RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• AA: relax! What time are you aiming to register, rack?

Simon: Bloody hell, glad i live in rural Wilts / Dorset, not many toe rags around here. Enjoy the TV

Woke up to find out that a friend and Triatlete was killed whilst out riding his bike in Dubai this morning, not a good start to the day.

went to speedwork last night, tough stuff but you feel so good at the end! Still havent dug out tri gear or readied bike, better get on with it!

• 2old - yeah I've done 1 open water swim in London, our lake is open till October I think - part of the Broxbourne white water center for the Olympics - I think it may even be floodlit. I haven't done enough swimming yet for it to get boring! I am just enjoying gliding along the water.

Simon - I agree with 2old, you should definitely report it to the police because something like that could actually kill someone. 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Simon - unbelieveable.  How unlucky.  Thats gonna be sore, hope it heals fast.

DD/AA - I suspect you'll both be well under 6.30 - hope you both have a great race.  Its way easier than a marathon AA - dont panic, you'll breeze it.

Bro - its coming back - nice run.  Hope you have a good run in the half.

Becs - congratulations!  Cant believe the knee frustrations continue.  May be good to share notes with oompa?

Oompa - good to hear round 1 went well.  Still chance for an unusual body graft in round 2...

Barry - cotton wool for that calf - you are going way too well to risk anything right now!  You could volunteer instead?

Pink lady - you are definitely due a race - and parkrun is a great place to start.  You'll have a stormer the way you are improving right now

Club league race last night, 3M, last one in the series.  Felt a bit CBA and didnt have the best run, but counted as 3rd lady home from my club so hope we placed in the team comp.  Got back in time to see Wawrinka play a stormer - looks like Stan vs Nole will keep me up late on Saturday.

Adding to the racers, I've got a low key sprint tri on Sunday.  The swim is around a carp filled castle moat, which I'm disproportionately excited about.  

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-as per DD-relax! Glad foot improving.Definately cut out the anti inflammatories starting  from now.

DD-still a stray sheep/cow/badger/rabbit can be just as dangerousif you are in the country. Sorry to hear about you Dubai mate-my OH hates me cycling for that reason but I guess it wont stop you.Looks like youll be in speedos on Sunday

Ant-sounds an impressive swim center. 'Enjoying gliding'..ha ha.. Ive never glided more of a random thrash.

• Simon -  Nightmare, very sad what some people will do.  There was a story in the local paper last year about someone getting caught in the face while cycling by some wire -  nasty. Careful with the daytime tv, Pinklady got hooked and has Jeremy Kyle on series link.image

2old - Decent comeback long run. Left calf this time and around the back so not my long term inner right calf issue coming back - thankfully.  Feeling a lot better today.

AA - Positive news.

• AA - Can i have your leftover anti-imflammitory pills... I'm going through them at a rate of knots!image

DD - Sorry to hear about your friend.

2old - Storming 20 sir.image Weren't you tempted to drag the bisbelieving little scally along with you for the final 9.5???image

Not been a good day in the Oompa household as child no. 1 is at home (why do they get so much time off in 6th form?) and is studying really hard... Criminal Minds, C.S.I, Numbers, Lie To Me etc... My Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women morning plans have been thwarted, harumph!!!image

The wrappings come off the knee this evening and i'm not looking forward to it.image At the moment it doesn't feel like it's mine, and that someone else is controlling it.

It won't turn corners with the rest of my body, it won't bend, and sometimes it flatly refuses to move from the floor and i'm convinced that someone has put Uhu on the floorboards!!!image 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry - that's good news it's a different calf so now hoping it fixes quickly as it seems to be doing 

Oomp- there was a cluster of them and even tho the average age must have been 9 I thought it better to put my foot down and get the hell out of there . Sixth formers need lots of sleep... So why haven't mine improved on their 20s? Looks like you will have to limit yourself to running in straight lines. 

• Police report done, and going to police station tomorrow, apparently they've had many  incidents reported. 

2old - Thanks for the heads up Re CICA

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- hope you've reported it in time - hows the pain and suffering going ?

• hi guys, last day on hols image

Boy, you lot were busy posting! Sorry, have not read everything but the crap fairy seems to have made the rounds what with Simon coming off the bike, Redder's work situation and injury, 2old's shed break in and becs' ongoing knee trouble ...

oomps: hope your 2nd knee op goes well.

AA: best of luck for the HIM.

• 10 miles this afternoon @ 6.50 with 5 x 1m intervals @ 5.45... Carling don't do dreams, but if they did... image

Must check what these tablets are???

• OMG! have just achieved my greatest athletic achievement (admittedly in a pretty mediocre selection). A D&V virus swept through the cycling group starting yesterday and I was one of the first affected. Having lost dinner from the previous night and that morning's breakfast I set off to ride a mere 35 miles with 4,200 ft of ascent. Half way up the second col BA started to feel queasy and was soon throwing up at the side of the road. It was steaming hot and we really struggled on the gentlest ascents, but got to the end with just enough energy to get up the stairs and into bed. Later we managed a cup of tea each, which I lost in spectacular fashion shortly after.

So no dinner and a small handful of cornflakes with a glass of water for breakfast and I set off to ride 60 miles over 4 cols with 8,500 ft of ascent. I drank water but ate nothing all day and by col 4 was at the absolute limit - but I made it and amazingly was firs

• Why diodes RW keep chopping off my posts?image

Sadly BA had to take the train with 5 others as none of them felt well enough to ride. Don't think I can eat tonight but only one day left - 63 miles and 5,000 ft of ascent so should be OK. Another day of cycling and not eating should sort out the holiday excesses!

Simon: that's the sort of stupid stuff we get in Bristol on the bike paths, luckily the last time it happened it was daylight and we were able to stop. Hope you recover quickly

Good luck AA and DD and anyone else racing - can't keep up with the rate the thread moves

• Minni A PB would be nice tomorrow image Seriously though maybe 30 but a bonus anything under! I'm not really sure what to expect but been told Park run is for fun but I've been looking at the times to see where I may fit - not that i'm competitive!

2old I go swimming training but have been moved into a lane with some triathletes! Now I've overcome my fear of swimming under water would give an open water swim a go but would not consider it until next year.

AA Good news about the foot & good luck. I'm hoping Barry will be sensible & support rather than run tomorrow! Will see.

Simon62w I was off for 5 weeks at the beginning of the year & watched Keeping up with the Kardashians, Doctors, Cake Boss & C.S.I New York! Occasionally Jeremy Kyle!! image oh & some car programme where they bought a wreck, did it up & sold it!

Good Luck to anyone else racing this weekend

• O4S - you are made of stern stuff but bloody hell that is amazing. A true inspiration. Hope you feel better and can manage tomorrow ok. 

DD - I will aim to be in Henley @11/12 register then rack at the business school and might head back for the briefing. What about you? Did you get my mobile number? If so call me when you're around. Are you staying over? I'm all packed up with loads of gear for all occasions. 

oomps - you are welcome to my uber strong tablets. they don't like my tummy! Will do what 2old says and stop them tomorrow. 

• AA: have sent you my number on FB. Havent recieved snything from you. Will try to get to registration before 1200. See you there.

• 2old- Pain a steady 4/5 out of 10, awkward sleeping, and being right handed, a pain trying to use my left hand for everything.

O4S - wow, great persistence and performance 

DD - Those Arab drivers are crazy. I would of said you're safer in the uk, but after yesterday, maybe not

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good luck those racing tomorrow. 

Looking forward to the swim/bike/run smackdown on Sunday!

• Good luck for AA/DD and any other racers tomorrow.

Hope the parkrun went well Pinklady.

O4S, that sounds horrendous. Your powers of endurance and mental strength are incredible.

Redwood, sorry to hear things aren't going great for you at the moment. Been in the same position re: the job a couple of times over the last few years so can sympathise.

Simon, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Some people are so stupid.

This morning was another of those horrible 10k sessions and was a real test of mental strength as it was one of the toughest sessions I've ever done. 5 x 1600m with 400m steady recovery. Wanted to give up after the 2nd one. Rep paces were 6:15mm/6:15/6:16/6:18/6:22, recoveries all at 7:4x, except the first one when I had to stop for 10 secs to tie up a shoelace. Despite that the whole session took 40:43 for 10k image

• Pink & BB - Come on, spill the beans... How did the YKW go?image

AA & DD - Good luck tomorrow guys. What's your race no.'s so I can track it?

I've just loaded up with more painkillers after the most awful night, where I got precisely half an hour's sleep!image

Dropped off and had one of those "falling" moments which woke me up violently whilst simultaneously twisting and jarring my knee. This coincided with painkillers wearing off and I've pretty much been in pain ever since.image

Apparently, OH tells me that I was requesting amputation at 3.20 this morning!image

• Hi all,

Another busy week on the thread,

AA - well done with the tri and good luck with this weeks.

DD -  Good luck also with your tri.

Kfc - nice parkrun pb and the 20.

Free - nice 15 there.

Barry - you seem to be improving with every run. Just ready to peak for the marathon hopefully.

Brol - good progress with the 10ks there.

Ant - nice 5k there Ant and what others said find a flat one and a quick time is possible.

Simon - hope you are ok. Kids do not realise the consequences these pranks can lead to.

2old - nice swift 10 there.

Pinklady - nice to see you running again and hope the parkrun went well.

Red - Sorry that you are having a bad time at the moment but running does help a lot.

Becs - congratulations

Oompa - hope the op went well and you have a speedy recovery.

Carrot - good luck at Middlesbrough, nice pb course there.

Had a decent week this week with a speed session thrown in on Wednesday. Long run planned for tomorrow. Skipping 10ks for now and doing 3 halfs in the next 6 weeks.

Good luck to all racers and runners this weekend.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Shildon - which 3 halves? I also have three coming up. 

Daren - boy that sounds though. Well done!

Oompa - that happens to me all the time but not good when it leaves you in pain!! 

• Hi Minni - Redcar, Carlisle and either Coniston 14 or Bridlington. I know you are at GNR (good luck) but which others are you at.

• Daren - Very quick, you are flying.

Ladies first, Pinklady, especially it being your first. Yeah I ranimage.

• Good afternoon

Was quite nervous this morning setting off before the run. Did a short run to warm up with my OH.

Made my way towards the middle to start off & decided not to go off too quick, but ran the first mile really well but didn't enjoy it that much. So it was a nice surprise to see 9.27 logged on the Garmin. Increased my pace for the last two but started slowing a little towards the end. Barry ran beside me the last bit to give "encouragement". Very surprised & happy with my Garmin finish time of 29.40 as had been swimming training last night so thought my legs would still be very tired! image

A nice glass of vino to celebrate me thinks!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Pinklady!  Enjoy the wine.

Shildon - GNR, Redcar and Jedburgh halves coming up.  Coniston used to always be in March.  Have they changed it?

• Minni - Coniston was cancelled due to weather I think. Will look out for you at Redcar, I have done Jedburgh before have you ? it's a nice course start and finish in the town and out on country lanes. I think theres a hill at 11 ish but apart from that its ok.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes Shildon, I've done it twice.  Got a pb there once too.  Its not everyone's ideal course but it seemed to suit me.  That hill at mile 11 is a bit of a killer though!  I've done Coniston 14 a few times too.  Not always the fastest course but its a cracker too.