RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Barry - you are dead right about the pacing.  Here are my splits from London:

7.04  (downhill so always a fast mile)

Up to this point it was all about keeping an eye on the pace and constantly slowing down.  Really hard to do but essential.

7.43  This mile was when I had a calf seizure but ran through it.

From here on it I didn't look at the pace much at all.  It was all about trying to increasing the effort but still keeping it under control and not putting too much in.

7:51
    7.32 (for the 1.3m)

It would have been really easy to have gone 10s or so faster per mile in the first half and that would have still felt quite easy but I was determined to stick to the plan. 

Maybe others could post their marathon splits too to help you.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- looks like I didn't keep details of my splits but this may help though I know you'll run your own race-
    5k 22.18 10k 44.41 15k 1.07.18 20k 1.29.17 25k 1.51.36 30k 2.13.59 35k 2.36.49 40k 3.00.33
    Ist Half 1.34 2nd Half 1.36.15 finish 3.10.15

im a strong believer in getting the first half under 1.35 to go sub 3.15 

the start is split into corals for your estimated start time. I put down 3.15 but it was very congested and got a bit stuck and so aim to be at the front of it or sneak into the one infront. It does unwind but takes a mile or two . I think I was in c or d so definitely aim to get further infront if you can

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

SS- don't know why I'm complaining as this place is full of Saudis etc cooling off. 

• AA - sorry to hear about your foot and the havoc it is causing image

Minni - the curse of the 10K strikes again! Maybe you were knackered from the fell race the night before though - eye on the prizeimage

Carrot - shame the HM didn't go to plan, but you can't win them all. You are marathon training though aren't you - I personally haven't managed a PB in an HM during marathon training. Too much residual tiredness I reckon.

Barry - you definitely do look like you are on to smash 3:15. And so soon after injury - great going.

SS - watch out for the calf. A injury there can take a couple of weeks to resolve. Fingers crossed it is just DOMS

Had a great weekend diving in Corwall and even did a couple of 5km runs. My it is hilly in Cornwall. I had a couple of 25% hills to run up! It was even harder going down them.

Got my club 5K handicap this weekend and will run without Garmin to test fitness. My legs feel knackered today though. I don't think I have quite worked out the optimal training intensity and volume required for this tri training malarkey.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant- tri training=constant fatigue. your bike and running history will ensure you should well .

pink- there's often a race in Berlin on the day before the marathon. if there still is why not give it a go ?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

SS - ouch! Hope the calf sorts itself quickly.  9 wedding dress shops image  I remember when my sister got married we traipsed round goodness knows how many - including Harrods which was a laugh as there was no way she was paying those prices, but it was good fun to pretend! She ended up buying the very first dress she tried on in the first shop image

It is scorchio out there today.  Just back from 7 miles image Mid way round I realised that was my very last run before I reach the F45 category tomorrow....hopefully it will be easier to keep on top of the bling at races....and of course it is a great excuse for going out for dinner and drinking wine tomorrow night image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Boston -

BOSTON -- Registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon will open on Monday, September 9, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. ET. The B.A.A. will use the same process to register qualified runners as it used in the 2012 and 2013 Marathons, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first.

Registration will be held entirely online atwww.baa.org. The qualification window for the 2014 Boston Marathon began last year on September 22, 2012.

In addition, in cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. has set the field size for the 2014 Boston Marathon at 36,000 official entrants.  The 118th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 21, 2014 and will mark the 29th consecutive year that the event will have John Hancock Financial Services as its principal sponsor.

Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers. On Monday, September 9, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register. On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, if space remains, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more. If space remains, registration will open on Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration will close on Saturday, September 14 at 10:00 p.m. ET.

If space remains after the first week of registration (Monday, September 9 through Saturday, September 14), then registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Friday, September 20 at 5:00 p.m. ET. If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 23 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Minni cheers for the tip re resting!

2old we looked to see if there was a 10k at Berlin but there only seems to be the kids race which I don't qualify for! We are in Mexico in October & there is a HM on which Barry is planning to run and a 10k which I am planning to run. Nice early start at 6am due to the heat! image 

Freemers I take it it's your Birthday tomorrow? Have a great day image

Up and out early tomorrow - 6 miles.

• Nine dress shops SS! Epic! You should surely find one during your trip. Like Free's sister I ended up with the first one I tried on... Best to rest the calf before starting P&D if it's still sore, damn work shoes!  

Barry I started in Pen E too.  It took about 5 minutes to cross the start line. I was planning on running the first 2K at MP + 15 seconds so the crowded start wasn't an issue - although that was aiming for sub-3:30 rather than 3:15!  I do think there's a lot to be said for starting off that bit slower anyway, there's so many miles to make the time up. Something to bear in mind is that there were runners with Pen F and G on their numbers in pen E so I'm sure if it's very strict - you could try and jump further forward. 
    There are pacers in every pen and I'm not sure if they aim to run their target to chip time.  I got to about 20K last year bang on target for 3:28 (which was my eventual finish time) - a 3:30 pacer came flying past and disappeared into the distance, never to be seen again!

Enjoy the club handicap Ant, sounds like you've managed to get some good training in while in Cornwall.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    AA - that's rotten.

Barry - in Berlin I remember the start area being quite chaotic, with toilet access constrained by small spaces in the park and lots of people confused of where to go causing blockages. Be prepared to use the bushes! Its lovely at the end on a nice day - we sat under the trees in the park and had a couple of erdinger alcoholfrei's that are poured out ready for you.

Thanks for the lsr tips - think I'll try a 5 easy, 5 old MP, 5 steady, 5 new MP for my long run on monday.

Club 5M last night. 33.45, about 10s faster than the one I did in june, and 2nd lady (although the 1st and 3rd were taking it easy and usually beat me by way more. They were barely ruffled at the finish, I was in bits... The garmin started beeping uncontrollably 3M in - one guy I passed said he thought it was the terminator coming up behind him when he heard it...

Parkrun in copenhagen tomorrow - here's hoping to see that 20.xx. image
  • PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Carrot & KFC How are the meeting points at the end of Berlin Mara? Will I be able to find Barry easily? image

SS Good luck with the wedding dress shopping. Something I never got to do as we booked our wedding on a Monday & were married on the Wednesday of same week!

No run for me this morning as had a terrible night's sleep so will go this evening after I've been to the supermarket which is a challenge in itself! image 

• Morning all.

SS- when are you back? Perhaps we could meet in Basingstoke if you're around for a few weeks this time? Or even Tadley?

Barry - I loved Berlin. First time I went sub 3;30! Never had a problem queuing for loos as everyone seemed to be weeing in the bushes in the park!!

Pink - well done for listening to your body. I did Berlin on my own, so got a tuktuk back to my hotel and returned to the airport for 4:30 flight home!

I went to the physio on Wednesday and she did some ultrasound and some electrical pulses type thing. Docs yesterday for some strong anti inflammatories and I will rest now until the sprint tri on Sunday which I've definitely decided to do. I will make my decision about the Half Ironman after that. The option of the swim and bike is always there though then bunk off the run...

• 2old - I've previously  blown a 1:31 and 1:33 at halfway and I've missed out when I've hit halfway at 1:37,  but I agree it's always good to have some in the bank at halfway, can't see me ever running  a negative split. 

Minni -  Disciplined pacing from you, it is so easy to get carried away in the first half when it all feels so "easy".

kfc - Very nice 5 miler. Will either be celebrating or commiserating after Berlin so beer will be involved alcohol free or not.

Thanks all for the Berlin info, can't wait.  20 miles for me this morning, good conditions.  3 slow 3 steady and repeat 2 more times with 2 on the end to make 20. Splits as follows:

Miles
    1 to 3       8:21,7:59,7:57
    4 to 6       7:11,7;11,7:04
    7 to 9       7:46,7:50,7:48
    10 to 12   7:12,7:12,7:17
    13 to 15   7:32,7:45,7:30
    16 to 18   7:09,6:56,7:11
    19 to 20   7:28, 7:20

Gels taken at mile 7 and 14 , slow was a bit quick in places so  just under 2 hours 30 in total for 7:29 avg so very happy with run.  That's my 8th 20(or more miler) any advice, regarding long runs,  what to do for the next couple of weeks.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-fingers crossed the physio has done her magic.

Barry-maybe another 20?-slow.. but it wont really matter assuming your taper will include an 18 then a 12/14 in the 3 weeks before.Looking back I did my last 2 ,20 mile LRs before Berlin at an average of 7.29mm. Most important is  not to be tempted to squeeze something extra which could result in injury..but you know that anyway. I cant negative split either.

KFC-maybe 19.xx?

Pink-very humid at the mo so no suprise sleep is difficult

Missing the beach nowimage

• Hi all,

lots going on at the moment and I log on to 6 pages to read through.

Daren - nice 5k after the late night. Still a good time considering.

Carrot - in the conditions you describe that's an excellent resultimage

Barry/Pinklady - sound like you may need a referee in Mexico for the swim. if so I am available if its all expenses paid!!

AA - nice swimming there, bad news about the injury and hopefully the ultrasound will reveal some positive news.

2old - nice 13 there.

SS - good intervals.

Minni - congratulations on the first place category. Take it easy for the next few weeks and you will smash the GNR.

Brol - nice 15 there.

Had three long runs this week, 2 at 15 and 1 at 17. Not done any fast stuff or speedwork as work has been manic this week so concentrated on slow steady endurance runs. Next race planned is looking like the redcar half unless something else can be fitted in sooner. One of my runs this week was a 5am start and the dark morning are here for the next 7 months. The next time we see light mornings London will be just around the cornerimage.

• Really hope the ultrasound and rest helps you AA.

Great result at the club run last night kfc, enjoy Copenhagen parkrun (hope you've packed the barcode) - sub 21 is there for the taking.

Pinklady the meeting point is a long road under the trees in the Tiergarten. Very straightforward - alphabetical meeting points, just agree on the letter and hope Barry can remember which one it is after running 26 miles!  Hope you manage to get out tonight for that run, I find Friday nights after a week at work are the hardest to motivate myself.  Especially after the big shop! Just remember what your goals are, it's worth getting out once you're out the door.#

Barry you should be having a big celebration regardless of the result when you finish Berlin, you've worked hard to come back from injury.  As per 2old's recommendation, maybe just a slow 20M but don't try to do anything silly.  The hard work is done now, the taper is in sight, just get to that start line strong, rested and ready to smash it.  Then enjoy Oktoberfest afterwards!

I hate it when the dark mornings close in Shildon! Not tempted by Middlesbrough 10K next week?

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Speed work only hurts at the time and you feel so good when its done, pain is temporary, pride is permanent.

A very old quote from DD (circa January 2011!) but the thought of the morning for me - today was 9M with 6 @ HMP.  It really wasn't that bad to be honest.  Although after the 6M I did sit down on a bench for a minute or two while I dripped sweat and got my breath back.  Then shuffled home. 

• Hi everyone. Quick check in from me. I'm in Bournemouth working on my tan on the beach. image Have managed 1 x 10 mile run and that's it this week. image Coming home tomorrow so back in training Sunday. 

• Near disaster here, back wheel knackered and I was lucky not to crash out on a steep s descent today. However, against all the odds, the tiny village we are staying in has a bike shop and I have managed to acquire a new wheel ( not without difficulty) and it is game on for the 'Circle of Death' - around 130 miles and 17,000ft of ascent in the next two days. Wish us luck..............

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- glad you survived that near miss. Can't say I envy your next two days but hope all goes well.

Spoons- nothing wrong with spending time on a beach nor a 10 mile rrun 

Carrot- DD may be right but it was speed work that did for me in April. Tough HM session 

Shild - just under 50 miles in 3 runs- impressive 

minni - hope your LR goes well tomorrow .

hoping to run again tomorrow too 

• O4S - Get your excuses in earlyimage, glad you got your wheel fixed, and enjoy the 'Tourmalet'.

Here's a recovery tip I think we're all good at. Mark Renshaw, Mark Cavendish's 'lead out' man last year, says it's very simple. If you're standing up, you should be lying down, and if you're not lying down, you should be eating, and that's it, simples. 

• Pinklady, if the finish area looks a bit of a nightmare, try scoping out local bars and agree to meet Barry in there.  That's our tried and trusted method of meeting up image  You're doing brilliantly on the rehab, well done.  One of the hardest parts of it all is readjusting your mindset from "I'm so miserable because I'm not doing anything like what I used to", to "yay, look at what I am managing to achieve!!" and you seem to have got that sussed so nice one!

Minni, I've been stretching the calf a lot and rubbing ibuprofen gel into it.  It felt like the 'wrong' sort of pain to use the foam roller on but it is certainly feeling much better now so I think I will try a run later on today to see how it holds up.  I'm back for two weeks from 13th Sept image

Barry, I have tried to use pacers twice and both times I have felt like I'm not running "my" race and I didn't like it.  If you are confident in your own pacing ability, you will not need them.  It's quite nice to run with other people, granted, but unless you know the pacer really well and how they are going to approach the race, you're kind of at their mercy.  

2Old, I'm only teasing about the heat image

Ant, wow, those were some hills!!!  Great training, though.

Free, blimey, hadn't thought of Harrods, perhaps I should put it on my list....???  Nah, I think 9 shops is enough!!  It's purely the worry of being over here and not being able to pop to London whenever I feel like it.  If I can do the 'first dress I try' trick, I'll be exceptionally happy to cancel the rest of my appointments!!  Hope you have a brilliant birthday and enjoy celebrating image

KFC, nice five miler, loving the Garmin overdrive!!  Enjoy Copenhagen.

AA, I am back on Fri 13th and in Basingstoke for the Fri and Sat.  So if you're free Sat 14th, let's try and get together then image  All the best for tomorrow, let's hope the

• ...rest does your PF good.

Shildon, looks like you're doing some really good solid endurance stuff, well done.

Carrot, great speedwork, both physically and mentally.  Nice work image

Spoons, nice tanning image

O4S, wow, well done on averting disaster.  Good luck for the next stint!!!

Simon, I think my OH has that recovery stuff down pat!!!

So my calf has been very sore, but getting better every day.  I think it was just a very bad (and weird) case of DOMS as I did not pull or tweak anything during my circuit class and felt no pain at all after it, only pain and stiffness when I woke up.  I did a spin class yesterday and whilst it hurt at times, never really bad and it definitely felt looser afterwards.  I'm going to go on the TM right now so let's see how it holds up to some running action.....

• Morning all, a whole week's worth of posts to catch up on!

Well done on the HM last week Carrot - still an excellent time, especially given the heat. I always find hot weather makes such a difference.

Nice 10k Minni - I know how much you love them image - and great 5-miler too kfc.

AA - sorry to hear about the ongoing PF probs. Really hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Barry - another great long run. Things are looking very good for you to smash Berlin.

Impressive mileage Shildon!

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• I've had my best training week for ages. Monday night's long run (2 hours off road - not sure how far) was one of those where I felt like I could have run forever, Wednesday's pyramid session with the club was very encouraging as I'm definitely edging closer to the Group A fast boys, and then this morning I had a 10k pace session.

These progressive sessions, for anyone who's interested (they're slightly adapted from something I read on another thread here), are basically 10k long with efforts at 10k pace and "rests" at steady pace with the efforts getting longer and the rests shorter each week (so you might start with 5 x 1000m with 1000m rest and progress to 5 x 1600m with 400m rest). The proof remains to be seen when I run my next 10k race, but I think they're an excellent idea and would really recommend them for anyone targeting a 10k.

Anyway, this morning was 5 x 1400m with 600m rests. Felt very hard by the last rep but very pleased with splits of 6:13mm/6:12/6:13/6:17/6:19 for the reps, with the recoveries all at 7:3xmm. Best of all, time for the whole 10k session was 41:06 image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

hiya folks, quick check in from me after the first half of our hols. managed 4 runs of about 6 miles each, a Killer MTB tour and 2 hikes. Everything is hard work but great fun 

• O4S - hope you're ok. And your bike! Enjoy the climbs. Don't think I could manage that at all but I'm pretty jealous because I bet it's beautiful!

SS - I've put it in the diary but that would be lovely. 

Daren - brilliant effort there. About time you got back into the racing game again!! You'll smash it. 

Reading Sprint triathlon for me tomorrow. the big test for the PF which seems to feeling better but hasn't been properly tested for a few days. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Shildon There was nearly a spare ticket for Mexico but eldest daughter is definitely coming with us now! Although she's a lifeguard so can bring her whistle to ref in the pool!

Carrot Thank you for the info re meeting point for Berlin - that's my main worry that I lose Barry when he finishes!

SS Bar is a good tip for a meeting point!

I'm quite determined once I have my mind set & have not let my op get to me or stop me from running or swimming image. Good that your calf is getting better!

Chickadee - hol sounds like fun & some good runs

AA Good look with the Triathlon tomorrow image

Just about made it round the supermarket last night although I'm not a shopper so can't think of anything worse to do! Did not run last night as late home from work but went out this morning & had to cut it short as I have been ill for the past couple of days so it was a very slow plod of 3 miles image - better than nothing!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- hope the sprint tri goes brilliantly. Relax on the run

PInk - cant find anywhere to record a supermarket run on my log. Three miles is about 5k so that's good

Chick- glad to see you chilling in the mountains

Simon- that recovery tip sounds just how Miss 2Old operates- sleep and food are what matter 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kicked out of site so will try again .Day didn't start well - bike stolen from shed with a tv - grrrrrr . The gods think i shouldnt cycle.So I ran instead later -pretty happy 8.25miles 6.55mm average. Maybe beach running has benefits . Pity I've missed the LRs as I'd quite fancy a marathon in a month.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AA - very best of luck for tomorrow.  :y;

2old - whoa speedy stuff. Crap about the bike and telly. image

Chick - has your Boston entry opened yet? 

A great 16 miler for me this morning finishing at 7:25 pace. Really enjoyed it.