Options

ASICS Super Six: Alex (Sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for link Alex.

I've only booked the Sleaford Half Marathon so far, but I have various night races and mud runs booked to keep my fun levels up!
  • Options
    Alex came along with Alison (Kryptonite) tonight to my group track session and both did really well running a mile, then 7 x 400, then a mile at a much faster pace than I thought they would and I think both sort of enjoyed running with a group (we had around 35) and on a fast track in good conditions. Very encouraged by the speed and effort shown.
  • Options

I can confirm that I ran faster last night than I would run on a speed session!

It felt great lengthening my stride and being pulled ahead by Steve's speedy runners, the track was lovely and springy, and I think the whole session greatly increased both Alison's and my confidence.

As for the ITB - one friendly runner showed me his magic stretch that cured him of four years of pain - essentially a simple hip flexor stretch, but with a slight inward angling of the leg on which you kneel.

Steve - you left before I could hand over some biscuits! Thanks again for having us.

• Options
    Well done shame I missed the biscuits - - don't overdo it togay - run slower than planned at the start and just go for time on feet rather than speed as legs will be a little tired.
  • Options

Just back from 7 miles up and down the Thames and although cardio-wise I felt as though I could have run forever, my god my ITB hurt, especially at about 5 miles. I managed to run through it, but have now taken nurofen and am cycling home to ice, stretch, and foam roll it.

Frustrating.

• Options

Stretch it well and perhaps take a day off tomorrow if it doesn't feel right in the morning.

• Options

Hey Alex - also back from pounding along the Thames this afternoon/evening.   If you saw some bloke looking like he wanted this run to be OOOOVVVVEEERRRR...that was me.  Furst training plan had a 20m run in at marathon pace + 1min i.e. 10 min miles.   Not a hope.  Kept pace to mile 14, but then became more like 11min/miles.   Still..got to Fri or Sat to recover.   

Steve/Alex - curious about what the pace was for the 7 x 400's + mile afterwards.

Holymoly - good pressure on Alex...don't forget these loyalty cookies we'll be requiring from you after you smash 4 hours image

• Options
    Haha I had better start a database with everyone's contact details and record how many cookies should be sent to each person, post-smashing!

My average pace for the 400s was about 4:30/km (which is 7:14/mile) - much faster than I'd usually run, much. Some laps were at a fast steady pace the whole way around, others varied between fast and slow.

Lots of stretching and rolling tonight have seen vast improvements in my ITB - I just hope it doesn't hurt so much next time.

Steve, I'm booked in to a 45 minute pump class tomorrow morning (to strengthen those muscles letting down my ITB) and will do my 1 mile + 3 miles + 1 mile on Friday morning instead. Park run on Saturday morning, and the furthest I've ever run on Sunday!

And physio (with more needling I hope) on Friday.

In conclusion, I say NO to ITB pain.
  • Options
    How far have you got on Sunday Alex?
  • Options

It was actually 8 x 400s and both your starting and finishing miles were inside 8 minutes.

As you have done such a good session, I am bit concerned about the combined Friday, Saturday and Sunday runs on top of that  so think it should probably be a choice between the Friday and Saturday as a little bit similar so if you want to do the parkrun take an extra day's rest on Friday. Sunday is the more important one though.

• Options

Let's start a friendly protest for Alex...."NO to ITB pain"

I'll start on the placards.

....and good morning all image

Sounds like you had a storming track session - well done.

• Options
    Alex - which knee is suffering the ITB by the way? After track work, I find my left knee suffers terribly. It could be due to going round the track in the same direction constantly, at a faster than normal pace.
  • Options

Holymoly you're right - it was my left knee! I did consider asking if we could run half of the session the other way around the track, but then realised I'd have to go and ask all of the other training groups to do so as well.

A bit sore after pump this morning so I've taken nurofen and will be diligently rolling around and stretching later tonight.

Steve - you're right, I will see how my knee feels tomorrow morning and then either do my 1m + 3m + 1m then, or do my parkrun on Saturday.

Question: is it ok to run (with pain), then roll and stretch, then ice? Or should I ice immediately after running? And is cycling / spinning beneficial or detrimental to ITB issues? I have a feeling it's good for strengthening the bum muscle that's been letting my ITB down, but then again perhaps the cycling also aggravates the pain?

• Options

I think you are right Holymoly. I shall copy and paste this as it words it quite well....."ITB problems are common in runners who perform unbalanced, repetitive exercise such as running only on one side of a crowned road, or only running one way around a track. And as most roads slope off to the sides and running along the edge causes to the outside foot to be lower than the inside foot. This in turn causes the pelvis to tilt to one side and stresses the IT band"

When I had my ITB issues the main treatment by my physio was R.I.C.E  Rest, ice, compression and elevation bit I appreciate that the Rest bit is difficult to do when you are traning for a marathon!!!! I also had ultrasound and a sort of foam rolling but instead using the physio's elbows to do the job!!!!...ouch!!!!...(husband also helped out with this which I think he seemed to particularly enjoy when he saw how painful it was!!!!!)

Anyway it also ended up that I needed orthotics as this was contributing to the problem too!! Who said running was a cheap hobby????!!!!!!

IT Band Friction Syndrome doesn't have to be a chronic, debilitating problem. A little bit of prevention and careful diagnosis of the cause can lead to a complete and full recovery

• Options

Ideally on track running it's a good idea to warm up slowly and run clockwise (getting to the session well before start time) and then do some warm up laps aggain running clockwise in the outside lanes to slightly counter balance running on the track.

I am presuming though that Alex hadn't done much track running prior to this Tuesday so that isn't what started the ITB pain.

I don't think running with pain is good. I would prefer ice first after a run and then stretch/band and then ice again.

If you don't feel the ITB when cycling/spinning then I would have thought  it isn't a problem to continue, however it is possible that the cycling is aggravating it as much as the running. My initial thought is that a straight leg in an even movement while cycling if foot is secure wouldn't make it worse but since cycling myself, I feel there is a slight pull across the knee at certain parts of the rotation on the pedals.

• Options
    Steve - quick question relating to the schedule as theoretically I'm trying to follow the distances in the 4 hour one if not the pace.  13th Feb has 15 miles with last 8 at MP.  I'd really rather like to do Stamford Valentines 30K and could ease off back to easy pace at the end.  Obviously it would all depend on my leg but I need to get on and enter or it will be full.  What do you think?
  • Options

USB I would think if you are healthy enough it would be possible but it is an extra 3M and because of that extra 3M, I might be tempted to suggest that you could break into 3 and do middle 6 at marathon pace but would be interested to know whether Bud agrees!

• Options
    Just realised that the bit you won't know is that I have a big mileage background (1400+ last year) and ran marathon distance several times la.st year.  The idea of breaking it into thirds sounds good.  I'll see if Bud replies tomorrow but needed to start to get an idea because of getting the entry
  • Options

That's right Steve - the track running didn't start the ITB pain.

I saw my physio this morning for some ultrasound, elbowing and general stretching. He is of the opinion that continuing to run is making the pain worse and has advised me to take a week off running, cycling, and using stairs. I am allowed to swim, but without using my legs (?). He is bringing me custom-made orthotics on Monday.

Unfortunately I am inclined to agree with his suggestion as I have a feeling it's not going to get any better without some significant rest, and the earlier in the schedule that rest happens, the better. I feel confident cardio-wise right now so am not worried about losing great amounts of fitness at this stage.

On  a side note, I am totally devo.

• Options
    Yes agree rest is better now when you are in good shape and a week lost won't be a problem.
  • Options

It was a bit of a rushed answer earlier as I was just about to do the Q&A on training page

(just possible that some of the answers may be of help and avoid duplicate questions later on here.)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=170594&V=7&SP=

I am always slightly reluctant myself to rest as having seen a mass of injury experts over the years, advice varies and I find in many cases running slower but on softer surfaces and changing shoes means the recovery is quicker than many suggest. Also if you stop every time you feel a slght niggle, you would never get any training done. However, where the injury is chronic or just painful then rest makes sense and in Alex's case a week off now is much better than 4 weeks off in a month because she carried on and made it much worse.

• Options

So how's people's running been over last couple of days?  Just had 6m today, with 4m at 8:20 pace which was OK.  Interested to hear how others with pesky 4hr target are getting on at the moment with various programmes?  Seems to be a lot of variation between them, esp. re: length and speed of the long run..

Al - no idea whether you should rest or not - but am sure Steve's right - doing it early whilst you're fit must be better.  And won't mess with your head (too) much either....keep rolling...

• Options
    Thanks Simbux!

Haven't run since Wednesday night's painful 7m now - very frustrating.

Instead, I have been doing strengthening, stretching and rolling exercises every night. The knee feels better already - it was difficult not to head out this morning *just in case* my knee was better already. To the physio tomorrow afternoon for orthotics.

I can't wait to get out there again - I figure I'm allowed to start running again from Thursday. Steve - any tips for what sort of session I should do then?
  • Options

Thursday should just be a steadyish run - starting slowly at well over 9 min miles and picking pace up if you feel ok or stopping if knee is too tight.

• Options
    Thanks Steve - this will be the plan (unless I'm sent to Moscow for two days of work on Wednesday night).

Fortunately, the knee hasn't stopped me baking (caramelised sesame shortbread this afternoon).

Have a good Monday rest day everyone!
  • Options

Awww Alex, sry to hear about the ITB. A week off now will do the world of good. If it's any consolation, I ran half marathon yesterday and my left knee is agony now too. Stupid cambers on the roads!!! Anyways, time of 1:59 but now need a weeks rest too. Sports massage booked for Wednesday.

Enjoy the rest whilst you can and keep baking image

• Options
    Hope your knee is feeling better. I did a 16 miler on Sunday and when I came back my 13 year old son had made a lemon drizzle cake! Result
  • Options

Good runs guys!!! I feel a bit pathetic now saying that I did 6 miles yesterday!!! Arn't injuries a pain in the rear end!! Cannot wait till I'm back on those sort of distances again! Anyway I made an apple crumble yesterday...I blame Alex for giving me these naughty cake thoughts!!!image

Hope you are feeling better Alex!

• Options

Thanks guys! Awesome encouragement. And I am very pleased to hear how much baking has been going on - Jill your kid is an angel!

HolyMoly - well done on the half - a few days of rest and your knees will be right as rain.

Saw the physio today, was given even more exercises to strengthen up, and had orthotics hair drier-ed into my runners. Not sure if this is usual practice, but it was lovely and toasty sliding my feet in afterwards.

Australia Day's on Wednesday, so there are ANZAC biscuits, lamingtons, and orange & poppyseed cake on the menu! Which I wouldn't have had time to bake if I were planning on running on Tuesday night anyway...

• Options

Alex - poor you! Just caught up on your thread since last week - what a shame. But I do agree - better now that 5 weeks out from marathon.

Chin up. Keep rolling!