RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• XC for me today - Avon County Championship plus Gwent League (our regular league). Huge turnout as it was not only the Avon CC but also Somerset and Wiltshire. It was a rather boring course, but I paced myself better than last time and didn't die at the end. Ended up winning the Avon Championship F55 and also the Gwent League F55, so a good day at the office - although I still hate XC!

• Barry-B - Hello and thank you for the advice.

Kiwi - Hello image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- good to see you back. Good to see running helps you through these tough times 

Kiwi- hope all is well with Mr K. You have had a lot of worries recently. 

Marcus- good start to the LR - the idea is to get time on feet and not take the rest of the week recovering so you can do quality runs then. I tend to run how I feel with one eye on what my next tough run is . I just can run slower than 8.50 mm

Simon- weather was perfect this am for a LR so why tomorrow? Any way I did mine rhis afternoon in the drizzle. Lovely

Free- another fine ykw .

AA- pleased to seethe double. Hope you wake up asymptomatic 

Minni- not a rap HM at all. Done with no pressure plus 7 more and a cracking average for 20. Bet you can't wait to get into marathon training to see what comes out at the end 

O4S- amazing again . I know why your moving house- to make room for the trophies. Very impressed ...as ever. Seriously where do you stand possibly representing GB? 

Spoons - 13 unllucky for some- not you

Chick - excellent LR and weekly total...same as me this week but I'll cut back next week

7miles on Friday after warm up alternating half miles of just under 7mm and half mile of around7.15mm. Today as penance for my excesses over the last few days did my first 20 since August and the second since March. Took it easy averaging 8.24 mm . Getting a nice base for January. Another busy social week so may not get out running much. image

• Minni - Your flying. Time for a coffee and crunchie, then back out for a couple of laps with a sub3:15 runner. He can't be that awesome if you had time to do all that before he finishedimage.

2old - Nice fast 20 as usual, I presume Achilles was ok? Yes perfect weather this morning, but I had a fight with the CNBA fairy and lostimage

O4S - Awesome as usual, blingtasticimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - he's a sub 3 runner but yesterday was 3:22 for his 46th marathon! 

O4S - fantastic as ever! I was telling Poacher about you yesterday.  I think Marathon Talk should have you on their show. 

Carrot - a trophy but no dosh! 

2old - are you feeling the injury is behind you? don't be scare to plod! image

Nice one Spoons.

Barry - good to have you back. image

• Chick - 16 mile run, brilliant.

Kiwi - I've played netball since I was 7 & for a non contact sport the damage is from being knocked over image I was even knocked over when I was a coach image

2old - nice run there. The next official swimming time trial for me is in March & we started next year's training plan so I'm guessing by then I should be ok. The recent loss of Barry's mum had left me feeling a little under confident not just with swimming but feeling a lot better now.

O4S brilliant again image

Simon - will get the opportunity to run along Blackpool's beach in a couple of weeks which should be good.

Diversity are a dance group who won Britain's Got Talent 5 years ago. The main guy is Ashley Banjo who also has a show on Sky called "so you think you can dance" & is a judge on "got to dance". Highlight of the evening was when he ran passed me & hi 5 my hand image

Minni Great run there - congratulations imageimage

I'm proud that I am organised & got the running kit ready for a lunchtime run today

• Morning everyone. Sorry if I appeared to be ignoring everyone yesterday, but our neighbours took pity on the celebration-less state of my birthday last week and invited us round for a drink, or two, or three...........

Minni: even I wouldn't turn a HM into a 20 mile run, turning 50k into 50 miles is a different matter image

Kiwi: sorry to hear about you various woes, especially Mr K. Hope they get to the bottom of it quickly. Where were your passports last seen or heard of?

AA: at this rate you'll be lining up at Bramley fit and raring to go.

2old: is the Achilles OK this morning?  Where I stand as regards GB is at the back of the queue!

Barry: welcome back, I'm sure you did your Mum proud

Freemers: I feel sick just thinking of that pace image

What's all this with people starting marathon training already? I was thinking mid March but perhaps I should bring that forward a couple of weeks..........

Another 5 mile race on Thursday so a good excuse to throw in a couple of rest days this week

• Minni- good work yesterday and congrats on the bling.

Kiwi- virtual hugs. Hope Mr Kiwi is ok and hope you get your passports back soon.

Marcus- good work on your LSR.

FRC- hope it's all going well with the new role at work.

Barry- welcome back. Nice start to the Barcelona campaign.

Free- very nice consistent pacing at the YKW!image

AA- sounds positive on the foot front.

Chick- nice 16.5 miler.

O4S- well done on the xc. Don't we all hate them?

2Old- good 20 miler.

I had the Surrey Ladies League xc on Saturday- ouch ouch ouch. Some truly vomit inducing hills. Topped it up with 8m steady @ 7.28 yesterday and ended up with rather impressive DOMS. Easy 5m plod done before work and some faster stuff still to come later today.

• Freemers wrote (see)
    21.23 this morning at the YKW. Really enjoyed it for once - aiming for a controlled tempo pace, mile splits were 6.56, 6.51, 6.46 and then 6.41 pace for the last bit. So a bit off a PB but I had something in reserve which is always good to know.

Just about to have a well deserved glass of wine cos I've finished wrapping all my Christmas presents....we have our annual family gathering next weekend so had to get it done. I really hate wrapping!!!

Did ours last night.  Nice pacing there - are you sure you don't want to get here earlier next Saturday morning for a YKW rematch?

• CD - no way image ....I saw CD Junior's result this week and he would beat the pants off me - great new PB on Saturday! Plus I need to do my long run on Saturday as I don't fancy 18 over the Downs on Sunday! Might do the Epsom 10 route but that's about it.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-they dont know what they are missing-whats all this short running/racing stuff youre doing anyway?

Bro-XC does seem to produce quality DOMS so nice running afterwards inspite of it

Pink-you'll soon get that confidence back

Simon-hope you beat the CNBA today

Minni/Simon/O4S- achilles still a bit sensitive but no pain which is the key thanks.They should be anyway having bumped up the number and  mileage and the pace of some runs last week. I really fancy doing a race but cant find a free weekend until January...frustrating

• Minni - Nice way to get the miles in, congrats on the placing.

Brol - Busy few days running for you, are you doing many doubles?

2old - Well done on the 20, must be good to get back doing them.

Simon - Have you beaten the fairy today?

O4S -  Congrats, I think we all know you are marathon fit and longer all year round.image

AA - Good news on your return to longer running.

Kiwi - Don't worry about how fast, just get the miles in.  Any firm race plans?

Chick -  Fast mara ,I wish, good long run from you.

Late back last night from Diversity, worth it though as very good, Pink got a bit excited after touching(sounds a bit wrong) Ashley and Perri. But woke early this morning so went out for a slow 4. I'm up for Jantastic even though I only lasted til Feb last year.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Kiwi - I hope Mr Kiwi is ok.

Freemers - that's a very well paced parkrun

Marcus - good pace control on the long run. I often do my lsr on a hilly route to keep the pace right

Barry - good to see you back. Good to hear that training has stated well for Barcelona. For VLM I was very fortunate to get in through the public ballot.

AA - it's great to see you make good progress

Brolish  - sounds a tough XC. Well done a very fast 8m the next day.

Minni - that's a good time in the half marathon. Well done for 1st V40

O4S - good work at the XC

2old - nice 20m run

I had a XC race on Saturday and got the pacing totally wrong. Started out too fast and got progressively slower on each of the 3 laps. Bad DOMS yesterday!

• XC season clearly in full swing. I got involved myself this Sunday, and bizarrely I even enjoyed it. Beat a couple of people I always finish behind - and this is despite having an Xmas related skinful on Friday night. Can't say I came first in my AG or broke any records tho!

Kiwi - what a shock for you & Mr Kiwi - hope they find out what caused it.

• Good racing over the weekend - especially all you XC'ers....I'm still not tempted!

Minni - love the lost car story image

2old - are you sure a 20 is a good idea right now? I really hope your achilles is settled. As Minni says, don't be scared to plod!

Chick - great you are getting some long ones in, and over 50 for the week image

AA - how has your foot reacted?

18 miles for me yesterday, averaged 8.20s and they were pretty even after the first couple of slower miles.

CD - on second thoughts I might be able to do ny long run on Friday instead if I can sneak out of the house for long enough (I'm working at home)....so maybe I could make the Banstead parkrun after all. I'll see - if I do I'll see you there and you can do me breakfast afterwards! And if I've done another 18 the day before then it won't be fast. Just getting my excuses in now...
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-at least you got to your marathon-just- after dropping out of Jantastic, I did it and didnt get to mine. Yes enjoyed the 20 even in the drizzle and on the dark lanes

Free-my physio would probably have the same concerns as you but Im not going to do another until January -probablyimage. That was a good paced 18. Are you banking them before Xmas?

Col-another DOMs causing XC -nice race-how do you pace those things anyway?

Ant-this XC thing is catching-maybe I should give it a go one day

10k easy TM followed by 11.25k  spinning this lunchtime.

• 2old - Yes beat the CNBA today. 12.44m in 1:47:24 @8.38 ave pace on the TM. Listened to some music to keep me motivated, but shoulder all ok.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- well done for getting it done. Easier from now on. 

• Right - I have just finished my entry on the virgin site and I am officially in VLM 2014 image Predicted time 3.13 - seemed like a nice number image

simon - nearly 2 hours on the treddie! oof

2old - XC - totally - get yerself in some spikes

• Ant - Not 3:14 for 2014, good luck. What's your current Pb? Yes I thought the same thing Re TM, so that's why I tuned in to some DJ Quicksilver and Rozallaimage.

• can't beat a bit of 90s cheesy Trance to alleviate treadmill boredom, Simon. nice long run there.

Brilliant effort at various XCs at the WE

nice 20s there Min and 2old. Planning my first 20 of the campaign this WE and a cut back after that.

O4S : us Non-bionic lesser mortals have to start Base building early .... you'll be fine starting in marchimage

fab news Re VLM, Ant
  • Tempo club run last night - a few tired legs after the XC so not quite as manic as some weeks.  Cycle to work this morning didn't feel like December - what a difference to last year!!  A mild winter would surely mean snow for the Spring marathons image

2old: I have realised that I have neither the willpower nor the inclination to do intervals on my own and that short intervals, as favoured by my running club, don't really do much except knacker my legs.  Solution?  Short fast races where the competitive instinct or fear or letting the team down, mean that I run flat out and get some speed work in.  I did intervals religiously last winter and ended up with some rubbish races in the spring including my massive PW in VLM, so have decided to try a different approach

• Ant- great news on the VLM.image and love the target!

O4S- nice tempo running.

Col- I don't think I have ever managed to pace a xc well. No matter what I do it ends up hurting like hell. I should probably work on my pacing skills for the next one.... South of the Thames 7.5mimage.

Simon- well done for getting this session done on a dreadmill.

Barry-Yes,  I am doing quite a few doubles at the moment... up to 4 a week with the AM usually being just a short easy plod and PM quality.

45min steady to do later today. Having a bit of a cut back week before the Milton Keynes Half Mara on Sunday.

• Simon -  Good treadmill run, I'm hoping for decent weather and an injury free winter as my local tready/x training option has gone, gym has closed down and is now a Morrisons.

Ant  -  Nice VLM target, should be a few  from the thread around that time. 

Brol - I did a couple of doubles last week, during week of night shifts just to get the runs in and did n't find them too bad.

First speedwork since august for me this morning, 4 x 1mile with 2 min rec, certainly lost some speed but happy with 6:53,6:51, 6:54,6:54.

• Simon - is that your longest run yet? Well done.

barry - that's pretty quick to me!

ant - you'll be celebrating in Chandos come April 13th!

O4S - I'm with chick - march is perfect for you to start training!

bro - target for Sunday? You mid marathon training now aren't you? 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-admit it, you race for the gloryimage.Its a plan thats working very well. Snow at VLM-now that would be different. My bet is 23cimage

Barry-you cant really complain about those reps-very consistent. Looks like you and Ant will be pacing each other-probably with Minni and a few others from here

Ant-like the target and putting it out here so soon. Hope the predicted time gets you near the front at the start

Chick-some of you must be bionic.

Simon-missed that you did that run on the TM-agony but builds mental strength.

Bro-with doubles you must be building up a good weekly total. Is this planned to be a flat out HM? (Arent they allimage?)

• AA and 2Old- Yes, definitely a flat out attempt on Sunday, I wouldn't be allowed an easy week otherwise!. Hoping for a pb... so under 1.34 but not quite sure what to expect from the course. It says partly offroad and undulating... It's the first year running so not much info out there. Will have to see but I am definitely planning to give it a good go. image

• AA - Yes longest to date, I find TM runs easier than real life. I should maybe add 1-2% incline, or maybe not.

Barry - Like most stores there's probably about 100 aisles, so use them for intervals. Sprint down one and recover down the next. Add some slaloming round trolleys, kids etc. Finish off in the freezer aisles, where you could jjump in one for an ice bath, I'm sure the manager won't mind, just tell him it's his fault for closing your gym, and your VLM training lol.
  • Ant - nice target for VLM. I can't remember what I put down, probably about the same, at least it would have been sub 3.15. To be honest on Green anything predicted under 3.15 gets you right at the front...well, behind all the celebs of course image. 3.13 on Blue should get you in Pen 2 I would think so you should get away pretty quickly. And we'll merge with you after a mile so look out for the Team Minni ladies image

Barry - good to get some speed back.

Simon - good work on the TM.

Intervals D&D today - 5 x 1200m @ average 6.50 pace.
  • Hi everyone,

Kiwi, hope mr kiwi is ok. That sounds very scary.

Nice 20s Minni and 2Old and solid 18 Freemers. Simon & Barry, good work from both of you too. Good to see you're on the way back.

Bro, good luck with the HM PB attempt.

Well, yesterday my definitely not marathon training continued with another 20-miler, and considering endurance has always been my weak point, it was probably my best ever training run image

Ran largely by feel (I'd have told myself to STFU if I'd have checked the garmin too much I think!) and ended up averaging 7:33mm. Even better, the first 10 miles were at 7:43 and the last 10 @ 7:23 so a big negative split too image