ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

1424344454648»

Comments

• Take it no-one was watching the programme on BBC2 at 9pm tonight image
  • I think we had BBC4 on.  Why what did we miss?

Isn't it strange how your own bed is so much better a hotel one even if you do have to share the space image

Tonight I will go for a short run - there I've said it so I'll have to go image

• USB, I hope you get a space in North Dorset, it was my first marathon last year and is a really lovely race, not quite the crowds of Paris but the ones you do see are very friendly.
  • Thanks Kate.  I'm alright with smaller marathons, I think the fewest there have been is about 30 of us!  I looked on the website at the pictures of the route and it looks very picturesque.  We've booked into a B&B in Sherbourne which looks lovely and they are happy to do me breakfast at 7 am with porridge included image

• Really sorry to hear how Paris ended up Bridget.  It's so unfair for that to happen after all the training going so well.  I hope you're starting to feel a little better

Good luck for North Dorset, I'm sure you'll find a place in the end and get yourself a new PB , it sounds like a lovely marathon and perfect to put all that training to good use   I've still got another 5 1/2 weeks to go till Edinburgh (recovering from massive bruising to the glutes from an ill-advised attempt at snowboardingimage)  but really getting inspired by yours and the other supersixers stories and training image 

• Sounds painful Alli!  Were you somewhere nice or was it one of these indoor slopes?

Are you hoping for Edinburgh to be cool and drizzly for a change?

• I went to Austria for 2 days skiing (as much as I can afford with 2 children) and then decided to have another go at boarding whilst one of the other girls had a rest (my memories of boarding 12 years ago were rather rose tinted). Big mistake! the problem was that once I'd started there was no option but to carry on - 2 1/2 hrs later after multiple spills on my bum  I finally got to the bottom (no pun intended).  Unfortunately I always ended up falling on the same place, grrrr image and ended up with a great big 8" x 4" purple bruise (and there was me thinking I had plenty of natural padding).  That put pay to my Reading Half the following week (15 min slower than my PB)

Things are starting to come together again now thankfully, finished my next Half within 4 minutes of my PB, but am definitely contemplating rain dances for Edinburgh given it's recent record.

Have a great time in Dorset! image

• Bridget, I have no idea how you managed to be so composed on that video interview image

I hope you enjoy your run later - I'm just back from a glorious 5.5m in lovely 12 degree northern drizzle image Seriously, it was just what I needed, processing my disappointment from the weekend (no where on your scale, but I was a bit down all the same), able to run freely, no targets, no stresses and so relaxed. Almost reminded me why we're in this crazy game image
  • Goodness Frodo, is that how it came across?  Our lovely Dan the Cameraman must have done some sterling work on me!  That was filmed within an hour or so of me getting back to the Asics bus at the finish.

Emotionally I spent the first couple of hours coming over all teary every time anyone spoke to me for the first time or asked if I was feeling better.  In between, as Alex says, I was doing a good act of coming across normally.

Then I had the distraction of finding taxis back to the hotel followed by photographs on the roof terrace.  One of those is on the home page and as you can see the one without the medal is the one laughing most.  A bit of suppressed hyseria I suspect combined with the fact that Eoin from Asics was acting stupid right behind Romilly our photographer.

When I went back down to my room I expected to crumble but it didn't happen and I had a reasonably sensible phone conversation with my husband.  Perhaps dehydration had hit my tear ducts!  I welled up as I read the forum and received several texts but generally stayed on an even keel for the rest of the evening including dinner with a good part of the team.  I even went to bed without bawling.

Since then it has been little things that make me a bit wibbly - the first person I saw in a Finisher tshirt on Monday, saying good bye to everyone at St Pancras, thinking about seeing Mr USB (who didn't get cried over either).

I think what has helped me along has been the huge amount of understanding I have received here, on Fetch and on Facebook.  This morning a certain song came onto the radio as I drove into work and I had another wibble but I listened to the words, thought about what people have said about me and decided that I've already found mine image

• I ran last night.  Didn't look at my watch until I got back.

5.05  miles in 56:54 (11.41, 11.33, 11.35, 10.58, 10.36)

Out to just past this and then back again

/members/images/17438/Gallery/Arch.jpg

My own little Arc image

• Hmmm.  'Do some easy miles this week with maybe a few strides'......... I'm not sure tonight's club session really fitted that description image

It was a social evening. We were divided into mixed teams of 4 and given numbered stickers.  After a warm up loop numbers 1 & 4 got to run it again in opposite directions until they met when they had to turn around and un back the way they came.  Numbers 2 & 3 got to stand around outside the pub and then when the others got back they ran instead.  We were supposed to do 4 loops each but I only did 2 and then a warm down loop.

My quick miles were 8.32 and 8.38.  Rather long strides!

• Yes it was image

It also showed the benefits of those long reps on the speedwork

• What's this speedwork of which you speak? image

Glad you had a fun run tonight, it must have been good for the soul.
  • Good speed. Looks like you are clearly recovered now and ready to ease back into more normal training and start work on the next marathon!
  • I still seem to be catching up on the broken sleep from a strange bed in an overwarm room but yes from the running point of view it looks good.

Family stuff permitting I am planning a long run tomorrow so that I can settle myself down with the ironing and watch VLM on Sunday morning image

• Nice running, B, and good to see that you've managed to get back on track so quickly after last week.  Looking forward to hearing that you've stormed your PB, whenever you do your next mara.

I've often wondered about the pros and cons of speed work as there seem to be two schools of thought about shorter reps, I knew one person (sub 3 mara, female) who said that speed work was best done over longer distances, ie mile reps. 

Will you carry on posting on here, or will you join the other threads as appropriate (distance, race etc?)

• Longer reps are the most relevant for improving marathon times but personally I find it best to have a variation of speeds and distances and what time you run the marathon is dependant on what time you can run the half-marathon in which there is a relation to what time you run 10k at and that to an extent is dependant on what time you run 5k at, so even 5K speed can have a small part to play in marathon training and performance.

• Thanks for that advice, Steve. It's difficult for me to find anywhere locally where I could run the shorter distances mentioned in some plans , so mine had tended to be of longer distance or time, but I'll look to incorporate more variety.
  • Jeepers - do you use a Garmin or something similar?  I set the reps on that so it doesn't matter where I do them although I would obviously avoid hilly bits!

Jeepers wrote (see)

Will you carry on posting on here, or will you join the other threads as appropriate (distance, race etc?)

Good question.  After all this time of posting the gory details of my runs on here (and only occasionally cutting and pasting into my blog elsewhere) it seems strange this week having nothing specific to report back on.  I've do already have my 'regular' threads which I dipped into but maybe neglected a bit over the last few months (I have made an effort to get back to these) and would join threads for specific races.  However I don't think there is a 4.15 thread apart from this one (feel free to point me at it if I've missed it)  so not sure what to do about that.  I'm happy to continue to post on here if people would like me to (especially if I get to share good news about my time in the future)  image 

• I'd love to keep posting etc and swapping notes on progress, although I'm right back at square one - still after nearly 6 months off, I'm just so pleased to be able to get back out. 

You could start a 4:15 thread - people might not necessarily think to look on here if they feel that it's only about Paris - but regulars will know where you areimage

I do use my Garmin for reps, it's more that it's quite busy where I run, making it difficult to find the space to do reps without either bumping into people, or having to slow down etc to avoid them / traffic.   The short ones advocated in some programmes would be quite difficult, so I've tended to do mine as longer ones, ie in mile distances to avoid the crowds.  There are a good few hills near me which I used to use for hill reps, but again, there are a lot of people going up and down, so it wasn't terribly successful.  I'm going to check local routes out and see if I can find some spots which would do for shorter reps.

• I mostly do evening runs and use a cycle/footpath along a ring road so generally not too busy.  I do have to travel to get there though.  You'd have laughed at me when I was trying to work out somewhere close to home for 400m ones - I was plotting lines on maps for hours!

Another thread sounds like a good idea and might draw other people in.

EditIn fact here it is

• USB - Knowing exactly how hard it is to dnf, You made the right choice, don't beat yourself up over it. 

• If you have any aches or niggles after your spring marathon, join our webchat with ASICS PRO Team physio Sarah Connors. She's live on our forums today giving recovery advice from 1-2pm, or you can start posting your questions now: http://bit.ly/gOb6SW