ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

Comments

• Morning fellow-stiffs,

Am not too bad just sore on the behind of the knee and left foot due to the aftermath of a cramp at 4:38am! Shoulder getting loose now.

Got to do food shopping today as wife in work so if you see a young bloke in the mobibilty scooter in Longwell Green Asda, probably not me!

Can I ask for late submission of report, is tonight ok?
  • OMG what an amazing day!! 5.28 for me which I was really pleased with. Got to half at 2.44 so knew sub 5 was out of the window so moved my target to 5.30 which I made. The crowd was unbelievable and I really don't think I would have made it without them. Legs are feeling every single one of the 26 miles this morning but luckily working from home today (well, when I say working, I mean catching up on everyone's race reports!!). thanks for the support and banter over the past few months everyone and well done to all of you too. imageimage
  • Well done to everyone!!!  It was hot out there yesterday.
  • Trig- marathon success...18th bday party...sounds like its gonna be a hell of a party image enjoy!

Lol Silburbas am imagining you going crazy in the aisles supermarket sweep styleeey on mobility scooter image

Karen really great going yesterday. When I was checking out how you were getting on I was surprised how slow your first section was but then I saw the beauty of your plan and how you were keeping such a consistent pace. An absolute triumph to go under 5:30 and an inspiration to me image well done!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't work too hard today image I won't tell image lol
  • well done everyone!!

we all made it!!!

hope you lot are enjoying wearing those medlas with pride image

so whats next for everyone?

jus signed up for windsor half and run richmond 10k- see if i can't knock sometime off those pbs!!

• He he thanks Matt, don't you love it when a plan comes together!!

Going to do the birmingham half in October with the hubby - think i passed on the running bug!!

Going to enter the ballot for London 2012 as well.

• I echo your congrats to everyone vik image jobs a good one now for the spring marathon and now to focus on the next. When's Richmond and Windsor occurring? Do you get to run through the castle at Windsor and take a nosey at the queens corgies?

Booked on to so far....
    London traithlon Olympic distance 31st July- 1st attempt at tri and going to see what happens..wetsuit got and awesome ...going to try my best and going to be a pb anyway lol

Cardiff half marathon 16th October- really want to bring the time down same as you vik. During training this time around got down to 2:22ish for the half but want to bring this a bit closer to 2 hour. Being realistic for the marathon, if I am to do it again I really want to break 5 hours and so need to be much quicker. Watching graces (7miles) times she did (hope you don't mind grace) 2:15 ish for the first half and 2:35 ish for the second which shows the level of speed and consistancy.

As always its the years of investment in to the 24 pack around the gut that is the biggest hurdle but by keeping on trying it is going to go eventually image the inner athlete is always trying to win through...
  • Karen great you've passed on the running bug and I think that's lovely to be able to hit the road with your other half image brum sounds good for oct. When can we apply for London? It'll be my 4th attempt to get in to the darned thing....
  • Ballot opens on 26 April. I would do it as early as possible on the day though as I think it closed in under 24 hours last year. They close entry when they get to 125,000 applications.
  • Thanks Karen have put it in the diary...fingers crossed will see you there next year!
  • We are setting off to tenby camping for 4 days image come on weather stay nice image then I am going to get running again as legs feeling better after a week off. I'll check back later if possible to read your report Silburbas looking forward to it image
  • arghh just spent the last hour writing a report, only for rw to tell me the message is too long and to go back..i did, but the message isn't there!! So frustrating. Sorry, but I can't write it all again

Anyway, here is my garmin upload: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80146789

Mile 22 - as you can see, pace maker comes along. . It pulled me out of this lethargic state and made me get my legs back.

Wouldn't have done it without him!

Picture below of my nephew and I. Look - he's predicting my time for next year! I wish!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/610642/Gallery/me_and_finley_0.jpg

• Lovely photo grace image sorry the RW site was pants for your story as would have loved to have read it. Looking at the garmin details you can see the difference it made following the pace guy but you still had to have the ability to respond which you dis awesomely!
    Back to the bbq been an hot day on tenby and been on the beach and in the sea with wetsuit on....great image
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Spent most of yesterday in the garden lazing in the sun and resting my quads.  Same plan for today with the exception of a celebratory lunchimage

Am hoping to be back at parkrun on Saturday but there's a way to go yet, my quads are still quite tender bless them!

• Sounds great in the garden trig and I hope the quad are starting to recover..take it easy after your epic day image
    Been swimming in the sea and out on the bike on the ironman course...which may of planted a seed of desire!
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Watch those seeds MKT they have a nasty habit of growing LOL!

• If you have any aches or niggles after your spring marathon, join our webchat with ASICS PRO Team physio Sarah Connors. She's live on our forums today giving recovery advice from 1-2pm, or you can start posting your questions now: http://bit.ly/gOb6SW
  • just rushing in before work to say hello and happy easter

how is everyone recovering?

matt- an ironman just makes me image at the thought!!

• And he is back!

Lovely week spent down in tenby camping and had awesome weather so we are all brown and it is not just dirt for a change lol

I went for a swim in the sea with my new wetsuit image and it was so much fun. I went out probably about 150 metres and the wetsuit kept my body warm and made me float so much that the swimming was pretty easy. This is going to sound daft but the sea was soooo salty and I started to feel a bit sick after drinking a bit by mistake. Chuffing freezing on the hands and head too as trying to do front crawl for lore than 10 strokes was hard as brain would feel like it was freezing. I went for a cycle on the ironman route (as tenby has ironman for 1st time this year) and went up the steep hill on the route and it was ok. I was just surprised I was not knackered afterwards. Hence viks post above- I am really thinking of doing ironman Wales in 2012. This would be 16 months to prepare for the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle followed by a little marathon! Ive got the London Olympic tri coming up so I think I will see how that goes first but why not?! Whose with me?
    Come on vik ill supply the vomit bags for the journey along the way lol
  • I have applied in to the ballot for London this morning image don't forget I'd your crazy enough to want to do it again image
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done MKT.  finalised my place for Brighton 2012 yesterday.
  • Hi all,

Sorry for not submitting the report of my London race, thing have been crazy and with the internet down at home, and I had my university assignments to do with I left them til after London - not a wise move to do 3 whole modules of learning and assignment in 2 weeks.

Overall I am please with my London run, despite the start, started well with the pace for the first few miles, until mile 9 I started to feel a bit ill, so stopped and sat down for 4 minutes before continuing.  But the next couple of miles was a battle with my mind, until I saw my family (My father flew over from France especailly to see me running) at mile 14.

The wise man told me to forget about the time and enjoy it, so felt better and more confident and continued with the quest, trodding along taking in the atmosphere and views, which was a blur to me two years ago and the first 14 miles.  (Perhaps the view was a bit offputting in some places with people puking!)

And I crossed the line in......5h 52m so a PB here, and finished with a smile.  Although I wanted a sub 5, I realsed with a marathon, small things even stopping for 4 minutes can dramatically reduces your target, so perhaps I was bit a bit optimistic expecially with the weather over long distance.  So me next goal is to train for a 4:30 marathon, and that way I can get a sub 5 after a few setbacks!

So my name has been entered in the ballot.............(and my wife, as she was thinking about it after seeing the experiance watching the runners, but was crossed with me after I put her now down!)

However the most important thing about this year was meeting people on this forum and making running more enjoyable, in which is how you get through the distance.  To be honest when I crossed the line, I still felt fresh I could go on for more miles (Hey - who said Ultra!!)

Hope to see you in future races and hopefully around on the forums.

• p.s. Matt - I was looking at my 5K section times with yours and we crossed each other several times(!)

• Nice one Silburbas- yeah it was spooky with our splits for most of the way through but then you kicked in the turbo charger for the last bit image I feel the same as you about going faster and am aiming for a 2 hr 1/2 marathon for cardiff in October

There's a 50 mile ultra brecon to cardiff in a few weeks image ....
  • 16 mile cycle for me today in the sunshine image

Yet to get running again and a bit anxious about it for some reason. Anyone else feel the same. Guess the only way to overcome is to get the trainers on and head on out.
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Know exactly what you mean MKT.  Did local parkrun on Saturday and Sweatshop run last night - weird running for such short distances!  Will have to start upping mileage soon for BUPA 10K at the end of the month.

Back to work with a bang on Tuesday - still only today to go!image

• I agree with you trig weird but great to run and I mean run for a change instead of jog and walk. Did 2 miles last night running and getting properly knackered from and then done 5 mile cycle this morning which means I am 7 miles off from 100 miles cycle for the month of April. Tour de France next lol

Enjoy the royal wedding!
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Well done MKT.  Wish I could ride a bike but my quads just don't work!  Never had a bike until about 5 years ago and I think I was just a bit too old in the tooth (or legs!) to adapt.

My new Forerunner 210 arrived yesterday so am going to be playing with the pacer on it tomorrow at parkrun - see how that goes!

• MKT

Read your thread pre Paris, very inspiring for me as a bigger boned runner.
    Are you still training?