O4S
    BA
    Freemers  

Boston:  

Chick DD 2Old  

Seville:   Brolish  

Manchester:   Simon  

any more to add?  

Chick-your wanting to do a double today with hills is very impressive.Great annual total by you but no suprise- Ive just logged 1500 which is about my third lowest but not bad considering my injured state since March. Hope to finish the year over 1600 but a lot of drinking opportunities might get in the way. When our weather gets bad I look at yours and feel a lot betterimage

Bro-welcome back and good to see you on track for a great Seville pb. Im still not 100%-probably about 70% whatever that means and lost fitness and speed so Im still taking each run as it comes

Oomp-At least you are getting some runs in and you can build on those

Pink-good to see you will be doing a time trial  

Did a  steady 10k this lunchtime in a bit under 8mm        

• 2old - Only until 9th Jan, then it's back to square one.image

Is Boston the week before London?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp-oh thats a pain in the proverbial for you. Boston is on 21st. I have a place for VLM but think it makes sense to defer it , pity ,as I really missed not running it this yearimage

• I'm already looking forward to the VLM/Boston double-header!image

• Shaz is running Boston too but she's disappeared ... I guess our Oxford antics have scared the newbies off image

• mighty glad we have a sticky on our thread now that the silly 26.2 thing is mushrooming again image  otherwise we'd be way down on page 27 or something ...

• 2old - Glad you added our maras on the list. Anyone would think it's all about VLM or nothing.......southernersimage.

Chick - I thought it was coming our way first, then over to Europe. You might be ok til the weekend. Re forum, I think as long as we post as often as we do, we'll always be near the top.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    +1 for VLM!

I've not got proper internet right now (or heating, or a fridge...) so I'll have to remember to check out that video when I do Simon. Thanks for posting it!

Freemers - There's a possibility I may get some bling for the 10k posted to me, rest assured, you guys will be the first to know...

Speed last night - 6x3mins, 2min recovery. My bike to work is now slightly further (7M), turns out that's long enough now to really notice when I've done speedwork the previous evening...
  • Hi Guys

A quick introduction - Yes im new to the forum and Yes im a finalist in the Asics 26.2 sub 3:30 category...but No Im not spamming for votes. Malcs from the forum suggested I come to this sub forum for advice so here I am.

Not that im throwing the towel in just yet on the competition but I need to consider a sub 3:30 training plan if im unlucky and don't have the support from the Asics team.

At Boot Camp we received a Runners World Coach Book Titled "Marathon Training Guide" which has a sub 3:30 training plan in it.

Have any of you used this training plan and if so how did you find it ? Did you achieve your sub 3:30 goal from following it ?

If not, do you have another sub 3:30 training plan that you would recommend ?

I'll assume some of you may not have read my profile so just some brief information about my current level:

Not completed a full Marathon before

PB's (all in 2013) 5K - 19:31, 5M - 33:58, 10K - 40:37, HM - 1:28:32

Some have commented on here that my sub 3:30 aim is very safe (based on my times) and that maybe I should have been aiming for quicker.  I have taken this on-board but really feel that I need to be realistic based on the fact that I haven't trained above 13m in the 18 months since I took up running.

Any advice would be appreciated and I promise not to post a link to my voting page (so long as everyone is nice of course) image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Marcus- welcome- looking at your pbs you could ( should)be looking at sub3.15 once you've had the experience of your first marathon. Don't know your long run history or the schedule you refer to.Have a look at the RW website sub 3.15 schedule and see if it fits in with your life and long run experience and maybe adjust it for 3.30 or look at the 3.30 schedule. They worked for me for sub3.30 and sub 3.15 . Others use P&D successfully too. Stay with us- you'll get lots of  useful advice and support And the natives are friendly. Good luck with the competition. 

KFC - bling image 

• Hi 2oldnever - Thank you for your reply.  I will take a look at the RW Website sub 3:30 plan tomorrow as im heading off to bed now.  Maybe I'll find its the same plan that's in the book we were given as its also RW. If so, im glad to hear that they worked for you.

I will stay around for sure and look forward to any advice you guys can offer.

Good night.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I know I'm not a regular on this thread but I just wanted to say that Marcus is a top bloke who quite obviously has masses of potential. 

He's definitely capable of sub 3:15 but seems to be a little uncertain of the unknown re. the marathon distance. If you can offer him any help as to how he should approach marathon no. 1 that would be brilliant!

Marcus, these guys really know their stuff and any thread with Minni's name on it is going to be quality image

• Welcome Marcus. You definitely look easily capable of sub 3:30 based on those PBs.

I booked a spring race today...sorry to disappoint you guys but it wasn't Halstead, it was another HM. Great Bentley on Feb 9 (so winter rather than spring really).

Club intervals tonight, another good session - 10 x 1/3 mile, more than half of which is up a gradual incline, then jog 300m back down to the start. Paces were all between 5:37-5:55mm - quite a bit faster than when I last did that session - and the last one was the quickest (although it did make me feel image), so very pleased with how my running's going at the moment.

• Marcus - welcome! You have great speed over shorter distances but you are probably right to set your sights a bit conservatively for your first marathon, as there are a lot of unknowns. I've not used the RW schedules but to be honest as long as it has a good mix of sessions (tempo, intervals, long runs) it's probably as good as any other for a first one. If you don't win the competition, which marathon will you do?

Daren - I was thinking about Great Bentley...do you know what the course is like? I haven't quite decided whether to put a HM in before London but if I do then that one might work.

No running for me today. Yesterday was an easy 8.5.
  • Freemers, it's meant to be fast, flat and scenic - definite PB potential if it's not windy.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    DarenF wrote (see).

I booked a spring race today...sorry to disappoint you guys but it wasn't Halstead, it was another HM. Great Bentley on Feb 9 (so winter rather than spring really).

Oh Daren you do play hard to get. image

Marcus - Welcome.  If you're the typical man you'll have a fast start but struggle to keep it going for the duration,  but onto the running... image

Yes, your times do suggest a faster marathon but many will tell you that it doesn't always follow.  The most important thing is to make sure you build up that endurance and don't slack on the long runs.  No matter how slow they are, they are what matters. If you're definitely doing a spring marathon then you should be running 16m long runs comfortably at the moment and a couple of 18s this month, ready to start the training.

I wouldn't worry too much about what time you might or might not do just now.  I train to the fitness I am at the moment.  Use paces based on your last pb and work with them.  Closer to the time you can put in a HM and see what comes out and that will help you decide on a realistic marathon pace.

We all have different approaches here: some of us are coached, some follow P&D, some make their own schedules, some only run, some cross train.  The common theme we all share is that we consistently work hard and that's what procudes good results. image

• Malcs - Thanks for the comments which will hopefully help me to settle in to this thread.

DarenF - Hello and thank you for your comments re achieving sub 3:30. I certainly hope so.

Freemers - Hello also and thank you for your comments.  Im glad you feel my decision to be slightly conservative for my first marathon is the right one.  Till now I haven't considered which alternative marathon to take part in should I not win the competition.  Im open to suggestions on a good course for a first timer. Im based in the South West but wouldn't rule out travelling further afield in the country for the right race.  The other half is not one to turn down a weekend away from the kids !

•  Minni - Hello and nice to meet you. My tea break at work has just finished so I will reply to your comments in more detail at lunch time. image

• Daren - thanks for the info. I've just checked my schedule and I have put in a cut-back week that week, with "only" 15 miles on the Sunday, so a HM (plus warm-up) will be perfect. I'll see you there!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Marcus- I believe there are a few here from the SW and Im sure they will reveal themselves to you at some stage.As Mini says -get the LRs in but I'm sure you know that .

Free-like the idea of a raced HM being a 'cut back'..dont they say allow a mile per day recovery for everymile racedimage. Does anyone follow that advice?It will be interesting to see everyones progress after the impressive year most(me-image) have had this year

Daren-I suppose at some stage you'll just decide to do a marathon for the hell of it a week before just because you can

Minni-thats put us in our placeimage

Its going to take a lot of determination getting me on the roads tonight in these aweful conditions

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Its carnage here.  I'm planning my intervals along the seafront later so hoping the sea surge doesn't happen. image  Already done a few miles early doors this morning.  

• Freezing here as well. The track was frozen for my tempo intervals this morning. I think it made me go faster! 3x 8min @ 6.50, 6.45 and 6.38. Happy with that.image

Marcus- welcome. Sounds like you have more than enough speed to go under 3.30 or faster. In terms of schedules the only one I've ever used was P&D and I highly recommend it. Have you got the book? Even if you don't use the schedules it's worth giving it a read- a lot of useful stuff. Other than that I would echo what the others said. You've got the speed so concentrate on getting the slow miles in and enough LSRs.

• Hi Marcus image

Mega windy here

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

So, are we doing a jantastic team this year?

• Minni - I thought we agreed never to mention the J word again image
  • Minni wrote (see)
    DarenF wrote (see).

Oh Daren you do play hard to get. image

Marcus - Welcome.  If you're the typical man you'll have a fast start but struggle to keep it going for the duration,  but onto the running... image

Yes, your times do suggest a faster marathon but many will tell you that it doesn't always follow.  The most important thing is to make sure you build up that endurance and don't slack on the long runs.  No matter how slow they are, they are what matters. If you're definitely doing a spring marathon then you should be running 16m long runs comfortably at the moment and a couple of 18s this month, ready to start the training.

I wouldn't worry too much about what time you might or might not do just now.  I train to the fitness I am at the moment.  Use paces based on your last pb and work with them.  Closer to the time you can put in a HM and see what comes out and that will help you decide on a realistic marathon pace.

We all have different approaches here: some of us are coached, some follow P&D, some make their own schedules, some only run, some cross train.  The common theme we all share is that we consistently work hard and that's what procudes good results. image

Hello again Minni - Thank you for sharing your knoledge with a forum newbie image

As it happens I am planning my first longish run for this Saturday, hopefully around 16-17 miles and I was thinking of trying to drop a min off my target marathon pace and run around 9min/miles.

I have read the Marathon training book we were given which also expresses the importance of the long slow runs and I take it all on board.  These longer distances will be a first for me !

Brolish - Hello and thank you for your comments. I haven't got the P&D book no, but will try and track it down.

Spoons2 - Hi, Windy in Swindon too !

• hi Marcus and welcome.

Impressive PBs btw. stick around, this is a great forum.

Bro: nice tempo work!

our office is shut. it's in the harbour area which is supposed to be under water tonight and tomorrow morning so I got home early. mahoosive gales out there. glad I got my 10miler in this morning. Very slippery in places so pace was a bit shit...

It's our office Christmas party tomorrow. hopefully things will have calmed down by then...

we are not going to bother with Jantastic are we?
  • Welcome Markus.

I used the RW sub 3.30 programme for my first marathon in 2010 and it was a bit too much for me as i'm fairly brittle and kept breaking down. With the benefit of hindsight, i didn't have nearly enough base miles under my belt before embarking on the programme, and i think that RW altered it in 2011, reducing the total miles and incorporating more rest in the schedule, so it may be better now?image

However i'm with Brol and many others on here and now use the P&D Advanced Marathoning schedules, which explains not only what you need to do, but also importantly WHY!

Unfortunately i am going to have to abstain from the "J word" due to the op... Shame, i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to it!!!image

• Chick: wash your mouth out! Nobody is allowed to mention the 'J' word.

Marcus: if you don't win a place in wherever it is you are trying to win a place in, you might want to consider the Taunton marathon, usually a week or two before London. I can't comment on training plans etc because I have never followed one - but then again I have never broken 3.30 image

Do you think mid-march is cutting it a bit fine for starting training for VLM image

Windy and cold here too..........