RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• that's a fast tapir, very appropriate for carrot image

best of luck to the weekend racers.

I may rest today. ran 5 days in a row and don't want to overcook things.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- tut tut 5 in a row? Even I rested from running yestday image

• The tapir looks speedy!image Go go guys and DBS, all crossed for you.

O4S- good luck in Rotheram.

DD- oh how I love hill reps! Nice session.

Ant- that's a very speedy 7 miler.

Free- forget about the speed work, the main thing is you're feeling better.

Easy lunch time plod for me today. 10k tomorrow and then a hen night... at least I thought it was a hen night but now it turns out it starts at 2pm. I am so going to get hammered...image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Pink- this is what Rebecca Addlington says about paddles -

“Hand paddles are brilliant,” says Adlington, “because the resistance they create builds power and strength in your arms. This is particularly useful when you’re swimming in the sea, where you lose a lot of technique and it’s more about brute power.

Also, triathletes try to save their legs for the two other disciplines, so it’s good to build lots of arm strength. Saying that, triathletes are so fit it’s insane! They’re strong enough to use a two-beat kick, which would be a very good idea for a middle-distance tri swim.”

DD-AA-is it correct  about being so fit?

Bro- good the hen night isn't before the 10k. Have a fast race 

• Carrot - Good luck on Sunday.image I'm sure you'll smash it... DBS.

AA - Sounds horrible, but at least you now have a plan and as mentioned elsewhere, it'll be January before you know it.

Simon - Embarassed to say i've done exactly the same thing... New pair of Inov8 Roclite trailies sitting in the cupboard, calling my name!image I had to be physically restrained in my local running shop from buying new road shoes as well, just in case the operations change my running gait, so will reassess when both knees have been done... And then there's no stopping the retail therapy!image

Spoons - What HAVE you done???????image

Had my post-op assessment yesterday and other than poke around at a stitch that is poking out of the top of the scar, that refuses to dissolve, he did, nor said, very little? In fact he seemed to take great pleasure in spearing a Cyst/Ganglion that appeared on my right leg after the op! I thought you are supposed to wallop Ganglions with a bible... Clearly not??image

• Spoons image I might come and watch though, for a laughimage

Simon / Oompa - nothing wrong with hiding your new shoes away. I couldn't do that as my shoe cupboard is already full. Of non-running shoes of course...well a girl can never have too many pairs of shoes image

Oompa - I had a small ganglion on my hand a few years ago and my doc did tell me to get someone to "accidentally" drop something heavy on it! It went of its own accord eventually.

Good luck to the racers this weekend, especially carrot image
  • Oompa - sounds good! Well the the fact that the consultant didn't say anything - cos its usually bad image

Spoons - you'll be good in the IM - it is clearly right in your ball park - you're already a good swimmer and serial marathoner. Just need to put the hours in on the bike.

I'm starting to have HM plan concerns - its less than a month away and I will arrive at the start line having done less runs over 12 miles than last year - but overall I have ran faster. Arrgh. Was the the right thing to do?! I suppose time will tell. I have plenty of 10mile runs - hoping they will be sufficient.

Its probably the wrong place to say this - as I know you are all mileage monstersimage 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant- do a 15 this weeken and another next and you'll be there. You'll just have to fit them in around your mountain biking and fast stuff 

Oomp- expect the consultant couldn't get a word in with you rabbiting. image He didn't say ' don't run' so that's good . My gang lions went as my body fat reduced marathon training. 

Spoons- You know yoU can do it. 

• 2old - I don't feel very fit at all!!

spoons - excellent news. Walk in the park once you've sorted out the bike and mental aspect!

o4s - good luck this weekend to you and BA. 

Carrot - got everything crossed for you and parsnip. Go get all you deserve. 

Day 1 of marathon swim training today. 106 lengths in an hour. I miss the lake!

• 2old - I resemble that remark! Oh and thanks for letting me know that RUNNING will rid me of my Ganglion, when i can't... yet!imageimage

AA - 106 lengths!!!image Non-stop, or do you take a breather?

• Oomps - non-stop of course. All front crawl. I'm not into this interval stuff. That's why I never will get quicker. image

• Currently in Rotherham as the clouds build image.  Friend from Edinburgh wants to go round with us tomorrow (we have done a few hundreds together) so that should prevent BA and me arguing too much about the pace.  Friend has been injured so I have agreed a slower pace and lots of cake................

• Thanks 2Old something to think about for my Christmas list. I can believe Triathletes have strong upper body strength.

Old4speed I hope you & BA have a good trip

Oompa was always told to drop a heavy book on a Ganglionimage

AA That's a lot of lengths - how's the foot?

I'm off the sick bench & ready for swimming training this evening followed by a YKW tomorrow. Start as I mean to go on. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AA/Spoons - nutters. image

O4S - Pam is on her way too. Imagine, this time next year I'll be joining you. I can hardly wait.... image

• KFC, Freemers-3secs sounds easy on paper. What speed endurance sessions will you do? I like the speed sessions, well up to 1k reps but find the thought of running over 15 miles a struggle.

Ant- don't panic you have a few weeks to go yet!

spoons-omg!

AA- great swim for you.

I just googled ganglionimage Never heard of it before.

PL-good news that you are off the sick bench. 

Good luck to all the racers this weekend. 

I did my 5x1k reps today. I went to an industrial estate where there is a 1k loop, the first 400m are uphill then downhill and flat. Reps were quite even, pace for each were: 6:43, 6:39, 6:39, 6:40, 6:39 i wouldn't of kept this pace without a rest in between. Just annoyed with myself that I choose the 10mile hill run instead of a 15 mile road run this weekimage

• kfc - Definitely got a sub 3:15 in me, just got to find it.image  Go careful with the speedier stuff during mara training, usually my downfall.

O4S -  Enjoy your relaxing weekend away.

Spoons - Good luck and enjoy.image

Gazelle - Nice reps.

More Insanity today, Plyometric Cardio circuit, nice pool of sweat by the end.  We are off to Mexico next week and the weather is looking damp to say the least, so I better be running by then,  don't want to be sat at the bar all day.

• Oompa/ 2old - Glad your doc appointments/therapy went ok.

O4S - Enjoy Rotherham 50, and treat yourself to a Planet X road bike, excellent value. Mind you you'll need 2, otherwise you'll leave Ba even further behindimage.

Carot - You and Parsnip....DBS

Spoons - that tri should be alot cheaper than an official IM race, enjoy the training.

Ps. Editing is back up and running, for now 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Popping in briefly- nice 8 miler inthe drizzle earlier in 1.02 mins.  happy with That.  Don't mind a day off tomorrow 

Simon- I've no excuse for my crap typing now. Dr seems to be doing the job

Barry-   A few more miles per month and 3.15 is in the bbag

pink- enjoy the swim- hope Santa is more generous than some plastic swim aids

GAz- lots of fast 6s in those intervals

AA- I've got my sessions up to a 100 lengths now I'm going to have to add some more.  Intervals break up the monotony - I don't get any faster though . You are fit ...trust your cross training 

Oomp -you will run!!

o4S- bet you up the pace when the cakes gone

Good running all this weekend 

• I am now Spoons2 - i have no idea why!

I tried to change it back but it wouldn't let me image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

2 Spoons or not  2Spoons: that is the question! Takes me back to my A levels 

• 2spoons - Who's nicked your original 'spoons' insigniaimage, and where's the forum police when you need themimage.

• Good luck Carrot & Parsnip, am sure you're going to smash it!

Enjoy Rotherham O4S. Look forward to reading your exploits as they're never dull!

Will read back over the weekend, just popped in whilst doing the night feed

• 2old - that is positive that you can run after the shockwave treatment.  im still keeping everything crossed that I can run again. 

Spoons - put a dot after your name and reclaim your title!!

redders - go you doing night feeds!!

i am looking forward to the races and reports tomorrow. I'm off to Brighton for a fancy dress party tonight. Going as a 1920s flapper girl!! Eat your heart out Downton!!

• i think the dot thing is the issue. I always had a dot because some fecker took Spoons before me. But they no longer seem to allow dots, commas, or any special characters (I've tried them all). You're getting away with it though AA....

So - I need some advice from the hardened triathletes out there - I'm doing Brighton marathon. It's 16 weeks between brighton and the Anglian. I was going to spend this time doing loads of cycling and open water swimming.

between now and brighton I want to be marathon training with a little bit of swimming and cycling. the question is how little can I get away with. I'm pretty sure 1 swim a week will be fine as i know I can swim the distance. Can i get away with 1 bike a week (maybe on the turbo)?

• Spoons - what's your goal for Brighton?

• 19th - 2.30 plank, 50 press ups, 30 squats, 13 lunges

AA - dunno - see how it goes - I would like to do a quick one

• 2old Paddles are on the list along with fins, maybe goggles but I have just bought a new pair. If I don't receive them for Christmas I have my Wedding Anniversary & birthday just after & within a few weeks of each other so can always ask for then. Booking my flu jab for when I return from my holiday as don't want another cold. 

Spoons2 have you changed your name? your doing well with your exercise regime.

AA 20's night sounds great fun - enjoy

Swimming training last night was hard followed by YKW this morning & finished in 30.15 Garmin time image I could tell that I haven't run all week. Pesky cold. Looking forward to our trip to Mexico this week & can get some running & swimming training in. Although it looks like the weather is a bit rubbish at the moment.

• spoons: i dont believe you can get away with one ride a week as your not as far as i know a very experienced cyclist and going from almost zero to 112 miles in 16 weeks is asking a bit much. I always cycled 3 times a week when marathon training with a longer term goal of an IM. Would suggest that  2 x 90 mins and 1 x 2 - 3 hour rides per week would be better. Dont under estimate just how hard an IM is, get used to doing long runs the day after a long bike ride, it took me 12 months to be able to run happily the day after a 100 mile bike ride. ideally you want at least 5 or 6 100 mile rides before the day.  Its a great journey, enjoy it. 

Nothing for me today, Exmoor beast tomorrow. Some serious hills on Exmoor.

• Spoons - Don't forget whatever target you're aiming for, the bike leg is the longest discsapline of the 3, and it sounds like cycling is your weakest of the 3, so I would give more time to it. And as DD mentioned, brick sessions of bike/run.