RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Well done all you racers, AA, DD, KFC, Ant, Carot you all did great and anyone else I missed of. 

Chick - don't be depressed, there's always someone worse off than you, like meimage

Saw the orthopaedic team this morning, and confirmed my fears. It is dislocated and needs an operation to pull it back down. So seeing the surgeon on Thurs, for op date. I suppose after all the mega commutes I've done, and long training rides my luck would run out sometime. Good job it didn't happen before my charity bike ride, that really would of been a bummer.

• oh hell, simon - that really is rubbish news image   ((( )))

cheers 2old, it's what Mr. Chick said too image

I'm on echinacea, First Defence and ginger/lemon tea. That will sort it I hope. Can't afford to be ill after 3 weeks off image and a lot of the team on hols now image

good luck, Ant. 3k with no socks should be ok. Better than 3k with crumpled socks that give you blisters ...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- that injury is nasty hope you make a quick recovery

Chick- trust you to have another view on socks but then,  I have delicate feetimage

• Simon - nightmare image Although you'll be well versed in Loose Women soon...

Chick - get well soon!

Ant - good luck with the Aquathlon. I'd probably go for socks and just hope you don't fall over trying to get them on too quickly image

pinklady - I love running in new trainers...great feeling image

Hi weeble...long time no see. How are things?

A steady 5 for me today. I have a slightly tight hamstring - the same one as just before VLM - so just keeping the pace down a bit. All my own fault as I have been a bit slack on the stretching front image

• Back last night after 34 hour journey, which included cycling across central London with fully laden touring bikes in torrential rain image

1,500 miles, in excess of 80,000 feet of ascent [without a garmin on the bike can't work out exact figures], squillions of calories consumed but more expended as we have both lost 7 lbs weight.  BA petitioning for divorce and me planning a couple of trips for next year - and keeping an eye out for a lightweight road bike image

Ran into work this morning and no real effect of the trip felt, so club run tonight

AA imageimageimageimageimage

DD / KFC / Carrot  congrats on respective achievements

Simon (((( ))))

Chick don't push it too soon

Pinklady what sort of trainers??  Could use some help on the speed front image

Apologies for anything I have missed while away, once I have cleared the pile of paperwork at home and at work, done the washing and entered a few races things will be back to normal (or at least what passes for normal in our lives)

• crayzeeee stuff, O4S image  welcome back image

• O4S; welcome back to sanity, 

Chick: you will find your mojo

Simon: that sucks

Ant: no socks, wastes too much time in a short race, i never bother with them below 1/2 IM. Get elastic laces.

Club run tonight.

• Oh no Simon, rotten luck image Any idea when the op date will be?

Welcome back O4S, good to know you have your priorities sorted on your return (enter races, get club run in)

Chick some days everything just clicks and we feel brilliant when we're running and others.... well it's best just to write some days off! You know you're a better runner than one crummy run.  Hope you haven't picked up a chest infection.  Especially for work!

Ant you'll get that second - and more - the next time! For now enjoy that PB, you've knocked a lot of time off your 10K this year haven't you?  I'd be taking the extra 5-10 seconds to put some socks on.  Can't even imagine how many blisters I'd get without....

Free I only ever bother to stretch when something starts hurting image

• Shit Simon that's rubbish news sorry mate

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - what's dislocated? 

I have a sore calf. image

• Aquathlon done - and what fun it was too. On the socks point, I also canvassed the opinion of my club and no socks seemed to be the consensus, with a bit of vaseline on the heel and talc in the shoes. Worked a treat. I even came second in my race! Mind you there were less than 20 of us doing the shorter race.

Simon - what a nightmare - at least identifying the problem means that they can fix it.

O4S - legend, that sounds like a holiday and a half.

Minni - not the calf again.

Freemers - take care of that hammy.

• Excellent stuff, Ant!

Minni/Freemers: image

Jogged a slow 6 miles this morning, no Garmin, didn't want to depress myself any further. Good news is that I feel better, bad news is that my chest sounds like a rattle snake when I breathe in. I felt better after the run though and the run helped to put my hip back where it belongs so that pain has gone. Few more days of easy running and I should hopefully be able to shake the infection. Resting HR still a bit high but nowhere near yesterday's levels. Trying to think positive. Decided to bin Sunday's 10 mile race though. I have no speed in me right now and I'd rather focus on getting my health back.

Got an acceptance mail from Boston last night image - apparently they still need to verify my Hamburg time which shouldn't be a problem.

• Minni - 2 things dislocated, My brain from watching too much daytime TV and my right shoulder. Originally A&E said it was just displaced, but orthopedics yesterday said it's def dislocated and needs surgery. Seeing the surgeon tomorrow, to decide details and date hopefully. This is for the shoulder btw, not the brain, signed off for another 4wksimage

Chick - Boston will be special after last year.

O4S - How come it only took you 34hrs to cycle home image. Another epic trip, 

• image them silly buggers that caused the tumble in the first place, Simon. If only you knew who they were so you could sue them ...  brainless idiots. Someone could have died FFS!

• Chick - The roadworks were over a railway, and the police are still investigating, if the local council are responsible or Network rail. 1 the footpath was unlit, and didn't  advise cyclists to dismount. 2 If the rope used was from their site, were the materials/tools locked away securely? But yes it would be good to string the scallys upimage.

• Chick - glad you're feeling a bit better, but probably good decision to bin the race.

O4S - welcome home! Bet you're glad to sleep in your own bed again image

Ant - sterling work image

My hamstring was feeling much better today so decided to get my interval session done, as I am not sure I'll have a chance to do it on another day this week.  Today was 1km/1.5km/1km/1.5km/1km, with 200-300m recoveries. Each rep was a little faster - started at 14kph and ended at 14.8kph.  That last one was tough...but felt fantastic once they were done image 

• Simon: these drugs are getting better every day!! image

Still debating whether or not to give the Bristol HM a go on Sunday.  Club run proved that my legs are far from good after the cycle trip and don't know if three days is enough time for them to recover.  Having paid I might as well jog round but I think I will leave the garmin off and just see what happens [although I suspect 'not a lot' will be the answer]

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant-second is a good result -bet the no sock choice made the difference

O4S-I dont suppose a few days rest are planned after all that?No...didnt think so. Carry on inspiring us.

Simon-it is beyond comrehension that someone could set a deliberate trap like that...what sort of world do we live in?

Minni-why is it everyone seems to suffer calf trouble near a key race...hope it fixes fast. Is it the GNR on Sunday?

Free-back to intervals and tough but good ones too

Chick-Ive not heard from Boston which is a bit concerning as I registered a few minutes after you

Managed a 6 mile easy pace run last night but am now troubled with a pain in the inside of the back of the lower part of my right heel.Im not sure if its the achilles referring pain or something else. Any ideas?I see my physio next week but Im looking for a quick fix as I dont want my return to running to stall. Did an hours spinning this lunchtime instead.

• It would appear im coming to Boston as well! Had to wait until today as my BQ Time was "only" 18 minutes above the required time. Now i have a reason to get fit!

Simon: i hope the police have sucess but am guessing its unlikely

Freemers: i need to remember how it feels to blast intervals, speedy work.

last nights club run was suprisingly brisk, im starting to get fitter again now that i have resumed racing, have always prefered racing myself fit to actual training. However i went out on the bike today for two hours of hills and my legs started telling the old git up top that enough was enough, i persauded them to finish the planned ride but they werent happy!

• Excellent stuff, DD image

2old: I'm sure you'll get your confirmation shortly. Maybe they process girls first as there's less of them image. Hope you get rid of the pain image

O4S/DD: not surprised the legs aren't playing ball

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD/Chick- my Boston acceptance has arrived too ( subject to verification) . Not only do I have to get fit I have to get un- injured .

DD-your body is entitled to complain after Sunday and your club run ....get fit? ...pretty much there aren't you..... take it to another level  you mean . What's your plan?

• 2old: the plan is speed work & tempo runs, things i dont bother with if i dont have a target. Plus race myself to a new level of fitness Whilst pethaps most importantly losing weight.

• 2old - Thought of you today, watching daytime tv. On 'escape to the country ', a couple were moving to Wales to set up an Alpaca farm. I can see you and Alpacas have a similar hair style lolimage.

DD - Well done on the Boston entry.

Minni - Get the old trout out on your calfimage.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- I escaped from a Welsh farm in 1977 and have no intention oh returning image

DD- looks like a tough plan especially the weight bit- as quickly as I lose it my OH feeds me up . Bit early for a time target I suppose but?....mine are A # Get there ,A to do what I was hoping to do at VLM - get near 3, B .PB under 3.09, C . Beat  my last Boston time of 3.11, D sub3.15, E sub 3.20 for VLm QT, F, have a ball if I've done VLM the week before and to do this anyway even if I haven't 

• 2old - six targets! hedging your bets eh.

5 mile easy for me today, planning a club tempo session tomorrow. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant- got to have a goal.....or six. 

• Minni you know the drill for that calf... hope the trout is out of the freezer.

Good decision on the 10 mile race Chick, your chest doesn't sound good! Take it easy, get yourself better again.

Another four week Simon, some folks would be happy to take the time off but you must be so frustrated image

Second place sockless Ant! Well done, top 10% image

Nice intervals Free image Even better if the hamstring is OK.

Still get it done O4S, like you say leave the garmin at home and just enjoy it.  No rest for the wicked image

2old is it in the middle part of your heel (straight down from your calf and achilles) or at the side, below the ankle bone? If it's below the bone that's where mine was sore on and off for ages. Particularly on a morning.  Heel raises off a step work wonders, do them until fatigue and stretch afterwards.  Every hour if you can.  Always good to have a marathon back up plan, and a back up for the back up plan!

• Chickadee My dog loved the cake! Bless her - she's a Cocker Spaniel very cute & happy dog - very well looked after.

Simon62w Sorry to hear about your shoulder - how's the daytime TV going? Modern Family is very funny to watch!

Old4speed I wear Brooks GTS & the new pair were lovely!

Congratulations to all of you who have got into Boston.

After my YKW on Saturday i'm now keen to enter some events so have started looking to see what's on. Shame there is no 10k in Berlin as I would definitely run in that!

• Right I did it..... imageimage Full ironman distance race less than 12month after a stroke. Thank you all for the support you gave me in the weeks and months after it happened I needed it.

How did it go....

DD and AA have given you a good idea of conditions, cold and foggy to start and an odd shower in the middle of the ride and run never warm. My swim was never going to be fast but reasonable happy with 1:28:10, slow T1 8:59. Bike was good but second lap seemed to drag 6:28:13, better T2 3:38. I knew I would need to save a bit for the run and I came of the bike feeling good and was overtaking people straight away I had to hold back my pace and keep my heart rate in the right place. I knew a sub 4hr marathon would get me in sub 12hr for the race. I ended up running with a lad looking to do the same time and we paced each other in, but the last lap was murder, no injury just tired. 5k splits, 27:16, 28:07, 28:08, 28:11, 29:03, 28:14 marathon done in 3:47 and race in 11:56:00. Pirates are the best club mates and there colours are and amazing way to get supported on any race. The only question now is do I change my name or just add a dot.

I should be back in here more regularly now as my focus will shift to a spring marathon definitely sub 3:30 but maybe quicker not sure.

Thanks you all again.

• Wow, Scuba - you da maaaan imageimage   what a true inspiration you are. Really, really happy for you.

2oldnever wrote (see)

DD/Chick- my Boston acceptance has arrived too ( subject to verification) . Not only do I have to get fit I have to get un- injured .

told ya, didn't I image

Feeling crap today (again) image so nothing to report really. I'd love to get started with a long Boston buildup but it ain't happening right now.