ASICS Super Six: Matthew (Sub-5:00)

1323334353638»

Comments

• Thanks jelly belly and live the name! Yep for back in to it and did a 2500metre swim a few weeks ago! Still training for London Olympic tri but hit a bout of illness- what events you training for?
  • I'm taking part in GNR in Sept this year, done a half in March 2010 but wasn't up to mileage in terms of training.

i want to beat last years time of 2:22, would be happy with anything around 2:10 but need to get some solid miles in between now and then. Did a 5 mile race a week ago in 51 mins, but ran 5 miles on my own with Garmin this weekend and managed 49:50. Will need to run 10 minutes miles to get 2hr 10mins but think I can do it if I get the miles under my belt through the summer.

I fancy a Tri one day, do they do such things as adult swimming lessons? I can swim but my technique is poor and I am puffed after a couple of lengths. any tips?

• Just to take it slow and steady jelly baby image I've had to defer London tri place till nest year as just spent past two weeks in hosp and my consultant threatened to drop me as a patient if I went against her advice booooooo.
    I watched some video on you tube about front crawl technique and then its just a matter of building up the lengths.
    1gping to take up squash again as I need that social and thinking element that you doont necessarily get from swimming and running
  • Ok back up and running again now after hospital session and going to get training for the cardiff half marathon that I am doing with my brother in October.

Swimming this morning- 16 lengths 25 metre pool in 11min 26 secs

Running- 291 metres in 2 min 20 secs 12'55 avg pace
    - 405 metres in 2 min 56 secs 11'41 avg pace

Awesome! image
  • Done some more longer running image

Thursday 2 miles 34 mins
    Friday 2 miles 29 mins dropped dog off and extra mile 15 mins so 3 miles total in 44 mins. Long way from where I was but enjoyed it image lovely being out in the sunshine
  • Hiya nice to see you back and in training again. What date  is your half?

I am just starting to train for the Amsterdam Half myself it's also  in October.

• Hi flo po my former guardian angel image going for cardiff half in October. Amsterdam sounds awesome just stay away from the coffee shops beforehand image
  • hey ho! welcome back Matt! A new fresh start to another challenge - all the best - the main thing is enjoying it.

I been yo-yo-ing with the running (and dieting!) - couple weeks on and a couple off, due to work, uni (passed my FdSc with Distinction), and family - as my wife been hogging the club running nights as she is starting running so we got to share the kids!

I have booked in Chippenham half in September - aiming for 2:15. so good luck everyone on another adventure.......keep us posted.
  • Hi Silburbas image many congrats on the distinction! Must have been hard juggling work, family and the qualification. Good luck for chippenham & let us know how the training and race goes. I am doing the cardiff half with my brother who has got in to running after seeing the Paris marathon and joining me for the last 6 miles. This is helping me greatly with motivation and funwise image

What do ya reckon Silburbas shall we make another date for the sites and smells of merthyr 20 miler in 2012? Did you put your name in the hat for London again?
    I must have gone bonkers as I have been searching eBay for a treadmill for winter training!
    I
  • Nice 3 miles with my training partner Molly the dog image new route down and them back up the valley. Encountered building works and gone so far down and started back up so was not going the long way so yes it was us that trespassed image
    Watch was set for 400 metre splits
    4:00
    3:34
    3:28
    4:10
    2:52
    3:30
    3:22
    4:20
    6:02
    4:18
    4:34
    4:21
    Good to get the body used to time on legs again, see the world and get refreshed by a bit of rain image
  • Thanks Bridget image hope your runnings going well
    Went out for an hour this morning with the dog. After a mile warm-up up a hill trunk did 400 metre reps at 2:30 pace with alternative 400 metre walking. Good to get a sweat on and to discover a new route. Was getting too serious about time though as going past a cattle grid during a fast 400 and dog refused to cooperate. Will start to focus more on times after this week.
  • Oh taught myself to tumble turn in the pool last night. Takes two seconds off per lap image
  • 1st go in eBay acquired treadmill and enjoyed it image have to hold the bar when it goes over 7kph due to my size and its non sturdyness but gets the legs moving and a huge sweat on. It's a Carl Lewis one with the 400metre lap counter at the top which is helpful for breaking the mileage up. So did 2 miles in 30 mins which I am ok with to build onwards and upwards from image
  • Good luck with the dready runs not for me but useful in the winter I suppose...

• Yeah that's the plan more for winter but also being onhand for the kids during the summer holidays....wife can always give me a shout and I am back in thirty secs
  • Hi Matt! Good to see you back to training after injury. I would love my own tredmill, but the gym costs enough. Good practice for hills though. Good work on turning in the pool - I'd only ever try it if no one was looking lol! I have a tri coming up end of September...got a new road bike (well it was second hand but has carbon forks, nice wheels, lady saddle) for £300! Really pleased, and absolutely loving getting out on the country roads, and mixing it up with running. Just need to do more swimming, I'm finding it a little boring! 
  • just did nice steady 3 miles in 41 min 43 sec, pace 13:52 image

mile 1  13:48

mile 2  13:53

mile 3  13:54

back on the roadsimage next target to get under 40 min for 3 miles.

• Matt..........how you doing.......there a new bunch of asics in town now..........but they are all a bit speedy....

glad to see you are running

• PLAN

4M (approx 50 mins) slow

1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 15 mins) fast, with 800m (5:30-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

3M (approx 39 mins) easy

7M (approx 90 mins) run/walk

1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10 mins) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

4M (approx 50 mins) slow

3M (approx 39 mins) easy

8M (approx 100 mins) run/walk
  • Plan was 4M (approx 50 mins) slow

Achieved 4m 46:57 (recorded with strava)

1 mile 11:22

2 mile 12: 48 (2 miles 24:10)

3 mile 11:50 (3 miles 36:00)

4 mile 10:57 (4 miles 46:57)

• 3 miles 34:33 (on strava) image

1 mile 9:49

2 mile 12:42 (2 miles 22: 32)

3 mile 12;02 (3miles 34:33)

Personal records (on strava) image

400 metres 2:21

1/2 mile 4:56

1 Kilometre 6:15

2 miles 24:32

5 kilometres 36:11

ironman watch 35:47 4.8 km

I wanted to see if I could focus with 200metres light jog followed by 200 metres faster. I kept this going for the first mile then struggled with the exertion. 2nd mile was 200m jog 100 metre walk and by third mile was 100metre jog 100 metre walk or more depending on what I thought I could do. Pleased to do 1st mile so well so will work on trying to maintain this next time.

after run 30 press-ups with knees on floor 3x10

Claire had baby tom yesterday and I picked up trevor from the hospital at 3am getting back at 4am so was tired yesterday.

Today I need to sort out what to wear for the wedding, collect prescription, look at travel insurance, give owens passport application to Kathy.

• Went for easy evening jog after doing 5 miles yesterday and surprisingly easy tonight. Was not trying v hard but just went with the flow listening to tunes enjoying being in the moment.

Mile 1 10:47

Mile 2 13:01 2 miles 23:48

Mile 3 12:04 3 miles 35:52