Options

ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Comments

• Options
    Hi flo po did you head out on your bike? I think I've got it in to my head that if I start off the runs slowly then the average time is harder to reduce then starting off quickly and then having time to loose/ play with. But I think this is similar to what I wad saying to runbird about needing to chill out more and actually enjoy running and worry about times later on.
    I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and get more social with the runs. I had a great time jogging with seren and did not even notice the distance. So calling out to the runners of Wales- anyone up for a running partner?
  • Options

Matt

Just trying to keep a check on you! Would you mind writing down everything you eat and drink tomorrow and the times you are eating these foods/fluids and post on before saturday, just keen to double check things.

• Options

MKT

well done on what you've done so far and well done on the great posts and blogs. Agree one run which didn't go as planned doesn't mean there are any real problems to worry about. Just make sure you get the preparation right.

Thanks to Bud for doing what he has done so far and  I hope to continue to help you towards your goal and am available at any time with any queries etc.

Agree finding people to run with will be a big help. I did a 13 mile run today and it was about 10 minutes quicker than I bwould have done on my own though I was close to cursing my training partner for going so quick!

• Options

Hi Matt,

how's the knee feeling now? Remember to keep the bridges going regularly to acivate the gluts and try standingon bad leg with good leg bent resting on a wall and turn supporting knee out bent at an angle of 30 degress this really works the glut and stops the Tensor fascia lata pulling the ITb tight. Don't forget to keep stretching the hips. All really important as you start to go further.

keep up the good work

Sarah

• Options

Didn't get on my bike yesterday but did buy a pump as we only have a communal one which is never around when I want it. The police are offering a security service tomorrow so will bring my bike to get it coded then go out after.

Good luck with your run today if you are running I know you did plan a rest day but not sure if you were going to do yesterdays.

Regarding starting extra slowly it only has to be for the first couple of miles to settle in to the run. You won't lose much time but it can ease you in to a comfortable run.

Is there any local races you could enter ( not necessarily to race them) but for the company and the atmosphere.

Good luck.

• Options

Hey MKT, glad you're finding ways of geting the fun back and also well done not continuing when you felt under the weather, absolutely the right thing to do.  Hope you feel better soon.  Have plenty of vitamin C to ward off the germs - oranges are good if you like 'em or a vit C tablet. 

Regarding average times, I always do the first mile 30 secs slower so it might be that your average is faster than you think if this is something you do!   

Take care and have fun!

RB

• Options

Hi Matt - sounds as though you're going strong and totally agree about strawberry yoghurt - it's far and away the best. I could eat it for every meal.

Tri sounds awesome too - you might even convince me to sign up for one too! I got a new road bike recently with the aim of cycling from London to Paris this summer - perhaps for the marathon?!

• Options

Hi Everyone, hope all is well,  Matt you certainly are in awe, with all that x-training, 54 miles(!) I can only last 9-10 miles on a bike ride and that takes me an hour.

Although i do swimming once a week on Fridays when I can, I usually do 1 to 1.5km swim in 25-40 mins.  Most breaststroke, I have not masterered the front stroke as I keep getting drowned!

Would love to tri a try!  Someone needs to convince me to part my cash to enter one of these! Are they expensive if having to do three sports?

Run has be ok for this week (mojo lacking with all the problems happening here), did 5 miles on Tuesday lunchtime, could not do the speedwork indicated on the schedule as forgot my watch.

9 miler tonight which will consist of a 2.5 miles run ti clubhouse, run 4 miles with running club and then 2.5 miles back home, so hope that goes well(!)  Hope traffic is nice to me so I can get home in time to do this.

Biggest problem us now is that our washing machine conked out, so washing has been an issue.  I need clean kit for the Human Race HM this weekend!

• Options
    RIP Must keep trying who died of man flu 17th Feb 2011. Long may his visits to the toilets on long runs be rememberd.
  • Options
    Like the phoenix from the flames he is on the rise again! Now realise that problems past week have been to development of the scurge of mankind-manflu! This of the serious type that women cannot understand due to their superior immune systems image ok dig your way out of the hole Matt image started struggling Monday with the bike ride, Tuesday morning went for a swim but no ooomph (that a technical term lol) and Wednesday was a struggle to do anything but stand. Had to take day off work and quality time with duvet but just got kids from school and able to catch my breath.
    I will catch up with posts later this evening as need to attempt to save marriage by doing jobs around the house as I got quite evil with the man flu so making up required. It's feels ace to have energy again image.
    Ps if I don't blog by midnight then attempt to make wife happy has failed please send help lol
  • Options

Get well soon MKT!

I've been feeling off all week to have only done one run of 6 miles today!  my niggle is a bit sore still but will rest up again until sunday when I'm doing brighton half!

Oh and MKT saw some horrible looking liquid in sainsbury's today actually called 'MANFLU' so it must be real image

• Options

I heard a totally  untrue rumour that manflu is brought on by incessant nagging and unreasonable behaviour.

Hope you feel 100% by the weekend.

• Options
    Definitely no scientific backing for that Steve otherwise Mr USB would be constantly ill image
  • Options
    Lol image operation make wife happy has hit snag with uncoperative daughter refusing to go to sleep. Going to look for tranquilizer gun in the garage...where earlier picked up useful advice from neighbour who was setting fire to things (has pyromaniac tendencies deeply rooted being a fireman- hi Keith image Audio books for the long run could be the way forward as a great distraction from the pain and mile times. Also immersion in the story something to look forward to for that length of time. So thanks for that Keith and for cutting up our Xmas tree and....setting fire to it image so going to get some books. I listened to a fighting talk podcast ages ago and it really took my mind off what I was doing, made me chuckle and it was a good run!

Going to start a list- reasons to look forward to the long run..
    1) audio books
    2) podcast
    3) escape the washing up image feel free to add .....image

Be back once the daughter stop pretending to be a gremlin...now that tranquiliser gun.....
  • Options
    4) possiblity of treating self with cake afterwards (Ruth! Low fat healthy cake of course!)
  • Options

AS

That is exactly how I feel I just think of each mile as 100 calories of nice food I can have. 9 miles tonight so 900 calories buys me a lot of trash.

• Options

MKT- try audible.co.uk for audiobooks my new one is 13hrs- think that might just see me through training and only cost me £7.99 bargain i think!

5) that sense of achievement when you wake up monday morning and go into work saying 'oh i only did...... miles'

• Options
    Loving your work Alex image truly you are the prophet of cake and I reckon your a distant relative of Mr Kipling and Willy wonka image !
    Your liking the idea of a tri, nice one- go on sign up for London it'll be a right chuckle and a great excuse to spend quality time with your new bike. That cycle to Paris sounds like good times to, I might look in to that. I'm loving being on the bike after a day at work (although left butt cheek is still in disagreement even from monday) and teaching myself the front crawl now feels great that am not drowning.
  • Options
    Vik I will head to that website and I hope they put you on commission! What book did you get ? Good luck for the Brighton half and am sure you'll go great and that the niggle vanishes due to the awesomeness of your run image so they give you an ice cream on the pier as you finish? ace addition to the list too image
  • Options
    Hi Steve and a big warm welcome to you image this is the true testing ground for a coach lol. These skinny whippets doing 3hr marathons where's the dedication? image by 3 hours most of us are just getting warmed up! Have often thought marathon running should be like a handicap horse race so everyone is weighted the same eg set at say 15 stone then attach beer barrels...no wait...cause then you'd need crisps...it'd all get messy. I'll email Seb coe and tell him to cancel the plan for 2012 image
    Really looking forward to your help and advice for me and all the lovely people on this forum to guide us towards dipping gracefully below the demon 5 hour mark. Love the comment earlier too about manflu and nagging...could possibly comment image
  • Options
    I like your thinking Matt although i dont fancy running around the streets of paris carrying beer barrels and monster munch (pickled onion flavour obviously)! Sorry to hear youve come down with the dreaded man flu, are you to old to have calpol? that pretty much fixes everything i heard!
  • Options
    Feel like I need to hide from Ruth as been a bad week for the new diet so going to hide in shame in the cupboard (even in the cupboard without the fig rolls). When she comes calling as she is so lovely image please tell her that I am restarting diet, now I'm in recovery post manflu, in the morning and will write down everything that passes through the lips.(instantly thinks of foods to be nasourly consumed but realised experiments could end up with embarrassing trips to A&E)

Realises that attempting to speak to Ruth indirectly, yet directly is cowardly and I need to man up to the food consumption. Ruth your advice has actually been the best bit of this experience so far and already made a difference. Plenty more for me to be doing and nows not the time to be slacking off. I cannot change the past but I can control the future.....high on cheesyness rating but true!
  • Options
    Hi peter and of course pickled monster munch! You can tell your man who has a good palate! Love calpol and whatever that banana one was we had as kids but no not been on it....(hides calpol bottle with straw and cocktail umbrella sticking out odbthe top behind his back)
  • Options
    Silburbas BUDDY! Glad that in some ways your week gone well. How'd the 9 miles go tonight? that 5 miles is in the bag though and people are always saying its about time on your feet. But then you hit the ying and Yang of life. Running going ok, washing machine dies, spend Saturday looking for new washing machine, miss run. So in order to keep you going....I offer to wash your kit for you! Might not quite make it for your race this weekend so you might have to use the secret student trick...the inside out maneuvere...or hardcore soap scrubbing.
    In fact I offer to wash anyone's running kit whose washing machine has broken down. Send all to runners world labelled Matt gonna wash my stuff for me, sweet!
    Am imaging Alice's face picturing smelly packages placed on her desk and not being amused....so executive decision...going to have to withdraw offer lol.
  • Options

You must be feeling better ploughing through all those messages -that  sub 5 is waiting and just needs a few months of good training to achieve and staying injury free and healthy,

• Options
    Silburbas forgot to say in my ramblings bout the cost of tri's. The only local one near me, I think is down in chepstow and is £42 quid ish so is quite a bit more pricey bit then you have effectively the 3 sports and there is much more organising that goes in to them. I have only entered London which even more expensive but then this is in relation to the popularity of the event. Eg para marathon 09 was something like £60 London Olympic distance tri £80ish.
    Seems like we are swimming at the same time on Fri. Are you going tomorrow night? If I feel up to it going to go for 2k in the hour...also thinking about just going for a 3 mile tester run to get back in to the running well see in the morning... got circuit training but will fit it all in image
  • Options

Morning MKT,

Probably my curse of mentioning the traffic last night.  One of those rubbish truck smashed the back of 60 plate car - wonder how long the owner had that car as it is a dead cert write off - ouch!

So did the club 4 miles run and leg were feeling good, so hope all goes well for Sunday when doing the Human Race Pace HM in Dorney Lake.

Turned up my in-laws last night 10pm, with my smelly running clothes...dont think it was appreciated!!  Thanks for your offer Matt - best put it pass your wife first, I remember those day when it was my turn to wash the Sunday Football kit - was not a happy lady!  

Was going to swim tonight, but my eldest said he wants to go to the cinema tonight, and my wife working so no one there to look after the younger two.  Have to see what happens later as 17 years old boys are very fickle people!

If Ihave that weight handicap, I will probably ask Sebastian to take your place - I weigh 17 stones, so winning would be easy compare to those 7 stone matchstick runners carring 10 years supply of monster mucnh!

Hmmm Cheptow Tri......As I live in Bristol thats only over the bridge.....<Off to look at more details....>

• Options
    Yoghurt for breakfast, yoghurt for lunch, chips for tea as sickness spreading like wildfire and case of surviving at the moment as boy has high temperature and wife in bed..daughter yet to get to bed and seems gremlin like again. Swim cancelled image but family looked after image

Silburbas- chepstow tri is called the south west triathlon and should pop up on the google.
  • Options
    <slaps himself on forehead>....now tell me it called SW tri - I been on google all day was on page 2827 having no luck!

Add a few vit C to your diet Or multivits to ur diet, they claim to help your immune system especially recovering from those long miles.

Hope you feel better soon. Try and keep positive. One of the good thing about the rest is your body is repairing and sometimes you come back stronger. You have done plenty miles on your feet so far so don't worry too much.

Off to look at the so called "south west tri"!

• Options
    Lol sorry Silburbas image you gonna go for the tri? The plague has descended on the house...wife in bed...boy with temperature....but daughter not yet suffering and I'm feeling generally ok, so hopefully everyone will be better tomorrow and we can stary to enjoy the half term image and maybe, just maybe I will do some running image and when I do am so going for it, eye of the tiger styleeey- their going to ask to drug test me cause I'll of gone at such a pace! (realises cabin fever delirium has set in and pines at the window itching to go out).

Although drug test would reveal todays food of yoghurt for breakfast, orange as snack, omelette for lunch with slice of toast....