RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Welcome Marcus And Malc. Have a great time if you get picked for Asics 26.2. I made bootcamp a couple of years ago, but didn't get to the voting stage. You'll get some great advice/tips on here, not that I've managed to put them into practice image. I'm in the 'less is more' camp. The less time you spend training, the more time it takes to run a marathon, and I've perfected it over the years.

Did a progressive 5m this morning, the weather was awful. Waves breaking over the sea wall and flooding the coast road, and gale force winds, you could hardly stand up in it.....Good job I was on the gym TM watching itimage.

Shall we bow out of Jantastic at the top, before we drop down the divisionsimage.

• Chickadeee - Hello and Thank You for your comments.  All that's missing from those PB's is a first Marathon time and then I'll have the full set to try and improve on image

I'll be sticking around for sure and hope that the forum can help get me that sub 3:30 time.

Oompa - Hello. The 16 week sub 3:30 schedule in the RW Marathon Training book incorporates 2 rest days all the way through with weekly mileage starting at 26m, ramping up to 48m by week 12 and tapering down to 39 on race week (inc race of course)  Does that sound familiar or easier than the RW plan you followed ?

Old4Speed - Hello. I will do some research on the Taunton Marathon, is it nice and flat ? image

simon62w - Hello.  Boot Camp was a really great day as im sure you know from your experience of it.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Not going to do that J thing as being a superstitious person the only time I ever did it was last year and I ended up injured. There were times when I squeezed in a run to meet the targets when perhaps I should have rested. 

Simon,Minni ,Chick ,Bro- well done getting out there today. It was tough enough  for me just walking through Liverpool to the Italian restaurant image to carbo load this lunch time.

Marcus - how many 18/20 milers are there in the schedule?

anyway when I saw our cats refuse to go out this evening I decided to hit the dread mill instead to do 12 miles av 7.33mm with  3 intervals of incline totalling 5k. Office party tomorrow...imageOh no. 

• 2oldnever - 7 plus 2 suggested half marathons from week 6 - 14

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Marcus- that should do the job nicely. I don't think I've ever done more than one HM in any marathon schedule but others here will have done more. 

• Excellent. If im not lucky enough to win the C*********N and get the tailored schedule then I think I'll give this one a go.  I can incorporate some of the runs into my daily commute instead of cycling so Im not out so many evenings and one run a week is only a short one 3-4m max at 9min/mile which I wont really count as a days training image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - my office party tomorrow too so that'll mean another 5 am run tomorrow. Determined to stay sober this year after wakening up last year in a strange house and not having a clue where I was...!!! 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- I hope to squeeze in 5 late afternoon as for the first time ours is in the evening. I'm making no promises about my sobriety .image

Marcus- which marathon is the Aisics comp for? Paris isn't it ? 

• Yes 2oldnever its Paris. 16wks (conveniently) from next week when the winners are announced.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Marcus- thought so. I supported my daughters first attempt at a marathon there this year . It has the  potential for a fast time. Ant from here did it too

• 2oldnever - Im sure it would be a great experience and a fantastic venue for a first marathon.  And if its fast too, then that's even better.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Marcus - welcome. Your PBs would indicate you've the potential for sub 3.15, but for your first marathon I think you are really sensible setting a more conservative target. You are more likely to have a good day out, and once you've done one you'll know how to improve on the next!

Sounds like you've not done runs beyond 13M before? so the most important thing will be to build up the long run distance gradually, get your body used to it so you avoid injury. Many on here have been doing this for years so can (relatively) happily bash out loads of 20's, but if you've not done this before you'll find that tough on your body. I think 7 20's is excessive - I'd say a go for minimum of 2 (that's the most I've ever managed!).

Also, I'm a massive fan of cross training - I think marathon schedules often have too much running. Long days out on the bike with friends are great for building your aerobic base.

Simon - your less is more comment made me snort out loud...

And after all that, I CBA'd my run tonight. image
  • kfc - Hello.  That's some good advice you have given me there, thank you.

I was trying to think how I could incorporate (or fit in) some cycling into my week occasionally as I still intend to try a triathlon next year.

Do you think the same can be done with swimming ?  I like to open water swim once a week in the summer, usually 1 1/2 miles.  Could this be used instead of a running day or maybe I could reduce a running days mileage and do a swim / run ?

I plan to start my long slow runs from this Saturday so all being well I will report back and let you all know how it went. I was going to aim for 16/17m at around 9min/m pace.  Do you think that is too much ? Wk 1 of the RW schedule I have only requires 10m at 9m/m.

Im going to have to come back to this tomorrow as I need to sleep !

Good night.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Marcus it depends on what long runs you've done over the last few weeks. Don't jump up to 16 for the sake of it.  What distance had your lsr been recently? 

• Welcome Marcus - i'm afraid that I can't offer any Marathon advise as I have never attempted one. My OH run's them & has used the P&D Advanced Marathon schedules.

I only started seriously running this year & venturing into HM territory next year but I do mix my training with swimming which helps me.

Quick question to anyone - what's Jantastic?

No running for me yesterday although it was nice & windy here in Swindon. Our running group ventured for a curry at lunchtime which was lovely. The weather hasn't been as bad as other places. Continuing with the HM training plan & trying to work out when to run today followed by my usual swim training session.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend & Minni if you are running the 50k

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Marcus - your key run sessions each week will be your long run, tempo run, and speedwork. Don't bin these. If you've got recovery runs in there - shorter slower runs - you can happily switch these for bike or swim sessions. You may find it helps you avoid injury by giving you a break between running days, and stops you getting bored of too much running.

What minni said about your long run - say if your recent lsrs have been 10, do no more than 11 or 12.

Pink lady - don't mention the J word!
  • The first christmas party done. Brol 1: Hangover: 0. Result!image Round 2 tonight but with the xc tomorrow it shoud be easier to be good. Rest day today.

Yes, please let's not mention the J word!

Chick- hope things have calmed down for you today. Enjoy the party!

2Old- nice dreadmill session.

Enjoy your christmas parties tonight everyone and good luck if you're attempting to stay sober (ish).imageimageimage

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Welcome Marcus. You have come to the right thread. The guys here know their stuff. For your long run tomorrow I would do 2m more than your usual long run and slowly build on this over the following weeks, and take a cut back week every 4th week. The trick with marathon training is finding out what works for you. I hope it all goes well for you.

Pinklady - good start to the half marathon training

Daren - very fast reps. It's good to see improvement from the last time you did that session.  

Brolish - fast tempo session there. Good luck in the xc tomorrow.

I have my first cross country race of the season tomorrow. Need to get some  longer spikes for my shoes with all the rain the past few days!

Good luck to everyone racing / running this weeeknd.  

• Whoa, stormy night. Half of the streets around my workplace are still flooded. I made it though image  not sure I would have bothered if it wasn't for the xmas pardeee ...  

Bro: well done on no hangover. I am determined to stay pretty sober too. It's another rough night out there weather-wise (snow is on the way) and I really want to make it home in one piece and not get stranded in random places ... or wake up in a strange house image

Plan is to enjoy the dinner, a few glasses of wine and then call it a day. Mind you, that's what I said last year too. And i came home at 6 in the morning imageimage

Marcus: like the others said: don't jump up to soon. It's a recipe for injury.
    +1 for what col said image

Pinklady: "J" is Marathon Talk's motivation campaign. It goes over 3 months and usually starts with people committing to a certain number of runs for month 1, number of runs plus distance for month 2 and number of runs, distance plus a predicted race time for month 3. You enter as a team and your results are measured by the team's motivation, i. e. do they match the runs that were logged previously. We did well in 2012...    as for 2013 image

Rest day today. Bliss image

• Running in Cromer was fun last night..... image

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2013-12-05/cromer-pier-hit-by-storm-surge/

Running club xmas party tonight image

Tomorrow will be image

• I was taken down with that vomiting bug that's doing the rounds earlier this week, horrible image On the plus side it coincided with a planned rest day, and I've lost the few pounds I put on over November.

Well done on the VLM place Ant! image Another one for the sub-3:15 train.  There should be a few of you going from each start, might be worth grouping together and pacing each other round?  I'll be spectating with a pint image

Minni well ran on Saturday, just as well I had that 2 minute head start! 

Great double racing at the weekend kfc, brilliant new parkrun PB! Shame the race wasn't the right distance but a win is a win.  Hope you've got the gas and the internet connection sorted!

Belated welcome to Marcus - yes, on paper you can sail round under 3:30 (maybe even under 3:20 on your first attempt).  I'd get your training plan sorted first and see how things are going at halfway.  I've always thought that speed is so much harder to gain than endurance, but so many runners do get caught out with the marathon.  If I was in your position I would aim to get the endurance to be able to complete 16M easily before New Year.  Then let the marathon training commence. 9mm is a good plan, you can always up that pace slightly as the weeks progress and you get used to the miles.

Enjoy the office parties 2old and Minni, hope yours was fun too Chick.  And the running club party for you Spoons! Both of those are next weekend for me.

Nice intervals Daren!

Nothing like racing a HM in a 'cut back' week Free image At least it's a mini taper, it'll probably work out well.

Yes let's do Jantastic! Although my race prediction for March will be a marathon... Pinklady it's just a challenge from the Marathon Talk people, you set running targets each month (eg, I will do 4 runs a week) then just update each week what you've actually done. There are teams and you score points for each run, the more people stick to their goals, the more points you score.  It's good to keep you motivated but everyone seems to hate it!

• Minni, KFC, Col, Chickadeee - I will take all your comments on board and will drop down to 12 for my first LSR.  Ive been concentrating more on shorter (7m) tempo runs lately and haven't done a double figure run for around 6 weeks. Prior to that I was training for HM's so there were a few 10+ runs in my schedule but obviously at faster than marathon pace.

I'd like to think 12m at 9min/m pace will be very comfortable for me, I almost feel that I should be doing more, but I also appreciate that with the marathon training I'll be running more than my current 3 times per week so I need to ease into the whole schedule slowly and building up the LSR is part of that process.

Thanks for your comments and advice guys, you have all been extremely welcoming since I very nervously introduced myself image.  Ive already benefited from this thread, I've learned about X Training and when it might be used and the importance of the various training runs, LSR, Tempo and Speed. Also not to rush into the long slow runs. Regardless of the competition outcome your advice will help me to achieve my goals and Im sure you guys have plenty more to offer.

• Carrot wrote (see)

Belated welcome to Marcus - yes, on paper you can sail round under 3:30 (maybe even under 3:20 on your first attempt).  I'd get your training plan sorted first and see how things are going at halfway.  I've always thought that speed is so much harder to gain than endurance, but so many runners do get caught out with the marathon.  If I was in your position I would aim to get the endurance to be able to complete 16M easily before New Year.  Then let the marathon training commence. 9mm is a good plan, you can always up that pace slightly as the weeks progress and you get used to the miles.

Carrot - Pleased to meet you. Again some excellent advice that I will take on board.  I will start with 12m tomorrow and aim to ramp up by 2 per week in my long runs through Dec. That would put me up at 16m by the new year which is a little over what my RW book schedule requires, but I think I can manage it. Obviously I'll be stepping into new territory so I'll listen to my body and adjust if necessary.

• Had an absolute nightmare last night - I thought the trains might be bad because of the wind, and sure enough we got near to Chelmsford and our train was brought to a halt because of a fallen tree further down the line. After a long wait we finally off the train, and I made it home 2 buses and a car journey later - almost 5 hours since I left the office

Thankfully I am working at home today so had a long lie in and ditched my run too - just feel knackered! It was only an easy 5 so no real problem to skip it. Tomorrow I'm doing a tempo session incorporating the YKW. Then 18 on Sunday - it looks like the weather should be a bit milder and less windy by then.

Marcus - good plan to step up the runs gradually. You might struggle to keep your pace down, but it really works so keep at it!

Carrot - hope the bug has cleared...must really wipe you out.

Hope everyone enjoys their christmas parties - mine's not for another 2 weeks.
  • No problems with weather in London. I reckon the meeja is making it all upimage 7 mile tempo session last night and 5 mile easy at 7am this morning (gulp - a bit early for me)

Hello Marcus - I've got a cycle-swim-involved marathon plan myself. Here's my recipe: take one 55-70 P&D program, strip out two recovery runs, insert 2 swims and mix in 1 long cycle - bake for 12 weeks and see what happens. I don't know whether it will work, but I am happy to be an experiment of 1 again image

Carrot - winter puking - are you sure there wasn't an office party involved?

AA - I was mailed details on a 10K swim from Galeforce events who do tri stuff in Bedford. They are doing a 10K swim option in their mass start event in August in box end lake, which is meant to me nice. Here is a link in case you are interested. 

• Ant - I reckon that plan will work a treat!

• Hi Freemers  - Im sure you are correct.  I did a 7m run at 8min/m marathon pace this week and even that felt slow, so those first few miles of a LSR at 9min/m are going to be hard !

Hello Ant P - Once I know the outcome of the competition and what schedule Im going to be using, I can look into tailoring to hopefully inc a cycle and or swim. 

• Can I geg in on ur forum ?image and ask for everyone to take 2 minutes of their time to read my story & if u like it then pls vote for me in the final 19 to run paris marathon in April.  http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-430-finalists.aspx

• Ant - Your marathon training plan sounds like something KFC does, so should work.

Cheryl - So even thou you're aiming for sub4:30 for Paris, you'd thought you would post on every RW forum image.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a tasty VLM cake there ant!

Marcus - if you've not done much over 7 recently, then perhaps you'll be better starting off with a 10. Pace wise, you will find it feels almost too slow, especially on the shorter runs, but once the runs are 15+ you'll be glad of the slower pace! I like to do lsr's on scenic undulating off road routes - I find it easier to switch off from the pace and enjoy just being out - I find it much harder doing that on a route where I usually hammer the pace.

ps. you don't necessarily have to increase the number of runs you do a week - you can train well for a marathon on 3 runs a week, as long as you do the right kind of sessions. On here theres a big spread of approaches - some find high mileage works, others do lower. In time you'll find what works for you!

YKW tomorrow, then great boo's up all day long. Gah.