Oh, and thx Steve for tips. At least the paces you gave earlier in the thread are what I'm reaching at the moment...there is hope for me yet image

Can I count this first (long-ish) post as 10? That means I'm entitled to a cookie already.