ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Comments

• Trigger what food/ nutrition are you carrying around with you for London or are you going to take whatever is t the stations?
  • Matt - good news there we won't recognise u soon! Hope it goes well.

Seren - oh blast at least you can defer instead of hopping round the course hope you get better soon. Thats why I opted out of football for three weeks, cant trust those pub teams. But again you are a pirate and dont say no to anything!!

Trigs - I remember that goodies bag I bought one when I went two years ago and will be on the lookout for them again, best wishes to you on sunday - what's pace are you going for. I am starting in the blue pen and hope to stick with the 11:00 pacer as long as I shall will.

Opted out of the club run today as they going on the fields and don't want to mess my ankle or get my shoes dirty - am I suffering from tapering syndrome?

I been think hard what to do on my fueling and am opting to take a jelly baby as a reward at every mile point with some water and gels at every 5km point with the salt tablets. I am opting not to take lucazade but will take elecro drink at start as my tummy does not agree well with lucazade.

I had a big problem this morning when I discovered my running shorts were ripped so bought new one and hope they will do the same job and not chaf me.

Off to London tmr afternoon staying at cousin house, then venture the expo on saturday with my son and cousin's little funny boy - so expect some stories....

Really looking forward to it and wish the weather cool off on Sunday....
  • Good luck to all you sub-5s on Sunday! I can't wait!
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Silburbas there's a chance that we might meet up somewhere along the course then.  I'm on red start pen 9 same as 11 min pacer and I intend to stick with him and then hopefully try and pick it up a little at mile 25? so that I come in under 5 hours for sure.

Am really nervous now - MKT good luck with the change in meds, hope all works out for you.

Am staying with a friend in Greenwich tomorrow and so have to think about what to pack -we'ere going out for an Italian meal to celebrate my son's 18th birthday which is on Monday!image

• Hi Silburbas looking forward to hearing your stories about the weekend. I am going to look out for you and the others on the tele Sunday morning. Sounds like a good nutrition plan to keep you juiced up for the 5 hours. I know you can do it mate...you have that focus and determination...focus on every mile...when the going gets tough go again...I lost concentration on what I was doing in the last hour and a half when of course it still matters...learn from my mistakes and you will be sub 5 Luke you deserve but if go over it then try not to stress and enjoy the day. As Steve said to us all better to be a few minutes over Target and enjoy it then a few minute under and of hated the experience...

A nice 800 metre swim for me this morning in 24 mins, going to go out on the bike and for a run in a mini tri this morning....lush

• Thanks trigger..enjoy the meal and get a load of pasta in you to carb load before the big day. Fingers crossed for you. If any of you get chance post your bin number and I'll follow your progress on the computer too.
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Hey MKT how can you do that?  My number is 53302 and there are folks that would like to track me on line.

With regards to your question about nutrition on the way round?  I'm a jelly baby girl - never really experimented with gels as I get a jippy tummy and in fact will be taking immodium before I set out (enough said) and will also pop 2 at the finish just to be safe.

Is ironing too strenuous an activity for tapering?image

• Yes Trigger - no ironing till Tueday at the earliest
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Just what I wanted to hear Suze78 - Tuesday it is!

• Matt - My number is 34649. Determined more than ever to get within 5 hours - 3rd time lucky, got to be done in London!
  • Fingers crossed for you then too onlysevenmoremilestogo! I am feeling like it is your weekend....sending positive vibes your way image

So numbers so far.....

Trigger 55302

7moremiles 34649

...trig take it easy with the ironing lol...maybe pace at a shirt an hour image

I am going to find out about tracking the numbers. People were able to do it for paris and so i would have thought that the same would apply for London as we are as technologically advanced as our french cousins...i will get back to you as soon as i know.

Done this morning-

800 metre swim 24 mins,

8.4 mile bike ride 33:30 mins (15.5mph avg)

1.09 mile jog 11:34 pace with the cycling and jogging back to back. Legs felt all wobbly lol.

1 DAY 22 HOURS TILL LONDON STARTS! image

• well done on your mini triathlon this morning. Not sure London are doing the tracker system.
  • I think you need a GPS on your phone to track people. I'm not techy anough for that image But if you do happen to spot me i'll be wearing this vest >

I have been following your progress Matt from the start, I to will be concentrating on tri after London in a hope to increase my 10k speed to half marathon, then maybe try another marathon in a couple of years. My PB marathon is 5 hr 24 mins, my recent half PB is 2 hrs 9 mins and working out my average pace from my training runs I should be able to come in under 5 hours - but that's easier said than done in a marathon!

Staying positive though, got everything sorted for race day! Nearly time for my lunch - Pasta pasta pasta then off to the gym for 3 mile run followed by swim image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610642/Gallery/asthma_uk_london_marathon_2011.jpg

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Sorry MKT I'm 53302image

Feet up watching a rubbish movie at the mo.  Washing in the machine!

• Sounds like with your training you will go great 7moremiles but try and enjoy the event anyhow image also nice for having a plan for after the marathon. I think yours is a great idea for focusing at the shorter events to increase speed and then return to the marathon at a later stage with the new speed in the legs. I am loving going for the London triathlon as it means pushing it for each of those sections instead of holding back with a marathon and pacing it out. Of course there is still a bit of that but not for as long a duration. During the training for Paris I got the half distance time down to about 2:20 and actually I have surprised myself how eager I am to being this right down. I remember feeling soooo cuffed when I did the 1st and only time I did 6 miles in under an hour.

Sorry trigger I must have number dyslexia when I was trying to type

Trigger 53302ng
    7moremiles 34649 (love the pic of the bib!)
    Mrs gentles 36259

Steve thanks for the message about my mini tri and I think that you are right-from what I have found out it was done by addidas last year but there seems nothing activated so far for this year but I will keep on trying. Either way I will use my eagle eyes to scan the tv pics to look for you! It would be easier if you'd consider a last minute wear of fancy dress?!

I suggest
    Trigger- tigger from winnie the pop
    7moremiles-giant squirrel
    Karen- dangermouse or penfold

What do you reckon? image lol

what film is it trig?
  • Steve are you doing London or is your let still bad?
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Off sky anytime - Motherhood!  Now gone on to all 3 hours of South Riding!

My nickname is derived from Only Fools & Horses lol! 

• Haha! I would have liked to be "Puff the marathon dragon" for Asthma UK but somebody else is doing that. I was going to dress up as an Asthma pump but just haven't had the time recently to sort that out image I'll cheer and wave at a camera if I go pass one image I know what you mean about achieving PB on half! It was a great feeling, as previously raced last marathon in 2 hrs 24 minutes and in training 2 hours 14. Hopefully get to London half way in 2 hrs 14, then pick up the pace abit in the second half. Some of my mile splits are 11 min miles, then rest are 10.18 or there abouts. Fingers crossed, will update you on Sunday.
  • Trigger sounds like a tv nightmare lol

Well it will have to be a yellow robin reliant costume for you then image

7miles- would have been hilarious if you could have sorted out the asthma pump but people may of been tempted to press you on the way round image

You are so going to do it sub 5! The trainings in the bag so Sunday is just a walk in the park (small print-walk in the park being 26.2 miles of the unknown events like having to scour bins for peoples abandoned water- which you can't train for unless you have been unfortunate enough to be homeless)
  • Thanks Matt image I can't believe Paris ran out of water! So bad at a major event like that. It's going to be 19 degrees sun by 2pm in London just seen on the news! image
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh run out of water year before last and actually ended up closing the raceimage  I learned from my first marathon not to run without water just in case
  • image 19 degrees booooooo.....try and keep in the shade and drink little and often. I wore a bandana that I kept tipping water on and keep me cool but affected my street cred...oh wait no that went back in 1998 lol
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    19 degrees is a tad warmer than I'd like but we'll see what happens on the day!
  • I am beginning my Indian cloud dance right now...hmmanana....hmmanana image
  • Hi all

Just arrive cuz house after endurance 5hr(fate?) drive! It took 2hr to get to M25 the remainder to get to other side of the city!

Hello new people on the thread who doing London I will look for my number when we unpack.

But need the loo first......
  • Glad u got there ok via the traffic jam of the m25. Remember to wash ur hands lol image
  • Lol disinfected my hands dont worry!

Carbo stage complete chicken with rice....nice!

Bib number is 24272.

cuz's little boy seems to think marathon is easy wants to join me!!!

• Sounds tasty buddy and carbo heaven! My kids keep saying they want to run a marathon with me too. Owen was looking at the Paris one today asking I'd he could win one as well. I said he could when he was old enough but then he replied that we could not both win the medal...awww did not have the heart to tell him that his dad did not quite win in paris..although if I'd have known at the very beginning that there was 50,000 euro at steak I may of tried image lol
  • Haha bandana, I wore those in hockey used to drive me crazy because they'd fall off my head all the time. I'll be wearing a white hat with very cool shades (so good for the street cred) but after 26 miles who bloody cares lol! I carry wet wipes with me to keep me cool, normally does the trick. I also bought some nunn active hydration tablets to put in the water they give out at London, which will hopefullly help too.

Last run went well today, the gym was completely empty so didn't get too hot, managed 40 minutes with hill and did some cross training.  That's it now! I went to a gig tonight to calm my nerves, was good not to think about the marathon for a few hours actually, espcially being in London, all the signs are up now saying "road closed, london marathon 2011" right outside my gym!

My little nephew (14 month old) will be with me on Sunday cheering me on. He is the reason I'm running the marathon, as he's an asthma sufferer. I just can't wait to cross the line and see his smiling face back at me! I'll probably end up giving him my medal to play with image

Plan tomorrow is lots of little naps during the day (yes, like a baby) as I know I won't sleep during the night, and drinking plenty of water.