RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-yes, correct, you told me! Thanks for the positivity. Think your climbing took more out of you than you think ...a bit of rest will set you up nicely for Boston training.Are you going to use any particular training schedule for Boston?

ST-awesome IM-get that tattoo. Im no expert but sub 12 is amazing for a first ...or is it the last? Whats next? Werent you injured when you started off on the IM campaign ?Bet you passed lots  in the run .

Pink-Im sure Barry will have lots of events in mind after Berlin when he looks to smash all his other PBs .

Carrot -pain/discomfort from the middle to the insideside but all at the bottom of the heel-Im sure its achilles trouble again so its back to the heel drop stretches.It feels a bit better so will try a run tonight

• 2old - sort of injured, hangover from the stroke effecting my shoulder several times as my swimming volumes increased. Not my last IM but not going longer than a half IM next year, sub 3:30 Marathon in the spring is my next target.

Sounds like a bit of a thread outing to Boston next year, have fun.

• 2old: plan is to use HADD until 14 weeks out, then my own version of P&D with mostly 70-75 mile weeks, probably peaking at 80. I've firmly binned any idea of trying more speedwork. Each time I do it I get injured or ill and lose my fitness. Whereas lots of slow miles suit me and still surprise me every now and again with a decent race time. I realise that this sort of approach will never translate into any stellar 5 or 10k time but I don't care much about stuff shorter than a half anyway image

Don't think it was the climbing - I deffo picked up some type of virus. One moment I'm hot, then I'm shivering. Resting HR is over 60 (normally it's 45), throat is sore and breath is rattling image.

• Wow - Scuba, great result! And a 3:47 in the IM marathon, that seems pretty darn quick. What is your standalone marathon PB?

Chick - 80 mile weeks! That would get me injured - or I'd lose the will to liveimage

• Scuba: top effort, it was good to meet you.

Chick; cant see me running 80 mile weeks, i will top out at 50 but keep the cycling and swimming going as well.

2Old: hope your sorted soon.

Swam 2K earlier, club speedwork tonight.

• DD - Good to meet you too mate, nice to see you are back in the pool already. Has the Mojo returned?

Ant - My stand alone mara PB is 3:32 from VLM 2012. I feel a lot fitter than I was then, trying to work out what to target in the spring but I suppose I should just keep up the training on HR and then test myself with a half and a couple of 10km closer to the time to set a target.

• Scuba - Fantastic effort, sub12 is very impressive for anyone, never mind 12mnths after a stroke, and sub4 mara is awesome. I bet if you check the results, there won't be many people who finished around 12hrs, doing the mara faster than you.

So saw the surgeon today, and op is next Tuesday 17th at Ormskirk , in and out the same day, all being well Gulp. Basically they're going to push the collarbone back down into place, and hold it there with various pins/plates etc, and attach any untorn ligaments. Then 4wks of immobility, then hopefully physio after that, if its all gone to plan. I'll look out for that PINKLADY in my daytime scheds

• Scuba - Congrats,  don't know much about the swim/bike but that is a impressive time for the mara and really well paced too, well done.  Definitely aim for quicker than sub 3:30 on that performance.

Simon -  Rubbish news, hopefully a speedy recovery after the op.

Minni - rest that calf.

After 4 days no running, left calf felt OK so decided on a 3 mile test run this morning, managed to get halfway down our road and I could feel every impact in same place, could have run through it but not worth the risk so headed back home. Will try again sat/sun.

Restrictions for Berlin, you have to pick your own number up from the expo where wrist band is attached and no wrist band no entry to start zone.  At the expo they'll be a "guess your time"  competition  - decisions decisions.

• Simon - x post, rubbish news about the injury not the op.

• Oh dear, Simon - 4 weeks of immobility! I feel a right old wuss going on about my stupid cold earlier image  hope the op goes well.

Ouch Barry - you may well end up extreme-tapering ... hope the calf settles.

Ant P/DD: you know I like my miles. 80 mile weeks don't half scare me as much as the word "interval" image  I think by now we've all pretty much figured out what works for us and what doesn't - some people get injured on high mileage, others on high intensity. It's probably just the elites that successfully combine both.

• Chick - I think you have to learn to embrace the pain with intervals image.

Scuba - that is a fantastic result, I'm so pleased for you after all your troubles.  Brilliant marathon at the end...3.47 was my marathon PB 4 years ago image

Simon - good that you have the date for the op....you will be going mad though after 4 weeks image

Barry - that is worrying with your calf image.  BTW I heard that Berlin is going to be a ballot from next year in case anyone else is thinking about it.

Rest day for me - from running at least.  A bit of a manic day at work so I feel bushed!

• Cuba - that's brilliant well done image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Just finished a wet LR ,limped through 21.5 miles ,8.13 mm. 

Simon- so your my way for your op...it will sort you out the recovery period will soon pass. 

Barry- I'm sure the calf  will go ok. The Berlin expo is a good start to the event. 

Chick- 80 miles?? Madness 

DD -back to swimming - thanks for the support 

• 2old - Yes, over your way for the op, but not stopping over hopefully. Nice 20miler btw.

The only fly in the ointment is the day after my op is my OH's b'day. Normally we go up to Coniston for a trip on the streamer and then to Chester's for lunch. But I don't think I'll be up to it, which will be a bit of a bummer, hopefully one of her friends can take her out for lunch/shopping insteadimage.

• Scuba - Very impressive & congratulations

2old - Knowing Barry he will have a list in his head, but the main focus is Berlin, I'm really looking forward to it now it's getting closer & i'm sure Barry will do well.

Simon - good that you have a date for the op - do you have a box set of anything you can watch as well - like Game of Thrones? Enjoy the 4 weeks recovery as it goes quick!

Minni - hope the calf is getting better

No running for me this morning, intending to run tomorrow morning but the mornings are quite dark now. Off to a YKW on Saturday & taking our dog as a deterrent for Barry not to run but rest! image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- go the day after the op..don't want to miss out on one of Chesters epic cakes

Pink- bet the list is big. We're all looking forward to Barry putting his reputation on the lineimage he's going to smash it 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

ST - brilliant IM.  That marathon time looks like you are in shape for a good chunk off 3.30 next time you do a stand-alone marathon

Simon - sheesh, at least its happening quickly

Chick - hope you are feeling better?  Best to ease back while you are feeling under the weather

Ant - nice aquathlon - have you got a tri coming up?  I hate running without socks so always take the time to put them on.  I use loose topped short socks for speed and have my laces loose so I can just slip my shoes on.  Elastic laces do the same, I started using them but now I dont bother.

Nice intervals freemers, and long run 2old

Hows the calf today minni?

Club mile champs tonight.  I can feel my lungs rasping in the back of my throat.  That hurt.  5.51 by my watch - 10s faster than 2 months ago.  image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC - nice fast mile...nowhere to hide doing one of those 

DD/Chick- 50 % of Boston places gone in two days -

@RunCompetitor: After 2 days of registration, more than half of the 2014 #BostonMarathon field has been filled: http://t.co/lNwD26AiLJ

• 2old: wow! I knew the interest was going to be immense but that is amazing.

KFC: imageimage 5:51!!!  Ace!! You have really come back strong after a tough year last year.

Still no improvement here image

• kfc -  Very quick mile from you.

2old - The only reputation I don't want to have is under achieving at marathon distanceimage. Nice long one by you, I was hoping to get one more longish one done but don't think that's going to happen now.  Are you planning an Autumn mara?

Freemers -  You are right, Berlin 2014 registration is from 30 Sep for 2 weeks, and then selected by random ballot.

• kfc - yeah, I have a relay tri next weekend in Dorney lake (you do all the disciplines, but are in teams of three so hand a virtual baton between each other), and one in Bedford in October (with a pool swim). I have to say I am enjoying the swimming, particularly the open water swimming. And I have always loved cycling.

It's the GNR this weekend isn't it? Your noreasteners are being very quiet. Weather forecast looks a little ropey - I hope it doesn't turn out that bad in reality.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-Dont think another LR will add much now . Still debating an Autumn marathon but I would say my achilles is putting it  at less than 40%. Ironically its the right one now-the left is just about fixed.Im limping badly today.

Ant-with you having cycling and running nailed you should be a natural triathlete

Chick-another day or two and you'll be fine

KFC-Im with you liking socks-my feet blister too easily

Minni-GNR Sunday-are you all ready for it? You may have to wear a coatimage

Not sure whether to rest or do some spinning today as tomorrow will be a write off

• Kfc: speedy mile. 

Ant: Welcome to the dark side

Scuba: the moment i entered Boston my Mojo returned! I guess it reminded me that I can run a bit, Age Group win at Henley helped as well!

2Old / Chick Boston was always going to be over subscribed this year, there will be a load of people with BQ times disappointed.

I have now have a place for the Grizzly, oh joys 20 miles of mud and hills.

Last nights Club session was hill work, coming after a 1/2IM and a hard tempo run on Tuesday It was probably a session too far, my legs rebelled on the last rep. So this morning was a 10K trot in 55 mins, still felt too hard!

• DD: you will love the Grizzly!  My claim to fame there was getting stuck up to my upper thighs in a bog and having to be pulled out like a cork from a bottle by 2 rather hunky runners. Best memory - being hosed down at he end by some gorgeous firemen image

KFC: wow, amazing!!

Ant: another cycling forumite image

Hope all the injuries are feeling better. We are both feeling rotten, just completely wiped out and suspect it is the aftermath of the virus - after all it is only a week since we came down with it and it has been pretty full-on ever since. Going to leave a decision on the HM until Sunday morning. Have 2 more Autumn HMs already booked plus the 10 mile county championships.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-your piling it on so s0on after Henley but as it was onlyimage a half IM I guess its no problem. Boston is going to be full of fast marathoners plus me limping along

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- plenty of sleep should sort out that virus. Cant see any ultras in your list-whats going on?

• O4S - I'd say rest is required but probably wasting my breath.image Are you doing Swindon HM this year, I'm tempted but only 2 weeks after Berlin so might have to wimp out and do the 5 miler.

• 2old: 50 mile event in October and the a couple of 30s before Christmas - ultra training proper starts in January along with marathon training!

Barry: just entered yesterday, it's a week before the 50 mile run, which is OK, but I think I will give Stroud a miss as it is the week after image

• Hi guys - been awol all week as have felt knackered for a few days and now just feel generally shit with a banging headache and dizziness.

O4S - welcome home and well survived.

ST - awesome stuff. Congratulations

DD/chick - great news on Boston

Minni - hows the calf?

Simon - rubbish news about the collar bone. Little bstards.

Barry - rest and ice. Don't push it.

2old- great long run, but don't push it if your Achilles is playing up. Not fair, hey.