RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Henley Half Ironman

This year I had never cycled more than 40 miles in one go so signing up for this challenge was always gonna be a massive ask. The training all went well until July when I developed the PF which scuppered the running in the run up but it meant I did a lot more cycling. After last weeks sprint tri I was really apprehensive that I would manage it. As you all know!! Anyway, rocked up dead early, it was still dark and very foggy! The ironmen went off @6:40. Then the nerves kicked in! When my wave was called we were ushered into a pen before jumping into the river. The river was warmer than the outside. I tried to calm my panic. It was really busy with people hitting me and kicking me. But I remained calm and kept going. One thing I did get right was my swimming training so I felt confident all the way through. Took my time in T1 to wrap up warm as it was so cold.  The bike was either up or down with some long drags and a really steep hill and once I had concurred that at 30 miles I felt like I could focus on the next point. I was having little chats with myself the whole time. image My back had started to ache so I was looking forward to getting off bike.  After T2 I knew the run was flat. And 2 laps. The outward stretch went on forever and I couldn't see where we turned!! My foot was starting to hurt. Especially for the mile on grass!  I was really taking it carefully though and I didn't want to walk. The end of the first lap went right passed the finish line. Round again for another lap and I believed I was going to finish it all. The second lap was really painful. I was limping badly by the end and it was amazing to finish. Great to see DD flying on the bike a few times and at the end he told me he had won his group. Great news. image One thing is for sure - I won't be doing that again!! Slept like a baby and feel like I've been hit my a truck, but I did it!!

swim was 40 mins, bike was 3:42 and run was 1:56

• Deleting duplicate post image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Wow - so much great racing this weekend - with everyone either nailing pbs, doing great comeback performances or winning bling!

Nice fantasy session oompa - keep taking the pills...

Another great 10k session from Daren

Awful news about your clubmate DD

Great first parkrun pink lady - I predict you'll soon take some big chunks out of that time!  Nice PB barry.

Great 10k pb ant, thats a big improvement.

Speedy half 2old - hope that knee and achilles are feeling better?  

Nice running kiwi - great to see your paces back in single figures

Super pb carrot, nice to hear you had a great run too.

DD - nice racing, and good work on the bling

AA - a massive well done!  Hope the foot recovers quickly.  

• DD -  Well raced and congrats on the first place.

AA - You sound very pleased with yourself and so you should be, very well done - rest well and get that foot better.

Even though my left calf was OK during and after racing Saturday, it was tight yesterday and still today, so no running till tomorrow at the earliest.  It does feel better after a long walk with the dog, happy birthday Millie(5 today).  Don't want to loose any fitness before Berlin but more so don't want to arrive in Berlin with a niggle.

• AA & DD: imageimageimage  my hats off to you - fab achievement the two of you. 1st M55 - get in!!! 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Sprint tri for me yesterday, and I only bloody won it  image.    OK ok, it fit all my usual criteria when picking races - small, local, all the fast folk racing elsewhere (henley I guess), but you can only race who turns up right?  image

500m swim round a castle in the warm moat, then a pretty 22k bike - kept passing a man in a pointy hat on the climbs only for him to come back past me on the flats.  6k run on bumpy grassy tracks kept the mind working.  Spotted a lady about a minute ahead which was great motivation to push on.  I passed her and kept pushing all the way to the end.  

Got a big tacky trophy, bottle of plonk and free next race entry, and to stand on top of a podium so steep the V70 winner could barely make it up.

Most importantly I beat OH in each section, but he was only 30s off me on the bike - closer than usual...  Must do more biking...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-brilliant effort and more bling to add to your collection-it must have mad a change thinking you only had to to do half the usual; distance.Has this wet your appetite to go back to a full IM and which one?

AA-excellent stuff-nice report which only touches on all you went through to get there and then do it. What was the river swim like? Dont know how wide it is there and how was the current? Cracking times anyway. Now get that heel fixed

Barry-I wouldnt worry about losing fitness at this stage though we never believe those words. I had calf trouble this time last year before Liverpool and had some physio used calf guards/compression and laid off the LR and fast stuff, and avoided hills.It seemed to work

Unfortunately my right achilles has got in the act and is playing up nowimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

English Half Marathon-Warrington

Inspired by all the going on here and frustrated by my patient rehabilitation ,I found a race I could turn up on the day to register for. Not the best of preparation having had a curry ,wine and a late night on Saturday but you have to take your opportunities when you can.

Up at 7 and arrived at Victoria Park Warrington at 8 and registered .By the time I had got things together and bags deposited and warmed up we were lining up to start. It was fresh cool bright and sunny and likely to get warm.

We watch paratroopers do an impressive synchronised landing and then the  race started.I decided to go with the flow but try and stay just under 7mm .I was soon running with a guy carrying a balloon who was pacing sub 1.30 and thought I would stay with him but he was really running nearer 6.40/6.45 mm and it was too tough to stick to him when the long hills arrived in the 3rd and 4th Mile.I then reverted to trying to stay around 7 or just under.

The race soon found itself winding around the pretty country Cheshire villages at the edge of the town and lots of supporters cheered us along. Some of the race went through country parks which were a bit winding but at least a break from the tarmac.

My Garmin said I did the first 10k in just under 43mins so I thought I might get around 1.31 mins.The 8th mile went up again and i slowed down again but from then on it was down hill or flat so I could make up a bit of time.

The final mile took us back into the park and to the finish.I knew by then 1.30 was on and maybe just under.I sprinted for the last quarter mile and finished just over 1.30. Pretty pleased to say the least

Splits-6.49,6.48,7.00,7.21,6.52,6.56,6.52,6.48,7.09,6.45,6.32,6.47,6.37,0.43. I think I negative split this race which I never do normally with a second 10k faster than the first.

I was 99th in a field of 1500+ and 11th in the M50 category.

Now to mend my right achilles

• 2old: very impressive running.

as to going back to a full IM I dont think so, half is far enough and the recovery much quicker , Im fine today no DOMs or any other aches just a bit weary. I was going to retire from Tri but think i will do one or two a year. Just wish the UK wasnt so cold!

• DD / AA - brilliant races from both of you.  AA - I am so pleased you got through it! Hopefully no lasting effects and you can get back to running image

Ant / Carrot - super quick 10ks there, you are both running really well. Carrot, must be a great confidence boost ahead of the GNR image

2old - brilliant time, I really hope the right achilles is just a grumble and nothing more.

kfc - yay we have a winner image.  Really well done on the top placing and bling image

Barry / pinklady - well done both of you for the YKW image

Chick - hopefully the Boston entry will go smoothly for you today.

6 miles tempo Saturday and 14 LSR yesterday.  Not very exciting!

• Kfc: forgot to say congrats, champ

• AA - brilliant well done. How's the foot today?

KFC - nice bling

2OLD - good running

• Jeez - what a weekend of racing success.

DD - nice bling. 

AA - you have done brilliantly, amazing you had done so little biking and swimming when you started out, definitely an inspiration. 

kfc - you keep collecting those trophies, fantastic.

2old - rest that achilles! Maybe it is from over-compensating?

Barry - you won't lose much fitness at all - even if you took a whole week off now I reckon, and the advantage is that you willl be well rested as well.

Carrot - just reread your race report and saw that your PB was 42 dead before as well. That darn extra second!

In the spirit of resting, I haven't run a step since Saturday image Might have to get the trainers out tomorrow thought. 

• wow, KFC - you are flying! Excellent win image  was the guy in a pointy hat in fancy dress wizard stylee or was it one of them Darth Vader type helmets to make you cycle faster image?

2old: brilliant splits and well done on negative splitting the race.

90 mins to go till Boston registration opens ... hope the site doesn't crash on first attempt!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC-blingtastic-well doneimage

Ant-no choice but to rest-guess you are right about the cause

DD-you just cant lose that wet suit can you-what do you mean UK cold? Its been hot as hell this yearimage

Chick-bet it does crash-post when you finish registering

Free-its the unexciting bits that make the other bits exciting

Rest/benched today

• registration went through without a hitch ... e-mail confirmation already received ... now I have to wait till October for official confirmation while they verify my qualifying time... which shouldn't really be a problem since Hamburg marathon also features on the list from which you pick your qualifying race.

Entry fee is USD 225 imageimage

2old/DD: the only thing that threw me a bit: they asked for overall placing. I quickly looked it up on the Hamburg results page. Luckily they put it on there!

Good luck!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-Im registered too..no crash...now for the wait until October for confirmation or rejection. Yes that fee was a shock and there is  no deferral for any reason next year, so if I get in , I have to decide what to do about VLM the week before.-do both  obviously- Good point about the finish position-its always a good idea to record all the details elsewhere as these things sometimes disappear

• yeah, I read the bit about no deferral image  on the other hand, our US trip is booked anyway and we are only doing it once. If for whatever reason I end up injured and unable to race then we still have the amazing trip across the US of A to do and will just enjoy the Boston experience as spectators. OK, it's 225 down the drain but we'll get a long sleeve top image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-I suppose it will be a collectors item in view of the unfortunate and unsual background

• some will probably end up on EBay, just like race medals image

• KFC That's brilliant news - congratulations! image

Great report AA & hopefully you will rest the foot image

Barry Maybe resting now will be good? You can give encouragement from the side lines if I take part in the Park Run this week! image Not long to go now until that important run!

Rest day today. Just made my dog a birthday cake - yes i'm slightly mad but she's such a sweet dog!

Short run tomorrow before work to break in new trainers!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Nice negative split 2old - look after that achilles...

DD - no way you can retire from tri, theres too many great races here you gotta do

Chick/2old - hope you get your places confirmed.  Not my bag at that price though!

chick - haha wish it had been a wizards hat.  i know I like my niche races but I'm yet to see that!

This weeks 15 long run done.  After finding last weeks 20 tough I took the same approach for the 15, but without 5 of the slower miles.  So 5 at 8.30, 5 at 7.55, 5 at 7.38.  Unsurprisingly it felt way better without the extra 5, hope it feels better next week when I take it back up to 20! 

• Go DD, sounds like you enjoyed the day having no pressure.  Hope you've warmed up now? Congrats on the trophy!

AA you have done so well getting through that, right on your target time too.  It just goes to show how strong willed you are finishing a HIM with a horrendously crippling foot injury.  You looked so happy in your photos too!!

Barry look after that calf!  You will not lose any fitness now. Calf raises off a step, stretches, ice, foam roll. You've come this far, your hard work is done, get to that start line fully fit.

kfc you can indeed only race who turns up, well done on the win image Great work catching the other woman up.

Well raced 2old, sounds like a lovely HM course.  Hope the achilles isn't too bad, not again image  Best get that fixed if you're planning on running Boston and VLM!! Madness.

Yes Ant the 42:00 was on a 'gun to finish' non chip timed course.  I swear my watch said 41:59!! It's been annoying me since May.  Rest is good image

Chick congrats on the Boston entry, the big American marathons all seem to have extortionate fees for overseas runners!!

I love the idea of a cake for your dog Pinklady! Nothing wrong with taking good care of your pet.  Enjoy the new trainers, I love that first run in a new pair.

I'm definitely turning into a lightweight, went out for curry last night and had two large glasses of wine - I felt rough this morning!! What's that all about?

• Just checking in to see some excellent running, awesome work on the PBs and podium places guys.

• Morning

4 miles for me before I head off for another busy day at work. Really pleased that 2 of the miles were 9mm! It must be the new trainers - I felt like sonic the hedgehog image

• nice running, pinklady image. I hope your dog liked the cake. My colleague made one for her dog too - it consisted of doggy biscuits and liver pate image

hi weeble, good to see you pop in. How's things at your end?

I had a shocking run this morning image  I felt bad when I got up, debating whether or not to go out but then thought, right, I'd better start to get into Boston shape. I struggled at 9:10 pace for about 9 miles and felt I had zero energy. Then my right hip started to play up and 2 miles from home the calf niggle set in again. TBH, been feeling rough for a few days now - struggling with my asthma and I think I picked up a slight chest infection. It was cold up in the mountains image

Sorry for sounding a bit whiny and depressive image

• chick - arrgh, maybe you've picked up a bug?

weeble - how's the recovery going?

carrot - my race wasn't chip-timed either - I lost around 5 seconds crossing the line, but it counts for naught image I will see it as a big motivation to go sub 42 next time round!

I have my first multi-sports race tonight and am a little nervous. It is just an aquathlon 250m open water swim followed by a 3km run. I am not sure whether to run in socks or not, because getting socks on wet feet will be a nightmare - and because it is such a short distance I guess minimising transition is essential.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning

Weeble-nice to hear from you

Pink-cant beat the first run in new trainers and yours must be good knocking 30secs off a mileimage

Chick-looks like age is catching up with youimage...just need to get back into the groove thats all..you'll be fine...and ages to Boston so dont worry

Ant -wear socks-nothing worse than blisters from wet feet. Practise the transition at home. Set your shoes out with socks laid out opened and a towel near. I use a little shoe horn to slide them on quickly.Are you using elastic pull laces-theyre good too. So much to think about for a short run ...crazy. Good luck

• 2old - cheers for that advice on socks. Dunno whether I will have time to practice - this race is meant to be the practice image. I could do the longer one, but my legs are still a little tired from the weekend's race.