ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Comments

• Matt,

Good to run with you.  Hopefully not too stiff this morning.  Will send you fb request - hopefully we can meet for that beer at the London tri.

Best,

Allan Lambert

• Hi everyone, got back late last night (it was hilarious trying to get down the steps off the plane!) and fell asleep instantly and crawled from my bed to get to work and been a crazyily busy day so will give a massive update when i get home about an awesome weekend in paris (containing Mr lambert above-glad u made it back safe buddy and surviving the streets of Paris).

Au revoir for a few hours.....love the sun burnt tortoise image

.......quickly for now........well done around brighton vik image knew you had it in you!

• Also going to be here to support all you guys going for London...will post more later...got a date with the photocopier and a damn strong cup of coffee!
  • Well done Matt! Have an ice cold bath image
  • Got 30 mins before a meeting and too excited to wait till later so this might be part one of the paris adventure......I just want to start by saying that i such a great time this weekend, one of the best weekends of my life and have awesome memories that will stay with me.......

My wife and i left deep dark wales at 3am and were kindly driven to Bristol airport by the father in law (after heading to bed at midnight due to my lack of packing). We got there in plenty of time as my wife is scared of flying and she wanted us to be at the front of the people getting on the flight to make sure that we would be sat together. Pretty smooth flight over and landed at Chalres De Gaulle which if you have not been there is a massive airport. We seemed to walk all the way around it to reach where the metro station was. I was putting my card in to the machine to buy our tickets when the announcement came over that there was no metro service in to paris as they were fixing the line image. So we all headed over to the coaches and waited for a while before one came so we could continue. We met this lovely couple that were away for the weekend. The guy had been responsible for booking the weekend and when his wife asked if he knew where the hotel was he said 'i think near the eiffel tower as it is called tower de eiffel hotel'. I wished them well as the got off and i hoped that he was right as she did not seem best pleased with him. We then got the metro from where the coach dropped us off around to near the hotel.

By this time we were soooo late to meet up with everyone else and quite rightly they had headed over to the expo to get bib numbers. As we did the 15 min walk to it we bumped in to the other super six, the lovely people from asics, a relaxed looking steve and the awesome runners world staff. Quick chat then on to the expo...which was busy, but negotiated well to get bib number, big sigh of relief that i then was set for the race and then leg it back to the hotel for interviews and photos.

We went to the top of the hotel which was lush with the eiffel tower in the background and this was were the photos were taken. it was lovely chatting to Alex (soo funny), alison (such a lady), peter(soo chilled), briget (seemed relaxed) and maria (met alan who is a cutie) and I had a quick chat with steve who advised taking it easy, to sit down as much as possible and not walk far.....

• ....which was when i made the first slight error. My family came over to the hotel and i and they wanted to do something. I probably should have just stayed in the hotel but there are not that many opportunities for us all to be together and we were in Paris so we headed off to the eiffel tower. Turned out further than i'd hoped and the legs were getting shot in the heat and the long day. We stopped for some pasta and i had a medicinal beer alongside loads of water. Then back to the hotel, laid out all my running stuff for the morning...then my wife and i were collapsed in bed by 8pm.
  • Felt awesome when the alarm went off at 6am and quick shower and donned the running garb. In the expo pack they had given us an armband phone holder and a green bandana and i decided to go with these for the day. Headed off to breakfast with Ruth words in my head and the porridge packed Got to the breakfast room and everyone was in their running gear and the excitement was starting to buid. I saw the scrambled eggs and lost all thought except those delicious looking eggs but only had one sausage and one bit of bacon (with two pan de chocolait). Lovely cup of coffee later and we were setting off in the taxi to the start!!!

• When we got to the start/finish area we went through to the ASICS VIP area and made final adjustments, took photos and final toilet stops. Stacey from ASICS made sure that we were all set and had everything we needed (and if i forget to mention you again stacey you were a star throughout and i cannot thank you enough). Steve gathered all us super six around and gave us final words of encouragement, finishing on making sure that we enjoyed ourselves. Whatever was to come i was going to try to make sure that this was the case.....
  • .....my wife and i said goodbye to everyone else to walk up to the arc de triumph together. I just wanted a bit of time with her before the off as i was nervous and anxious. I had a bit of cramp in my left leg and so stretched it off in the arc but was worried it would effect the race. We then were just stood for near to the paddocks and it hit me about what a mad two years it has been since i was last here. I felt quite emotional about what i had been through and i am still going through. At the very beginning of this process i was saying about how i wanted this to be a journey of getting back towards were i once was. All of a sudden it was like gosh i am here now, a couple of stone heavier, on immunosuppresents but hell yeah im going to give it a damn good go. My parents joined us and as i went through the paddock and we all started shuffling down towards the start line. My parents and kathy following down the side and with a few steps to go, kathy blew me a kiss and it began......
  • ....now silbubas and flo po take a seat. Shocking news coming up! lol I paced myself..........i know, i know your saying filthy liar lol but i did. I managed to somehow get in front of the sub 5 hour 'rabbit' (pacer) as it turned out they had but i was happy as i thought i would keep him behind. Off i went and the first 5 k were more than comfy. I was avaraging around 11min 06 secs pace and i was starting to think yeah this is awesome i can keep this going. Hit the drinks station and got water pouring half on my bandana and half down the gullet. I tried to keep in the shade as much as possible along with most others and was glad i wore the bandana as kept head and neck reasonably cool throughout. There were some slight uphills after this and so the pace dropped slighlty but i was still on track after 8 miles and still felt strong. I'm still not sure exactly what happend between 8 and 13 except that my pace slowed quite badly, i really lost focus, but that i was still plodding along and when i reached halfway at 2:44 i knew i was a bit too slow but still hoping for a faster second half. Then i think it started to hit me how hot it was becoming.....
  • ....someone told me later at the airport that it had been 26 degrees image and it was getting tough. The sub 5 rabbit had snuck past and i was getting a bit dispondant. The legs were starting to cramp after 16 (not as bad as merthyr) but struggling mentally. Then a moment of clarity. When a drunk realises that they have a problem. I started to think about my best memories from paris last time. Yes there was crossing the finish line but actually i really enjoyed chatting to people on the way around and sharing the experience. So that is what i started to do. Met a lovely irish couple that were kind enough to share their water with me (thanks again). Met a couple of americans, one guy from chicago who raised more money than anyone else for the Mcdonalds charity and so they rewarded him with this trip to paris.....at the time he said....and i quote.... the bastards!

and then i met the poor bloke that was to spend the next couple of hours of his life listening to me witter on...allan image! Good times! This guy is hardcore mind....driving back to london after the marathon! You are so on for beers after the London triathlon.....i'll owe you a pint for the wine gums lol not sure what my bro could give you, oh wait...breaking bread lol image....

• ....allan and i picked up a french teacher at one stage and the three of us trudged along magnificently. my family had got the metro around to notre dam and cheered from the bridge which was lovely. I then hoped that they would not come across the other side of the bridge so that i could stop jogging but they did....curse you all image lol.

It got a bit scabby at some of the drink stations as they were out of water and so i had to do my homeless impression and delve in to the bins to get the discarded ones (thats commitment for you!).

My bro joined alan, me and the french teacher at 19 milesish and we then just did a bit of fartlek style picking off targets in the distance and then walking for a bit but it was more of a walk jog then a jog walk. Left ITB was causing trouble and i was just more conscious of brining it home ok and then being ok for going to get our flight straight after.  If found the last 2-3 miles really hard and did not enjoy it at all except for the company of allan and mi bro. I had had enough but was determined to get back. My bro was kicking off the course by an angryish looking frenchman marshal just around the corner from the finish and allan i jogged up the final section. Then one of my best memories....my wife, all the runners world and ASICS staff cheered us in and i just felf soo happy to of made it through for my second marathon image.....

• ....picked up the gorgeous medal and awesome t-shirt and headed back to the ASICS bus to see the others. Romily the photographer came over and we did some photos and he was really kind about how i had got on. I couldnt wait to see my wife and how the others had got on. Dan from RW did a quick bit of videoing of how i had got on and then i got a big smooch from kathy. Everyone was so pleased to see me and i felt really special and that i had really achieved something. I went around the others and felt great joy for peter doing soo well and as always being so modest and chilled out about it all. I felt sorry for Briget feeling too ill to be able to get around and i hope she is getting over her dissapointment. Alex had a rough time towards the end of the race but was able to make it to the end and alison found it hard going but made it through. We soon made a move back to the hotel and i only had 25 mins before we had to leave. We headed back up to the balcony and it was lovely in our finishing t-shirts to do some final photos and i was really sad to say goodbye to the others as i really like all their company and i quite fancing getting sloshed with them (alas only had time for a pint-thanks again chief ASICS man). Headed to the airport with 40 mins before the gate closed and then the flight was delayed boo- that would of been precious drinking time!
  • Hard getting off the plane back at Bristol and was asleep within 10 mins of being at home. Thanks mother in law for sorting my work clothes out for this morning as it was hard enough just getting dressed...sore ....sore legs. They have got a better as the days gone by but still sore to buggery and i have stunk of spray muscle rub stuff all day (although i kinda like it lol).

So all in all what a great time....well not a great running time....but a great time and for me and my life that is what i think is important. I spoke to steve about not enjoying the last section and he quite rightly said about maybe going for halves. I know there is the prestige surrounding marathons and i am really pleased to have done 2! when 5 years ago i would never had been able to contemplate 1 but i think i know what my body can do. I can do 13 miles pushing it and not be injured and at a fast enough speed that the training does not disrupt family life too much. I think that if.....no when my weight comes down due to eating better and/or when i come off the steriods then i might reassess as i did a similiar time to 2 years ago dispite being much heavier and still ill. I am very much looking forward to the london triathlon as i can already swim the distance comfortably, cycle the distance comfortably and 7 miles is nothing! So i will continue the training for that and happy in the knowledge that none of that means that i am on the go for more than a couple of hours.

I am still very much interested in how everyone will get on in the London marathon next weekend so please please please keep on posting in the lead up to that and beyond. I hope that all your dreams come true and that you are happy thoughout it all.

Tonights plan (Ruth look away) chinese, beer, beer, beer and film. (probably really means collapsed knackered by 9.30 lol)

• Many many thanks to so many genuinely lovely people...........

The team from Runners World.....

the team from ASICS (Steve, Ruth, Karen, Sarah & Bud)..........

the forumites....mainly led by....silurbas, flo po, seren, vik, trigger, but thanks to all those that dropped in and out.....

This has meant the world to me and i feel so very lucky to have been a part of it. Please continue on here or keep coming back to see how things are going in preperation for the London triathlon......go on do it with me....i dare you...lol image 

• Fantastic report = got me all emotional thinking about London on Sunday!!

Well done again Matt image

• Fabulous report Mathew not much time but catch you later well done image
  • thanks karen- channel that emotion now for london and enjoy it! Good luck for sunday- don't go sight seeing the day before! lol

oh, everyone,  i took diarolyte around with me and poured it in to drinks and i think this helped greatly with dehydration during the race and after......could be hot on sunday image

• thanks flo po- you have been a star throughout this to come on to the forum and to try and aide a tortoise and a seemingly deaf one who managed to crazily ignore your advice for too long thinking he knew best... got to go get chinese ctach up laterimage
  • Hi Matt - I  popped in on this thread a few months ago - Huge Well Done for yesterday!!! I was there too - your account sounds so similar to my experience. I did one marathon last year, but I found this one so much harder. After 13 miles, I was counting down every 1/2 mile, and cursing myself for entering. Crossing the finish line made it well worth it though (I think we may have passed just about the same time too).  Still having so many flashbacks this evening. Great experience.

Enjoy the celebrating and eating and good luck with the Tri!

• Matt, what a great race report, so glad you had a wonderful weekend full of memories. This thread has been great! Well done again.

• Well done Matt, great race report and good luck for the London Tri.  I have really enjoyed reading your pages, you have been very honest and funny throughout.

Maybe next time a bit of Aquas Dr Jones will help you pick the pace back upimage

• Hi matt,

Just back from the funfair!

great report, I'll give it a A+ no question.

I think it is important to be enjoying it rather than hating it. Just rest then prepare on your next goal.

It was fantasic to meet u and other people here to share the experience and will certainly submit my report next week. You were an inspiration to me at the start and still are.

Best doze off now got work early in the morning, with the last speedwork at lunchtime, good night!
  • Thanks just keep swimming- it was tough but we both got through it! image well done back at ya image ....Chinese was ace......
  • ...but see Ruth I have learnt as I only had half of it and I al taking the other half to work for lunch image ..thanks for your comments Ruth and all your efforts with this former nutrition scoundrel image
  • Silburbas - I love fairgrounds....such a laugh...hope the speed session for a well today and I think your set for London buddy! You have that focus to apply for that diatance which will put you in good stead. Thanks for your humour throughout and your pranks image would not have been the same without you. Me, you, guys like Allan are all normal guys that fancy doing some crazy stuff while managing work, family etc hopefully we have shown it can be done and that you will show it can be done with speed image

I am going off for a light swim this morning and then a long cycle tomorrow and am feeling stress free about it all and going to enjoy all the way image
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Wow MKT just finished reading your report - sounds very much like my first experience of London when I fell out of love with the race at around about Wapping - wondering what the heck I was doing there.  The second time I kind of enjoyed it and this year is hopefully 3rd time lucky!

This thread has been an inspiration - I tried Kung Po chicken on Sunday for the first time - boy that's got a kick to it!

Hope you're having a great day today - just off for 4 miles shortly with my last run of 2 scheduled for Thursday.  Off up to the Expo tomorrow to pick up my number and a bit of shopping too no doubt.

Hopefully the forecast for London is a tad cooler.image

• hi trigger, hope that london goes well for you and that you enjoy it too image 

I have been looking at the videos for paris finish line and the ones on runners world from previous times and feel really chuffed to have been part of something.

Really need to get off these drugs though as sick of being permanently bloated and to make it easier to head back down to 14 and 1/2 stone. Its weird seeing yourself back on video as i have this image of what im like and then i see myself on the video and go.....oh dear....thats the reality is it? but as someone once said......we must become the change we want to see.....